Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Very serious allegations being taken to court on abuse in the OHL and one of the people who went on regard was Doug Smith (2nd overall pick to the Kings) who played his 3 years under Brian Kilrea and basically described it as hell.

Dont get to know your heros apparently...

lol..sounds like 'hell' for sure!:)
“He had no worry in the world for any game,” says Kilrea. “He would just come in and he knew he could excel. He didn’t have to go to bed at 10 o’clock at night. He could go to bed anytime he wanted, get up, have a bowl of soup, and play great.”
Kilrea didn’t try to change him. “Sometimes rules get in the way, sometimes systems get in the way,” the ex-coach says.
“We’ve never tried to change guys with talent.”
Kilrea would always be Smith’s favourite coach for just that reason."

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
lol..sounds like 'hell' for sure!:)
“He had no worry in the world for any game,” says Kilrea. “He would just come in and he knew he could excel. He didn’t have to go to bed at 10 o’clock at night. He could go to bed anytime he wanted, get up, have a bowl of soup, and play great.”
Kilrea didn’t try to change him. “Sometimes rules get in the way, sometimes systems get in the way,” the ex-coach says.
“We’ve never tried to change guys with talent.”
Kilrea would always be Smith’s favourite coach for just that reason."

All of the above quotes seem to come from Kilrea , did the last one come from him also?

Otto

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There are many of us that used to be at practices and were either on the bench or near it during games.
wAS kILLER A TASK MASTER OH YEAH

DID HE DEMAND THAT PLAYERS PLAY FULL OUT whether at practice or in games DAMN RIGHT

Players were told to respect themselves and each other.

I think that it you look at what Smith did in the NHL (not that much) it says a lot.

Killer coached like most coaches of his time. No matter what sport.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
So the quote didn't come from the player. Can't really be used as proof of anything

Oh boy...
So the part ..Kilrea would always be Smith’s favourite coach for just that reason... is an assertion made by the writer after a presumably long interview and in-depth research in writing the article. Are you implying that the writer - 30 yr veteran of covering the Ottawa sport beat - just went and made this part up?

Otto

Oh boy...
So the part ..Kilrea would always be Smith’s favourite coach for just that reason... is an assertion made by the writer after a presumably long interview and in-depth research in writing the article. Are you implying that the writer - 30 yr veteran of covering the Ottawa sport beat - just went and made this part up?
No... I'm saying the same thing you are. It's an assertion made by the writer. It also came at a time when Smith was trying to tell his story of recovery.

You're trying to take that assertation as a "gotcha" moment. Bottom line only Smith knows what his feelings are.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
He was the head coach and known as a guy who was extremely detail oriented and ran a team borederline military style where every single thing had his finger print on it. So you dont get to be like that then be like "ohhhh some of my players were being brutalized in the dressing room and on the bus (which i was also on? who knew!"

What a joke you guys are trying to defend him. Disgusting

There are a lot of things in the past, while horrific where not so at the time. But that doesn't condone anyone for doing them. At one time drinking and driving was sorta okay. Now, as we have evolved, this is a major issue.

The whole issue is to make sure that we have evolved and things like this never happen again.

Lets not forget that it was Kilrea who traded away a very popular player to Belleville after it was revealed he was the ringleader of a hotboxing of rookies on the bus.

Otto

There are a lot of things in the past, while horrific where not so at the time. But that doesn't condone anyone for doing them. At one time drinking and driving was sorta okay. Now, as we have evolved, this is a major issue.

The whole issue is to make sure that we have evolved and things like this never happen again.

Lets not forget that it was Kilrea who traded away a very popular player to Belleville after it was revealed he was the ringleader of a hotboxing of rookies on the bus.

I've been around for a while... I can't ever recall a time where this stuff was "not so horrific"

Affidavits outline alleged abuse, harassment and hazing in junior hockey - TSN.ca

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
On another note, I was having a conversation with my son after he read that Michael Peca was involved in one of the most lopsided trade in OHL history.

My recollection was that we traded Mike Lenarduzzi to Sudbury for Dan Ryder and a throw in which was Peca.

I think we had previously traded for Lenarduzzi from the Soo for Chris Simon?

Can anyone confirm this?

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

Yeah it takes someone who is willing to stand up for the disenfranchised (in this case rookies who were looked at as lesser) in order for a behaviour to change. Unfortunately Kilrea wasn't that guy. Just because someone is a good coach doesn't mean they're a great person who's going to stand up for their younger players, we just wish they were

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it is probably time to drop this conversation.

First, There was no mention of Brian Kilrea in any of the official comments, only the note that he was the coach at the time. Trying to vilify him for these transgressions is simply not acceptable based on the information that was conveyed in the reports.

Second, this sort of behaviour was more condoned in those days. Way more than it is today. In fact, it was pretty much expected to a certain degree.

Third, we know stupid shit happens all the time with hazing. I’d like to think it has gotten more creative like the rookies are responsible to help load the bus on road trips etc. However, we know there still are some incidences and some other “A-type” personality veterans that are partly psycho and do ridiculous things.

The goal of this exercise is to shed light on the subject, not to vilify people for practises 40 years ago. IT is about discovery and to measure whether there has been incremental change with respect to culture in hockey.

I think we should just leave it there and allow the process to take place. These sorts of topics can go sideways really quick. Pointing fingers does no one any good when so much time has elapsed.

Reactions: Bardownbeauty

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
After cuts today ..I’m starting to think that Clarkie might be hanging around as a spare forward at least for TC

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
After cuts today ..I’m starting to think that Clarkie might be hanging around as a spare forward at least for TC

Cosantino has him pencilled in on the 2nd line with Byfield with Jack Quinn getting cut. I’ve not heard a peep about Quinn other than he had a slow start prior to the quarantine. But, Clarke seems to have been quite good.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Cosantino has him pencilled in on the 2nd line with Byfield with Jack Quinn getting cut. I’ve not heard a peep about Quinn other than he had a slow start prior to the quarantine. But, Clarke seems to have been quite good.
Yes saw that too by cosantino which surprised me. I still think Quinn makes it and Not Clarke. Quinn is a more complete player and he's arguably one of the best pure snipers on the team....plus Tourigny knows what he can do even if he had a slow start to camp. I'm not sure Clarke's skating translates ideally to this type of tournament. I doubt he makes it unless its a specialized pp role. We'll likely know this morning.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
Looks like Clarke was close. Too bad he was left off team
I am willing to bet we see a huge year from that kid this year. A top 10 scoring type year. Poles need him to stay healthy.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Agreed too bad for Clarke but I'm not overly surprised. He's a great kid and it would have been nice to see him play. He had an uphill battle missing most of last year and this year could be an historically deep roster. As you say Boris if he's healthy it will be interesting to see what type of year he has.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
In the 2 games I saw I thought Clarke looked great.

I am sure Alain had a long talk with him.

Question I can't remember if Clarke was a 2 way player and wonder if that was the knock on him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In the 2 games I saw I thought Clarke looked great.

I am sure Alain had a long talk with him.

Question I can't remember if Clarke was a 2 way player and wonder if that was the knock on him.

Clarke is a one dimensional scorer with not the best skating.

Last year was his year to leap out of that pigeon hole he found himself in and by all accounts he did the prerequisite work during the previous offseason but his early injury combined with the cancellation of the season didn’t really afford him an opportunity to step forward. That will have been his undoing.

All that said, considering he was afforded an opportunity AND he managed to win over quite a few people with his overall play does speak loudly that he has managed to break free from his stigma as a one dimensional player or at least he has added a decent level of skating ability to go along with his scoring touch.

It will be very interesting to see him get a chance to leap forward this year if the OHL can get going.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Jack Quinn added to the top line at Team Canada camp. He must be starting to gain his stride.

With how sneaky fast he can be and not being afraid of the dirty areas at the centre of the ice, he may do very well in that role. Let's see if he can keep that position on the depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad