Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The more I read on our two import picks the more I'm excited. They certainly on talent alone should have been picked much earlier. I know they haven't reported yet but it does speak to the turnaround of the organisation that they were able to get them with those picks. I'd be very surprised our first pick doesn't report barring covid. It's also my opinion they have a decent chance with the second pick or they would have gone another way. We might be better than I thought this year. If Hoelscher and the two imports show as OMG said we might be one D away from quite a good team....and two D's away from a contender.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The second-round pick is the one that intrigues me The scouting felt that he could have been higher but had injuries that held him back.

I think this is going to be a team that will be able to compete if all show for the league championship

The reason that I think we got these players again is the coaching staff record with Rossi and Ohkytuk.

The interesting question will be what kind of a deal do they have.

If our second-round pick plays well would he not be qualified to play in the AHL this year

As long as he does not sign with us he still would be qualified as he is a Euro with no Junior ties

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
If we get both Imports signed, it is VERY possible we will be very competitive. We’d need to add a veteran D-Man to eat Top two pair minutes but that player doesn’t need to be offensively dynamic, just solid defensively. Someone like Rippon.

Quinn-Hoelscher(OA)-Simontaival
Robinson-Tolnai-Clarke
Beck-Gaidamak-Varga
Johnston-Crete-Sirizzotti
Moldenhauer-Stonehouse

Rippon(OA)-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-Gill
Sirman-Mayich

Andree(OA)
Cranley

What do you think happens to LaForme?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I can't see us compete for any championship this upcoming season. I still have a lot of doubt if we would of won the championship this past season. The Pete's seemed to have our number and London had a pretty good team with Brochu really turning it up a notch in goal.

We had a lot of firepower and a pretty solid D last season, but this season we only have Quinn, Clarke and Hoelscher who are bonafide proven scorers. We can't expect 2 new Euros to come in and produce 80 to 90 points each. We have many unproven pieces contributing to the equation.

Our defence is young and will need one possibly two additions to make us a contender. Solid shutdown D men would really improve the situation and provide leadership for the young guys.

Goaltending, well I hope Andree moves on and they are able to sign Donoso. We need to develop a bonafide backup this season and not wait another year.

Boyd and company are doing a great job but realistically some things are very unlikely to happen this season. We would need a 100% of everything to fall into place which is highly unlikely. Should be a fun team to watch if we can sign the 2 Euros.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirius67fan

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Question
In normal years the NHL draft is held before the CHL Import draft, which would mean that Simontaival would have been selected by the NHL before the 67's selected him. This would affect his AHL eligibility. Now that the 67's have drafted him first , would this mean he would be NHL or OHL, with no eligibilty for the AHL or is this something that has been discussed due to the late NHL draft?

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
No, his rights are owned by tappara of the Finnish league. He’s being drafted out of that organization and will need to be loaned to the 67’s; not part of the CHL/NHL agreement.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Don't want to meddle with the draft, so not going to name names here, but from what I've heard from a WHL GM who was very interested in an 03 centre who's frequently brought up in relation to the import draft.... Ottawa is one of the teams that have long been interested as well and there's a very good chance they pick him with their first pick if no one else picks him up before. I know this isn't much, but it sounds like Boyd is thinking the same as you.
Now that the draft is done, just curious but was Gaidamack the name you had heard? If so thanks for the insight and you were bang on.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can't see us compete for any championship this upcoming season. I still have a lot of doubt if we would of won the championship this past season. The Pete's seemed to have our number and London had a pretty good team with Brochu really turning it up a notch in goal.

We had a lot of firepower and a pretty solid D last season, but this season we only have Quinn, Clarke and Hoelscher who are bonafide proven scorers. We can't expect 2 new Euros to come in and produce 80 to 90 points each. We have many unproven pieces contributing to the equation.

Our defence is young and will need one possibly two additions to make us a contender. Solid shutdown D men would really improve the situation and provide leadership for the young guys.

Goaltending, well I hope Andree moves on and they are able to sign Donoso. We need to develop a bonafide backup this season and not wait another year.

Boyd and company are doing a great job but realistically some things are very unlikely to happen this season. We would need a 100% of everything to fall into place which is highly unlikely. Should be a fun team to watch if we can sign the 2 Euros.

On paper, even if all players sign/report, I don’t see us as a contender either. Home ice in round one and making it through to at least the 2nd round? Probably.

The one thing I know is teams that build a positive culture and winning attitude go further than talented teams that sucked for years.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
On paper, even if all players sign/report, I don’t see us as a contender either. Home ice in round one and making it through to at least the 2nd round? Probably.

The one thing I know is teams that build a positive culture and winning attitude go further than talented teams that sucked for years.
I do agree with you and analizer that as of now we are not a contender primarily because our D is too young. However under the premise I suggested earlier do you think we would be if all the following happen
1-Hoelscher is back
2-Tolnai/Robinson take the next step
3-Sirizzotti gives us quality third line contribution like Quinn two years ago
4-Simontaival signs as I believe he is more likely to have an immediate impact on our top 6. Gaidamack appears very talented but he's only17 and I'd be happy if he becomes a quality third line center this year.
5- we acquire two experienced D (two 19 y.o. or one 19 and an OA if we trade Andree)

Just my opinion but I think although we might not be the favorites, we would be very dangerous with the coaching and culture we now have.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
No, his rights are owned by tappara of the Finnish league. He’s being drafted out of that organization and will need to be loaned to the 67’s; not part of the CHL/NHL agreement.

Puckstop how do you know his rights are owned by the Finnish team? I see an issue with him that will depend on who drafts him, when the OHL season starts and when the NHL season starts.

I am not doubting you but if you are right he is only a possible 3 month to 1 year player.

I am not seeing the virtue in drafting him.

Boyd must know something that he is not saying or he is fishing the same as OHL teams do with those that say they are going the University route.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I do agree with you and analizer that as of now we are not a contender primarily because our D is too young. However under the premise I suggested earlier do you think we would be if all the following happen
1-Hoelscher is back
2-Tolnai/Robinson take the next step
3-Sirizzotti gives us quality third line contribution like Quinn two years ago
4-Simontaival signs as I believe he is more likely to have an immediate impact on our top 6. Gaidamack appears very talented but he's only17 and I'd be happy if he becomes a quality third line center this year.
5- we acquire two experienced D (two 19 y.o. or one 19 and an OA if we trade Andree)

Just my opinion but I think although we might not be the favorites, we would be very dangerous with the coaching and culture we now have.

I like Cranley BUT Andree is more proven. IF we are chasing a championship, I’d keep the two of them if possible.

Our defence isn’t horrible by any means but one of the big success factors last year wa scoring from The blueline by Hoef. That extra weapon made a big difference. Acquiring a guy like that, OA or not, is always super tough.

We should be ok on the defensive side of the blueline. I question the offensive push. Belanger and Sawyer can contribute. Rippon will probably come in around 40 points this year. MAtier will chip in some points. That said, no one will lead them froma he back end offensively, I don’t believe.

I think there will be teams way more hungry than the 67’s management. Like you and many others have said, we need to build around the group of ‘04s

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good article. Is it just me but both his tape and the narrative look and sound like Quinn. Question is can he make a jump like Quinn in his 18 y.o. year? Wow it would be fun to have those two on the team next year. PP would be dangerous.

I think it sounds a little like Quinn but maybe also a little like Clarke as a 17 year old when you consider the risk taking and average acceleration.

Regardless, he would probably fit in really well with someone like Tolnai because Cam would be more defensive minded. Hoelscher would be a good option as his centre as well BUT with Quinn not he other wing, it may be a little bit of overkill on one line.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Puckstop how do you know his rights are owned by the Finnish team? I see an issue with him that will depend on who drafts him, when the OHL season starts and when the NHL season starts.

I am not doubting you but if you are right he is only a possible 3 month to 1 year player.

I am not seeing the virtue in drafting him.

Boyd must know something that he is not saying or he is fishing the same as OHL teams do with those that say they are going the University route.
It’s not fishing, Tappara is a pro team, if he isn’t good enough for that team they will loan him out. elite prospects are pretty reliable for this stuff, they miss a player every now and then but I’ve never seen a case where they listed a player that wasn’t. Ottawa will be looking to make a deal that has him loaned to them.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It’s not fishing, Tappara is a pro team, if he isn’t good enough for that team they will loan him out. elite prospects are pretty reliable for this stuff, they miss a player every now and then but I’ve never seen a case where they listed a player that wasn’t. Ottawa will be looking to make a deal that has him loaned to them.

Yes. This is going to be up to the Ottawa 67’s to pony up cash for him to be loaned to the 67’s.

I am not sure what the rules are for this transaction but I think the team are allowed to pay for rights etc. IF anyone knows exactly, it would be good to clarify.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I still think the big question with him is going to be who drafts him and what they want to do with him. Because he is Euro unless I have misread things he is eligible to play in the AHL. This comes back to the question of what do players that have been drafted like Rossi and all the Euro players do this season. If the OHL or Euro leagues start before the NHL do they play in those leagues until training camp and then report to the training camp to see where they fit in with the NHL club or in the case of the Euros the AHL. OR do they report to the AHL club training camp and get signed to an AHL or 2 way contract.

So many unknowns that are happening it is hard to say If I was Boyd I would not be laying out any money until things clear up.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I still think the big question with him is going to be who drafts him and what they want to do with him. Because he is Euro unless I have misread things he is eligible to play in the AHL. This comes back to the question of what do players that have been drafted like Rossi and all the Euro players do this season. If the OHL or Euro leagues start before the NHL do they play in those leagues until training camp and then report to the training camp to see where they fit in with the NHL club or in the case of the Euros the AHL. OR do they report to the AHL club training camp and get signed to an AHL or 2 way contract.

So many unknowns that are happening it is hard to say If I was Boyd I would not be laying out any money until things clear up.

It is extremely rare for Imports to play AHL at 18.

If he is a ate 2nd/early 3rd round pick, he will need to play at the best level of competition possible to develop. In many cases, the heavy OHL schedule with games being played on a North American ice surface is more adequate for this type of player. It would make for an easier transition. Alternatively, the player could continue in Finland at the pro level next season and then make the jump to the AHL or to the KHL where the level of competition is probably slightly higher than the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad