Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I have a feelin
It is extremely rare for Imports to play AHL at 18.

If he is a ate 2nd/early 3rd round pick, he will need to play at the best level of competition possible to develop. In many cases, the heavy OHL schedule with games being played on a North American ice surface is more adequate for this type of player. It would make for an easier transition. Alternatively, the player could continue in Finland at the pro level next season and then make the jump to the AHL or to the KHL where the level of competition is probably slightly higher than the AHL.

I have a feeling that we can consider him as not likely to play for us. Not quite the same as Rossi but just a level below.

How many Euro can you start the season with

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have a feelin

I have a feeling that we can consider him as not likely to play for us. Not quite the same as Rossi but just a level below.

How many Euro can you start the season with

TWO. I am not sure when we have to have the Protected list down to two though.

This isn’t a question of whether he plays in the OHL or AHL/NHL. The Finn will play in the Finn league or the OHL. HE won’t be playing minor leagues in North America. Once he is drafted, the NHL club that drafts him will likely recommend a landing spot for him. That may be in Canada, or it may remain to be in Finland. The player will ultimately choose.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

If the AHL starts their season before the NHL would players that are eligible to play in the AHL (insert Euro here) not be invited to the AHL camps to see if they have the stuff to make it at that level. NHL teams are probably not going to be able to hold rookie camps this year. So looking at the Euro players that are drafted in the first round they would have a chance to play AHL would they not if they can make the team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

If the AHL starts their season before the NHL would players that are eligible to play in the AHL (insert Euro here) not be invited to the AHL camps to see if they have the stuff to make it at that level. NHL teams are probably not going to be able to hold rookie camps this year. So looking at the Euro players that are drafted in the first round they would have a chance to play AHL would they not if they can make the team.

I will say it like this.....

With respect to your timeline. Yes. Very probable, provided they are eligible and have proper permission based on regulations.

With respect to the Finn? He isn't good enough to play pro hockey in the AHL or NHL. He will either develop in Finland or OHL.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hoelscher, Quinn, Clarke, Varga, Tolnai, Robinson, Crete, Bech, Johnston, Sirizzotti, Laforme, Vsevolod, Moldenhauer, Stonehouse. That's 14 not counting Simontaival who may show up and an unexpected american report or surprise in training camp. Too many bodies imo. I suspect a few may be moved.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Hoelscher, Quinn, Clarke, Varga, Tolnai, Robinson, Crete, Bech, Johnston, Sirizzotti, Laforme, Vsevolod, Moldenhauer, Stonehouse. That's 14 not counting Simontaival who may show up and an unexpected american report or surprise in training camp. Too many bodies imo. I suspect a few may be moved.
Not to correct you, but just so people know Vsevolod is actually Gaidamak our 1st import pick. I agree, some bodies are going to have to be moved and definitely if Simontaival reports.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Not to correct you, but just so people know Vsevolod is actually Gaidamak our 1st import pick. I agree, some bodies are going to have to be moved and definitely if Simontaival reports.
Thanks, actually thought Gaidamak was his first name, to paraphrase Boney M....ah those russians.:laugh:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm not too sure we need to worry about that. It is normal to start the season with 3 extra bodies.
As far as I am aware, Laform hasn't signed either. Hoelscher isn't a lock, although it does look likely he returns.

With Hockey Canada looking like a January start, they'll keep the extra players even if just for practise. Not a big deal. They'll figure it out going into whatever the deadline ends up being.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019

did I miss the moldehauer and stonehouse signings?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

In a normal year sure, but it would not be surprising if teams carry larger rosters this year, in part because players could have to sit out due to positive test results at a moment's notice.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
In a normal year sure, but it would not be surprising if teams carry larger rosters this year, in part because players could have to sit out due to positive test results at a moment's notice.
Good point, didn't consider that. Still though I doubt they actually keep more than 13 forwards as then players get unhappy and its been the m.o. under Boyd/Tourigny to go with 23 forwards/7D and let the others get quality ic in minors i.e. Quinn, Sirizzotti, Belanger, Gill. I suspect you are right though that more players will be signed for potential call ups and I wonder if the O might alter the rules on cards for this year?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
did I miss the moldehauer and stonehouse signings?
I don't believe any signings have been announced by Ottawa from either the draft, import draft or recent acquisition Laforme. Gaidamack has apparently been signed as per his agent I think but no official word from 67's. It is a bit odd they haven't announced any yet and now it will probably be in august as league is in hiatus.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I'm not too sure we need to worry about that. It is normal to start the season with 3 extra bodies.
As far as I am aware, Laform hasn't signed either. Hoelscher isn't a lock, although it does look likely he returns.

With Hockey Canada looking like a January start, they'll keep the extra players even if just for practise. Not a big deal. They'll figure it out going into whatever the deadline ends up being.
At this point I fully expect Hoelscher back. I would be very surprised Laforme is not signed as they gave up a relatively high pick for him, so there must have been some assurances. Where did you see that hockey canada was looking at a January start? Does this bind the CHL to follow suit?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I don't believe any signings have been announced by Ottawa from either the draft, import draft or recent acquisition Laforme. Gaidamack has apparently been signed as per his agent I think but no official word from 67's. It is a bit odd they haven't announced any yet and now it will probably be in august as league is in hiatus.
Just noticed that Gaidamak is listed as being with the 67s in 20/21 season. This is under Elite Prospects.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think a training camp could be interesting. One thing to keep in mind is that we will have at least 2 players go to NHL training camps whenever they are. Then we could lose 3 to the WJC if it is still held. Add to that as OMG and I have discussed the unknown on the Finn and where he will play before and after the NHL camp and that is a lot of unknown I would expect that you will see a lot of the fourth line shuffling in the early part of the year at least until the status of the Finn is confirmed. He has too many options available to him to possibly play at so is not a lock to play for us.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
At this point I fully expect Hoelscher back. I would be very surprised Laforme is not signed as they gave up a relatively high pick for him, so there must have been some assurances. Where did you see that hockey canada was looking at a January start? Does this bind the CHL to follow suit?

I can’t remember where I read it and whether it was “confirmed” or not. I also heard it from a friend of mine that coaches at the JrA level.

The CHL is not bound by anything Hockey Canada does. However, it may be a good guideline to use.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I can’t remember where I read it and whether it was “confirmed” or not. I also heard it from a friend of mine that coaches at the JrA level.

The CHL is not bound by anything Hockey Canada does. However, it may be a good guideline to use.

@BadgerBruce has made a few posts in the history boards as he has extensive knowledge of Hockey Canada's history. If I remember, when the OHA became the OHL was the time when they split. So the CHL has no obligation to anything Hockey Canada mandates.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

Apparently LaForme signed 4 days ago

Maybe OTT is one of the teams who fired their social media person over covid?

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
@BadgerBruce has made a few posts in the history boards as he has extensive knowledge of Hockey Canada's history. If I remember, when the OHA became the OHL was the time when they split. So the CHL has no obligation to anything Hockey Canada mandates.

You are correct. The CHL is a “member partner” in Hockey Canada, which is a nice way of saying they have a mutually beneficial business relationship but that’s it. The OHF has no governing body control either. I can explain the history if people want that, but my assumption is that the bottom line answer is enough for most posters here.

In terms of re-starting hockey, I can’t speak to the structure in Pennsylvania or Michigan. But in Ontario, the provincial Emergency Order draws directly upon the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries’ pre-existing list of Multi-Sport Organizations (eg, OUA University sports), Provincial Sport Organizations (eg, Ontario Hockey Federation), and Professional Organizations and Clubs (eg, NHL and Ottawa Senators). The OHL and its member clubs fall into this last category, which means they have the authority to work with various provincial and municipal entities as Masters of Their Own Hockey House.
As an aside, the non major junior leagues (Tier II, Jr. B, etc.) do not enjoy this status to restart hockey.

I’ve been on several OHF virtual meetings and all I can tell you right now is that Hockey Canada expects the game to resume in different forms in different places, and each of the provincial members has the authority to make decisions that meet their local needs. The expectation is that the upcoming season will begin in an alternative format — 4 on 4 or even 3 on 3 in some places — with much smaller rosters than usual to maintain social distancing. In all likelihood, representative-level hockey will be on hold until at least the new year largely because of the desire to limit travel for players, their families, and team staff.

The wild card in all this is the Ontario Recreation Facilities Association. Minor hockey and the OHL need to deal directly with them, and they did NOT take kindly to Hockey Canada’s early June announcement that “Hockey is Back.”

Ontario Recreation Facilities Association Inc. - Return to Play doesn't mean facility is open

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
With Laforme we go from a lack of centers to a glut. Will be interesting to see what happens if Hoelscher comes back

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Rossi was rumoured to still be protected by the 67s.

Because he was projected as a guaranteed first round pick, the 67’s were granted the opportunity to protect Rossi AND make both picks in the Import draft.

With respect to Rossi not playing in Switzerland until post NHL draft, we will see when they do the draft AND when the OHL season starts.

The play in round for the NHL playoffs starts August 2nd. Let’s say an average of under 2 weeks per round, that makes it a nine week playoff. The NHL playoff should be over the first weekend of October. The draft will probably happen right after the end of the playoffs.

It doesn’t male sense for Rossi to play a week or two in Europe prior to the NHL draft because he’ll leave and come to North America for any sort of training camp which will take place in mid-October...give or take.

Same goes for the 67’s. Assuming the leagues in Europe operate, if Rossi doesn’t make his NHL team, he will go back to Europe for the season.

The only way Rossi plays for the 67’s is if he doesn’t make his NHL team and the leagues in Europe scrap their seasons.

One caveat in all this is Simontaival signing with the ‘Poles. If he signs with the ‘Poles, I’d assume the 67’s would need to at least trade Rossi’s rights or release him. That said, I am pretty sure the 67’s are allowed to release one of the other two Imports should Rossi be sent back to Ottawa.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
The play in round for the NHL playoffs starts August 2nd. Let’s say an average of under 2 weeks per round, that makes it a nine week playoff. The NHL playoff should be over the first weekend of October. The draft will probably happen right after the end of the playoffs.

The NHL has already announced its tentative date for the draft. October 9th, we learn who picks Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad