Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG the only one I disagree with is Moldenhauser as we have discussed. I really do not think NJ is going to let their top player and one of the top rookies in the league go.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG the only one I disagree with is Moldenhauser as we have discussed. I really do not think NJ is going to let their top player and one of the top rookies in the league go.

They have no rights to him. His rights are held by the 67s. This isn't about "letting him go." If he wants to play in Ottawa he has every right to go to the 67s.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Dressing in Hellville might solve a few problems but not sure if it really is the best thing for him. Being number 3 means he is to going to get much ice time both in games and practice.

The funny thing if they have the same rule he could also end up playing for the opposing team if their goalie gets hurt.
When the other option is sitting at home in Orleans doing nothing, I’d say third string in the AHL is a good proposition for him. You can’t play any sort of hockey in Ottawa right now, not even on an ODR.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
They have no rights to him. His rights are held by the 67s. This isn't about "letting him go." If he wants to play in Ottawa he has every right to go to the 67s.

I would think that he had to sign something with them to play. I can't see how they would play him without some sort of agreement. I guess we will find out soon if the OHL starts.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
When the other option is sitting at home in Orleans doing nothing, I’d say third string in the AHL is a good proposition for him. You can’t play any sort of hockey in Ottawa right now, not even on an ODR.

I agree and that is the question for a lot of players.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Congratulations to Sasha, Jake Middleton and Quinn for making it to the NHL I think we may need to add Marco to the list but notsure

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would think that he had to sign something with them to play. I can't see how they would play him without some sort of agreement. I guess we will find out soon if the OHL starts.

There is nothing to sign that prevents a player from playing “up.”

Reactions: dirty12

beast mode

Oct 27, 2020
I don’t think Moldenhauer is expected on Ottawa’s line up this season. That’s why he went to play 16U. 16U is probably a very bad level to evaluate his development because all the top 16-17 Yo play in USHL NTDP prep or NAHL.
I’m surprised as who advised him to go play down there.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Fun to see a 67 with my Habs! Toffoli playing great and is game has evolved so much from junior. His skating, defensive play and forechecking are much better. Didn't realize it as almost never saw him in LA.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think Moldenhauer is expected on Ottawa’s line up this season. That’s why he went to play 16U. 16U is probably a very bad level to evaluate his development because all the top 16-17 Yo play in USHL NTDP prep or NAHL.
I’m surprised as who advised him to go play down there.

A lot of guys are just trying to play somewhere. I don't think the more competitive leagues are too interested in players just getting ice. They don't want to spend resources on a player that probably won't be there in February. So, it does make sense for him to play there from that perspective.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Best guess:

Quinn-Hoelscher(OA)-Simontaival
Beck-Tolnai-Clarke
Robinson-LaForme-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Gaidamak-Moldenhauer
Varga-Crete-Stonehouse

Rippon(OA)-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-GillShane
Mayich-Sirman

Andree(OA)
Cranley
Donoso

That is what we have that is viable.

Notes:
1 - I don't think Simontaival will report.
2 - I think Varga will play up the roster somewhere in a checking role. I could see him beside Tolnai.
3 - guys like LaForme and Gaidamak may challenge for a bigger role at centre. If we can believe some of the comments regarding LaForme, it is likely he is pencilled in for the 2nd line centre position but I am not sure he'd be ready for that.
4 - We really don't know about what the program is for Cranley. Andree may be here or he may be traded. I think we agreed that if the right trade value was present, Andree would be gone.

The biggest issue now is whether the 67s plan to just play out the season status quo or whether they believe they have a chance to play a significant number of playoff games. We do know there will only be 8 playoff teams so it is unlikley any teams will make deals unless they feel they can win their conference.
As I've kind of given up on a season this year :(:confused: here's my lineup for September.
Bech/Tolnai/Clarke(OA)
Robinson/Gaidamack/Sirizzotti
Johnson/Laforme/Moldenhauer
Varga(OA)/First rounder/Stonehouse
Crete/Gerrior

Import/Matier
Belanger/Costantini
Sawyer/Gill-Shane
Sirman, Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

I suspect we might upgrade on Varga and if we overachieve we might also add an OA D. Gerrior is my darkhorse to make the team.
This is also barring any surprise american player showing up. I also think Clarke may go unsigned as Jersey is loaded with young players and he has essentially missed two years.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As I've kind of given up on a season this year :(:confused: here's my lineup for September.
Bech/Tolnai/Clarke(OA)
Robinson/Gaidamack/Sirizzotti
Johnson/Laforme/Moldenhauer
Varga(OA)/First rounder/Stonehouse
Crete/Gerrior

Import/Matier
Belanger/Costantini
Sawyer/Gill-Shane
Sirman, Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

I suspect we might upgrade on Varga and if we overachieve we ,ight also add an OA D. Gerrior is my darkhorse to make the team.
This is also barring any surprise american player showing up.

I still think they will play, just nothing meaningful. Maybe 20 game plus a reduced three rounds of playoffs. That said, here is my roster:

Beck-Tolnai-Simontaival(I)
Robinson-Gaidamak(I)-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Laforme-Moldenhauer
Crete-1st rnd-Stonehouse
2nd rnd-2nd rnd

OA Trade-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-GillShane
Sirman-Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

I also see them trading for an OA First line centre if Simontaival does report.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I still think they will play, just nothing meaningful. Maybe 20 game plus a reduced three rounds of playoffs. That said, here is my roster:

Beck-Tolnai-Simontaival(I)
Robinson-Gaidamak(I)-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Laforme-Moldenhauer
Crete-1st rnd-Stonehouse
2nd rnd-2nd rnd

OA Trade-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-GillShane
Sirman-Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

I also see them trading for an OA First line centre if Simontaival does report.
I suspect you are right and on second thought they probably keep a second rounder over Varga as he has little upside to be an impact OA. For some reason I don't see Simontaival reporting on a team in a reload year...just a feeling. He always seemed to be a swing for the fences to me. I also don't see them keeping their second second rounder (likely a d man). They'll probably follow their M.O. of recent years and let him develop in tier two.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
So I take it OMG that you expect Clarke to sign with Jersey? If so do you think they send him back for an OA year in view of his two lost seasons?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I suspect you are right and on second thought they probably keep a second rounder over Varga as he has little upside to be an impact OA. For some reason I don't see Simontaival reporting on a team in a reload year...just a feeling. He always seemed to be a swing for the fences to me. I also don't see them keeping their second second rounder (likely a d man). They'll probably follow their M.O. of recent years and let him develop in tier two.

Simontaival is the exact type of player that would benefit greatly from a season in the OHL. I have a feeling LA will try to nudge him in that direction.

The 67’s will also have three OA spots available to fill through trade. You can really add a significant amount of impact at short cost.

I don’t see next season as a reload year. It “could” be a reload year if they approach it that way but with three open OA spots and two 2nds in 2022 and so many of those players on that lineup returning the following season, I think they will try to compete. Not a championship team but still solid.

Again, that is assuming Simontaival signs.

Regarding Clarke, the possibility does exist he returns for an OA year because of a reduced/cancelled season this year, but he will sign with New Jersey and it is rare that high picks sign and play an OA year.

What we don’t know is the impact both Gaidamak and LaForme will have a centres. That is why I would really like to have an abbreviated season this year so we could see their impact.

Reactions: sirius67fan

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Graeme Clarke is a 3rd round pick. He's not playing an OA season in the OHL. Especially after he's already playing pro hockey this year. If the OHL gets wiped out this season no way NJ is sending a 3rd rounder, who just played a season of pro hockey, back to play against 17 year olds when he's 20. That would be a massive developmental step backwards. He'd surely be in the AHL or ECHL in 2021-2022

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Graeme Clarke is a 3rd round pick. He's not playing an OA season in the OHL. Especially after he's already playing pro hockey this year. If the OHL gets wiped out this season no way NJ is sending a 3rd rounder, who just played a season of pro hockey, back to play against 17 year olds when he's 20. That would be a massive developmental step backwards. He'd surely be in the AHL or ECHL in 2021-2022

Normally, I would agree. However, I also see the other point. He played only 16 games in 19-20. He has 6 games played in Slovakia, not generally regarded as even a mid-tier league. On top of that, he’s only played in one of their last four games while Brandt has played every game.

If the OHL is shut down and Clarke does stay in Slovakia, he will have an opportunity to play 19 games. I am not sure if he is banged up or if he’s been a healthy scratch but he does only have one assist in 6 games.

To me, the question is more whether NJ will sign him with his lack of overall development over two seasons. 3rd rounders aren’t a lock for contract offers. Devils had three 1st rounders this past draft. Clarke was their 4th pick in the 2019 draft. They do have a lot of young guys in the system right now.

I still don’t have him coming back as an OA BUT I do agree with Sirius that there are some significant issues with Clarke that may warrant a year in the OHL should the season be cancelled. More so if the Devils don’t sign him. The Devils currently have 5 open contracts with Clarke and Vukojevic as the only two must signs for this June. They have a couple other guys but not sure the other guys have the stats to justify a contract. It will depend on whether they want to push up closer to the 50 contract limit and what their future plans are for 2021-2022 season and the flex they need to accomplish it.

So, although I do think you are correct, Clarke will sign and play some form of pro hockey and continue to develop, there is a valid case to be made that playing 20+ minutes in the OHL could be better than the alternative because he truly hasn’t played in that role in the OHL at any time. You have to remember that as a 17 year old, he was playing 4th line through the playoffs and mostly 3rd line in the regular season. HE hasn’t been a straw that stirs the drink so to speak. I think it is important that a player does get that opportunity to advance.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Normally, I would agree. However, I also see the other point. He played only 16 games in 19-20. He has 6 games played in Slovakia, not generally regarded as even a mid-tier league. On top of that, he’s only played in one of their last four games while Brandt has played every game.

If the OHL is shut down and Clarke does stay in Slovakia, he will have an opportunity to play 19 games. I am not sure if he is banged up or if he’s been a healthy scratch but he does only have one assist in 6 games.

To me, the question is more whether NJ will sign him with his lack of overall development over two seasons. 3rd rounders aren’t a lock for contract offers. Devils had three 1st rounders this past draft. Clarke was their 4th pick in the 2019 draft. They do have a lot of young guys in the system right now.

I still don’t have him coming back as an OA BUT I do agree with Sirius that there are some significant issues with Clarke that may warrant a year in the OHL should the season be cancelled. More so if the Devils don’t sign him. The Devils currently have 5 open contracts with Clarke and Vukojevic as the only two must signs for this June. They have a couple other guys but not sure the other guys have the stats to justify a contract. It will depend on whether they want to push up closer to the 50 contract limit and what their future plans are for 2021-2022 season and the flex they need to accomplish it.

So, although I do think you are correct, Clarke will sign and play some form of pro hockey and continue to develop, there is a valid case to be made that playing 20+ minutes in the OHL could be better than the alternative because he truly hasn’t played in that role in the OHL at any time. You have to remember that as a 17 year old, he was playing 4th line through the playoffs and mostly 3rd line in the regular season. HE hasn’t been a straw that stirs the drink so to speak. I think it is important that a player does get that opportunity to advance.

They havent drafted a lot of forwards high though in the drafts surrounding his that aren't on the NHL roster and would be fighting with him for AHL/ECHL spots. None of the 2020 draft guys need to be signed yet and from 2017-2019 the only F who they took top 3 rounds that could be fighting for a contract with Clarke is Zetterlund. I don't see them letting Clarke walk

2017:
1st: Hischer NHL
2nd: Boqvist NHL
3rd: Zetterlund

2018:
No forwards in the first 4 rounds

2019:
1st: Hughes NHL
2nd: D-man
3rd: D-man
3rd: Clarke

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They havent drafted a lot of forwards high though in the drafts surrounding his that aren't on the NHL roster and would be fighting with him for AHL/ECHL spots. None of the 2020 draft guys need to be signed yet and from 2017-2019 the only F who they took top 3 rounds that could be fighting for a contract with Clarke is Zetterlund. I don't see them letting Clarke walk

2017:
1st: Hischer NHL
2nd: Boqvist NHL
3rd: Zetterlund

2018:
No forwards in the first 4 rounds

2019:
1st: Hughes NHL
2nd: D-man
3rd: Clarke

Neither do I but, again, he hasn’t played hardly at all for two years. We don’t know what his playing time will shape up like the rest of this season but I can see, in this case, Clarke being sent back to Junior to play top minutes as opposed to slugging it out in ECHL.

If you asked me to place $100 on the table and make a bet, I would say the devils sign him and he is sent to minors. That said, I would normally say this with great confidence. In this case, I don’t have anywhere near the confidence I usually have with that typical transaction. Sirius brings up a good point that needs to be acknowledged. He really hasn’t played much for two seasons. Hardly at all. As a 17 year old, he really didn’t get big minutes either. He mostly skated 3rd line unless there were injuries and played 4th line in the playoffs as a 17 year old. The last time he played at least 30 games as a go-to top line guy was as a 15 year old Bantam. That may be a tough hill to climb next year doing it in Pro hockey.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
At this point I see Quinn as gone the NHL can keep him on the practice roster get him in a few games and it does not start his contract as he is considered AHL.

Just like Andree Binghamton in Hellville and Quinn in Buffalo can put Clarke on the Binghamton taxi squad roster and develop him through practice.

As to the Euro unless they are in town now they are not going to play in the OHL and personally, I can not see them coming here if there is no guarantee of a lot of games.

I am actually surprised that Simontaival was let back to Finland after the WJC I thought they might send him to the reign or at least put him in the AHL camp. To me that says that he probably wanted to go home and play.

This is going to be a look at what we have this year and what do we need for next year season. Yes, we will make the playoffs but it will be interesting to see how a lot of the young guys play.

Cranley is going to be watched closely and while he will probably stay as OA he may be looked at for the AHL St Louis is not deep in goalies

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Neither do I but, again, he hasn’t played hardly at all for two years. We don’t know what his playing time will shape up like the rest of this season but I can see, in this case, Clarke being sent back to Junior to play top minutes as opposed to slugging it out in ECHL.

If you asked me to place $100 on the table and make a bet, I would say the devils sign him and he is sent to minors. That said, I would normally say this with great confidence. In this case, I don’t have anywhere near the confidence I usually have with that typical transaction. Sirius brings up a good point that needs to be acknowledged. He really hasn’t played much for two seasons. Hardly at all. As a 17 year old, he really didn’t get big minutes either. He mostly skated 3rd line unless there were injuries and played 4th line in the playoffs as a 17 year old. The last time he played at least 30 games as a go-to top line guy was as a 15 year old Bantam. That may be a tough hill to climb next year doing it in Pro hockey.

he’s on his way to the AHL right now apparently, which is why he didn’t play yesterday

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It's their camp. He'd need to sign if he's going to play regular season games. They would've kept him in Slovakia though if they weren't going to sign him I'd think
Makes sense but do you know if he can sign with Binghampton without it being an entry level contract or can he only be signed by the Devils for such as it's theit farm team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad