Friedman: Ottawa's 7th overall pick is available for trade

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
their loss again, I dont think they will get better player at 7 in this draft.
They passed on him last year in the second round, so no I don’t see them giving 7OA ,
The 7th if used will be a package for top 4 D, or top 6 forward., not a prospect.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They passed on him last year in the second round, so no I don’t see them giving 7OA ,
The 7th if used will be a package for top 4 D, or top 6 forward., not a prospect.
Well I mean, they passed on lots of players I’m sure they’d trade a ton for.

Peterka is probably worth ~ a top 10 pick right now.

Sens don’t do it, because if they trade their pick they are looking for an impact player at the NHL level, but prospect wise, Peterka would be in line to be valued like a guy slated in the top 5-10 in this draft.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Sens don’t do it, because if they trade their pick they are looking for an impact player at the NHL level, but prospect wise, Peterka would be in line to be valued like a guy slated in the top 5-10 in this draft.

lol no he isnt

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Call me crazy, but I think the Sens would rather have a PPG NHL player in exchange for the #7oa, not a PPG AHL'er.

Reactions: NB613

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Call me crazy, but I think the Sens would rather have a PPG NHL player in exchange for the #7oa, not a PPG AHL'er.
Well, yeah. That’s been said by everyone, Sens are trading the pick in a package for an NHL impact player.

But value wise, Peterka has the value of ~10th overall pick if he were being shopped.

If a team, like Minnesota for example, were trading Fiala, they would likely value Peterka and the 7th very similarly.

If you pick a guy at 7 and then 2 years later he is trending like Peterka, you’re extremely happy.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes, he is. How many 19 year old AHLers usually put up a ppg?

I’d wager that none of the guys slated to go from 5-15 in this draft would.
It would have to be a non North American as well, as no 19 years old in AHL.
Plus looking for proven NHLer .

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd consider trading the 7th for Peterka if that were an option.

He clearly projects as a top 6 forward at this point. PPG in the AHL at 19 is very very impressive.

Could be a decent NHLer as soon as next season and a great long-term linemate for his countryman Stutzle. Had great chemistry at the WJC.

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
I would trade the 7th Overall, Brown and Ridly Grieg for Fiala then sign Giroux and Klingberg and Buyout Matt Murray.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Fiala-Stutzle-Giroux
Formenton-Pinto-Joseph

Chabot-Klingberg
Sanderson-Zub
Brannstrom-Hamonic

Forsberg
Sogaard

That is a playoff team.
If the Sens buyout Matt Murray, the Stars should sign and send him to the AHL. They would have a goalie tandem of Matt Murray and Matt Murray!
Screenshot (135).png

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Wright seems like a Hischier level prospect, maybe a bit better, going into the draft. Obviously, with hindsight, we can point to players like Makar and Rantanen, but hindsight is 20/20.

My fear from a MN POV is that Guerin trades Fiala for Boucher, Brown, and a conditional 2023 2nd.
LOL Sens have Dorion as our GM. No need to be so scared, dude.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I'd consider trading the 7th for Peterka if that were an option.

He clearly projects as a top 6 forward at this point. PPG in the AHL at 19 is very very impressive.

Could be a decent NHLer as soon as next season and a great long-term linemate for his countryman Stutzle. Had great chemistry at the WJC.

I'd love Peterka, but not for 7OA, we could arguably get a better prospect at 7. We need a proven asset for 7 not a mystery box if we trade the pick.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Wright seems like a Hischier level prospect, maybe a bit better, going into the draft. Obviously, with hindsight, we can point to players like Makar and Rantanen, but hindsight is 20/20.

My fear from a MN POV is that Guerin trades Fiala for Boucher, Brown, and a conditional 2023 2nd.
Yeah that'd be terrible for you guys

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Yes, he is. How many 19 year old AHLers usually put up a ppg?

I’d wager that none of the guys slated to go from 5-15 in this draft would.
My favorite team has one too guy.

Most 19 yearolds are either in college or the CHL so dumb point to try and use as a gotcha in an obscene argument

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Boeser 1-1 for 7th?
Perfect winger for the sens, still young

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This is an extremely weak draft.
All teams try to trade away their 1st rounders.
The market return won't be that great
The fact is all drafts end up looking pretty much the same in terms of depth. They all have 28-31 players that will carve out significant careers (300+ games). Sure, the top 3 in this draft isn’t the greatest. I’d argue it’s as good as last years, but I think the 4-15 range will have some good players come out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
My favorite team has one too guy.

Most 19 yearolds are either in college or the CHL so dumb point to try and use as a gotcha in an obscene argument
It's not a gotcha, nor an obscene argument. You hope that your 1st/2nd round picks look as good as Peterka has at 19 when they are in the AHL at 20-22

It's a "this 19 year old, who's peers are playing with him in the AHL at the moment, as well as in the CHL and NCAA, is leading his AHL team in scoring (Quinn notwithstanding) and looking extremely good in doing so."

He was seen as a top 20ish prospect (23rd by Bob) in the very strong 2020 draft, and has done nothing since but get better and better. It only makes sense that his value has skyrocketed.

He's got the most points ever scored in the AHL all time for a 19 year old (Patrick Elias, Rantanen, Vborny, Bergeron, Voloshenko the 5 guys behind him)

You're right, most guys are in the CHL/Europe/NCAA at that age, but there are guys every single year who play in the AHL at 19.

This year alone from the 2020 draft there was:

Lukas Reichel 17th - 56gp 21g 36a 57p --- 5gp 2g 0a 2p in playoffs
JJ Peterka 34th - 70gp 28g 40a 68p --- 10gp 7g 5a 12p in playoffs
Jacob Perrault 27th - 55gp 14g 23a 37p --- 2gp 1g 0a 1p in playoffs
Alexander Holtz 7th - 52gp 26g 25a 51p --- 5gp 2g 1a 3p in playoffs
Roby Jarventie 33nd - 70gp 11g 22a 33p --- 2gp 1g 0a 1p in playoffs
Jean Luc Foudy 75th - 65gp 9g 17a 26p --- 7gp 3g 3a 6p in playoffs

Among other guys getting cups of coffee (Foerester, Ponomaryov, etc) or putting in the time until they were called to stick in the NHL (Perfetti, Byfield, etc.)

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
If you think the small forward putting up 5 goals and 11 assists in 21 games as a 19 year old is the same as what Peterka is doing now (80gp 35g 45a 80p), not too sure what to tell you
You keep saying 19 but Peterka is 20 and only 4 months younger than Robertson lol. You need to compare this season. He has 16 goals and 12 assists in 28 games (28gp 16g 12a 28p).

I know Peterka is a better prospect, but I'm using your flawed logic of ppg. Jack Quinn is the real special talent that buffalo has coming up

Reactions: 57special

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Peterka is not remotely close to being worth a top 10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00