Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG you still have to deal with the American teams and their issues. A bubble system would work well for them as they can do the same thing the NHL is doing and have them play each other.

I believe the Bubble system would be counter productive financially. If it is the bubble system or nothing, I firmly believe the league owners will choose nothing. They would cancel the season.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well I say scrap the whole season, it would already be half way done now anyways. By the time anything will happen is at least March and probably later. Fans will not likely be permitted into the arenas so the financial issue is just going to be more of a burden. Pay staff with no revenue coming in.

I am sorry if Ottawa fans cannot be understanding during this time as opposed to the move to Kanata well so be it.

Merry Xmas to all 67 followers.

The Province has suggested in the most recent discussions there would be financial assistance provided as part of the organized sport assistance set aside in their budgeting.

Of course, we don’t know how much. Each Quebec based team got $1mil to assist. I can see the OHL teams getting $500k for their half season.

Let’s throw aside the long term issues. Tier II jr “A” was playing as well as Minor hockey. IMO, if 6 year olds through 20 year olds can play in Ontario arenas (provided they are located in non-restricted zones), I feel the OHL can do it as well, especially with some Provincial assistance.

Who knows, maybe by the time the playoffs arrive, they will allow some fans. The Maritime based teams were getting attendance between 1000-1500. That isn’t ideal but under the circumstances, it is pretty good.

Again the QMJHL only had issues with lockdowns. They had very few issues with actual positive tests.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
AHL is going ahead with the season missing 3 teams. I can see something like that happening in OHL with American teams opting out. I would take it that the players on those teams would be put into some sort of draft for the year.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
WHL commiting to a 24 game regular season. Start date yet to be determined, as they are waiting for provincial Health Authorhties and state jurisdiction final approvals.

Expected to happen soon.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
With the AHL starting and NHL teams getting the green light it will be interesting. I think the road travel is going to be the hard thing to sell. Teams are going to be eating a lot of fast food or teams are going to have to have food available on the busses.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With the AHL starting and NHL teams getting the green light it will be interesting. I think the road travel is going to be the hard thing to sell. Teams are going to be eating a lot of fast food or teams are going to have to have food available on the busses.

All food outlets are open for takeout so they can eat whatever they want. The only potential issue is where to physically eat it.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
My guess is that Rossi who calls Austria home, the land of the Viennese coffee house, Mozart, Klimt, eclectic cuisine would starve before eating fast food. Gotta love (and envy) the kid!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My guess is that Rossi who calls Austria home, the land of the Viennese coffee house, Mozart, Klimt, eclectic cuisine would starve before eating fast food. Gotta love (and envy) the kid!

Well, I don’t think anyone expects Rossi to return. If he doesn’t skate with Minnesota this year I believe his plan is to play in Switzerland. That is assuming he makes it back to Europe before whatever deadline they have for players to sign/report doesn’t pass before the situation in Minny is resolved.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I see Rosii is out indefinitely with an upper body injury. Unfortunate as he was just ready to join Minny.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I see Rosii is out indefinitely with an upper body injury. Unfortunate as he was just ready to join Minny.
Upper body injury solves a few problems for the Wild. This means that they can keep him in camp. He can skate in light practices BUT dows not count at this point against their numbers for roster or for the reserve squad. This will give Minnesota time to evaluate their talent that they have and watch his development in practice.

ON AN EXCITING NOTE

If the prognosticators are correct then there will be 3 67's playing in Shark uniforms. Couture is already there but he is going to be joined by Middleton on defence and Sasha looks to be a lock for the reserve squad.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
All food outlets are open for takeout so they can eat whatever they want. The only potential issue is where to physically eat it.

That was my point OMG. Gone are the days that the players get to sit in a restaurant to eat a good meal. Welcome back to Shit Shalet dinners delivered to the team bus to be eaten on the way home.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Bahl and okytuk sent to binghamton

Ottawa gets an extra first round pick in the 2021 draft.

Moldenhauser in 7 games has 19 points. The NCAA will be all over him. I think we can write him off as a would have been nice BUT.

While it is never a good thing to lose a 1st round pick this is probably as good a year as any with the short season. He would not have had the time to develop this year here in Ottawa.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
Starting to get feeling that if/when seasons gets going poles will be without Quinn this year

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Bahl and okytuk sent to binghamton

Ottawa gets an extra first round pick in the 2021 draft.

Moldenhauser in 7 games has 19 points. The NCAA will be all over him. I think we can write him off as a would have been nice BUT.

While it is never a good thing to lose a 1st round pick this is probably as good a year as any with the short season. He would not have had the time to develop this year here in Ottawa.

I wouldn't write off Moldenhauer. He needs to be declared as defected. There is no indication that he is planning on NCAA as far as I am aware. From my point of view, he is playing in an alternate league until the OHL is up and running. As of now, the OHL doesn't have a date set.

As for a proposed lineup? I will try to do one after work but the biggest question mark that affects the top of the lineup is Simontaival. I'll have to check to see if he retruned to Finland after the WJHC but it will be tough to know because I don't think they have started back up yet or whether he will be facing any quarantine period coming back from North America. He was also a draft pick so he may actually be at an NHL camp?

I doubt Buffalo burns a contract year for Quinn. Makes zero sense for any projected non-playoff teams to burn a contract year unless the player is playing premium minutes.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I wouldn't write off Moldenhauer. He needs to be declared as defected. There is no indication that he is planning on NCAA as far as I am aware. From my point of view, he is playing in an alternate league until the OHL is up and running. As of now, the OHL doesn't have a date set.

As for a proposed lineup? I will try to do one after work but the biggest question mark that affects the top of the lineup is Simontaival. I'll have to check to see if he retruned to Finland after the WJHC but it will be tough to know because I don't think they have started back up yet or whether he will be facing any quarantine period coming back from North America. He was also a draft pick so he may actually be at an NHL camp?

I doubt Buffalo burns a contract year for Quinn. Makes zero sense for any projected non-playoff teams to burn a contract year unless the player is playing premium minutes.
I would think that Moldenhauser is getting offers on the other hand not a lot of players from these teams going Pro. Part of this also could be that he may have trouble at the border. He may just be a kid that we lose for the first year but comes and gets good icetime in his second year.

Simontaival did not get an invite to camp with Kings.

Quinn my understanding is that the players n the reserve squad NHL contracts are not counted as they are paid and treated as AHL rate players. not sure how that would affect him. I think that Buffalo will keep him in camp as long as they can or until the OHL makes up it's mind. If the OHL does not play then I can see him gong to the AHL. Remember that if the OHL does not play then he would be free to sign a pro contract with the AHL team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would think that Moldenhauser is getting offers on the other hand not a lot of players from these teams going Pro. Part of this also could be that he may have trouble at the border. He may just be a kid that we lose for the first year but comes and gets good icetime in his second year.

Simontaival did not get an invite to camp with Kings.

Quinn my understanding is that the players n the reserve squad NHL contracts are not counted as they are paid and treated as AHL rate players. not sure how that would affect him. I think that Buffalo will keep him in camp as long as they can or until the OHL makes up it's mind. If the OHL does not play then I can see him gong to the AHL. Remember that if the OHL does not play then he would be free to sign a pro contract with the AHL team.

NHL won't keep guys on their reserve squad without being willing to play them. The purpose of the reserve squad is a safety net for Covid and help reduce travel between NHL and AHL clubs.

I agree they will keep Quinn as long as possible but only because the OHL isn't operating and it is better he is at least practicing than sitting and waiting.

Regarding Moldenhauer, all kids of that level receive NCAA offers. Again, I believe he is only there so he can play. Getting back in the country is not an issue. Only issue is the manditory quarantine.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

Can you dust off your crystal ball and tellus what we will have for a team this year

Best guess:

Quinn-Hoelscher(OA)-Simontaival
Beck-Tolnai-Clarke
Robinson-LaForme-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Gaidamak-Moldenhauer
Varga-Crete-Stonehouse

Rippon(OA)-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-GillShane
Mayich-Sirman

Andree(OA)
Cranley
Donoso

That is what we have that is viable.

Notes:
1 - I don't think Simontaival will report.
2 - I think Varga will play up the roster somewhere in a checking role. I could see him beside Tolnai.
3 - guys like LaForme and Gaidamak may challenge for a bigger role at centre. If we can believe some of the comments regarding LaForme, it is likely he is pencilled in for the 2nd line centre position but I am not sure he'd be ready for that.
4 - We really don't know about what the program is for Cranley. Andree may be here or he may be traded. I think we agreed that if the right trade value was present, Andree would be gone.

The biggest issue now is whether the 67s plan to just play out the season status quo or whether they believe they have a chance to play a significant number of playoff games. We do know there will only be 8 playoff teams so it is unlikley any teams will make deals unless they feel they can win their conference.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Brassard trouve du travail à Hartford

Good news for Ceddy. Not sure if this means that he wouldn’t be available for the 67’s if the season resumes or if this would be strictly a placeholder but awesome news for a great kid.
Dressing in Hellville might solve a few problems but not sure if it really is the best thing for him. Being number 3 means he is to going to get much ice time both in games and practice.

The funny thing if they have the same rule he could also end up playing for the opposing team if their goalie gets hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad