Friedman: Ottawa's 7th overall pick is available for trade

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
The only issue I see with this proposed situation is that we don’t lose any additional players. At the end of the day, we keep all of our defensemen and have the choice of either adding Heinola or Jiricek/Nemec. I think our defensive core looks a lot better with those guys than Heinola.

Also RHD is the rarer commodity, I don’t foresee us ever having a surplus in that so it’s always a benefit to have.

Like I said that’s exceptional value, but long term I think our 3LD will be a Holden type as opposed to a Heinola type. Way too good of a player that will command too much money to be playing on the third pair for extended commitment.

Appreciate the response and we are aligned in that we both prefer Jiricek/Nemec to Heinola + 14OA. I was hoping that adding a legit forward prospect in addition to Heinola may make it worth your while because I thought you were already pretty set on the right side. No deal to be made for the pick but in the event you guys drafted one of the RHD I'd be sniffing around JBD and Thomson to see if I can shake one of them loose.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Appreciate the response and we are aligned in that we both prefer Jiricek/Nemec to Heinola + 14OA. I was hoping that adding a legit forward prospect in addition to Heinola may make it worth your while because I thought you were already pretty set on the right side. No deal to be made for the pick but in the event you guys drafted one of the RHD I'd be sniffing around JBD and Thomson to see if I can shake one of them loose.
7th for Heinola + 14th still on the table if one of those RHD aren’t there?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Could be something I could see Ottawa liking. Good chance Weegar re-signs with us too as he is from Ottawa. Reinhart isn't too expensive and has 2 years left.

Lets us run:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Stutzle-Reinhart

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Weegar
Holden-Hamonic
Zaitsev

Which leads me to wonder why FLA would ever do it? Are they giving up on contention already? Reinhart seems like a guy you'd keep around.

0 chance anyone gives a top 10 pick for Muzzin and a late first. I think you may be in tough to even find a taker on Nylander for a top 10 pick after the playoffs he had.
I love this take. On one hand you are agreeing to a weegar + Reinhardt trade and on the other you say Nylander is hard pressed to get a top 10 pick. Weegar and Reinhardt were crap for Florida and I wouldnt trade Nylander alone for both.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
0 chance anyone gives a top 10 pick for Muzzin and a late first. I think you may be in tough to even find a taker on Nylander for a top 10 pick after the playoffs he had.
He just had 7 points in 7 Playoff games and 8 points in 7 playoff games last year. Yet he is not worth a top 10 pick?????

for perspective Kevin Fiala had 3 points in 6 play off games this year and 2 points in 7 games last year. But he is worth 7th overall+ ?????

I get there are things about Nylander we all hate but he has been a point a game in the last 3 playoff series.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
He just had 7 points in 7 Playoff games and 8 points in 7 playoff games last year. Yet he is not worth a top 10 pick?????

for perspective Kevin Fiala had 3 points in 6 play off games this year and 2 points in 7 games last year. But he is worth 7th overall+ ?????

I get there are things about Nylander we all hate but he has been a point a game in the last 3 playoff series.
Unfortunately you can't cure clueless. Nylander has been excellent for the Leafs as you've shown.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I just wonder if the Sens would take a shot at a disgruntled Scheifele with that pick.

You run

Stuetzle-Scheifele-C. Brown
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-C. White-Joseph
?-Gambrell-A. Watson

With Ridly Greig and Shane Pinto competing in camp,

That's a competitive forward group. Defense could be intriguing if Chabot, Sanderson, Brannstrom break out. Just need a goalie that isn't named Matt Murray, and there's something there. Even can trade Colin White thereafter, as he keeps circulating in rumours, and bring up Pinto.

For the Jets, 3 1st round picks, potentially, would address some of their holes and impending ones. And give them an opportunity to flip a pick for a Scheifele replacement. Decent chance Savoie, Lekkermaki, Geekie or Nemec are available at #7, not sure any of those guys will fall down to the 13 spot.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I just wonder if the Sens would take a shot at a disgruntled Scheifele with that pick.

I would be very surprised if Stutzle gets moved back to the wing. He thrived as a center offensively and did good enough defensively with room for improvement. His game is best suited with the puck on his stick, he is very effective on zone exits and zone entries, it would be a waste to make him a winger imo. I'd also be surprised if Pinto isn't inked into the opening day lineup given he made the team out of camp before having his season cut short.

I don't think they should be looking at someone to play center. Stutzle, Norris and Pinto should be Ottawa's top 3 centers next season.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Could there be a connection with the Rangers?

Would someone like Lundkvist be a good start? He is one of the best NHL RD prospects in the entire league. He’s just blocked off by Fox, Trouba, and Schneider.

I would want to see the Rangers trade from a position of strength for a C like Savoie.

What else would the Rangers have to include to make a deal enticing for OTT?
Lundkvist is worth no more than a late 1st. He's an OK prospect that's not exactly done a ton to make you think he's a surefire top player, which you expect from a top 10 pick. Absurd to think that he's worth anything remotely close to a top 10 pick. He's 4 years removed from his draft and isn't particularly exceptional. He's worth about what he was drafted at - maybe slightly more because he's more of a sure thing.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Matthew Tkachuk for Jake Sanderson and 7th overall.
No thank you, if our experience with Brady has taught us anything, it would be that we would not like to negotiate with Matthew after a 40 goal 100 point season.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
No thank you, if our experience with Brady has taught us anything, it would be that we would not like to negotiate with Matthew after a 40 goal 100 point season.

I think that's a pretty fair offer on Calgarys part. We are taking the mystery box here in exchange for cap relief, which Ottawa has plenty of to unite the Tkachuks. You want help? There it is.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think that's a pretty fair offer on Calgarys part. We are taking the mystery box here in exchange for cap relief, which Ottawa has plenty of to unite the Tkachuks. You want help? There it is.
To be strong armed into spending north of 10 million (probably 11 to sign in Ottawa) dollars or having Chucky sit out unless he gets his two years that walks him to unrestricted free agency.

Yeah value is probably fair and I’ll go as far as to say even light for a 100 point player. Doesn’t work for us.

Edit: even worse, he’s one year away from UFA status

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
To be strong armed into spending north of 10 million (probably 11 to sign in Ottawa) dollars or having Chucky sit out unless he gets his two years that walks him to unrestricted free agency.

Yeah value is probably fair and I’ll go as far as to say even light for a 100 point player. Doesn’t work for us.

Edit: even worse, he’s one year away from RFA status

Odds are he signs with his brother though, who is already locked up.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Then we can wait for him to exercise his right to sign his 1 year deal that will take him to UFA and sign him without spending a first and Sanderson if the odds are high he will sign here.

We will take Brady if that's your worry.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
At that contract? Ha
You… you just said you’d take him, and I said once his contract is done?

Stop back pedalling for offering a terrible proposal for a player that we could just sign in free agency if you’re so convinced that the odds are high that he would sign here. And if he isn’t motivated to sign here we’re not spending a first and Sanderson for a 1 year rental.

Which I highly doubt, going from a hockey crazed city that finish atop their division to play with his brother.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad