Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Given that we are going through this social distancing, I am going to try to guess next year's team as if everything worked out well for the team. If somehow Rossi and Hoelscher come back, we would have another incredible roster:

Forwards:
Sirizzotti-Rossi-Clarke
Beck-Hoelscher-Quinn
Johnston-Tolnai-Robinson
1ST ROUNDER-Crete-Varga
2ND ROUNDER

Defence:
Rippon-Belanger
IMPORT-Costantini
Matier/Sawyer/Gill-Shane

Goalie:
Andree
Cranley

Realistically, it doesn't seem likely that Andree and Cranley will both be back, as Andree is the team's established starter but Cranley and the team that drafts him will want him to get starter's minutes. That said, he has been a great team player the past two years. If they need to move one of them, the return will likely start at a 2nd round pick, likely more.

Don't undersell our import picks, even if they are late. If you track the import draft, the top picks by teams who were bad previously rarely perform well. Teams usually don't burn picks on players that they don't think will report. With Ottawa's recent track record: Rossi (1st round), Okhokyuk (2nd rond), Lintuiemi (2nd round) in the NHL draft and the development team that Ottawa has in place, agents will work to get their clients in Ottawa. I think that we can get a solid 17 year old draft prospect and possibly a 5-7th round pick in the upcoming draft who a NHL team essentially places here.
In the second round last year, Kitchener got a stud D, Axel Bergkvist at eliteprospects.com. With Rossi being a surefire NHL first rounder, Ottawa gets two picks in this year's draft.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Given that we are going through this social distancing, I am going to try to guess next year's team as if everything worked out well for the team. If somehow Rossi and Hoelscher come back, we would have another incredible roster:

Forwards:
Sirizzotti-Rossi-Clarke
Beck-Hoelscher-Quinn
Johnston-Tolnai-Robinson
1ST ROUNDER-Crete-Varga
2ND ROUNDER

Defence:
Rippon-Belanger
IMPORT-Costantini
Matier/Sawyer/Gill-Shane

Goalie:
Andree
Cranley

Realistically, it doesn't seem likely that Andree and Cranley will both be back, as Andree is the team's established starter but Cranley and the team that drafts him will want him to get starter's minutes. That said, he has been a great team player the past two years. If they need to move one of them, the return will likely start at a 2nd round pick, likely more.

Don't undersell our import picks, even if they are late. If you track the import draft, the top picks by teams who were bad previously rarely perform well. Teams usually don't burn picks on players that they don't think will report. With Ottawa's recent track record: Rossi (1st round), Okhokyuk (2nd rond), Lintuiemi (2nd round) in the NHL draft and the development team that Ottawa has in place, agents will work to get their clients in Ottawa. I think that we can get a solid 17 year old draft prospect and possibly a 5-7th round pick in the upcoming draft who a NHL team essentially places here.
In the second round last year, Kitchener got a stud D, Axel Bergkvist at eliteprospects.com. With Rossi being a surefire NHL first rounder, Ottawa gets two picks in this year's draft.

But more likely that Rossi and Hoelscher both don't come back, so I wouldn't be surprised if your GM takes a younger import pick as a 3 year guy rather than a 1 year stud like Bergkvist. And if they don't come back I wonder if Clarke/Quinn would become available on the trade block at the deadline as they'll both be in their last OHL season and OTT would be a playoff team but not a contender (if Rossi/Hoelscher are in fact gone)

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am absolutely heartbroken for these kids. Personally, I think this was a rash decision by the CHL. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but if they didn't have to make a decision right now, why not wait until the second week of April and see what the landscape looks like then? There is a good chance they would still have to cancel, no question, but at least they would be doing it knowing they had absolutely no other option. If in fact this crisis looks significantly brighter in few weeks time (and the truth us that none of know for sure) it's going to hurt even worse knowing that there was a possibility of perhaps saving a truncated playoffs and Memorial Cup.

Anyway, with that off of my chest, what is done is done. The positive is that the 67's still have strong ownership, a good facility, a great city for players, and strong leadership in Tourigny and Boyd. The goal here is to get back to where the franchise was in the best of the Killer era - always competitive, always producing good talent, and always a credit to the community. It looks like this group is back to doing that, which makes me proud as a fan.

As for on the ice, the big question mark is of course Rossi. Even if he doesn't make an NHL roster out of camp, there is always the possibility that he decides to play in Europe for the season a la Auston Matthews a few years back, Lassi Thomson this year, etc. If he has the option, it's hard to blame a kid for choosing a league where he can get paid vs. one where he basically gets enough to pay for his cell phone and pizza.

Hopefully this craziness blows over soon enough, and hope everyone is staying healthy and sane through it all...

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Analyzer

I tend to think that with his size and the fact that teams are going to be watching their money next year that Rossi and Quinn will be back.
Rossi is going to be expected to play out his OHL career in Ottawa by the NHL teams so that they can keep an eye on him and also know that the coach he has will do what they want him to do.

As to Hoelscher is going to depend a lot on what happens between now and the NHL draft. I do not see him getting offered a contract by the Devils. The same with Clarke.

I agree that Andree has to be traded preferably to a west division team.

Sirizotti is a rookie I would suggest that you want him to play on a third line to start the season. we have other players that can fill that spot and or trade for a player to fit in. Also, remember he played minor hockey with Johnson, therefore, putting him on the same line together would give you a line with players that know each other.

This is a team that can compete for the league championship and should be a true contender.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Hoelscher goes unsigned by the Devils, I doubt he gets an offer. He isn't an impact player as a Pro. He may become one but with all the uncertainty surrounding next season, I don't think teams will sign undrafted players to NHL contracts unless they are really high on them.

Regarding Rossi, his departing post today was pretty telling. He doesn't expect to return. Boyd has said he doesn't expect him to return. I think we have to forecast him not returning and operate on that assumption. If we are wrong and he is sent back, we'll benefit for sure but we cannot operate on that assumption.

I somewhat agree about the Import draft analysis. That said, we do need to temper that with the situation where Rossi could return. That means the perceived 2nd Import may not be as willing to come over not knowing for sure he makes the team. That may be somewhat of a stumbling block in that regard.

Our defense will be very green. We really needed a long playoff to get our rookie D-Men some ice to develop. That will hurt tremendously. If we don't acquire one or two veterans, the young guys will be thrust into positions they are probably not ready for. This is a concern.

I also agree having both Andree and Cranley may be an issue. We'll see how that plays out.

If Hoelscher comes back, we'll have a solid two way centre. Him and Quinn will make two-thirds of a solid first line. Beck probably completes the line.

If Robinson comes back healthy, maybe him, Clarke and Tolnai can form a decent line. We can put out a solid 17 year old third line with Johnston and Sirizzotti. We'd need that centre which is probably a youngish Import.

So, really, we need one or two veteran D-Men, a solid centre and overall continued depth. Maybe resolve a potential issue in net.

All in all, not a bad start. We'll see how things progress.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Analyzer

I tend to think that with his size and the fact that teams are going to be watching their money next year that Rossi and Quinn will be back.
Rossi is going to be expected to play out his OHL career in Ottawa by the NHL teams so that they can keep an eye on him and also know that the coach he has will do what they want him to do.

As to Hoelscher is going to depend a lot on what happens between now and the NHL draft. I do not see him getting offered a contract by the Devils. The same with Clarke.

I agree that Andree has to be traded preferably to a west division team.

Sirizotti is a rookie I would suggest that you want him to play on a third line to start the season. we have other players that can fill that spot and or trade for a player to fit in. Also, remember he played minor hockey with Johnson, therefore, putting him on the same line together would give you a line with players that know each other.

This is a team that can compete for the league championship and should be a true contender.
I highly doubt that Rossi comes back as all seems to be pointing towards his final departure. A real bonus if he does appear.

I think Quinn, Clarke and Hoelscher will all be back. I like what I saw from Beck, Sirrizotti and Johnston. I hope we see contributions from Robinson, Tolnai, Crete and Varga.

The defense is going to be thrown into the fire and this will not be fun with little experience. Even at the end of this season Matier and Constantini were being exposed on a regular basis. Long playoff run would of helped.

I believe we need at least 1 solid defenseman and an experienced centre.

As far as league championship or true contender I highly doubt it. We will have like 299 points missing from our forwards alone and I do not see those coming from within. Defense will get exposed and a backup goaltender could be cause for concern.

I hope they will be competitive and challenge for a top 4 spot in the east.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If Hoelscher goes unsigned by the Devils, I doubt he gets an offer. He isn't an impact player as a Pro. He may become one but with all the uncertainty surrounding next season, I don't think teams will sign undrafted players to NHL contracts unless they are really high on them.

Regarding Rossi, his departing post today was pretty telling. He doesn't expect to return. Boyd has said he doesn't expect him to return. I think we have to forecast him not returning and operate on that assumption. If we are wrong and he is sent back, we'll benefit for sure but we cannot operate on that assumption.

I somewhat agree about the Import draft analysis. That said, we do need to temper that with the situation where Rossi could return. That means the perceived 2nd Import may not be as willing to come over not knowing for sure he makes the team. That may be somewhat of a stumbling block in that regard.

Our defense will be very green. We really needed a long playoff to get our rookie D-Men some ice to develop. That will hurt tremendously. If we don't acquire one or two veterans, the young guys will be thrust into positions they are probably not ready for. This is a concern.

I also agree having both Andree and Cranley may be an issue. We'll see how that plays out.

If Hoelscher comes back, we'll have a solid two way centre. Him and Quinn will make two-thirds of a solid first line. Beck probably completes the line.

If Robinson comes back healthy, maybe him, Clarke and Tolnai can form a decent line. We can put out a solid 17 year old third line with Johnston and Sirizzotti. We'd need that centre which is probably a youngish Import.

So, really, we need one or two veteran D-Men, a solid centre and overall continued depth. Maybe resolve a potential issue in net.

All in all, not a bad start. We'll see how things progress.

I think Rossi is like a lot of early first-round picks in that he is confident that he can crack the NHL team. In a normal year, he might get the chance but next season in the NHL is not going to be a normal year. NHL teams are taking a huge financial hit. They are losing money and will be looking to recoup some of that loss next year.
The only player I see playing in the NHL next year is Lafreniere as he showed he can play at the elite level and that he has the size. Also, he is going to be a player that teams can build around.

Marco is small by NHL standards and is going to be a later top 10 pick. I think he will have a chance to show what he can do and may get the games early in the season and a shot at a contract BUT unless he is going to be an impact player the team will want to save the money.

As to our Euro draft to be honest we are not going to get a lot out of it. We will be drafting dead last so really unless we can hide someone from the rest of the teams were going to get a 2nd round player in the first round and a third-round player in the second round. This means that we are going to get a project player that is going to have to learn. Boyd may be willing to roll the dice and bring Nikita in as an OA and just draft 1 Euro this year.

You can not discuss the numbers that we lose as far as offense. This years team proved that is crap. We could except for Keating Bahl and Hoef be getting almost the same lineup; we started this season with.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Rossi is like a lot of early first-round picks in that he is confident that he can crack the NHL team. In a normal year, he might get the chance but next season in the NHL is not going to be a normal year. NHL teams are taking a huge financial hit. They are losing money and will be looking to recoup some of that loss next year.
The only player I see playing in the NHL next year is Lafreniere as he showed he can play at the elite level and that he has the size. Also, he is going to be a player that teams can build around.

Marco is small by NHL standards and is going to be a later top 10 pick. I think he will have a chance to show what he can do and may get the games early in the season and a shot at a contract BUT unless he is going to be an impact player the team will want to save the money.

As to our Euro draft to be honest we are not going to get a lot out of it. We will be drafting dead last so really unless we can hide someone from the rest of the teams were going to get a 2nd round player in the first round and a third-round player in the second round. This means that we are going to get a project player that is going to have to learn. Boyd may be willing to roll the dice and bring Nikita in as an OA and just draft 1 Euro this year.

You can not discuss the numbers that we lose as far as offense. This years team proved that is crap. We could except for Keating Bahl and Hoef be getting almost the same lineup; we started this season with.

Rossi came to North America for development and exposure. He got both. There is nothing else for him here. He will play professionally somewhere else if he doesn't crack his NHL roster.

Hoelscher, on the other hand, took a big leap forward but he still has work to do at this level.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Their is a lot of speculation going on concerning Rossi and we do not know any of the details. Rossi sounds like he thinks he is moving on and until we hear otherwise we cannot pencil him in for next season. Like OMG stated I believe he will play professionally somewhere next season.

Well I beg to differ on not discussing the offensive numbers we will lose this year. Even is Rossi does return we still lose 292 points from Keats, Garreffa, Hoef and Bahl.

Tell me which 2 forwards we currently have on this team excluding our existing scorers Rossi, Hoelscher, Clarke and Quinn will produce 90 and 89 points respectively? Beck and Crete could possibly be 40 to 45 point contributors, Robinson may turn out decent but he has major injury concerns. We can't expect Sirrizotti to be an immediate impact player but I like his potentional. Minus Rossi and we are really offensively challenged.

From the defense Hoef had 82 points and Bahl had 31points. We do not have 1 defenseman who has the power play quarterback potential like Hoef. Look at what we have right now and not what people are hoping for.

As for Okhotyuk, Boyd may not have the option to bring him back as NJ may want him to develop in the AHL. As well Boyd might not want to use an OA and import spot on 1 player.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Their is a lot of speculation going on concerning Rossi and we do not know any of the details. Rossi sounds like he thinks he is moving on and until we hear otherwise we cannot pencil him in for next season.

Well I beg to differ on not discussing the offensive numbers we will lose this year. Even is Rossi does return we still lose 292 points from Keats, Garreffa, Hoef and Bahl.

Tell me which 2 forwards we currently have on this team excluding our existing scorers Rossi, Hoelscher, Clarke and Quinn will produce 90 and 89 points respectively? Beck and Crete could possibly be 40 to 45 point contributors, Robinson may turn out decent but he has major injury concerns. We can't expect Sirrizotti to be an immediate impact player but I like his potentional.

From the defense Hoef had 82 points and Bahl had 31points. We do not have 1 defenseman who has the power play quarterback potential like Hoef. Look at what we have right now and not what people are hoping for.

As for Okhotyuk, Boyd may not have the option to bring him back as NJ may want him to develop in the AHL. As well Boyd might not want to use an OA and import spot on 1 player.

I wouldn't worry about scoring from the perspective of matching this past season. We scored 4.77 goals per game. I think if we were to score at a 4.00 goals per game, that would be very good. That gives us a buffer of 50 goals that we really don't "need" to replace.

We do need a top 2 line centre. That is for sure. I think we can hobble together a decent set of wingers. I think Tolnai at the 3rd centre is probably a safe fit for him responsibility wise. Hoelscher can play the #1 or #2 guy with Quinn and Beck. The other guy can run with Clarke and whomever else fills the vacant spot on the left side.

It is possible the centre could be an Import but not if they continue drafting 17 year olds. I think with the overall makeup of this team, drafting a 17 year old Import is probably not ideal...at least not from the 55th spot in the draft. Taking a flyer on a highly rated 18 or 19 year old is probably more advisable.

Defensively, they are ok. Not great but ok. Belanger and maybe Sawyer can generate a little offence. They should be ok with puck transition overall. Rippon can anchor the defensive side. I think acquiring another guy like Rippon would be ideal. I'd feel a lot safer for sure.

We are fine in net. As of now, you have to assume Andree and Cranley will both return. If they decide they honestly feel like they can piece together a contender, you have to find a way to keep both guys. That may be tough though. I think they could benefit by freeing up the OA spot Andree holds, similar to what they did with Wilson this season when they brought in Garreffa.

Overall, it is a good nucleus. It's not getting me all excited but it will be a good team after the addition of draft picks and an Import player or two.

If Hoelscher doesn't return and we are unable to acquire/sign a decent Import, we should be in sell mode though. We cannot acquire two centres to augment this team. It would be better to get a cheaper centre option and let the kids grow and make a run the following seasons.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I wouldn't worry about scoring from the perspective of matching this past season. We scored 4.77 goals per game. I think if we were to score at a 4.00 goals per game, that would be very good. That gives us a buffer of 50 goals that we really don't "need" to replace.

We do need a top 2 line centre. That is for sure. I think we can hobble together a decent set of wingers. I think Tolnai at the 3rd centre is probably a safe fit for him responsibility wise. Hoelscher can play the #1 or #2 guy with Quinn and Beck. The other guy can run with Clarke and whomever else fills the vacant spot on the left side.

It is possible the centre could be an Import but not if they continue drafting 17 year olds. I think with the overall makeup of this team, drafting a 17 year old Import is probably not ideal...at least not from the 55th spot in the draft. Taking a flyer on a highly rated 18 or 19 year old is probably more advisable.

Defensively, they are ok. Not great but ok. Belanger and maybe Sawyer can generate a little offence. They should be ok with puck transition overall. Rippon can anchor the defensive side. I think acquiring another guy like Rippon would be ideal. I'd feel a lot safer for sure.

We are fine in net. As of now, you have to assume Andree and Cranley will both return. If they decide they honestly feel like they can piece together a contender, you have to find a way to keep both guys. That may be tough though. I think they could benefit by freeing up the OA spot Andree holds, similar to what they did with Wilson this season when they brought in Garreffa.

Overall, it is a good nucleus. It's not getting me all excited but it will be a good team after the addition of draft picks and an Import player or two.

If Hoelscher doesn't return and we are unable to acquire/sign a decent Import, we should be in sell mode though. We cannot acquire two centres to augment this team. It would be better to get a cheaper centre option and let the kids grow and make a run the following seasons.
I agree we should not have to score 4.77 goals per game but on the other hand with the current defense we may have to.

If Hoelscher does not return I think we should be in sell mode. Let's not try and kid ourselves the mountain is getting much steeper.

I agree we have a good nucleus and should be a good team with the few additions you mentioned. (Hoelscher needs to be included) I think Andree's OA spot might be in jeopardy provided we have the opportunity to pick up an experienced D or centre.

Well hopefully things will return to normal once this COVID-19 crisis has been conquered or at least manageable for all. I look forward to next season but it is hard to concentrate with the current situation in the world. I guess we can just wait and see what transpires during the offseason.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
My revised roster prediction with Rossi playing pro next year:

Forwards:
Beck-Hoelscher-Quinn
Sirizzotti-1st round import-Clarke
Johnston-Tolnai-Robinson
1ST ROUNDER-Crete-Varga
2ND ROUNDER

Defence:
Rippon-Belanger
2nd round import-Costantini
Matier/Sawyer/Gill-Shane

Goalie:
Andree
Cranley

Keep in mind that there's an open OA spot in this scenario that could be used to beef up the blueline or top six. IMO the team should keep that spot open like they did two years ago to determine whether they are contenders or not. If they are, add on the cheap (like Chiodo) and if they are not, they can either hold onto Rippon and Andree to try to win a round or two or flip them for a good return.

That being said, I can't see a situation where Andree and Cranley are both back next year- they will both be top 10 Goalies in the league next year in my opinion.

Reactions: sirius67fan

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I agree we should not have to score 4.77 goals per game but on the other hand with the current defense we may have to.

If Hoelscher does not return I think we should be in sell mode. Let's not try and kid ourselves the mountain is getting much steeper.

I agree we have a good nucleus and should be a good team with the few additions you mentioned. (Hoelscher needs to be included) I think Andree's OA spot might be in jeopardy provided we have the opportunity to pick up an experienced D or centre.

Well hopefully things will return to normal once this COVID-19 crisis has been conquered or at least manageable for all. I look forward to next season but it is hard to concentrate with the current situation in the world. I guess we can just wait and see what transpires during the offseason.

Keep in mind that essentially the only three OA's eligible to return are Hoelscher, Andree and Groulx. Andree will be fine to keep regardless if they decide to split the Goalie responsibilities.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For us to create a “contending” type team:

TRADE 19 y/o- IMPORT - Clarke
Beck-Hoelscher (OA)-Quinn
Robinson-Tolnai-Varga
Johnston-1st round pick-Sirizzotti
Crete

Rippon (OA)-Belanger
Matier-IMPORT
Costantini-Sawyer
Gill

Andree (OA)
Cranley

If we are truly talking “contender” we have to seriously consider making both Andree and Cranley work.

If we are looking at being highly competitive and let the dice fall where they fall, you look at trading Andree and use the OA spot for the first line or #1 D-Man.

I Listed two IMPORT players but it is probable one of those Import players will be acquired via trade sometime during the season. Their value is usually lessor than their contribution so that would be a viable way to fill a need.

Of course, I used placeholders on the line with Clarke. It could be trade for centre and use the LW for Import just as easy. Either or.

I am fully behind Cranley; however, there is risk involved with that move. I wouldn’t make that one lightly unless Cranley were to simply suggest he’d demand a trade if Andree were still here.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
For us to create a “contending” type team:

TRADE 19 y/o- IMPORT - Clarke
Robinson-Tolnai-Varga
Johnston-1st round pick-Sirizzotti
Crete

Rippon (OA)-Belanger
Matier-IMPORT
Costantini-Sawyer
Gill

Andree (OA)
Cranley

If we are truly talking “contender” we have to seriously consider making both Andree and Cranley work.

If we are looking at being highly competitive and let the dice fall where they fall, you look at trading Andree and use the OA spot for the first line or #1 D-Man.

I Listed two IMPORT players but it is probable one of those Import players will be acquired via trade sometime during the season. Their value is usually lessor than their contribution so that would be a viable way to fill a need.

Of course, I used placeholders on the line with Clarke. It could be trade for centre and use the LW for Import just as easy. Either or.

I am fully behind Cranley; however, there is risk involved with that move. I wouldn’t make that one lightly unless Cranley were to simply suggest he’d demand a trade if Andree were still here.
I realize you are just trying to show what we would need to be a contender but it would be foolish to go for it next year as our 2003 draft class is something to build around as long as we keep drafting well. I see us next year as having a competitive team that will finish 4-6 in the east. I say we trade Andree and one of Clarke/Quinn ( I'd go with Clarke as Quinn is too much fun to watch). Next year is a reload year imo.

Reactions: BarberPole9

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Good call, I included him in the lineup. No brainers that Rippon and Hoelscher are back. They have to decide on the Goalie situation and if somehow Andree is moved, they can possibly keep Groulx.
If we really think we are going to be competitive I think Groulx has to go unless nothing better is available. In addition, he takes too many penalties of the stupid variety.

Should Andree go an upgrade is required at OA.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I realize you are just trying to show what we would need to be a contender but it would be foolish to go for it next year as our 2003 draft class is something to build around as long as we keep drafting well. I see us next year as having a competitive team that will finish 4-6 in the east. I say we trade Andree and one of Clarke/Quinn ( I'd go with Clarke as Quinn is too much fun to watch). Next year is a reload year imo.

Great take Sirius. I'd aim to have at least one of the imports be a 2003 birthday, who is ideally a Center as the forwards Johnston, Beck and Sirizzotti are all wingers.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Great take Sirius. I'd aim to have at least one of the imports be a 2003 birthday, who is ideally a Center as the forwards Johnston, Beck and Sirizzotti are all wingers.

It would be a totally different lineup should we be in a setup mode to surround the 2003 birthdates for the future. That lineup, for me would be:

Robinson-Tolnai-Varga
Johnston-1st rounder-Sirizzotti
Crete-IMPORT-2nd rounder

Rippon (OA)-Belanger
19 y/o TRADE-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Gill

Cranley
Donoso

TRADE: Clarke and Andree

Andree and Clarke would both start the year in Ottawa. More than likely, Andree would get traded sooner and Clarke closer to the deadline. Clarke would play beside Tolnai until then.

If the team is in a top 4 East situation, which they should be, then invest in the most appropriate OA. Maybe even trade for a 2nd Veteran Import.

We need to win the first round no matter what and then be at least highly competitive int he 2nd round. We cannot fall off to the point we are not playoff competitive. It does nothing for growth.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
It would be a totally different lineup should we be in a setup mode to surround the 2003 birthdates for the future. That lineup, for me would be:

Robinson-Tolnai-Varga
Johnston-1st rounder-Sirizzotti
Crete-IMPORT-2nd rounder

Rippon (OA)-Belanger
19 y/o TRADE-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Gill

Cranley
Donoso

TRADE: Clarke and Andree

Andree and Clarke would both start the year in Ottawa. More than likely, Andree would get traded sooner and Clarke closer to the deadline. Clarke would play beside Tolnai until then.

If the team is in a top 4 East situation, which they should be, then invest in the most appropriate OA. Maybe even trade for a 2nd Veteran Import.

We need to win the first round no matter what and then be at least highly competitive int he 2nd round. We cannot fall off to the point we are not playoff competitive. It does nothing for growth.

Think that team is top 4 in the East? The top line is going to score but that 2nd line isn't going to light the lamp with any consistency then rookie 3rd line and a rookie 4th line.

To me that roster looks a lot like Hamilton this year with a really good top line and then a drastic fall off, decent D but not enough to overcome and questionable goaltending that's good at times but inconsistent.

Could see this line-up being in a fight with SBY/HAM for the 4th seed but I assume they'd trade off guys like Quinn in a non-win year to restock the cupboard, no?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
That being said, I can't see a situation where Andree and Cranley are both back next year- they will both be top 10 Goalies in the league next year in my opinion.
What has Cranley done to convince you of this? His record and stats this year look great, but when you look at who has he faced and consider the team he had in front of him, I am not so sure we can assume this is true, can we?
OTT @ KGN
OTT @ KIT
KGN @ OTT
HAM @ OTT
OTT @ NIAG
OTT @ HAM
MISS @ OTT
OTT @ KGN
NB @ OTT
KGN @ OTT
GUE @ OTT
HAM @ OTT
NIAG @ OTT
OTT @ NIAG
NB @ OTT
OTT @ MISS
OTT @ NB
KGN @ OTT
BAR @ OTT
OTT @ NB
NIAG @ OTT

Not saying he couldn't be top 10 in the league, but I wonder what leads you to this conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad