Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG I think the NHL could take after the OHL and have the draft during the playoffs. After the final teams for hte playoffs are set then it would be just as easy to have the draft with the final standings. If as you say the NHL finishes in October then the new season would not start until the new year as players are going to want their break. That would mean training camps in December.

There are so many moving parts to the season that until we actually get to training camp and see who shows up and who doesn't we will not really know. The NHL draft will also give us an idea of what is happening personally I do not see Rossi in an NHL uniform next season I think that only the top Euro and Lafreniere will be on NHL teams next year and that may change depending on who drafts him and if they want to pay his contract for a short season.

What stage of the recovery are you guys in right now.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG I think the NHL could take after the OHL and have the draft during the playoffs. After the final teams for hte playoffs are set then it would be just as easy to have the draft with the final standings. If as you say the NHL finishes in October then the new season would not start until the new year as players are going to want their break. That would mean training camps in December.

There are so many moving parts to the season that until we actually get to training camp and see who shows up and who doesn't we will not really know. The NHL draft will also give us an idea of what is happening personally I do not see Rossi in an NHL uniform next season I think that only the top Euro and Lafreniere will be on NHL teams next year and that may change depending on who drafts him and if they want to pay his contract for a short season.

What stage of the recovery are you guys in right now.

The reason why that was rejected was teams would be unable to transfer players during the draft or leading up to it. IF they do the draft prior to the completion of the playoffs, teams would not be able to transfer players.

With all the uncertainty regarding Salary caps etc, the teams felt they needed an opportunity to be able to move bodies in and out to satisfy potential salary cap implications.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The reason why that was rejected was teams would be unable to transfer players during the draft or leading up to it. IF they do the draft prior to the completion of the playoffs, teams would not be able to transfer players.

With all the uncertainty regarding Salary caps etc, the teams felt they needed an opportunity to be able to move bodies in and out to satisfy potential salary cap implications.

Forgot about the cap and trades. Yeah that will stop everything. I take it free agency will start the week after the draft them and teams will have a couple of weeks to sign them before camp restarts. Probably looking at a 40-540 game season next year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Quinn-Hoelscher(OA)-Sirizzotti
Beck-Tolnai-Clarke
Robinson-Gaidamak-Varga
Johnston-Laforme-Moldenhauer
-Stonehouse Crete Simontaival

Rippon(OA)-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-Gill
Sirman-Mayich

Andree(OA)
Cranley

I have Simontaival as an extra because I am not convinced that he will be here. The issue I have is at center and I have to think that some of our centers are going to be moved to the wing.

Andree will be traded and that should either bring a good second round player and a few draft picks so I am not sure what that will bring.

OH Yeah on the off chance that Rossi does come back.

Beck-Rossi -Clarke
Tolnai-Hoelscher(OA)-Quinn
Varga-Gaidamak-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Laforme-Moldenhauer
Robinson - Crete Stonehouse

Either Stonehouse or Moldenhauer sent back to Junior B for start of season at lesat until the WJC or Rossi and his NHL team decide whedre they want him to play.

Simontaival - rights traded

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Can't trade rights to new import if the other two report. Otherwise Koly doesn't get waived en route to Flint. The only exception is if it happens at the trade deadline you can (Martin Hugo Has).

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Can't trade rights to new import if the other two report. Otherwise Koly doesn't get waived en route to Flint. The only exception is if it happens at the trade deadline you can (Martin Hugo Has).

If we release him can he be signed by another OHL team? If so then he can be traded it just takes a little more creativity. :popcorn::sarcasm:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If we release him can he be signed by another OHL team? If so then he can be traded it just takes a little more creativity. :popcorn::sarcasm:
Correct. This is precisely what happened with Koly to Flint. A la Lucas Rowe. However, that deal was consummated because Flint wanted Koly instead of Guskov. If you are about to waive Simontaival, you don't have many options other than trade Rossi, or "trade" Gaidamak.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
The CCHL announced it plans to start its season October 1st. Remains to be seen if that will come to pass, of course.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Correct. This is precisely what happened with Koly to Flint. A la Lucas Rowe. However, that deal was consummated because Flint wanted Koly instead of Guskov. If you are about to waive Simontaival, you don't have many options other than trade Rossi, or "trade" Gaidamak.

Actually there are options as long as the G<M goes along with it to do a semi trade. There is nothing stopping the 67's from releasing him to let's say kingston and then doing a trade for a player and getting the value of Simontaival in that deal.

An exdample is Ottawa waives he says he will only sign with Kingston they pick him up. A few days later the 67's make a trade with the Fronts for Tolnai a 5th and 6th for wright.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Actually there are options as long as the G<M goes along with it to do a semi trade. There is nothing stopping the 67's from releasing him to let's say kingston and then doing a trade for a player and getting the value of Simontaival in that deal.

An exdample is Ottawa waives he says he will only sign with Kingston they pick him up. A few days later the 67's make a trade with the Fronts for Tolnai a 5th and 6th for wright.

NB is first in line to claim any release/‘trade’ of an import, then Niagara, Sarnia, ... bottom of standings up. It would not be easy to trade a third import.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Let’s stop with the silliness of this Import discussion. Rossi will not be in Ottawa unless the European leagues all shut down which isn’t likely considering their soccer leagues are playing.

If we end up with Gaid and Simon, it will be a huge win for our Import situation. LEt’s just look at it like that.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Let’s stop with the silliness of this Import discussion. Rossi will not be in Ottawa unless the European leagues all shut down which isn’t likely considering their soccer leagues are playing.

If we end up with Gaid and Simon, it will be a huge win for our Import situation. LEt’s just look at it like that.
Agreed we need to give it a rest. For Rossi to come back the following needs to happen
1-leagues in Europe shut down
2-OHL stays open
3- he does not make the team of whoever drafts him
4- that team wants him in Ottawa
5- he needs to want to come! Him and the 67's have made it clear he is not returning.
So as you say focus needs to be on signing Simontaival who would be an instant top 6 and we would have him for two years. I even wonder frankly if Rossi returns by some miracle if we are not better to go with the new imports longer term, provided Simontaival signs.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Do the Frontenacs have another Wright other than Shane?

Reactions: sirius67fan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Agreed we need to give it a rest. For Rossi to come back the following needs to happen
1-leagues in Europe shut down
2-OHL stays open
3- he does not make the team of whoever drafts him
4- that team wants him in Ottawa
5- he needs to want to come! Him and the 67's have made it clear he is not returning.
So as you say focus needs to be on signing Simontaival who would be an instant top 6 and we would have him for two years. I even wonder frankly if Rossi returns by some miracle if we are not better to go with the new imports longer term, provided Simontaival signs.
Let's stop all this Rossi hype. Should he come back which is highly unlikely, it would probably be only for a limited time and this would just delay the structure of this year's team. Hopefully we can sign Simontaival and move on.

Get over Rossi it is time to live life without him.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Let's stop all this Rossi hype. Should he come back which is highly unlikely, it would probably be only for a limited time and this would just delay the structure of this year's team. Hopefully we can sign Simontaival and move on
Get over Rossi it is time to live life without him.

I understand exhausting all avenues prior to giving up on Rossi; however, as far as I am aware, we can still hold Rossi on our Roster with both Simontaival and Gaidamak. The one thing I am not aware of is whether we can sign both Gaidamak and Simontaival and still have Rossi’s rights. We may need to release Rossi’s right prior to signing Simontaival.

This may cause a slight issue if the Finnish league starts on time and the OHL is delayed.

There is a lot of discussion right now regarding our start date and it isn’t looking very promising. The Federal Government not allowing the Blue Jays to play out of Toronto would also suggest we would not be allowed to have the OHL teams crossing the border anytime soon. You have to think there is discussion regarding the US based teams (Saginaw, Erie, and Flint) playing in Canada at neutral sites.

The QMJHL has announced three divisions and play will only be within the same division. We could see something like that here too.

The NHL draft will be on October 9 provided there are no further delays in the NHL season. Rossi will stay put until that date and get a sense from his NHL club what the plan would be for him. It would most likely be he plays in some form of preseason camp and then they assign him somewhere.

Simontaival is in a similar situation except he knows he won’t be playing in the NHL. I have a feeling he will take the same approach as Rossi in that he won’t play in Europe until after the NHL draft because he will likely go to an NHL camp after the draft.

In addition to all of this, we don’t know what will happen with the AHL And ECHL. So, will the NHL teams keep a bunch of guys as a taxi squad if there is no AHL season? If so, how will this affect our access to potential OA’s?

There will be loads of roster configuration issues this year that may throw a wrench into any sort of decisions. I think a bird in hand will need to be the approach. IF they can get Simintaival, Gaidamak, Andree, Hoelscher, and Rippon all signed sealed and delivered as their Imports and OA’s, that is the way they go until the picture is clear. If a better opportunity presents itself, then they should look at that at that time.

The OHL should also tweak its Import rules this year considering the uncertainty of how everything is unfolding. A team like Ottawa should have the opportunity to trade Rossi’s rights should we have him returned, or maybe trade one of the other two. Either way it keeps talent in the league.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I understand exhausting all avenues prior to giving up on Rossi; however, as far as I am aware, we can still hold Rossi on our Roster with both Simontaival and Gaidamak. The one thing I am not aware of is whether we can sign both Gaidamak and Simontaival and still have Rossi’s rights. We may need to release Rossi’s right prior to signing Simontaival.

This may cause a slight issue if the Finnish league starts on time and the OHL is delayed.

There is a lot of discussion right now regarding our start date and it isn’t looking very promising. The Federal Government not allowing the Blue Jays to play out of Toronto would also suggest we would not be allowed to have the OHL teams crossing the border anytime soon. You have to think there is discussion regarding the US based teams (Saginaw, Erie, and Flint) playing in Canada at neutral sites.

The QMJHL has announced three divisions and play will only be within the same division. We could see something like that here too.

The NHL draft will be on October 9 provided there are no further delays in the NHL season. Rossi will stay put until that date and get a sense from his NHL club what the plan would be for him. It would most likely be he plays in some form of preseason camp and then they assign him somewhere.

Simontaival is in a similar situation except he knows he won’t be playing in the NHL. I have a feeling he will take the same approach as Rossi in that he won’t play in Europe until after the NHL draft because he will likely go to an NHL camp after the draft.

In addition to all of this, we don’t know what will happen with the AHL And ECHL. So, will the NHL teams keep a bunch of guys as a taxi squad if there is no AHL season? If so, how will this affect our access to potential OA’s?

There will be loads of roster configuration issues this year that may throw a wrench into any sort of decisions. I think a bird in hand will need to be the approach. IF they can get Simintaival, Gaidamak, Andree, Hoelscher, and Rippon all signed sealed and delivered as their Imports and OA’s, that is the way they go until the picture is clear. If a better opportunity presents itself, then they should look at that at that time.

The OHL should also tweak its Import rules this year considering the uncertainty of how everything is unfolding. A team like Ottawa should have the opportunity to trade Rossi’s rights should we have him returned, or maybe trade one of the other two. Either way it keeps talent in the league.
As far as exhausting all avenues about Rossi, this is fine but we have no inside info., we have not heard anything concrete and we should concentrate our efforts on constructing this season's team with what players we know we have in place.

I highly doubt that the OHL will be tweaking the import rules anytime soon to accomodate Ottawa or anyone else.

Should Rossi come back for the season due to the uncertainty of the hockey world it would be great, but with or without we will not be considered championship material.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As far as exhausting all avenues about Rossi, this is fine but we have no inside info., we have not heard anything concrete and we should concentrate our efforts on constructing this season's team with what players we know we have in place.

I highly doubt that the OHL will be tweaking the import rules anytime soon to accomodate Ottawa or anyone else.

Should Rossi come back for the season due to the uncertainty of the hockey world it would be great, but with or without we will not be considered championship material.

The point is the OHL should consider tweaking the rules, not for Ottawa’s best interest but for the Leagues best interest.

The normal timing would see the NHL draft in June. Teams would be able to figure out everything prior tot heir season and align it with the NHL season etc.

This season will not be that. We won’t see an NHL season start until at least November. That means teams will need to cut bait on a lot of players if there are no tweaking of the rules.

The reality is, the OHL is a better product with players like Rossi in the league. If the League were to allow every OHL team to roster three Imports provided their 3rd Import is participating in NHL led activities, it would leave the option open for those teams to retain talent that would benefit the league. IF the player is returned, the team should be afforded an opportunity to trade ANY of their Import players.

Retaining talent should be the priority and when the dates don’t line up as normal, all current rules should be amended to at least line up the dates at a minimum and allow teams to configure their rosters accordingly.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The one thing I am not aware of is whether we can sign both Gaidamak and Simontaival and still have Rossi’s rights. We may need to release Rossi’s right prior to signing Simontaival.
You will not need to release Rossi's rights.

Back on September 21, 2018, Guskov and Kolyachonok both suited up for the London Knight's first regular season game. Then Boqvist was returned to London on September 26. London had 1 week to resolve their 3 import issue. Their options were:
- trade Boqvist (he had already played in the league the previous season)
- waive Koly or Guskov (neither had played in the league the previous season)

Ultimately London waived Koly on October 2.

Similarly, you can keep Rossi's rights, but if he is returned you will have a week to either trade Rossi or waive rights to either Gaidamak or Simontaival.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You will not need to release Rossi's rights.

Back on September 21, 2018, Guskov and Kolyachonok both suited up for the London Knight's first regular season game. Then Boqvist was returned to London on September 26. London had 1 week to resolve their 3 import issue. Their options were:
- trade Boqvist (he had already played in the league the previous season)
- waive Koly or Guskov (neither had played in the league the previous season)

Ultimately London waived Koly on October 2.

Similarly, you can keep Rossi's rights, but if he is returned you will have a week to either trade Rossi or waive rights to either Gaidamak or Simontaival.

Yes, but what I am suggesting is maybe under these circumstances, the league would allow the trading of Simontaival or Gaidamak in an effort to keep them in the league? Sort of a one year only revision of the rule.

That said, if the player is strong enough to be traded, he is strong enough to be a waiver pickup. And there is nothing to suggest the teams couldn’t work out a back door deal provided their waiver priority is high.

It would be horrible optics if Ottawa were to trade Rossi and keep the other two. You’d most certainly see Ottawa probably waive Gaidamak under that scenario.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
your over thinking this, Rossi isn't playing a game anywhere until after the draft and he attends NHL training camp. Rossi and the 67's have made it abundantly clear that Rossi is playing pro hockey this year either NHL or Europe. The only way the optics look bad is if the league makes it appear that they are adapting rules to favor certain teams in the league which is what they would be doing. Other than Rossi not being officially selected and knowing the team, nothing in this scenario is different than it would be under normal circumstances. And just like London did last season if Rossi gets returned then the 67's would have to place Simontaival on waivers IF he was signed. The league is never going to allow them to keep 3 premium import players.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It would be horrible optics if Ottawa were to trade Rossi and keep the other two. You’d most certainly see Ottawa probably waive Gaidamak under that scenario.
If Ottawa is not a contender next year, then there is nothing horrible about these optics. In fact, whatever team drafts Rossi might demand a trade to a contender in order for him even to report to the league.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Ottawa is not a contender next year, then there is nothing horrible about these optics. In fact, whatever team drafts Rossi might demand a trade to a contender in order for him even to report to the league.

I would suggest with Rossi and Simontaival, Ottawa would be a contender:

Simontaival-Rossi-Clarke
Quinn-Hoelscher-Beck
Robinson-Tolnai-Varga
Johnston- Laforme-Sirizzotti
Crete
2020 Draft picks: Stonehouse & Moldenhauer

Rippon-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-Gill
2020 Draft Picks: Sirman & Mayich

Andree
Cranley

I’d say to make the team a bonafide contender, they need to add a top pairing D-Man which is viable. I wouldn’t think they’d need any other additions to be honest.

The 2nd line is one year older. The first line wouldn’t necessarily be quite as dynamic as last year but pretty close. The 3rd and 4th lines are a year older.

The goaltending is proven successful and maybe the best tandem in the OHL on paper.

Outside of the impact of Hoefenmayer & Bahl last year, this roster is pretty deep. I’d put that up against any other roster on paper assuming a top pairing 19 year old d-Man were to be added.

The 67’s wouldn’t need to be a 110 point team to be considered a contender. I’m sure that sort of roster puts them above 90 points and right in the thick of contention.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I would suggest with Rossi and Simontaival, Ottawa would be a contender:

Simontaival-Rossi-Clarke
Quinn-Hoelscher-Beck
Robinson-Tolnai-Varga
Johnston- Laforme-Sirizzotti
Crete
2020 Draft picks: Stonehouse & Moldenhauer

Rippon-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-Gill
2020 Draft Picks: Sirman & Mayich

Andree
Cranley

I’d say to make the team a bonafide contender, they need to add a top pairing D-Man which is viable. I wouldn’t think they’d need any other additions to be honest.

The 2nd line is one year older. The first line wouldn’t necessarily be quite as dynamic as last year but pretty close. The 3rd and 4th lines are a year older.

The goaltending is proven successful and maybe the best tandem in the OHL on paper.

Outside of the impact of Hoefenmayer & Bahl last year, this roster is pretty deep. I’d put that up against any other roster on paper assuming a top pairing 19 year old d-Man were to be added.

The 67’s wouldn’t need to be a 110 point team to be considered a contender. I’m sure that sort of roster puts them above 90 points and right in the thick of contention.
In my opinion to be a contender and not a pretender, we need a impact forward and a top pairing d-man even with the above lineup.

The 3rd. line which consists of Robinson,, Tolnai and Varga will just not contribute enough offensively.
1. Robinson often injured and a pro rated point total of 18 last season.
2. Tolnai with 22 points due to a sudden spurt at the end of the season. Has he truly arrived or was this just a flash in the pan. Big question?
3. Varga with 11 points and just does not have a real scoring touch.

Too many questions concerning the 3rd. line regardless of your possible projected lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad