Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
At this point, with the status of the lockdown in Ontario, it is getting really tight to get a real season int he books. Like I said on the other thread regarding the WHL having a 24 game season, the regular season would need to start by the first weekend in March to get:

2 game regular season
3 rounds of playoffs with round one being 5 games
Memorial Cup based on the scheduled start date in June

If rinks are closed through mid-February, it will be really tight and that is assuming the lockdown isn’t extended.

I’ve tried to stay positive through this whole mess but my confidence is waning.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Makes sense but do you know if he can sign with Binghampton without it being an entry level contract or can he only be signed by the Devils for such as it's theit farm team?
He'd have to sign his ELC. Or he could wait until after June 1st, 2021 and then his rights are no longer owned by NJ and any AHL team could sign him to a minor league deal

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He'd have to sign his ELC. Or he could wait until after June 1st, 2021 and then his rights are no longer owned by NJ and any AHL team could sign him to a minor league deal

Is an AHL PTO an option? I don’t remember a player ever signing one prior to an ELC when they have their rights held by the parent club but I am not sure if the language precludes it provided both NJ and Ottawa sign off on it with the intention of a return to Ottawa if/when the OHL opens up again.

Usually when OHL seasons are complete and players play in the AHL, they sign their ELC.

Even if it were possible to do, I am unsure if Clarke would do a PTO with no insurance etc of at least having his ELC.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
How does the 9 games rule apply this year for players like Quinn? Does it mean that they can keep him all year on the taxi squad as long as he does not play 9 games?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Becasuse Qunn's contract has not been started and he is taxi squad can Buffalo keep him this year n the taxi squad and not send him back. remember the wording is that they can not play in any league other than the NHL.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Personally, I think the best thing that could happen now is for the OHL to admit there will not be a season. Then have the NHL open 3 bubbles

one out west one in Ontario and one in Quebec Have the bubble be for a 2 week period for all players eligible for the NHL draft and run a training camp so that they can showcase their abilities.

Any one of the cities other than the GTA would work in Ontario. Players attending would have to pay a small portion of the costs to attend.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Personally, I think the best thing that could happen now is for the OHL to admit there will not be a season. Then have the NHL open 3 bubbles

one out west one in Ontario and one in Quebec Have the bubble be for a 2 week period for all players eligible for the NHL draft and run a training camp so that they can showcase their abilities.

Any one of the cities other than the GTA would work in Ontario. Players attending would have to pay a small portion of the costs to attend.

That would be a waste of time, money and resources. The NHL has a much higher level or vested interest in players already drafted than they do 17 year olds undrafted.

If anything, the NHL would want to see their prospects developing.

At best, we are looking at a 24 game season plus 3 rounds of playoffs. It is at least something but I’m not sure how significant that is from a development standpoint. I will leave that up to the experts to comment on since I really cannot say.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
That would be a waste of time, money and resources. The NHL has a much higher level or vested interest in players already drafted than they do 17 year olds undrafted.

At best, we are looking at a 24 game season plus 3 rounds of playoffs. It is at least something but I’m not sure how significant that is from a development standpoint. I will leave that up to the experts to comment on since I really cannot say.

gas playoffs and mem cup. Have all 20 teams play 24-32 games for the purpose of development for all.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

however, they are going to need some means of checking the development of players this year before they draft them.
With the way things are going I am not sure that they can get the green light for a season but players like Matier and others need to be able to be seen by scouts.

If there is no season what or how would you suggest they do the draft

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
gas playoffs and mem cup. Have all 20 teams play 24-32 games for the purpose of development for all.
I like this idea. To expand on it, play 32 games or whatever within conference and the top point getters, play a 2/3 to go to M cup. I still think they should get M cup in. Just minimize the playoffs so all players get their time in. Heck could even do a one game winner take all for the m- cup berth. Weird I know but its that kind of year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

And that may be the best option. Try to get as many games as possible played.

However, what about when teams get knocked out of the playoffs, they continue to play games for development purposes. The top 8 teams go on to “the playoffs” while the remaining teams continue playing? Just a shot in the dark with this but it may suit both needs...

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Is it safe to say that valentines is the make it or break it deadline. I think if they go any later they are not going to be able to compete for much nor will there be that much interest in CHL hockey.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Is it safe to say that valentines is the make it or break it deadline. I think if they go any later they are not going to be able to compete for much nor will there be that much interest in CHL hockey.

It is going to depend on the goal:

1> What is the goal? If the goal is to play games and continue development, then they can play about 40 games with no playoffs from March to June.
2> If the goal is to expose players to an NHL draft, it would be up to the NHL to piece together what their requirements would be and then simply conduct a tournament that is completely separate from league play.
3> If the goal is to hold a viable Championship that culminates in a Memorial Cup tournament, then I think you are looking at a league start no later than the 2nd weekend of March. That would get around 20-24 games in a regular season followed by three playoff rounds.

The other issue would be how long to prepare for a season. As of right now, the Ontario mandate for Province wide lockdowns is scheduled until February 10th.

As far as I am aware, over the last week, the infection rate has started to reduce. However, the Hospitalizations in the GTA are still very high and they are starting to transfer patients to other centres. So, it is hard to get a sense of whether that date will be extended or not.

Here in Ottawa, we are experiencing a sharp reduction in cases and hospitalizations/ICU over the last week. My prediction is by Feb 10 we will be back down to where we were prior to Christmas. Unfortunately, I cannot say that will be the case in other centres.

As a best case scenario, I think the Province wide lockdown is lifted on Feb 10. The Province reverts back to their regional colour coded restrictions. Only the GTA is affected seriously enough to keep indoor rinks closed. That means only the Steelheads are affected. That would give the league teams 3-4 weeks to assemble and train for the season start the first or second weekend in March.

To me, that is the best case scenario. That absolute best case.

That still doesn’t address the issue of three American teams and how they would participate which is a completely separate issue that hasn’t been addressed by the league at all publicly. So, anything we talk about with respect to American teams participating is speculation/guessing at best.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
The QMJHL is back and The Western Hockey League has been granted approval to return to play in Alberta as of Feb 26, so when will the OHL be back?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The QMJHL is back and The Western Hockey League has been granted approval to return to play in Alberta as of Feb 26, so when will the OHL be back?

I think a lot will depend on if the Q has any more difficulties as well as unfortunately can they get covid under control n the GTA.

The problem that you face is that many of the cities are actually suburbs of the GTA. So as far as the government may be concerned Barrie, Mississauga, Oshawa, Hamilton and Guelph will be the teams they worry about.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think a lot will depend on if the Q has any more difficulties as well as unfortunately can they get covid under control n the GTA.

The problem that you face is that many of the cities are actually suburbs of the GTA. So as far as the government may be concerned Barrie, Mississauga, Oshawa, Hamilton and Guelph will be the teams they worry about.

That really hasn’t been the case. Each individual Health Unit is separate. We did see some spread from Peel Region but generally speaking, it wasn’t a wildfire spread.

In early December, only the Steelheads were affected by “Red Zone” designation.

We cannot predict what the Province will do with respect to lifting the lockdown orders on Feb 10. I assume the Province wide orders will be lifted but we won’t know. Even if they are lifted, the colour coding will apply and we are not certain where each Health Unit will be placed on the colour chart. So, even if the lockdown is lifted, there is a chance not enough Health Units will be coded to allow Indoor Arenas to be open for use.

I think we will have a better sense on Feb 10-11 when the Health Units are colour coded. I think the OHL will be able to properly project what is and is not possible at that time.

My feeling is they won’t play or at least won’t play anything resembling something like a regular season and playoff. I hope I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->