Injury Report: Out of Town Thread Part XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Any hockey team that is not built on the Playstation needs strong leadership, or you end up with teams like Oilers who stagnate for while because they have a bunch of young skilled players, but no guidance.

Leadership isn't a magic card that will make everyone +10 on skills and the trade wasn't made in a vaccum... So really you're fishing for a fight that doesn't make any sense.

There's no denying that leadership is a pillar on which a team is based and that Montreal needed some change in that department, with young leaders as Pacioretty and Subban that were ME first and not TEAM first players.

I didn't mention Playstation. Why are you talking about video games instead of backing up your assertion with actual facts. That isn't a good sign.

Guidance is the issue with the Oilers? How do you know and what is the evidence? Seems like defence and depth are the issues to me. Explain with concrete examples why you are right and I am wrong.

How do you know this about Pacioretty and Subban? Sources and examples beyond rumours please.

Funny how you avoiding simple questions means I am fishing for a fight. Nice try but you are completely wrong. You seem to be avoiding an actual discussion though.

I will repeat the questions because I think you lost track of what I wrote.

What are some examples of ways that Weber's leadership has had a positive impact?

Secondly, absent this leadership, what accomplishments that the team has achieved since his acquisition would not have happened? Use as much detail and fact as possible.

Why did Nashville have their best playoff ever after jettisoning Weber? Was that Playstation? Shouldn't the team have cratered?

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Agree......they just didn’t start their season 4-0 and steam rolled through the opposition like some thought they would.

we lost vs Tampa and it’s the end of the world, blow everything up, but the Rangers lose half their games early in the season and we praising patience, it’s funny how that works sometimes lol
Your babbling. Who said rangers would steam roll through the opposition? We said th
Agree......they just didn’t start their season 4-0 and steam rolled through the opposition like some thought they would.

we lost vs Tampa and it’s the end of the world, blow everything up, but the Rangers lose half their games early in the season and we praising patience, it’s funny how that works sometimes lol
Lol.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
6 games in. Are you serious.
You should be preaching the same to our impatient fans when we lose, which I’m convinced you’re not :)

and no, I’m not serious, but I am pleased to see these teams who everyone thinks they have it figured out stumble out of the gate.....:)

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
@jaffy27 who actually said Rangers would not only start 4-0 but steamroll the opposition?

I notice you said some, meaning multiple posters. I don't believe you have such precise recall of their predictions and go blank on their identities, so who were they? It sounds preposterous to me and I would like to block them if they are that goofy.

Reactions: Runner77 and Mrb1p

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
You should be preaching the same to our impatient fans when we lose, which I’m convinced you’re not :)

and no, I’m not serious, but I am pleased to see these teams who everyone thinks they have it figured out stumble out of the gate.....:)

Aren't fans basing it not just on 6 games but two straight years of missing the playoffs and the third straight year of total failure in UFA? 8 years of a GM who you have now admitted is a failure? It isn't just based on 6 games, there is a foundtion of stone.

I don't think any fans still standing can be reasonably characterized as impatient.

Reactions: Runner77

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Kakko looks brutal without the puck.

Somehow, the Rangers organisation realise he's 18 1/2 and will learn from his mistakes. He somehow gets ice time too. What a weird franchise. I thought you had to "earn" it, play like a 10 year vet and get benched every time you made a mistake.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not one actual example of the impact of this mythical leadership.

No idea how anyone can say the Subban trade wasn't a clear loss, regardless of the fact that he got traded afterwards. He was a key cog to a finalist and was nominated for another Norris. Weber has been injured a bunch.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Kakko looks brutal without the puck.

Somehow, the Rangers organisation realise he's 18 1/2 and will learn from his mistakes. He somehow gets ice time too. What a weird franchise. I thought you had to "earn" it, play like a 10 year vet and get benched every time you made a mistake.
Rangers have had about as much success drafting and developing first round picks as we have this past decade or so

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
No idea how anyone can say the Subban trade wasn't a clear loss, regardless of the fact that he got traded afterwards. He was a key cog to a finalist and was nominated for another Norris. Weber has been injured a bunch.

They became legit contenders and traded him for a bunch of futures while freeing up space for Duchene. Meanwhile, we've been scraping the bottom of the league. Don't see how we didn't lose that trade significantly.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Clear loss would imply our team would have done a lot better by keeping Subban

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Rangers have had about as much success drafting and developing first round picks as we have this past decade or so

Come on man, they didn't even have first round picks for four straight years until 2017, hows that a valid comparison ? Actually, taking the last decade (2009+), only McIlrath busted, they did very, very well with Kreider, Miller and Skjei. Too soon to talk about 2017 and on, but its looking real, real good for them.

Reactions: Runner77

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's possible? We haven't done squat with Weber. He's also been out for big chunks.
Its possible. Its also possible that we remained a joke of a team had we kept Subban. When you weigh their performances against eachother the past 3 seasons, they match up fairly equal. Subban being Subban of course had the higher highs, but also the lower lows.

Reactions: the

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Come on man, they didn't even have first round picks for four straight years until 2017, hows that a valid comparison ? Actually, taking the last decade (2009+), only McIlrath busted, they did very, very well with Kreider, Miller and Skjei. Too soon to talk about 2017 and on, but its looking real, real good for them.
Point is, NYR doesn't really have a great track record of producing home grown talent. They've basically signed/acquired big name players from other teams since as far back as I can remember.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Its possible. Its also possible that we remained a joke of a team had we kept Subban. When you weigh their performances against eachother the past 3 seasons, they match up fairly equal. Subban being Subban of course had the higher highs, but also the lower lows.

I don't think an injured Weber matches up particularly well with a guy that was talked about as a potential Conn Smythe winner during a run to the finals and who was a second-team all-star a year ago. Look, I don't have anything against Weber and I'm hoping he's not washed. But he's had some rough stretches too while missing more significant time. Look, I wish it were other ways. But calling this trade a wash is fooling ourselves. Not to say that Weber has also a significantly longer contract at a high cap hit, albeit lower than Subban.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
The way I see it, Montreal have been so talent starved that Weber’s “steadier” Hand doomed the Habs to mediocrity. I’d rather have Subban for the risk/reward factor. Weber certainly didn’t lose us anything, but has he ever pulled a Boston 2014?

Perception is why the trade was made and I always think of Jonathan Toews saying he was glad Weber was traded out of the central because of the fear factor... only to be shut down by subban in 2017, which funnily enough, Weber could never do to him.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't think an injured Weber matches up particularly well with a guy that was talked about as a potential Conn Smythe winner during a run to the finals and who was a second-team all-star a year ago. Look, I don't have anything against Weber and I'm hoping he's not washed. But he's had some rough stretches too while missing more significant time. Look, I wish it were other ways. But calling this trade a wash is fooling ourselves. Not to say that Weber has also a significantly longer contract at a high cap hit, albeit lower than Subban.
It's about as close to a wash as you could get. Weber got the nod last season, Subban the year before, and the year after the trade Weber had the better r.s. while Subban and the preds had the better playoffs.

We certainly didn't acquire a game changing defenseman, but we didn't necessarily lose one either.

Moot point really, Habs would have sucked with Weber or had they kept Subban. Trade was a wash

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's about as close to a wash as you could get. Weber got the nod last season, Subban the year before, and the year after the trade Weber had the better r.s. while Subban and the preds had the better playoffs.

We certainly didn't acquire a game changing defenseman, but we didn't necessarily lose one either.

Moot point really, Habs would have sucked with Weber or had they kept Subban. Trade was a wash

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. We also gave up the far better playoff performer, by the way. Subban's peak was just infinitely more interesting than Weber following the trade. I value that a lot more than steady play for time he wasn't injured. I mean he missed over half his games in the past two seasons. That's just terrible.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Point is, NYR doesn't really have a great track record of producing home grown talent. They've basically signed/acquired big name players from other teams since as far back as I can remember.

Since the lockout they've had a steady stream of young players coming up on the team. Truth is despite trading away most of their 1st rounders and picking lower, they've done better than us over the past decade. Kreider already had a big role on the team by his second year (his first full season). Stepan by his first... Theyve neither been afraid to play their kids nor let them develop at lower levels. I wish we were more like them personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad