Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Bonjour mes freres,
I'm watching Victoriaville and Shawinigan and my French is good enough to understand most of the play by play. But I was hoping that mes potes d'Ottawa could offer some assistance. Mise en echec? Remind me, is that a 'body check', 'hit'?
And if you're really bored, you could provide a glossary of some of the common hockey expressions. E. G. I don't know the translation for "hit the post". Merci...

Oui mise en echec = body check
Hit the post = frapper le poteau
Mise au jeu = face off
Blanchissage = shut out
Et c'est le but= he scores
Dans la lucarne = top net
Lancer frappé = slap shot
Tir du poignet = wrist shot
Tir du revers = backhand
Dejouer = deke
Déviation = tipped shot
Out of ideas for now! Hope this helps
A la prochaine cher partisan ( = fan) de Londres

Reactions: nelli27

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Oui mise en echec = body check
Hit the post = frapper le poteau
Mise au jeu = face off
Blanchissage = shut out
Et c'est le but= he scores
Dans la lucarne = top net
Lancer frappé = slap shot
Tir du poignet = wrist shot
Tir du revers = backhand
Dejouer = deke
Déviation = tipped shot
Out of ideas for now! Hope this helps
A la prochaine cher partisan ( = fan) de Londres
Merci beaucoup, mon frere! Very
helpful.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just got done watching the 2 WJC games and Clarke is definitely showing how stuff. Have nor heard Quinn mentioned much but I think that is to be expected.

Wright is really showing his skills really impressed

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Bonjour mes freres,
I'm watching Victoriaville and Shawinigan and my French is good enough to understand most of the play by play. But I was hoping that mes potes d'Ottawa could offer some assistance. Mise en echec? Remind me, is that a 'body check', 'hit'?
And if you're really bored, you could provide a glossary of some of the common hockey expressions. E. G. I don't know the translation for "hit the post". Merci...

Adding a few more...

Hors jeu = Offside
Dégagement refusé = Icing
Jeu de puissance = Powerplay
Désavantage numérique = Shorthanded
Arret de la mitaine = Glove save
Arret de la jambiere = Pad save
Punition/Pénalité = Penalty

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
considering the issues with the WJC team it will be interesting to see how the schedule goes with the tournament and how it is going to work with the OHL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
QMJHL play suspended from Dec. 1 through Jan. 3 due to Covid19 issues.

Considering the OHL isn't scheduled to start until Feb 4th, the QMJHL plans to resume their season well before the OHL intends to start.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Should be longer delay
I agree, let us try to get back to some semblance of normality and resume hockey only when Covid19 issues have become almost non-existent.

I know people do not like the idea of no hockey, but learn to live with it as it may happen this season. I know (Dr. Whomever) says this and that but 1 life saved or no long term complications from the pandemic are more important for these young people.

Why tempt fate?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree, let us try to get back to some semblance of normality and resume hockey only when Covid19 issues have become almost non-existent.

I know people do not like the idea of no hockey, but learn to live with it as it may happen this season. I know (Dr. Whomever) says this and that but 1 life saved or no long term complications from the pandemic are more important for these young people.

Why tempt fate?

I guess the question is whether we can walk and chew gum at the same time?

In other words, why is battling Covid exclusive to no hockey? Just because hockey doesn’t save lives shouldn’t preclude it from happening.

If the OHL can formulate a plan for return to play that is acceptable by the Ontario Government, who are we to demand it be shut down? The OHL should be afforded every reasonable opportunity to operate just as all other businesses have been given the same opportunity within the guidelines presented to them.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I guess the question is whether we can walk and chew gum at the same time?

In other words, why is battling Covid exclusive to no hockey? Just because hockey doesn’t save lives shouldn’t preclude it from happening.

If the OHL can formulate a plan for return to play that is acceptable by the Ontario Government, who are we to demand it be shut down? The OHL should be afforded every reasonable opportunity to operate just as all other businesses have been given the same opportunity within the guidelines presented to them.
I did not say that hockey will be cancelled for sure but it could very well happen.

Should the cases continue to rise in the GTA, Peel region, etc. I do not see the Ontario Government letting the games happen. Too bad many of the teams are in and around these current Red Zones.

I really do enjoy the OHL but I have my doubts about seeing hockey this season.

Just my opinion.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I did not say that hockey will be cancelled for sure but it could very well happen.

Should the cases continue to rise in the GTA, Peel region, etc. I do not see the Ontario Government letting the games happen. Too bad many of the teams are in and around these current Red Zones.

I really do enjoy the OHL but I have my doubts about seeing hockey this season.

Just my opinion.

That’s fair.

The reality is there is a public message and private message. IT really depends on which way the OHL Falls in the eyes of the Province.

The Public Message is we are in a bad situation. We really aren’t but the message is meant as a means of keeping people in line as much as possible to potentially prevent what would constitute a bad situation. The Private message is, “We want you to operate successfully. Provide us your SOP’s and we will provide additional feedback to help you get up and running safely.”

The Province has been working with many business groups in an effort to maintain as much business and economic growth as possible. IT just isn’t politicized because it can be misunderstood by those that hear things are really bad.

How this relates is very simple. EVERYONE that “matters” wants the OHL to operate in some meaningful manner. It just needs to be positioned in such a way that doesn’t upset the “things are bad message so we still have more work to do.”

All of this is happening behind closed doors. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. The reason why is the OHL can operate outside of the normal public, meaning they can somewhat isolate themselves to a much larger degree than other businesses.

Costco cannot open for business and not allow customers inside their doors. Why would they operate without customers? They make $$ selling products off shelves. Therefore, they are under different rules than Amazon that is set up to not come into contact with customers. The OHL can set up to not come into contact with customers if they so choose. It is not ideal but it is an option. As such, provided they can open the arena’s to play a game, they should be fine.

As of right now, I am not aware of any teams other than Mississauga that is in a Grey Zone with full lockdown restriction. Oshawa, Kitchener and Hamilton are in a red zone so stringent measures are applied. There are the three US based teams but that is another issue altogether. So, yes, there is some current disruption but but only the Grey Zone precludes a team from facility access.

Right now I see no reason why the OHL will not be able to operate starting Feb 4th. The WJHC will have been completed with hopefully no significant issues. The NHL operated in a bubble as well with relatively no issues. MLB operated with a few initial issues but they were ok to finish. Same with Basketball. NFL has had some issues but nothing strong enough to shut the league down. QMJHL has had issues but they’ve managed to play many games. 15 of 18 teams have played 10-16 games. 44 of those games have had 900+ attendance.

To be completely honest, I believe I have pointed out many more reasons for optimism as opposed to pessimism regarding the OHL operating this season.

I think they will find a way to play a meaningful schedule. There will be more optimism as they roll out vaccines. I think people’s general optimism will start to grow as we go through Feb-Mar. We’ll see infection rates reduce as we escape from April similar to what we saw last year (regardless of vaccine). By the time the playoffs roll around, we will probably start seeing a strong push for reasonable attendance.

I think we should look at all of this from an optimistic viewpoint. There is a lot to be excited about.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
That’s fair.

The reality is there is a public message and private message. IT really depends on which way the OHL Falls in the eyes of the Province.

The Public Message is we are in a bad situation. We really aren’t but the message is meant as a means of keeping people in line as much as possible to potentially prevent what would constitute a bad situation. The Private message is, “We want you to operate successfully. Provide us your SOP’s and we will provide additional feedback to help you get up and running safely.”

The Province has been working with many business groups in an effort to maintain as much business and economic growth as possible. IT just isn’t politicized because it can be misunderstood by those that hear things are really bad.

How this relates is very simple. EVERYONE that “matters” wants the OHL to operate in some meaningful manner. It just needs to be positioned in such a way that doesn’t upset the “things are bad message so we still have more work to do.”

All of this is happening behind closed doors. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. The reason why is the OHL can operate outside of the normal public, meaning they can somewhat isolate themselves to a much larger degree than other businesses.

Costco cannot open for business and not allow customers inside their doors. Why would they operate without customers? They make $$ selling products off shelves. Therefore, they are under different rules than Amazon that is set up to not come into contact with customers. The OHL can set up to not come into contact with customers if they so choose. It is not ideal but it is an option. As such, provided they can open the arena’s to play a game, they should be fine.

As of right now, I am not aware of any teams other than Mississauga that is in a Grey Zone with full lockdown restriction. Oshawa, Kitchener and Hamilton are in a red zone so stringent measures are applied. There are the three US based teams but that is another issue altogether. So, yes, there is some current disruption but but only the Grey Zone precludes a team from facility access.

Right now I see no reason why the OHL will not be able to operate starting Feb 4th. The WJHC will have been completed with hopefully no significant issues. The NHL operated in a bubble as well with relatively no issues. MLB operated with a few initial issues but they were ok to finish. Same with Basketball. NFL has had some issues but nothing strong enough to shut the league down. QMJHL has had issues but they’ve managed to play many games. 15 of 18 teams have played 10-16 games. 44 of those games have had 900+ attendance.

To be completely honest, I believe I have pointed out many more reasons for optimism as opposed to pessimism regarding the OHL operating this season.

I think they will find a way to play a meaningful schedule. There will be more optimism as they roll out vaccines. I think people’s general optimism will start to grow as we go through Feb-Mar. We’ll see infection rates reduce as we escape from April similar to what we saw last year (regardless of vaccine). By the time the playoffs roll around, we will probably start seeing a strong push for reasonable attendance.

I think we should look at all of this from an optimistic viewpoint. There is a lot to be excited about.

OMG Yes I agree that there is a reason for hope.
BUT here are some of the challenges;
a. Can a team shut down for 2 weeks in a shortened season if one of the players gets sick or tests positive.

b. where are the players going to stay can they billet the families and will the billets have to be tested regularly too

c. Like you said there are the 3 American teams and those in the west what do you do with them. There is absolutely no way for them to make any money and they have contracts with the arenas that they are at.

d. Can the OHL survive without government assistance. Let's face it if you give the OHL money no matter what the business community is going to claim foul because they're going bankrupt and the government is paying for them to play.

Vaccines are a mixed bag no one has a clue what they will do. Who can get them and what the cost is going to be per shot with the doctor.

The other issue is that from what I have heard they are more of a means in one case to resolve if you test positive.

Travel is a completely different issue as I do not see the OHL being able to go into a bubble and only play in a couple of arenas.

That being said everything could be a moot point depending on the WJC. If they have an issue during the series where just like the Cdn team camp a couple of players test positive and the team is quarantined that will kill the WJC and I think the CHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG Yes I agree that there is a reason for hope.
BUT here are some of the challenges;
a. Can a team shut down for 2 weeks in a shortened season if one of the players gets sick or tests positive.

b. where are the players going to stay can they billet the families and will the billets have to be tested regularly too

c. Like you said there are the 3 American teams and those in the west what do you do with them. There is absolutely no way for them to make any money and they have contracts with the arenas that they are at.

d. Can the OHL survive without government assistance. Let's face it if you give the OHL money no matter what the business community is going to claim foul because they're going bankrupt and the government is paying for them to play.

Vaccines are a mixed bag no one has a clue what they will do. Who can get them and what the cost is going to be per shot with the doctor.

The other issue is that from what I have heard they are more of a means in one case to resolve if you test positive.

Travel is a completely different issue as I do not see the OHL being able to go into a bubble and only play in a couple of arenas.

That being said everything could be a moot point depending on the WJC. If they have an issue during the series where just like the Cdn team camp a couple of players test positive and the team is quarantined that will kill the WJC and I think the CHL.

A - yes. QMJHL has done it successfully

B - who cares? There are many other options and I have listed them in the past.

C - who cares? Are you willing to penalize 17 teams for the sake of 3? They can move if they wish for a season. There is no shortage of arenas to play in. IF they choose to opt out for a season, that is no them. Besides, if they do allow fans in the stands at some point, do you honestly think people in Cornwall wouldn’t go to games? OR Belleville? I think their attendance would be just fine considering restrictions. People will want to go see games regardless.

D - I believe they will get Government assistance and many of them already have individually with programs already in place. Keep in mind, “some” businesses are struggling and others are not. If the Ontario Government is not going to allow fans, the OHL cannot do “take out.” Essentially they would be shutting them down. I think under those circumstances, there will be provisions that will allow the league to be subsidized in some reasonable manner.

By mid-May the case numbers will decrease like last year. The summer will operate similar to last year. The vaccine will give some “hope” regardless of whether it works effectively. Besides, it won’t work effectively until the healthy population (18-40) gets it anyway. They are the spreaders. It will take a while before they start vaccinating that group.

To me there is no reason why they could not do a few mini-tournaments in the first half of the season followed by a 7-10 day break. They can test all players prior to the tournament and bubble them for the duration. Short spurts would probably work just fine. With no fans, they can play 3 games per day in the same rink. Again, options for outside the box solutions.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not sure if it’s out there yet but Constantini is signing with HK 32 Liptovsky Mikulas in the Tipos Extraliga (Slovakia)

he’s going with Tullio and McShane (played minor midget with Tullio)

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just wanted to let everyone know that Mav passed away. Last week. He was definitely one of the good guys

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not sure if it’s out there yet but Constantini is signing with HK 32 Liptovsky Mikulas in the Tipos Extraliga (Slovakia)

he’s going with Tullio and McShane (played minor midget with Tullio)
Constantini had paperwork complications and has pulled out last minute apparently

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Very serious allegations being taken to court on abuse in the OHL and one of the people who went on regard was Doug Smith (2nd overall pick to the Kings) who played his 3 years under Brian Kilrea and basically described it as hell.

Dont get to know your heros apparently...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Very serious allegations being taken to court on abuse in the OHL and one of the people who went on regard was Doug Smith (2nd overall pick to the Kings) who played his 3 years under Brian Kilrea and basically described it as hell.

Dont get to know your heros apparently...

My personal opinion is things (culture) evolve over time. Comparing what was going on back in the early 80’s and trying to equate that to what goes on today isn’t really a fair comparison. That was 30+ years ago.

I am more interested in hearing what happens today. What happened in the early 80’s is irrelevant to any discussion regarding the current culture.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
LOL you have to remember that hockey n\back in Smiths timeframe almost all coaches barked at players. Punch Imlach, Eddie Shore, Toe Blake

They were all hell to play for and never let you forget a mistake. Players back then were tougher because that is what it took. No one held your hand.

Mav and Killer came from the Eddie Shore world.

Killer had and probably still has a belief that sometimes it was better to push players.

My question to Smith is simply How much of what you learnt under Killer got you to the Kings. Let's face it a lot of players came through the team and a great number went on to star in the NHL or other leagues.

Give credit where it is due some players come in knowing that they are all that. Sometimes a coach has to teach them that they are not all that and reminds them when the head gets too big.

BTW SMITH MUST HAVE REALLY HAD IT ROUGH played 1 year as a rookie and one year of his draft then called up to play with the Kings in the NHL. Not sure if he was around long enough to really know.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
LOL you have to remember that hockey n\back in Smiths timeframe almost all coaches barked at players. Punch Imlach, Eddie Shore, Toe Blake

They were all hell to play for and never let you forget a mistake. Players back then were tougher because that is what it took. No one held your hand.

Mav and Killer came from the Eddie Shore world.

Killer had and probably still has a belief that sometimes it was better to push players.

My question to Smith is simply How much of what you learnt under Killer got you to the Kings. Let's face it a lot of players came through the team and a great number went on to star in the NHL or other leagues.

Give credit where it is due some players come in knowing that they are all that. Sometimes a coach has to teach them that they are not all that and reminds them when the head gets too big.

BTW SMITH MUST HAVE REALLY HAD IT ROUGH played 1 year as a rookie and one year of his draft then called up to play with the Kings in the NHL. Not sure if he was around long enough to really know.

I didn't understand that reference as a dig directly on Kilrea. I think it was that hazing and such was a heavy compnent of the culture of hockey and guys like Killer turned a blind eye. I don't think Smith was making references to coaches yelling at him because he would have gotten that in the NHL too!

Reactions: EvenSteven

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

Yeah im going to guess having to jerkoff onto a piece of bread with other rookie and then whoever takes the longest isnt one of the main reasons he made it to the NHL... Was it the sticks with hot wax on it that they were being sodimized with that helped with his stride length?

What a stupid thing to say. Victim shaming like you are doing here is why people dont come forward. So reckless and dangerous. Be a lot better going forward

Reactions: EvenSteven and Otto

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I didn't understand that reference as a dig directly on Kilrea. I think it was that hazing and such was a heavy compnent of the culture of hockey and guys like Killer turned a blind eye. I don't think Smith was making references to coaches yelling at him because he would have gotten that in the NHL too!

He was the head coach and known as a guy who was extremely detail oriented and ran a team borederline military style where every single thing had his finger print on it. So you dont get to be like that then be like "ohhhh some of my players were being brutalized in the dressing room and on the bus (which i was also on? who knew!"

What a joke you guys are trying to defend him. Disgusting

Reactions: EvenSteven and Otto

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He was the head coach and known as a guy who was extremely detail oriented and ran a team borederline military style where every single thing had his finger print on it. So you dont get to be like that then be like "ohhhh some of my players were being brutalized in the dressing room and on the bus (which i was also on? who knew!"

What a joke you guys are trying to defend him. Disgusting

Scotty Bowman "had the personality of a s++t sandwich" was a relatively common scentiment regarding his approach to coaching.

Things have changed dramatically over the years from a perspective culture in hockey.

We can play revisionist history all you want. It doesn't change what is or os not happening today.

IMO, what happened in 1980 is not relevent to today. What happened in 1940 wasn't relevent to what happened in 1c80. What happened in 1640 isn't relevent either.

Society's and cultures evolve. We can all recall tails of misery from the past. What good does it do? I want to know what is happening NOW so we can deal with issues now.

If your goal is to come into the 67s thread and throw shade on a HOF inductee with a stellar reputation for things that happened in 1980, go ahead if it makes you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad