Jan 16, 2009
2020-12-15
3.png
Noel Hoefenmayer (D)
Toronto MarliesWichita Thunder
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Well one thing that is good is that he is getting ice time Wichita opens their season on new years day.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Maybe that's why he was sent down. If so, he will return once the AHL season opens. Not sure when that is.

That is what I was thinking he is a rookie and instead of bringing him to camp let him show in-game conditions if he is ready for the AHL. The funny thing is that it is the Oilers farm team that they sent him to.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
That is what I was thinking he is a rookie and instead of bringing him to camp let him show in-game conditions if he is ready for the AHL. The funny thing is that it is the Oilers farm team that they sent him to.
He's on an AHL/ECHL agreement, different CBA and PHPA than the NHL.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
Q is back up and running the last 2 weekends in January in select cities. As an OHL fan I am big time jealous. I for one will be continuing to stream the Olympiques games to get my fix. That team has not gotten alot of english press locally in last few seasons, but they are building a powerhouse across the river.
For those that don't know, Gatineau was able to load up and select 4 players in the top 8 picks in last draft. All 4 16 yr olds look really special so far. Some championships on the way for sure

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Q is back up and running the last 2 weekends in January in select cities. As an OHL fan I am big time jealous. I for one will be continuing to stream the Olympiques games to get my fix. That team has not gotten alot of english press locally in last few seasons, but they are building a powerhouse across the river.
For those that don't know, Gatineau was able to load up and select 4 players in the top 8 picks in last draft. All 4 16 yr olds look really special so far. Some championships on the way for sure

Yeah. Four picks in top 8 is f’n sick!

They had #1, #2, #4 and #8.

Just to give some OHL fans a parallel to this, let’s go back to the OHL draft from 2018 so we have perspective of our 18 year olds...

#1 - Quinton Byfield
#2 - Evan Vierling
#4 - Jamie Drysdale
#8 - James Hardie

Both Vierling and Hardie were point per game forwards as 17 year olds and we all know about the impact both Byfield and Drysdale provide...#2 and #6 in this years NHL Draft and both on Team Canada as 18 year olds.

It won’t make a huge difference for Gatineau this year BUT starting next year they should start being silly good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris67

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Received an e-mail from the 67s stating that the season is delayed due to the situation in Ontario, David Branch made an announcement that nothing will be happening with the OHL until it is deemed safe to do so by health officials and also goverment approval. Obviously no time estimate given.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Statement from OHL Commissioner David Branch
Toronto, Ont. – After meeting with our Board of Governors and General Managers, the OHL has made the decision to delay the start of the 2020-21 season. Training camps had been scheduled to begin in mid-January, many players were set to report to their teams in early January, and games were scheduled to commence on February 4, 2021.
This decision follows Premier Ford’s announcement of a province-wide shutdown in Ontario commencing on December 26, 2020. The League will continue to consult and work closely with Governments and health authorities to determine potential start dates in the new year.
The safety of all of our stakeholders and communities is our priority and we are committed to starting the 2020-21 season when it is safe to do so. We know that this is difficult news for many of our players, fans, billets, parents, staff and teams. However, the restrictions both provincially in Ontario as well as nationally with regards to cross-border travel have informed our decision.
On behalf of the OHL, we wish everyone a safe and healthy holiday season and we look forward to dropping the puck when we safely start the 2020-21 season.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Statement from OHL Commissioner David Branch
Toronto, Ont. – After meeting with our Board of Governors and General Managers, the OHL has made the decision to delay the start of the 2020-21 season. Training camps had been scheduled to begin in mid-January, many players were set to report to their teams in early January, and games were scheduled to commence on February 4, 2021.
This decision follows Premier Ford’s announcement of a province-wide shutdown in Ontario commencing on December 26, 2020. The League will continue to consult and work closely with Governments and health authorities to determine potential start dates in the new year.
The safety of all of our stakeholders and communities is our priority and we are committed to starting the 2020-21 season when it is safe to do so. We know that this is difficult news for many of our players, fans, billets, parents, staff and teams. However, the restrictions both provincially in Ontario as well as nationally with regards to cross-border travel have informed our decision.
On behalf of the OHL, we wish everyone a safe and healthy holiday season and we look forward to dropping the puck when we safely start the 2020-21 season.
Just my opinion, but I doubt their will be a 2020-21 season. We were scheduled to start on Feb. 4 and now their will be another extended period with no commitment in sight.

Hope I am wrong, but the safety of all involved still has to be the #1 priority.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the OHL will do what it takes to get some sort of season in the books.

This is a short delay. I have zero faith the GTA will get under control because of the tight population base which makes it much harder than other towns.

That said, only the Steelheads are located in the GTA.

Provided they can work something out for a relocation for Mississauga, Flint, Erie and Saginaw, we should see a 20 team league play at some point.

The regular season may be a bit short, obviously. But, it is better they play a 30 game regular season and a three round playoff with a Memorial Cup than it is to simply not have a season.

I think the OHL will make the sacrifices necessary to salvage whatever they can, albeit a shadow of what a regular season would be, unfortunately.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I think the OHL will do what it takes to get some sort of season in the books.

This is a short delay. I have zero faith the GTA will get under control because of the tight population base which makes it much harder than other towns.

That said, only the Steelheads are located in the GTA.

Provided they can work something out for a relocation for Mississauga, Flint, Erie and Saginaw, we should see a 20 team league play at some point.

The regular season may be a bit short, obviously. But, it is better they play a 30 game regular season and a three round playoff with a Memorial Cup than it is to simply not have a season.

I think the OHL will make the sacrifices necessary to salvage whatever they can, albeit a shadow of what a regular season would be, unfortunately.

There r more regions then just the gta in trouble.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Nobody knows.
Not everyone follows the rules.

I’m not going to engage in this as it has been made very clear this type of conversation is not allowed.

All I will say is I think the Province will be in a situation that will allow for the OHL to operate when they see fit. The existing lockdown impacted their assembly plans and when the lockdown is lifted, the assembly plans will then be enacted.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I’m not going to engage in this as it has been made very clear this type of conversation is not allowed.

All I will say is I think the Province will be in a situation that will allow for the OHL to operate when they see fit. The existing lockdown impacted their assembly plans and when the lockdown is lifted, the assembly plans will then be enacted.

I disagree

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The only way the OHL will get back is if they do the same thing as the WJC.

1. teams hold training camps in their homes (hotel for the players)
2. set up bubbles for each division.
3. top 4 teams make the playoffs
4. playoffs held in a bubble location
5. finals held at the location from one location.

An example. Ottawa, Kingston, Peterborough, Oshawa
Bubble in Kingston with a deal with Agnew hotels
each team play each other 8 times

Playoffs in a location that has a low covid rate.

8 teams play each other 4 times
Top 2 teams make it to finals

Finals again in a location that has low covid
top 4 teams then play in schedule best 4 out of 7

Tope 2 teams 4 out of 7

Only people allowed are scouts and they must also be quarantined

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The only way the OHL will get back is if they do the same thing as the WJC.

1. teams hold training camps in their homes (hotel for the players)
2. set up bubbles for each division.
3. top 4 teams make the playoffs
4. playoffs held in a bubble location
5. finals held at the location from one location.

An example. Ottawa, Kingston, Peterborough, Oshawa
Bubble in Kingston with a deal with Agnew hotels
each team play each other 8 times

Playoffs in a location that has a low covid rate.

8 teams play each other 4 times
Top 2 teams make it to finals

Finals again in a location that has low covid
top 4 teams then play in schedule best 4 out of 7

Tope 2 teams 4 out of 7

Only people allowed are scouts and they must also be quarantined

Or they do what they were doing in the QMJHL. They had relatively little issue. The problem in the "Q" was almost entirely to do with lockdowns which closed off rink access in many regions of the Province. The Maritime teams had virtually no interruptions at all.

To me, the key is to hope most regions of Ontario outside the GTA remain stable enough to keep arenas open. Provided that can happen, the OHL should have no issues other than dealing with the random positive test here and there.

With minot hockey playing provided arena access is available as well as Tier II jr A playing, there should be no reason why the OHL cannot play.

Financial losses are the 2nd big issue. But if the bulk of the Province outside the GTa can remain in orange zones or better and the OHL can operate with manageble financial losses, it will be a big green light.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Or they do what they were doing in the QMJHL. They had relatively little issue. The problem in the "Q" was almost entirely to do with lockdowns which closed off rink access in many regions of the Province. The Maritime teams had virtually no interruptions at all.

To me, the key is to hope most regions of Ontario outside the GTA remain stable enough to keep arenas open. Provided that can happen, the OHL should have no issues other than dealing with the random positive test here and there.

With minot hockey playing provided arena access is available as well as Tier II jr A playing, there should be no reason why the OHL cannot play.

Financial losses are the 2nd big issue. But if the bulk of the Province outside the GTa can remain in orange zones or better and the OHL can operate with manageble financial losses, it will be a big green light.

Thats a big "if"..

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG you still have to deal with the American teams and their issues. A bubble system would work well for them as they can do the same thing the NHL is doing and have them play each other.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well I say scrap the whole season, it would already be half way done now anyways. By the time anything will happen is at least March and probably later. Fans will not likely be permitted into the arenas so the financial issue is just going to be more of a burden. Pay staff with no revenue coming in.

I am sorry if Ottawa fans cannot be understanding during this time as opposed to the move to Kanata well so be it.

Merry Xmas to all 67 followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad