Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Terrible news for Marco. Hopefully he recovers fully.

Unfortunately goes to show even elite 19 year old athletes can suffer consequences from Covid.

Reactions: Otto

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Not great for Marco but at least he can be home and get better and get some ice time on a relaxed basis.

Question Ottawa has a few players in the league that are doing well some maybe more than others expected.

UNSUNG 67 STAR

This is a player that did not get drafted and was not a star player but could always be counted on to give 100%.

my nominee: Dan Tudin Never was a top-line player but could be counted on to give everything he had every game and every chance he got.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not great for Marco but at least he can be home and get better and get some ice time on a relaxed basis.

Question Ottawa has a few players in the league that are doing well some maybe more than others expected.

UNSUNG 67 STAR

This is a player that did not get drafted and was not a star player but could always be counted on to give 100%.

my nominee: Dan Tudin Never was a top-line player but could be counted on to give everything he had every game and every chance he got.

100% Dan Tudin. To me, he should be the poster boy for OHL recruitment.

Ge was something like a 16th round pick. Barely played his first year. By the time he was 19, he was around a point per game. Same in his OA year. Went on to play CIS four years and graduated.

He toiled a bit in the ECHL and ended up playing in Italy. 20+ years later, he's still playing in Italy. Still putting up around a point per game in his 40's!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OMG I hve to wonder has there not been anyone in that vain since Dan.
I will submit Mark Mancari. I know he was picked quite a bit higher than Tudin....4th/5th round I forget. Anyway the first two years I'm going WTF is Kilrea thinking and he's playing him! He looked like Bambi on ice. Anyway he turned out a great 19/20 y.o., had a cup of coffee in the nhl and a pretty good AHL career... not too shabby. I agree not quite the reach achieved by Tudin but close.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Another one was Julien Demers who was a 15th round pick I believe. Had a great OHL career and became a first pairing D. Not sure what he did after the O though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Another one was Julien Demers who was a 15th round pick I believe. Had a great OHL career and became a first pairing D. Not sure what he did after the O though.

I don't think those are the types of guys Beast and I are referring to.

I think what we are suggesting is guys that made the most out of an opportunity they managed to get at long odds.

I can see maybe looking at Demers because he was a mid-round pick (around 8th maybe?). But I admire the kids that hang in there, end up playing 4 or 5 years, go to University, play 4 years and graduate. They do it the right way. They take care of their future and then they reach for a pro hockey career.

If it is about long odds guys that end up as Pro’s with no real education, the guy that comes to mind most is Claude Giroux. Unpicked in the Ontario Hockey League and wins a spot with the Gatineau Olympiques as a walk-on. Goes on to be a star player, first round NHL pick and one of the franchise leaders in most offensive categories for the Flyers. If he remains with the Flyers, he is likely to hold every offensive record by the time he is done.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don't think those are the types of guys Beast and I are referring to.

I think what we are suggesting is guys that made the most out of an opportunity they managed to get at long odds.

I can see maybe looking at Demers because he was a mid-round pick (around 8th maybe?). But I admire the kids that hang in there, end up playing 4 or 5 years, go to University, play 4 years and graduate. They do it the right way. They take care of their future and then they reach for a pro hockey career.

If it is about long odds guys that end up as Pro’s with no real education, the guy that comes to mind most is Claude Giroux. Unpicked in the Ontario Hockey League and wins a spot with the Gatineau Olympiques as a walk-on. Goes on to be a star player, first round NHL pick and one of the franchise leaders in most offensive categories for the Flyers. If he remains with the Flyers, he is likely to hold every offensive record by the time he is done.
Ok was more thinking of guys who overachieved based on initial expectations. Did research and Mancari was actually a second round pick 34th overall. Did not remember him being drafted so high. It does however explain my initial frustration with him though. As i said I distinctly remember thinking what the f... is Killer thinking. He looked awful the first two years. I guess it's why I saw him as a guy that beat the odds a bit. As for Julien Demers he was actually a 15th round pick who had a very good junior career then university. That was the end of his road however compared to Tudin who went on playing.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Congratulations

Tye Felhaber
Clint Windsor
Jacob Middleton
Joseph Garreffa
Dalton Smith
Jack Quinn
Nathan Todd
Kody Clark
Travis Barron
Nikita Okhotyuk
Cedrick Andree

Also adding Grahme Clarke seems he is delayed because of visa issues and American Quarantine but will suit up for the Devils

All starting in AHL

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG correct me if I am wrong but the word I heard was that Tudin made the team because he was a hard worker and lived int eh area so the team did not have to pay billett. He then earned the extra years sith his effort

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG correct me if I am wrong but the word I heard was that Tudin made the team because he was a hard worker and lived int eh area so the team did not have to pay billett. He then earned the extra years sith his effort

My understanding is he was picked because his grandfather was Connie Tudin and Killer had some form of relationship with the family. I can’t remember what the relationship was.

Dan was invited to training camp. Back then only the players picked in the top 3 rounds were eligible to play as 16 year olds. The rules have since changed. He was sent “wherever” to play his Tier II Junior. He came into camp the following year and held onto a spot. He played mostly 4th line but he worked hard.

I am not too sure about the “paying the billet” because I remember having a conversation with Wendy Stonier around the same time and she said parents of players that live at home get the billet money regardless of the fact they are family. Back then it was $400 per month.

He certainly didn’t get a lot of ice time his first two seasons. It was a surprise to see Tudin riding with Tessier and Gustavson in his 3rd season during training camp but the trio would go on to be one of the best 2nd line combo’s in the league for two seasons. The funny part was the three of them all played their OA year together on the same line in 1999, the Memorial Cup year.

Dan was a humble kid back the, clearly appreciative of his opportunity. I always remember thinking his parents must have been really good people because Dan was such a humble kid.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Yeah back then there were a lot of wild child's on the team but Dan just seemed to be in his own world. He was a great team player, was always available for the fans but stayed true to himself. It would not surprise me to see him coaching in Europe soon

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah back then there were a lot of wild child's on the team but Dan just seemed to be in his own world. He was a great team player, was always available for the fans but stayed true to himself. It would not surprise me to see him coaching in Europe soon

I believe he is a player/coach and has been for about 4 years.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Assuming the season is cancelled, what would the lineup for next season look like. Some discussion about double cohort rookies where rookies from two separate draft classes are all on the same team as 16 and 17 year olds and what that could mean to lineups...interesting discussion for sure.

Here’s a stab in the dark:

Robinson - Tolnai - Simontaival (Imp)
Beck - Gaidamak (Imp) - Sirizzotti
Johnston - LaForme - Moldenhauer
Crete - 1st 2021 - Stonehouse
2nd (OS) 2021
OA - Varga?

Belanger - Matier
Sawyer - Costantini
Sirman - Gill
Mayich - 2nd 2021

Cranley
Donoso

Including the Imports, we’d have 10-12 rookies!

Next season will be interesting to say the least. Even if we play this season, the schedule will be short and the rookies won’t really get enough games in to truly be a veteran next season.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, it looks like the OHL is going to take a stab at starting up for a 24 game schedule and short playoff.

Teams will be bubbled in four hub cities. That means potential expanded rosters to cover possible injuries etc.

The Finish Junior League is set to restart this weekend by the looks of their schedule. I am not sure Simontaival will come over or not.

Rossi may end up playing in Ottawa after all. He is on a 6 week rest period and is set to be re-evaluated by the Wild in mid-March after 6 weeks off. HE is officially out for the season with Minnesota but he could potentially play a short OHL season if they feel he is healthy enough to do so. I am not saying he will but the circumstances surrounding current illness suggest it is possible.

With the requirement to roster 3 goalies likely, I imagine the 67’s would keep Andree unless they work out a deal where they acquire a goalie in the trade.

Should be an interesting 4 weeks of trades etc leading up to the season.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I am pumped for the season. A couple interesting tidbits:

Simontaival is playing Pro in the LIIGA: Kasper Simontaival at eliteprospects.com 15 gp, 3 points. He'd be an amazing addition to the team

Andree has signed an amateur tryout deal with Belleville as of this morning: Andree and Calisti join Belleville on Amateur Tryouts - Belleville Senators
No guarantee that he'll stay there but hopefully he does well if he gets a chance. As I recall, Jake Middleton signed an ATO with the Sharks AHL affiliate and we all assumed that he'd return but stayed the entire season on it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am pumped for the season. A couple interesting tidbits:

Simontaival is playing Pro in the LIIGA: Kasper Simontaival at eliteprospects.com 15 gp, 3 points. He'd be an amazing addition to the team

Andree has signed an amateur tryout deal with Belleville as of this morning: Andree and Calisti join Belleville on Amateur Tryouts - Belleville Senators
No guarantee that he'll stay there but hopefully he does well if he gets a chance. As I recall, Jake Middleton signed an ATO with the Sharks AHL affiliate and we all assumed that he'd return but stayed the entire season on it.

Simontaival is currently on loan to the Junior club. I believe they play their first game after the Covid layoff tomorrow.

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Potential lineup if Moldenhauer stays in the USHL, Simontaival comes over and Andree stays in the A.

Quinn-Hoelscher-Simontaival
Sirizzotti-Gaidamak-Clarke
Robinson-Tolnai-Beck
Crete-Laforme-Varga
Johnston-Stonehouse

Rippon-Belanger
Costantini-Matier
Sawyer-Gill-Shane
Thomas Sirman

Cranley
Donoso

Would NCAA players like Colby Ambrosio or Dylan Peterson join the team after their NCAA seasons if they are intending to go pro next year? It doesn't seem like a good year to recruit an NCAA bound player but maybe there will be wildcards with players leaving the NCAA.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
STEEL ADD THREE TO CURRENT ROSTER

Potentially bad news about Moldenhauer. The Steel are easily the top development program in the USHL and only recently had Owen Power before he went to the U of M.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Moldenhauer at this point. Many kids are just trying to play wherever they can and this is another example of that. He has not committed to any NCAA schools so it is still unlikely he plans to go that route.

The article also suggests he is a short term call up as a fill in for injuries to other forwards. His stint there may not be for very long.

Even if he does decide to remain in the USA for this season, it doesn’t mean he isn’t planning on coming to Ottawa next season.

The goal for this season and the OHL is to simply get development time in for players. IF Moldenhauer is getting that time in down south then so be it. All good.

I highly doubt NCAA commits will ditch that plan right now. I think Peterson is dead set to play NCAA and graduate after four years. Ambrosio? Dunno.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Well, it looks like the OHL is going to take a stab at starting up for a 24 game schedule and short playoff.

Teams will be bubbled in four hub cities. That means potential expanded rosters to cover possible injuries etc.

The Finish Junior League is set to restart this weekend by the looks of their schedule. I am not sure Simontaival will come over or not.

Rossi may end up playing in Ottawa after all. He is on a 6 week rest period and is set to be re-evaluated by the Wild in mid-March after 6 weeks off. HE is officially out for the season with Minnesota but he could potentially play a short OHL season if they feel he is healthy enough to do so. I am not saying he will but the circumstances surrounding current illness suggest it is possible.

With the requirement to roster 3 goalies likely, I imagine the 67’s would keep Andree unless they work out a deal where they acquire a goalie in the trade.

Should be an interesting 4 weeks of trades etc leading up to the season.

Where are the fund$ coming from for all of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad