Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Looks about right but do you really think they'll play Tourigny over giving the youngens icetime. I know he's the coaches son but Tourigny never struck me as a guy to play favorite at the expense of the team.

If none of these guys return:

Rossi
Gaidamak
Simontaival
Clarke
Quinn

We won’t have enough forwards to ice a team unless they allow more 16 year olds to suit up and be on roster.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
We are in Ottawa where $$$ isn’t as big of an issue.

Unfortunately, not many clubs are in the same situation.

If they do ply and don’t get some form of agreement from the players, the teams will be on the hook for one semester education packages for this. On top of that are the operating expenses.

I just fail to see how this is beneficial to the majority of the league.

I do think we will see Rippon and Hoelscher. We won’t see any of the three potential Imports. Cedric Andree will stay in Belleville. I doubt we will see Quinn or Clarke. I think we will see Moldenhauer but the possibility exists he may not report this year. That said, he would be in line for his semester scholarship so that may bring him in.

I’d be nervous about moldenhauer reporting this year or ever at this point.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’d be nervous about moldenhauer reporting this year or ever at this point.

It's a little too early to discuss that.

As far as anyone is aware, he went south to play hockey. There is no indication he is planning on going NCAA.

The question is, if he doesn't report, do the 67s keep his rights or declare him defected? And because no players have to report, will the defected player compensation rule carry over to next year?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

As far as anyone is aware, he went south to play hockey. There is no indication he is planning on going NCAA.

The question is, if he doesn't report, do the 67s keep his rights or declare him defected? And because no players have to report, will the defected player compensation rule carry over to next year?

I think you might see him stay in the U.S. depending on when the season ends and what the deal he has with New Jersey is. I really can not see him walking away to go through quarantine and everything unless it is just for the 1 year university credit.

He is leading his team in icetime and points so I am sure that there would have to be a lot of promises made to get him to come back.

As to filling the roster that is not that huge a deal. Ottawa has a lot of players that they have drafted in the past that may also be looking for ice time. I am sure that the OHL will have some sort of flex in the role of players sitting and practising in case.

As to Quinn, Clarke and Rossi, they may end up back here even if it is for 20 games. This would let them get some game time ice time as with Quinn all he is getting is practice ice time and the OHL rule would still apply.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Another 67 joins the Belleville Senators

The Belleville Senators have signed two defensemen to Amateur Tryout Agreements. Merrick Rippon joins the Senators following three seasons in the Ontario Hockey League, spending most of his time with the Ottawa 67’s organization. Olivier LeBlanc joins the Senators after spending three seasons with the University of New Brunswick Reds of USports and five seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, splitting time between the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and the Saint John Sea Dogs.
Rippon is quite familiar to Ottawa-area fans as he has suited up for parts of three seasons with the 67’s in the OHL. He has a total of 54 points in 168 regular-season games played in the league and was a big part of a long playoff run in 2019, which saw the 67’s sweep their first three playoff series on route to a 4-2 series loss in the J. Ross Robertson Cup finals. Rippon notched four points in 17 games played through the playoffs. The 20-year old was on track for a career year before the season came to an abrupt halt, recording 13 points in 36 games played.

Reactions: BarberPole9

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019

He'll report and if he doesn't the 67's should hold his rights. They have there 1st, 2-2nds, 1-3rd and 3-4ths in this years draft already; they'll get more for him if he returns then what they are likely to receive with a 22nd pick.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He'll report and if he doesn't the 67's should hold his rights. They have there 1st, 2-2nds, 1-3rd and 3-4ths in this years draft already; they'll get more for him if he returns then what they are likely to receive with a 22nd pick.

The point is whether they will delay the defected status to next season. If they do and he wants to play on a different team, they could get that 22nd pick PLUS the trade return for him. I would be more interested in that.

However, if the defected player status isn’t pushed and he tells the 67’s he is leaning heavily on NCAA then I think they need to declare him defected. You cannot take a chance on that. You can get a similar player next draft. Why take the risk? If he goes NCAA and commits, you get ZERO.

Besides, with this year pretty much a wash, they’d get a 16 year old rookie 22nd overall pick instead of a 17 year old rookie in Moldenhauer. Apples to apples? I guess it all depends on how you rate Moldenhauer and whether you feel you can get an honest sense of the upcoming draft for the OHL from a ratings perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad