Friedman: Ottawa's 7th overall pick is available for trade

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to Friedman, Ottawa's 7th oa pick is available, he didnt mention what Ottawa is looking for whether its a foundational player that will surround the core and help them compete now or if Ottawa wants to trade down and get more assets.

7th OA is not really a high value spot imo to trade up for so a trade will more than likely be 7th OA for a ready made, producing player.

I have a tier/grouping of players 5th to 18th range and im sure many teams draft boards will also indicate that its not really worth trading up to the 7th spot if you have a pick in the top the 20.

What would be an offer your team would make for the 7th OA?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fiala for #7(as the main piece) has been speculated about for quite a while.

Reactions: NB613

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Kevin Fiala makes sense I would think.

I think this connects all the dots as well.

Though im not convinced Minny just wants to trde Fiala for picks and prospects, i dont think they want to take a step completely despite the dead cap.

I can see Fiala being traded for a a player on an ELC or cheap AAV that can help Minny win now while being cost controlled.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is an extremely weak draft.
All teams try to trade away their 1st rounders.
The market return won't be that great
I don't know that I agree. The top end doesn't appear to have the star potential of most other drafts, but I think that there is a fair amount of depth in the first two rounds. I agree with the OP that the gap between the #7 and #18 is far smaller than in other years.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Can't imagine it's for anything other than a winger for Stutzle.

RD is a need a well, but I don't see a ton of options that make sense for #7+

Reactions: NB613

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think this connects all the dots as well.

Though im not convinced Minny just wants to trde Fiala for picks and prospects, i dont think they want to take a step completely despite the dead cap.

I can see Fiala being traded for a a player on an ELC or cheap AAV that can help Minny win now while being cost controlled.
That's why Holtz has been talked about. He should be ready for some NHL TOI as soon as next year, and is a RHS, which MN lacks.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Could there be a connection with the Rangers?

Would someone like Lundkvist be a good start? He is one of the best NHL RD prospects in the entire league. He’s just blocked off by Fox, Trouba, and Schneider.

I would want to see the Rangers trade from a position of strength for a C like Savoie.

What else would the Rangers have to include to make a deal enticing for OTT?

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009

Would someone like Lundkvist be a good start? He is one of the best NHL RD prospects in the entire league. He’s just blocked off by Fox, Trouba, and Schneider.

I would want to see the Rangers trade from a position of strength for a C like Savoie.

Lundkvist doesn't exactly fit the mold of established player, he's just a prospect that's further along. Also when was the last time a top 10 pick was traded for a package rather than as part of a package for an established player?

Reactions: NB613 and Altimus

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It sounds like the Canucks and Boeser are working on a short term extension, speculated around 3 years at 6.5 mil AAV.

If that was to hit a snag would Ottawa have any interest in Boeser?

Would be awesome with Stutzle

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Offer Schneider and Ottawa probably does it. Lundkvist while a good prospect is in the mold of what they have in Thompson and Bernard docker.

Reactions: NB613 and Altimus

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What did I miss that the Wild would trade their 25 year old second leading scorer at this point in time?
He has developed very well over the last 3 seasons in Minny.

Reactions: Nowotny and HabsQC

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
What did I miss that the Wild would trade their 25 year old second leading scorer at this point in time?
Fiala has had some contentious negotiations with the Guerin regime in his tenure here. It has sounded like Fiala wanted a long-term deal during both contract extensions he’s signed here, but management has never been able to get a deal done. The “best offer” for him last season was 3 x $6M which is a terrible offer for him.

The Wild have a tight cap over the next 3 seasons and they need to lose someone this offseason to make things work. When pressed on the issue during a radio call this past week, Guerin was quoted as saying something along the lines of why does Dumba have to go because Fiala had a good 3 months (paraphrasing).

Writing just seems to be on the wall. Wild should be able to get a haul for him and the cap-controlled assets (ELCs) could be extremely valuable over the next 3 seasons.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He'll need a substantial raise, the team is working under serious cap constraints due to the Parise and Suter buyouts, and the GM has made a series of move since last summer indicating that he's not planning to make the necessary space.

Not a popular move among Wild fans right now, but it looks like Guerin made his decision months ago. Now we're just waiting to see what he gets for Fiala, and Ottawa's pick is one of the more likely targets.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He'll need a substantial raise, the team is working under serious cap constraints due to the Parise and Suter buyouts, and the GM has made a series of move since last summer indicating that he's not planning to make the necessary space.

Not a popular move among Wild fans right now, but it looks like Guerin made his decision months ago. Now we're just waiting to see what he gets for Fiala, and Ottawa's pick is one of the more likely targets.
Ya went to capfriendly and didn't realize how much of a weight their buyouts will be for the next 3 years...$15M per year is ouch for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00