Orleans
Which is why they talk about Weber in this Out of the Town thread. lol
DecisiveKindDuck-size_restricted.gif

In a nutshell, Subban’s future in the NHL past this contract......:laugh:

Reactions: the

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Agree......they just didn’t start their season 4-0 and steam rolled through the opposition like some thought they would.

we lost vs Tampa and it’s the end of the world, blow everything up, but the Rangers lose half their games early in the season and we praising patience, it’s funny how that works sometimes lol
The Rangers have acknowledged a rebuild though, surely you don't see them being in a position to be a contender right away?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The Rangers have acknowledged a rebuild though, surely you don't see them being in a position to be a contender right away?
That’s not what posters told me here......

added :

Panarin
Kakko
Trouba

Clearly not a team that’s all in

btw

successful hunt......3 moose

got pics if you interested :)

55”
36”
spike horn

now with over 200lbs of meat in the freezer plus all the Pike and Pickerel

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He would look exactly like he is right now. Some guys have shorter carrier it happens and it's not that uncommon. The question i'll always ask myself is more would Edmonton have traded Nurse+4th overall for Subban? Yes you got to draft the right player with the 4th. But having a 4th overall and a 9th overall would have been a good way to start a rebuild. And i always liked Nurse potential and i still do. Would have been a gamble no doubt. But i would have been more happy with a trade like that. Maybe you even get Edmonton to add a little bit more i mean Chiarelli was bad AND desperate. Not a good combination.

Edmonton did not like PK's salary, that was the sticking point.

Report: Trade talks involving the Oilers and P.K. Subban stalled due to salary concerns - Puck Drunk Love

“Chiarelli wouldn’t comment, but multiple sources said conversations between the Canadiens and Oilers did not last very long at all. The Oilers did not like the ask, and they know McDavid could become the highest-paid player in the NHL. They were not interested in pairing whatever that number will be with Subban’s $9M.
An Edmonton-Montreal deal was never close.”

Instead they traded for Larsson, which we can be honest was a much worse deal. Gave away a hart player for a decent D man.

I think very few teams were willing to take PK's salary. Even the VAN GM said that the asking price was high for PK and got in trouble with the league for it.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Edmonton did not like PK's salary, that was the sticking point.

Report: Trade talks involving the Oilers and P.K. Subban stalled due to salary concerns - Puck Drunk Love

“Chiarelli wouldn’t comment, but multiple sources said conversations between the Canadiens and Oilers did not last very long at all. The Oilers did not like the ask, and they know McDavid could become the highest-paid player in the NHL. They were not interested in pairing whatever that number will be with Subban’s $9M.
An Edmonton-Montreal deal was never close.”

Instead they traded for Larsson, which we can be honest was a much worse deal. Gave away a hart player for a decent D man.

I think very few teams were willing to take PK's salary. Even the VAN GM said that the asking price was high for PK and got in trouble with the league for it.

If that was the case, why didn't the team offer to retain salary? It's not like we were/are the Arizona Coyotes - Molson is sh**tin cash and we had tons of cap space.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Retaining salary over 8 years is dumb as hell.

Just what I was going to say. We would be like the leafs with some of Kessels salary on the books even though he is now on his 2nd team since the trade.

PKs value across the league was not matching with Habs fans value. I think it peaked after he went to Nash and he had the great run in the playoffs that year. Probably could of got a very good trade for him after that year. But when he was a hab there was a difference in value between fans and GM's.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's already started - the MB defenders spinning the new narrative of ..." well, look at Subban, he's declining too, so the trade is at worst is a wash"

I cannot believe people are still defending that trade.... i'll keep maintaining that Weber has brought nothing to this team due to injuries and ineffectiveness and there's no hope that it will change going forward

In the end, we'll probably have to trade a pick or prospect (and eat salary) just so someone will get him off our hands
Narrative changed on both sides. We went from losing the worst trade in franchise history since Roy to simply not getting enough for the younger asset, and it being a useless move. Funny how that works when both sides have the advantage of hindsight.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Narrative changed on both sides. We went from losing the worst trade in franchise history since Roy to simply not getting enough for the younger asset, and it being a useless move. Funny how that works when both sides have the advantage of hindsight.

Despite the advantage of hindsight, people still defend the trade as being a desperately needed acquisition of leadership. That is obviously not the case.

The most reasonable opinion at the time (and it wasn't mine) was that the trade really wasn't that consequential as the players were of the same position and both around the peaks of their career with no untapped potential. I can't think of another trade where the level of discussion has so outweighed the actual impact.

The Gary Carter trade was garbage. Traded a dollar for 3 dimes and a quarter - and that isn't counting the off field impact of Carter.

I liked Ryan Walter but the Langway trade was truly terrible. We even threw in Laughlin for some bizarre reason, much like when we threw in Keane with Roy. Lacroix likely could have got 5 years of free oil changes and some Omaha steaks if he had asked for it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's crazy that a player like Jamie Benn seems to already be on a steep decline. he's only 30.

It shows how quickly the game is changing. It's going to be tough for a lot of players in their 30's.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Despite the advantage of hindsight, people still defend the trade as being a desperately needed acquisition of leadership. That is obviously not the case.

The most reasonable opinion at the time (and it wasn't mine) was that the trade really wasn't that consequential as the players were of the same position and both around the peaks of their career with no untapped potential. I can't think of another trade where the level of discussion has so outweighed the actual impact.

The Gary Carter trade was garbage. Traded a dollar for 3 dimes and a quarter - and that isn't counting the off field impact of Carter.

I liked Ryan Walter but the Langway trade was truly terrible. We even threw in Laughlin for some bizarre reason, much like when we threw in Keane with Roy. Lacroix likely could have got 5 years of free oil changes and some Omaha steaks if he had asked for it.
I think we all have some egg on our faces for the things that were said at the time of the trade, you can either double down on them or simply admit that you weren't right at the time.

I felt that 76 was overrated by our fan base, but it turns out we traded him for a defender that was also overrated around the whole league.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I think we all have some egg on our faces for the things that were said at the time of the trade, you can either double down on them or simply admit that you weren't right at the time.

I felt that 76 was overrated by our fan base, but it turns out we traded him for a defender that was also overrated around the whole league.

Like I say, we are all pretty much guilty of overanalyzing the whole thing to an unprecedented level, well beyond actual hockey terms.

I really don't think it changed the trajectory of either franchise in a meaningful way.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
That’s not what posters told me here......

added :

Panarin
Kakko
Trouba

Clearly not a team that’s all in

btw

successful hunt......3 moose

got pics if you interested :)

55”
36”
spike horn

now with over 200lbs of meat in the freezer plus all the Pike and Pickerel
Congrats on the moose, I don't know if it is permitted to post the pics in the hunting and fishing thread, I would definitely pm a mod before doing so though.

Jul 6, 2016

You forgot Engblom in the trade with Washington... That's even more painful. But Walter and Green helped the Habs win that 1986 Cup.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Congrats on the moose, I don't know if it is permitted to post the pics in the hunting and fishing thread, I would definitely pm a mod before doing so though.
Send me your email and I’ll send you the pics......are you out east or Ontario/Quebec?

Reactions: Runner77

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Since its a PK vs Weber day in the out of town thread. He played over 26 mins against the Rangers and got a goal.

I am more focused on the 26 minutes rather then the goal. It means they are playing him as the #1D in NJ right now.

Petry is our defacto #1 D based on ice time and eye test(performance) so far. If weber is injured again.... well I think the proof is in the pudding on this trade.

But no, please tell me more about all those intangibles and the Weber stare down that was suppose to magically clear players in front of Price.

bah I don't even know why I Posted that.... I mean people are set in their ways. No ones opinion on this board is going to change at this point.

Beating dead horse :joker::deadhorse

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal

Why not?

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
What difference has that leadership made?

Give me detailed examples, with your opinion as to what achievements the franchise would have foregone but for the presence of Weber'sleadership.

Any hockey team that is not built on the Playstation needs strong leadership, or you end up with teams like Oilers who stagnate for while because they have a bunch of young skilled players, but no guidance.

Leadership isn't a magic card that will make everyone +10 on skills and the trade wasn't made in a vaccum... So really you're fishing for a fight that doesn't make any sense.

There's no denying that leadership is a pillar on which a team is based and that Montreal needed some change in that department, with young leaders as Pacioretty and Subban that were ME first and not TEAM first players.

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
Any hockey team that is not built on the Playstation needs strong leadership, or you end up with teams like Oilers who stagnate for while because they have a bunch of young skilled players, but no guidance.

Leadership isn't a magic card that will make everyone +10 on skills and the trade wasn't made in a vaccum... So really you're fishing for a fight that doesn't make any sense.

There's no denying that leadership is a pillar on which a team is based and that Montreal needed some change in that department, with young leaders as Pacioretty and Subban that were ME first and not TEAM first players.
We haven’t made the playoffs in 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad