Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Do you think if the whole province is in lockdown but the OHL will get the okay to go ahead and play? Just because they are young does not mean they are invincible.

You have your opinion which you may think is the one and only, but I beg to differ and will leave it at that.

You would not think it is such an overkill when it affects your immediate family.

The cuurent situation is serious and not something to just brush off.

The data doesn’t lie. I am not making this stuff up. 70% of the deaths are of those over 70 years old and over 50% are in committed LTC facilities.

Think about that.

2% of the outbreaks in Ottawa are a result of restaurants and bars. 40% are in LTC facilities.

Maybe it is time to shut down LTC homes since they seem to be the biggest slaughter houses for the virus. That is, of course, if you use the logic currently being pushed by the Province... Shut down all causes of outbreaks.

This is a pure political decision. Nothing more, nothing less. The OHL operating, even if every player were to contract the Virus, would simply recover just as quickly as every other professional athlete across all sports have.

15 people in The Ottawa Hospital. 2 of those in ICU as of Tuesday. If we weren’t testing and no one had any idea of what is going on, no one would even flinch.

Excess deaths? Nope. We are seeing normal overall death rates. Those that are close to death already are dying. Some that aren’t close are as well but nowhere near the number required to spend hundreds of billions of dollars in canada. This Tye of expenditure and loss of GDP is unprecedented. And not by a small margin, by a huge margin. The Federal debt load will add 3-5 times the most ever added in a single year.

Covid death in BC are under 300. Drug Overdose deaths in the same time period are over 1200. We need some perspective. This has gotten so far out of hand it is destructive beyond belief.

I can understand the decisions made in the early stages when it looked like it was a mass extinction event. It never came close. Lockdowns have had relatively little effect because when you look at where the main outbreakS have occurred, less than 30% have come from public interaction in the economy.

It is time to start looking at the real numbers that have meaning. Once everyone understands the real numbers and stops listening to ONLY the experts on Government payrolls, we will all get a better picture of the real problem. When people say, “I am listening to the experts,” they really are only listening to the Government funded experts. There are loads of highly respected experts across the World all trying to get the message out and many others too afraid to speak out because the cancel culture surrounding the dissenting opinion.

Do some real research. We all need to do some real research and gain perspective. Our livelihood is at stake. This isn’t just about the OHL. IT is about our ability to live our lives. For some, sport is a part of that. The OHL is a part of that.

EDIT: REVISED STATISTIC

10,610 COVID deaths in Canada
71% of deaths are in the over 80 cohort

Government of Ontario pledged $17BIL relief package at the end of March
Only $243mil went to LTC facilities
Only a combined total $3.3BIL to Health care

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have to agree with analyser.

The province and the federal government can shut down anything.

As analyser said if they announce a lockdown that is it. Also if they decide to cancel all sporting events or gatherings of 40 -50 people that is it also.

An example is the Q the government shut them down.

The feds have already shut down the american teams coming to canada

They cannot shut down specific businesses. They can put in place regulations that prohibit the operation of certain types of businesses.

The concept of the Government “Shutting down the OHL” is not accurate.

The Government would have to put in mandates and restrictions that shut down all related activities AND only for a certain length of time. Just because those mandates and restrictions are in place doesn’t mean the OHL cannot have a season. IT would just mean they are unable to operate during that time period.

The OHL can choose to make any adjustments necessary to operate a hockey season. It is up to them to figure out a way and to determine whether the costs associated to doing so are viable.

For example, any lockdowns will end when the Coronavirus season is over at end of April, just like last year. If the OHL chooses to do so, they could do a summer season. IS it likely? No. But the Government wouldn’t prevent them from doing so.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Marco Rossi (C)ZSC Lions
10.png
NL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
The data doesn’t lie. I am not making this stuff up. 70% of the deaths are of those over 70 years old and over 50% are in committed LTC facilities.

Think about that.

2% of the outbreaks in Ottawa are a result of restaurants and bars. 40% are in LTC facilities.

Maybe it is time to shut down LTC homes since they seem to be the biggest slaughter houses for the virus. That is, of course, if you use the logic currently being pushed by the Province... Shut down all causes of outbreaks.

This is a pure political decision. Nothing more, nothing less. The OHL operating, even if every player were to contract the Virus, would simply recover just as quickly as every other professional athlete across all sports have.

15 people in The Ottawa Hospital. 2 of those in ICU as of Tuesday. If we weren’t testing and no one had any idea of what is going on, no one would even flinch.

Excess deaths? Nope. We are seeing normal overall death rates. Those that are close to death already are dying. Some that aren’t close are as well but nowhere near the number required to spend hundreds of billions of dollars in canada. This Tye of expenditure and loss of GDP is unprecedented. And not by a small margin, by a huge margin. The Federal debt load will add 3-5 times the most ever added in a single year.

Covid death in BC are under 300. Drug Overdose deaths in the same time period are over 1200. We need some perspective. This has gotten so far out of hand it is destructive beyond belief.

I can understand the decisions made in the early stages when it looked like it was a mass extinction event. It never came close. Lockdowns have had relatively little effect because when you look at where the main outbreakS have occurred, less than 30% have come from public interaction in the economy.

It is time to start looking at the real numbers that have meaning. Once everyone understands the real numbers and stops listening to ONLY the experts on Government payrolls, we will all get a better picture of the real problem. When people say, “I am listening to the experts,” they really are only listening to the Government funded experts. There are loads of highly respected experts across the World all trying to get the message out and many others too afraid to speak out because the cancel culture surrounding the dissenting opinion.

Do some real research. We all need to do some real research and gain perspective. Our livelihood is at stake. This isn’t just about the OHL. IT is about our ability to live our lives. For some, sport is a part of that. The OHL is a part of that.

EDIT: REVISED STATISTIC

10,610 COVID deaths in Canada
71% of deaths are in the over 80 cohort

Government of Ontario pledged $17 relief package at the end of March
Only $243mil went to LTC facilities
Only a combined total $3.3BIL to Health care
I believe the Government funded experts are in a much better position to decide on what is best for all of us. They have the training and expertise in the health care field which give them the tools to look at the overall picture and not just the stats we see. They can look into the factors related to this pandemic such as disease activators, illness duration, long term side affects, etc. . Some individuals have had problems for months after being infected.

I know we have to get back to living our lives but is a very fine line as to what is ths best approach. I know the country is in an economic shambles but should we just open everything back up and maybe let another 300,000 Canadians in Ontario become infected. Although it is younger people that recover almost 100% of the time the more infected people running around gives elderly people an increased chance of getting the virus. We should not look at it like your over 70 and have a good chance of passing on within a few years anyway. Prevention should be the goal for all people.

Unless the situation improves drastically I do not see an OHL season coming in the near future. This is just my opinion and people can agree or disagree as they wish.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I believe the Government funded experts are in a much better position to decide on what is best for all of us. They have the training and expertise in the health care field which give them the tools to look at the overall picture and not just the stats we see. They can look into the factors related to this pandemic such as disease activators, illness duration, long term side affects, etc. . Some individuals have had problems for months after being infected.

I know we have to get back to living our lives but is a very fine line as to what is ths best approach. I know the country is in an economic shambles but should we just open everything back up and maybe let another 300,000 Canadians in Ontario become infected. Although it is younger people that recover almost 100% of the time the more infected people running around gives elderly people an increased chance of getting the virus. We should not look at it like your over 70 and have a good chance of passing on within a few years anyway. Prevention should be the goal for all people.

Unless the situation improves drastically I do not see an OHL season coming in the near future. This is just my opinion and people can agree or disagree as they wish.
Good point. Government funded does not imply politically slanted. Many experts are apolitical having served administrations on both sides of the political aisle.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Well we just had at least one team shut down for the season

Michigan required a halt in in-person classes for high schools and colleges, and gatherings, including for Thanksgiving, are limited to people from just two households.

I do agree with OMG on one point. It is the old that are at risk the most.

While people get excited about the numbers of new cases and the media has a field day with that info it is not reporting the number of deaths from these new outbreaks.

Here in Thailand, we have a few outbreaks every day but there have been none requiring hospitalization or causing deaths.

The damage these lockdowns cause it the larger problem and the fact that people are not smart enough to play along with the rules until this gets under control.

You have no idea what it is like wearing a face mask in 90-degree weather. It is a huge pain. BUT it is the price we pay so that we can get back to our normal lives and have sports and go shopping and to the movies and such.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Look up Dr Sunetra Gupta from Oxford University. I think Dr Gupta’s credentials run circles around those we have advising our different levels of Government.

The proposal Dr Gupta is proposing is much more elegant that the “lock everything down” scenario.

Dr Gupta recommends concentrating most if not all efforts into protecting the vulnerable (if they want help). For that recommendation, based on her not following what the agenda has been accepted by those that are lessor than her, she has faced serious backlash. Dr Atlas in the United States has also faced serious backlash. Many Experts have faced the Cancel Culture currently prevalent in our Western Society right now. IT is no wonder why those that are funded by Government have all lined up saying the same thing. Ever wonder why the only ones to speak out differently are ones that are either retired or don’t rely on Government funding? Think about that. Regardless, the ones that do speak out do so with risk of reputation lost. From where I stand, those that speak out with something to lose are the ones you should seriously consider. Those that follow the herd? Not so much.

No matter how you look at it, the reality is the Government has only had two areas of complete control during this Pandemic. The first is health Care institutions (Hospitals and Clinics). The second are LTC facilities. Yet, if you look at the two largest outbreak zones, those two are the ones.

If the Government cannot, after 9 months, work out a way to control the two types of facilities/businesses they have complete control over that have consistently had the largest outbreak numbers and deaths by wide margins, why would we expect them to successfully control the private sector?

Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs (in Ottawa) contributed to 2% of the recorded outbreaks since August 1st. Yet, they take the heat? OR you having a family get together for Thanksgiving? Or handing out candy at Hallowe’en?

All this is now is “Hey, look at this shiny object over here!” “Don’t look over here where 50% of people dying are in LTC facilities.”

IF they are unable to get the LTC facilities into proper order, how on Earth do you expect them to mandate the operation of Private businesses and Private peoples homes successfully?

The Government is blaming businesses and private citizens for their failings and people are falling for it hook, line and sinker. It is absurd.

People not wearing masks and social distancing etc. Since when was the last time you went to a store and saw people not wearing a mask? I mean really? Besides, even the statistics based on outbreaks from retail stores are so ridiculously low anyway. Clearly that is not the problem.

In the end, only deaths and hospitalizations matter. People get sick all the time. They stay home for a few days or a week and let their body recuperate. Then they go back t their normal lives.

Earlier this week, and I can publish the current numbers tomorrow, The Ottawa Hospital (TOH), one of the largest hospitals in Canada, had 15 hospitalizations and 2 in ICU with Covid. The Montfort and Queensway-Carleton also have some but I don't have access to those numbers. Regardless, those two hospitals combined are less than half the size of TOH.

All this suggests that if the OHL wants to put on a season and can demonstrate the ability to segregate their participants from the rest of society in a real way, there is no MEDICAL reason for the Government to turn them down. The only reason is to continue this absurd charade of political control.

The irony of all of this is when asked, “Do you trust your Government to do what is right for its citizens more than do what is right for politicians themselves?”, the vast majority of people would side with politicians making decisions first to protect themselves, not the people. Or at least they would suggest Government is very incompetent. Yet, here we are with one of the most destructive mandates being pushed by the Government and people fall in line without question. It is absurd.

We face the real possibility there won’t be an OHL season because having an OHL season will cost lives. Cost lives. Listen to that for a second. The OHL SEASON WILL COST LIVES. If the OHL has a season, people will die as a result. When you boil it all down, that is the message. Again, totally absurd. If the OHL season operates and allows body checking, PEOPLE WILL DIE. That is the message coming from our Government. Yet, we sit here all in line, in lock step. Believing this lunacy.

Reactions: Whatanathol

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well we just had at least one team shut down for the season

Michigan required a halt in in-person classes for high schools and colleges, and gatherings, including for Thanksgiving, are limited to people from just two households.

I do agree with OMG on one point. It is the old that are at risk the most.

While people get excited about the numbers of new cases and the media has a field day with that info it is not reporting the number of deaths from these new outbreaks.

Here in Thailand, we have a few outbreaks every day but there have been none requiring hospitalization or causing deaths.

The damage these lockdowns cause it the larger problem and the fact that people are not smart enough to play along with the rules until this gets under control.

You have no idea what it is like wearing a face mask in 90-degree weather. It is a huge pain. BUT it is the price we pay so that we can get back to our normal lives and have sports and go shopping and to the movies and such.

Dude, we’ve had a mask mandate in public (indoors) since July.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Marco Rossi (C)ZSC Lions
10.png
NL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ZSC Lions shut down as Marco Rossi and 2 other players/ staff test positive for COVID19.

Eishockey-Talent Marco Rossi positiv auf Covid-19 getestet

According to the Swiss, the Vorarlberger loaned to Zurich by the NHL club Minnesota Wild is symptom-free.Austria's great ice hockey talent Marco Rossi has tested positive for Covid-19.

The man from Vorarlberg, who was drafted by the NHL club Minnesota Wild in October and signed a three-year contract there, is currently playing in the Swiss National League for the ZSC Lions in Zurich.

According to the broadcast, the 19-year-old center is now in home quarantine until November 23, he has been symptom-free, but currently has slight back pain.

ZSC Lions bis am 18. November in Quarantäne | ZSC Lions

The canton doctor has ordered quarantine for the entire team and staff with direct contact with the ZSC Lions up to and including Wednesday, November 18. This after three team / staff members had tested positive for Covid-19 in the past few days.

This means that the next two games against HC Lugano (Friday, November 13th) and Friborg-Gottéron (Saturday, November 14th) have to be postponed. The shift data will be communicated in due course.

"We are now trying to give the team good off-ice training," says sports director Sven Leuenberger. “We will deliver equipment to the players' homes. With the TeamBuildr app, which we successfully tried out during the lockdown in spring, and supervised coaching from a distance, we ensure targeted training. "

The athletic training plans are uploaded to said app. Every player has access to it and can view all content at any time. All exercises with the associated data (repetitions, sentences, etc.) are stored in the app - including an explanatory video. This means that strength and conditioning trainer Mattia Stendahl can bring the Lions training philosophy and the associated content to every player's home.

ZSC Lions can resume ice training on Thursday, November 19th.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
our mandate is anywhere in public indoors r out
lso unless the mandate is complied with it is useless.

The mandate has been complied with. I NEVER see anyone in an indoor public space without a face covering...ever.

As mentioned, based on contact tracing, restaurants, bars, clubs, athletic facilities and retail stores account for under 15% of outbreak spread in Ottawa since August 1st. Just under 40% in Long Term Care facilities and just under 20% in other health Centre institutions such as hospitals.

As of today, The Ottawa Hospital (TOH) has 13 hospitalizations of which two are in ICU. The overwhelming majority of those hospitalized remain the over 70 cohort coupled with significant comorbidities that struggle to battle respiratory illnesses.

If fully PPE geared up LTC workers cannot stop the spread in their own facilities, I don't see how further mandates will have any significant effect. The Government is picking on the population suggesting "we need to do better" yet the regular population accounts for less than 30% of the spread.

It is beyond irresponsible of the Government to continue focussing on the average person by restricting everything they do while CLEARLY not taking care of the facilities they have complete control over and have done so unsuccessfully since day one.

If we were to solve the issue with LTC and simply stopped testing altogether, we wouldn't notice a damned thing. Excess deaths would remain consistent with previous years.

It is time for the Government to stop focussing on whether bodychecking in a hockey game actually spreads the virus and start focussing on LTC facilities and other health institutions. That said, has anyone asked "Granny" in the LTC facility if they want to live their remaining years in issolation away from family and friends "for their own good?"

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Glad to hear Belanger is getting a chance to play some hockey in Finland. If the OHL doesn't go then he still has somewhere to play next year.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Dayton Giroux is palying for Klagenfurter AC he has played 4 games for their 2nd team and scored 4 goals, he has also played one game for the first team

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Comparing an adult, professional league to an amateur one for teenagers is comparing apples to oranges.

Considering one person under the age of 18 in Ontario has died from Covid, you would think the youth programs would be safe. However, the Minister of Sport suggests otherwise.

We can all consider the OHL as an "amateur" league but the reality is, in practice, it is a professional league. The players are compensated fairly well for their services.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This has nothing to do with the players. This has everything to do with the business of hockey.
The OHL has contracts with advertisers and tv. This is the bottom line. The contracts all deal with a certain number of fans in seats.

Reactions: Whatanathol

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The rules that apply to the general COVID thread also apply here. Unless your posts are directly related to the 67's/the OHL and how COVID affects them, don't talk about it here. There is a forum on hfboards for COVID if you really need to talk about it on this site.

COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Reactions: dirty12

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
Does the signing of an ETL contract have any bearing on the likelihood of Jack Quinn playing for the 67s this year?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
No. He's not close to NHL ready so he'll be back in the OHL this year
Depending on what the OHL does Quinn Byfield et al could end up with the AHL ECHL affiliates of the teams that drafted them. I am not sure how that would work with the contracts but if there is no OHL that would seem the way that all drafted players would go. That would mean that we would be saying goodby to Quinn, Clarke, Hoelscher, Andree, and possibly Cranley.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Depending on what the OHL does Quinn Byfield et al could end up with the AHL ECHL affiliates of the teams that drafted them. I am not sure how that would work with the contracts but if there is no OHL that would seem the way that all drafted players would go. That would mean that we would be saying goodby to Quinn, Clarke, Hoelscher, Andree, and possibly Cranley.

The whole Northern division of the ECHL has opted out of the season.

All leagues are up in the air. I wouldn’t bother speculating on anything at this point.

Quinn will be with the WJC team until he is released. If he makes the team, he will be with them until around Jan 10. Then he will join the 67’s for training camp about 2 weeks after that. That is assuming the OHL doesn’t work in another delay. All other Pro leagues should be operating before that.

I don’t see an opportunity for Quinn to go to Europe either since those leagues will be well advanced in their seasons.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yeah if there’s no OHL season then that could happen. But with an OHL season they would not be changing the AHL/ECHL rules

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Bonjour mes freres,
I'm watching Victoriaville and Shawinigan and my French is good enough to understand most of the play by play. But I was hoping that mes potes d'Ottawa could offer some assistance. Mise en echec? Remind me, is that a 'body check', 'hit'?
And if you're really bored, you could provide a glossary of some of the common hockey expressions. E. G. I don't know the translation for "hit the post". Merci...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad