Friedman: Ottawa's 7th overall pick is available for trade

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How about Jeff Petry?
Has absolutely zero value to the Sens, negative value actually as they don't want to be paying 8 million in signing bonuses and 20 million overall for an older player that isn't a fit with the core of the team for their window.

They will trade the pick as a part of a package for a 20-27 year old player who will be signed to term. They aren't going to be trading the pick for a package.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
How about

:wild trade Fiala(extended) + Dumba

for

:sens trade 7th overall + Brown + Zaitsev + Sokolov/Jarventie + 2nd
I’ll try to break it down, a full year of Brown is probably worth a first and a bit. So let’s say Brown and Zaitsev are a wash.

7th + Sokolov + 2nd is that enough for Dumba and Fiala?

I think they would get more by selling separately but I’m in.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I would trade the 7th Overall, Brown and Ridly Grieg for Fiala then sign Giroux and Klingberg and Buyout Matt Murray.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Fiala-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph

Chabot-Klingberg
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Forsberg
Sogaard

That is a playoff team.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I would trade the 7th Overall, Brown and Ridly Grieg for Fiala then sign Giroux and Klingberg and Buyout Matt Murray.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Fiala-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph

Chabot-Klingberg
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Forsberg
Sogaard

That is a playoff team.
So just to let you know, that return for Fiala is at worse equal to the return for Eichel. Waaaay too much.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Fiala-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph

Chabot-Klingberg
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Forsberg
Sogaard

That is a playoff team.
Waay too much for Fiala, and waay too much money coming in for a budget team.

Reactions: Masked and mouser

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Dallas: 7 OA

Ottawa: 18 OA, Denis Guryanov, Anton Khudobin,

Sens need a winger that can score. Guryanov has proven he can do it and is a terrific skater. I don't want to trade him because I think he can find success under a new coach but upgrading in a weak draft and getting Khudobin off the books next year would make it worthwhile.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not going to belabor the earlier offers made, but a top six winger and a top four RHD? We can oblige from Vancouver. We need futures and cap space. Garland or Boeser and Myers (retention definitely on the table for Myers) for the 7th overall and what ever bits need to be worked out for cap and roster space.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I’ll try to break it down, a full year of Brown is probably worth a first and a bit. So let’s say Brown and Zaitsev are a wash.

7th + Sokolov + 2nd is that enough for Dumba and Fiala?

I think they would get more by selling separately but I’m in.

Dumba is also not available apparently :(

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Dallas: 7 OA

Ottawa: 18 OA, Denis Guryanov, Anton Khudobin,

Sens need a winger that can score. Guryanov has proven he can do it and is a terrific skater. I don't want to trade him because I think he can find success under a new coach but upgrading in a weak draft and getting Khudobin off the books next year would make it worthwhile.

Khudobin's probably got negative value at this point. Ottawa already has Forsberg/Murray signed and Gustavsson on a cheap one way deal. Ottawa doesn't spend like other teams and Khudobin is due 3.75 million in actual dollars. There's a reason he cleared waivers.

Gurianov has scored 20 goals once. Doesn't seem like the type of guy they'll be targeting.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Again, the Sens will not be trading the pick for a package. They will be packaging the pick to get an upgrade at a top 6/top 4 position.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Something around #7 for Scheifele?

This is my thoughts as well. If Scheif has to go then the 7th overall pick is a nice baseline. Scheif is an easy drop in, on that top 6 and brings scoring, physicality and speed. His defence has been lacklustre these past few seasons but he turns it on in the playoffs. Maybe being moved will be the wakeup call he needs in order to play like he is capable of. It's not like he came in as a defensive liability, this is something he has recently developed. Change of scenery might do him good.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't know that I agree. The top end doesn't appear to have the star potential of most other drafts, but I think that there is a fair amount of depth in the first two rounds. I agree with the OP that the gap between the #7 and #18 is far smaller than in other years.
Is it because 7th-10th is not so good or because 10th-18th is very good? I tend to think it's the latter.
Looks like a pretty deep draft, specially on defense imo

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
An extended Fiala is the kind of player Ottawa should be targeting. Certainly not packages and not old players.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
According to Friedman, Ottawa's 7th oa pick is available, he didnt mention what Ottawa is looking for whether its a foundational player that will surround the core and help them compete now or if Ottawa wants to trade down and get more assets.

7th OA is not really a high value spot imo to trade up for so a trade will more than likely be 7th OA for a ready made, producing player.

I have a tier/grouping of players 5th to 18th range and im sure many teams draft boards will also indicate that its not really worth trading up to the 7th spot if you have a pick in the top the 20.

What would be an offer your team would make for the 7th OA?

You don’t have to listen to Friedman speculate, Dorian has said its available a few times,

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
An extended Fiala is the kind of player Ottawa should be targeting. Certainly not packages and not old players.
What would it cost? Will cost more then the 7th alone if he's extended. 25yo coming off 85pts, he'd become Ottawa's best forward instantly.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What would it cost? Will cost more then the 7th alone if he's extended. 25yo coming off 85pts, he'd become Ottawa's best forward instantly.

Hopefully more than I'm expecting Guerin to get. Some sort of baseline off of what an offersheet would be.

1st + 2nd + prospect

The placement of the 1st adjusts the 2nd + prospect up or down. In Ottawa's case, with it being 7th overall, I could probably be relatively content with:

Ottawa 1st + TB 2nd + decent prospect (likely not Greig or Pinto, but someone in the next tier down).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazeek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad