Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I noticed you did not include Daylon Groulx in your projection. I think Boyd will have to try and recoup some of the 3 draft picks sent over to Owen Sound if Groulx is not in the plans. I personally do not care if he is on the move. Only real positive he could provide is a little muscle.

In addition, I hope a deal can be made to ship Andree out. It is Cranley's turn and let's groom Donoso as our backup.

Groulx would be an OA. Don’t expect anything significant in any trade. I think they’d be more looking for a viable place for him to land more so than trying to get any sort of return. If we got a 5th, I’d be very happy.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The question is what is Andree's worth going to be. I can see him being traded early in the season possibly after the training camp when teams like Oshawa that are going for it decide what they have and need Although I can not see it happening a teamlike Kingston might also test the Andree waters as they are going to be in need of someone to support a weak defence and young team.

Again I do not see it happening BUT one never knows.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The question is what is Andree's worth going to be. I can see him being traded early in the season possibly after the training camp when teams like Oshawa that are going for it decide what they have and need Although I can not see it happening a teamlike Kingston might also test the Andree waters as they are going to be in need of someone to support a weak defence and young team.

Again I do not see it happening BUT one never knows.

I don’t think any teams will be making significant acquisitions until they are close to 100% confident there will be a resolution to the season.

Once we have a sense of the structure and new deadlines etc, we should have a better understanding of how the season plays out.

We are assuming Oshawa will make a run as they are the odds on favourite to host the Memorial Cup. However, if the CHL wants a “safe” location for the Memorial Cup, I’d suggest SSM may be a more logical choice. If that turns out to be true, how does that affect Oshawa’s path and commitment?

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
they paid big time for Tomasino and with 6-01's and 6-02's returning, this is the season for them if they host the Memorial Cup or not. Andree would be an upgrade in net for Oshawa or the Soo, both teams seem to be committed to ice a competitive team next year. I'd also watch for a team like Hamilton who has 16-01/02 players returning this year, OA space available but are missing a starting goalie. Ham is also loaded with 3rd round picks which is an area Ottawa is depleted in.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I don’t think any teams will be making significant acquisitions until they are close to 100% confident there will be a resolution to the season.

Once we have a sense of the structure and new deadlines etc, we should have a better understanding of how the season plays out.

We are assuming Oshawa will make a run as they are the odds on favourite to host the Memorial Cup. However, if the CHL wants a “safe” location for the Memorial Cup, I’d suggest SSM may be a more logical choice. If that turns out to be true, how does that affect Oshawa’s path and commitment?
It wouldn’t change it at all. They’d be going all in. The only thing that would change it is if Tomasino makes the nhl all year and the Gens didn’t get the bid. But I think that’s unlikely.

But having said that I don’t think Andree is a fit in Oshawa unless Kooy really struggles to start the year.

Ps, what do you mean by SSM being a more safe location? Both Oshawa and the Soo have very low numbers. Durham Region has 53 active cases (population of 645,862) and Oshawa only has 10 active cases (population of 170,000). That’s 0.005% of Oshawa

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Probably over all population density and proximity to the stinkin' GTA! ;)

If the OHL is re-starting next year it means none of the cities are seen as a threat. But even having said that, I don’t think Oshawa’s 10 active cases for a population of 170,000+ would be seen as a negative. Also a tournament like the Mem Cup brings in so many outside people that I think you’d have a similar risk anywhere because a lot of the people attending aren’t from that city anyways.

And let’s not forget it’s Branch who makes the decision lol. We all know what makes him tick $$$$

Reactions: HockeyPops

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Having some fun with my location being the punchline. Who knows what will happen by then, or where we will be.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Durham region has definitely gotten things under control. I'm sure they were more worried about it earlier in the pandemic than they are now.

One of the metrics that is tracked by region is cases per 100,000. Durham has had 234.7 which is just above the Ontario average of 227.7. To compare, Algoma Public Health (which includes Sault Ste. Marie) has had less than 1/10th as many (21 cases per 100,000). As long as Durham continues to keep the numbers down, I doubt the selection committee would see those early cases as a negative for Oshawa.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Durham region has definitely gotten things under control. I'm sure they were more worried about it earlier in the pandemic than they are now.

One of the metrics that is tracked by region is cases per 100,000. Durham has had 234.7 which is just above the Ontario average of 227.7. To compare, Algoma Public Health (which includes Sault Ste. Marie) has had less than 1/10th as many (21 cases per 100,000). As long as Durham continues to keep the numbers down, I doubt the selection committee would see those early cases as a negative for Oshawa.

yeah at the beginning it was a lot more of an issue. Without having the Data in front of me I’d assume that would usually be the case where more populated regions would have much higher numbers earlier on than smaller cities/regions like Soo because of sheer volume. But yeah, that’s not an issue anymore and the Gens/Hounds haven’t even presented their bids yet so I don’t see that being a factor as the committee hasn’t even started to compare the 2 cities yet

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
they paid big time for Tomasino and with 6-01's and 6-02's returning, this is the season for them if they host the Memorial Cup or not. Andree would be an upgrade in net for Oshawa or the Soo, both teams seem to be committed to ice a competitive team next year. I'd also watch for a team like Hamilton who has 16-01/02 players returning this year, OA space available but are missing a starting goalie. Ham is also loaded with 3rd round picks which is an area Ottawa is depleted in.

The reality is no team is going to make a big acquisition splash without either significant conditions or a relative guarantee the season will be completed. You will not see another “Tomasino” type deal this year unless they are certain of a completion to the season.

Until that time, trade values for sellers will be limited to high levels of conditionals based on a completion of the season.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
yeah at the beginning it was a lot more of an issue. Without having the Data in front of me I’d assume that would usually be the case where more populated regions would have much higher numbers earlier on than smaller cities/regions like Soo because of sheer volume. But yeah, that’s not an issue anymore and the Gens/Hounds haven’t even presented their bids yet so I don’t see that being a factor as the committee hasn’t even started to compare the 2 cities yet

This is a highly politically charged issue. Don’t underestimate the power of perception. If the CHL truly thinks Covid could potentially be an issue and want to hedge against the possibility of An outbreak being somewhat active next May/June, it is much more likely SSM being more isolated would be a safer location.

This isn’t going to be about what is happening now. If it is about that and there is concern in Durham Region, the season won’t even start!

The question is about risk mitigation. If both bids are somewhat similar and they feel SSM is potentially safer, you can best bet that will be a discussion point, like it or not.

At this point, even suggesting Covid is NOT a discussion point in almost every major decision being made Globally is probably not very accurate. It will be evaluated and debated amongst the Committee.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
This is a highly politically charged issue. Don’t underestimate the power of perception. If the CHL truly thinks Covid could potentially be an issue and want to hedge against the possibility of An outbreak being somewhat active next May/June, it is much more likely SSM being more isolated would be a safer location.

This isn’t going to be about what is happening now. If it is about that and there is concern in Durham Region, the season won’t even start!

The question is about risk mitigation. If both bids are somewhat similar and they feel SSM is potentially safer, you can best bet that will be a discussion point, like it or not.

At this point, even suggesting Covid is NOT a discussion point in almost every major decision being made Globally is probably not very accurate. It will be evaluated and debated amongst the Committee.

We tried to discuss this in the Greyhounds thread a while ago, and most fans were extremely, extremely adamant that Covid would play zero role in the decision making process. I continue to think that it will be a major point of discussion, especially when you have such a sharp contrast. Durham region has been one of the worst areas in the nation, while Algoma has been the best in this province by pretty wide margins.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

I was speaking more under the assumption that if covid was not much of a threat anymore come the season starting because if it still is then I don’t think the season will happen and then the bids don’t matter because there will be no memorial cup to host

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was speaking more under the assumption that if covid was not much of a threat anymore come the season starting because if it still is then I don’t think the season will happen and then the bids don’t matter because there will be no memorial cup to host

I understand your logic 100%. Unfortunately, right now the province is starting to be in a great position and yet there is still tons of trepidation surrounding this Virus and its “2nd wave.”

We won’t know whether there will be a wave or a ripple or absolutely nothing. The reality is, we have to believe the decision on the 2021 Host City will be complete and announced well prior to knowing whether we are in any trouble to complete the season and hold this tournament. The likelihood of this award utilizing certain “projections and forecasts” is probably pretty good.

If I were on the presentation committee for the Greyhounds, you know 100% I would be trying to highlight this issue.

Whether the committee puts any weight on this as a risk, who knows but you have to think, considering its prominence in the news and this being the primary concern for there even being a season, I think it would be short sighted for us to not try to factor that in somehow.

Don’t get me wrong. I am 100% behind Oshawa regardless of the Virus but I don’t think it will be that easy to escape it.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
We tried to discuss this in the Greyhounds thread a while ago, and most fans were extremely, extremely adamant that Covid would play zero role in the decision making process. I continue to think that it will be a major point of discussion, especially when you have such a sharp contrast. Durham region has been one of the worst areas in the nation, while Algoma has been the best in this province by pretty wide margins.

Unless one part of the country has a major outbreak again (in which case there will be no season) I can't see it playing much of a factor. There are teams coming from all over the country to either OSH or SSM so even if either place had 0 cases ever, it doesn't mean much because you're adding in a bunch of variables not from that area. And that's not even including media/fans/TV crews etc.

Durham is down to 53 active cases today for a population of 645,862 which is 0.0082% of the population, and 11 of those 53 cases are from one retirement home in Pickering. If that is "one of the worst areas in the nation" then covid wouldn't be a thing anymore lol.

But anyways, sorry 67 fans you can have your thread back lol. I think Soo and Hamilton are the 2 teams who make sense as teams who should be after Andree because both their goaltending is basically non-existent

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Unless one part of the country has a major outbreak again (in which case there will be no season) I can't see it playing much of a factor. There are teams coming from all over the country to either OSH or SSM so even if either place had 0 cases ever, it doesn't mean much because you're adding in a bunch of variables not from that area. And that's not even including media/fans/TV crews etc.

Durham is down to 53 active cases today for a population of 645,862 which is 0.0082% of the population, and 11 of those 53 cases are from one retirement home in Pickering. If that is "one of the worst areas in the nation" then covid wouldn't be a thing anymore lol.

But anyways, sorry 67 fans you can have your thread back lol. I think Soo and Hamilton are the 2 teams who make sense as teams who should be after Andree because both their goaltending is basically non-existent

You are welcome here anytime!

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Brady Stonehouse and Nicholas Moldenhauer were named to Canada's (virtual) U17 development camp today. Charlie McTavish one of the goalie consultants.

The tournament is set to be hosted in PEI, Oct. 31st - Nov. 7th. Pretty fortunate host choice, given the circumstances.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
CHL posted import draft order. If I counted right with the teams passing we are picking 49th and 66th. Better than the original 57 and 114th I guess.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Are teams no able to trade their import draft pick?
No. They also cannot trade the rights to import players unless the player has reported to the team that drafted him. That's why you get scenarios like last season with Martin Hugo Has, who was picked by North Bay but didn't want to report. He got North Bay to trade him to Guelph, but needed to play one game for North Bay first so they would be allowed to trade him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Covid 19 should have minimal effect on the M Cup. The reason is this> There are 2 phases to a pandemic. The first phase is what you are dealing with. The second phase is usually 6 months after the original phase. That would put it in approximately October. That gives the CHL a lot of time to deal with it although it will definitely screw the season and cause a shortened Jr A season. That being said the CHL could do as the NHL did and just extend the season all these teams have ice facilities that can go year-round.

As to Oshawabeing in the GTA area that is not a player in the discussions because the NHL has stated that Toronto was on the list for the NHL reboot.

What is going to be the criteria is practice facilities, dressing rooms for each team, and separate facilities to handle laundry, hotels that can be set aside for the teams, and only used by teams and team staff.
Separate hotels that can be used for fans traveling in and being designated as the only hotels to use.

The one surprise could be that they wave the home team having a guaranteed berth in the playoffs. That would allow places like Kingston that have the facilities and the ability to lock down hotels that are close to the arena. Kingston also has an airport that teams can fly into and be shuttled straight to the hotels with ease. The only thing they do not have is a team that could play.

Jason Rossiter

Aug 27, 2018
No. They also cannot trade the rights to import players unless the player has reported to the team that drafted him. That's why you get scenarios like last season with Martin Hugo Has, who was picked by North Bay but didn't want to report. He got North Bay to trade him to Guelph, but needed to play one game for North Bay first so they would be allowed to trade him.

But what about trading the draft pick pre-draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad