Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
So import draft tomorrow. We have two picks and imo this is what we should do. With our first at # 49 we should go for a high impact 17 y.o. forward (ideally a center) as the team appears to be building around the 04's so it would fit our window. I know some will say we are not gonna get a stud at that slot but this is the import draft where it's all about recruiting and the player to a large degree decides where he wants to go. Boyd/Tourigny have a good record of getting top imports so hopefully they did their homework. With our second pick I'd go for a 19 y.o. D that would be a one year player. Our defense is talented but very young so we could use a steady eddy type back there to help Rippon with the kids. I don't expect we get a star at #67 but what I want is a steady shutdown type. Thoughts?

Reactions: OMG67

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
With our first at # 49 we should go for a high impact 17 y.o. forward (ideally a center)
Don't want to meddle with the draft, so not going to name names here, but from what I've heard from a WHL GM who was very interested in an 03 centre who's frequently brought up in relation to the import draft.... Ottawa is one of the teams that have long been interested as well and there's a very good chance they pick him with their first pick if no one else picks him up before. I know this isn't much, but it sounds like Boyd is thinking the same as you.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Don't want to meddle with the draft, so not going to name names here, but from what I've heard from a WHL GM who was very interested in an 03 centre who's frequently brought up in relation to the import draft.... Ottawa is one of the teams that have long been interested as well and there's a very good chance they pick him with their first pick if no one else picks him up before. I know this isn't much, but it sounds like Boyd is thinking the same as you.

So, this is sort of what happens so to speak.

We did manage to get Rossi; however, it was very likely he wouldn’t have been at our pick had we been picking 47th.

This will be the case with many other players. A lot of times, teams higher up will draft the player regardless and hope they can get him to report. It doesn’T always happen, of course, but we certainly cannot count on it.

I hope we do manage to do exactly what Sirius is suggesting. With any luck we manage to bring in a solid 19 year old D-Man for one year. If we do pick a 17 year old with our first pick, we can always replace the 19 year old in next year’s draft. Obviously we should try not to be in a situation where we graduate Imports in the same season.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
So, this is sort of what happens so to speak.

We did manage to get Rossi; however, it was very likely he wouldn’t have been at our pick had we been picking 47th.

This will be the case with many other players. A lot of times, teams higher up will draft the player regardless and hope they can get him to report. It doesn’T always happen, of course, but we certainly cannot count on it.

I hope we do manage to do exactly what Sirius is suggesting. With any luck we manage to bring in a solid 19 year old D-Man for one year. If we do pick a 17 year old with our first pick, we can always replace the 19 year old in next year’s draft. Obviously we should try not to be in a situation where we graduate Imports in the same season.

The import draft is just a weird process. The story with the player I was referring to was this:
  • WHL GM asked agent which clients of his were interested in playing for the team – the player in question, let's call him '03C', was one of them and 100% committed if picked
  • In the same conversation, the agent said Ottawa was very interested as well as a team picking in the top-3
  • WHL GM looked into 03C, liked him and got back to the agent – 03C is now no longer interested and would not report
As far as I understood, there were only a few weeks between the first event and the last. So clearly a deal was made and clearly he will still report – just not to WHL GM's team. What's interesting to me about this is that, in a draft where technically all teams say they want to pick the best player available, agents feel confident that they can get their client to either a top-3 team or Ottawa at 57. Is the top-3 team happy with a non-standout prospect as long is he's committed or is Ottawa and the agent confident that a player who's good enough to be a top-3 pick will drop to 57? Something in between?

None of this is new, it's just always interesting to follow. And kind of stupid at the same time.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The import draft is just a weird process. The story with the player I was referring to was this:
  • WHL GM asked agent which clients of his were interested in playing for the team – the player in question, let's call him '03C', was one of them and 100% committed if picked
  • In the same conversation, the agent said Ottawa was very interested as well as a team picking in the top-3
  • WHL GM looked into 03C, liked him and got back to the agent – 03C is now no longer interested and would not report
As far as I understood, there were only a few weeks between the first event and the last. So clearly a deal was made and clearly he will still report – just not to WHL GM's team. What's interesting to me about this is that, in a draft where technically all teams say they want to pick the best player available, agents feel confident that they can get their client to either a top-3 team or Ottawa at 57. Is the top-3 team happy with a non-standout prospect as long is he's committed or is Ottawa and the agent confident that a player who's good enough to be a top-3 pick will drop to 57? Something in between?

None of this is new, it's just always interesting to follow. And kind of stupid at the same time.

It would be outstanding if we were able to acquire a bonafide centre with our 47th pick. The player doesn’t need to be a major contributor this season but someone that can hold his own as the 3rd line pivot would be great.

It will be interesting to see how they shape this team regardless. You have guys like Crete and Varga that line up around the 3rd line but kids like Johnston and Sirizzotti need real ice.

Hypothetically speaking, if Hoelscher returns and they align that same line (Quinn and Beck), that puts Tolnai and Clarke on the 2nd line. You’d think Robinson would get first crack at that wing spot. So, top 2 lines would be somewhat set. Even if Clarke moves up into Beck’s spot, you’d think Beck would still fit in the top two lines based on his performance last season.

So, what do you do with Varga and Crete? Do you play them on the 3rd line or give those spots to the guys you are trying to build around? Plus you have this years draft picks, Stonehouse and Moldenhauer that need ice.

Some interesting decisions if Hoelscher comes back.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It would be outstanding if we were able to acquire a bonafide centre with our 47th pick. The player doesn’t need to be a major contributor this season but someone that can hold his own as the 3rd line pivot would be great.

It will be interesting to see how they shape this team regardless. You have guys like Crete and Varga that line up around the 3rd line but kids like Johnston and Sirizzotti need real ice.

Hypothetically speaking, if Hoelscher returns and they align that same line (Quinn and Beck), that puts Tolnai and Clarke on the 2nd line. You’d think Robinson would get first crack at that wing spot. So, top 2 lines would be somewhat set. Even if Clarke moves up into Beck’s spot, you’d think Beck would still fit in the top two lines based on his performance last season.

So, what do you do with Varga and Crete? Do you play them on the 3rd line or give those spots to the guys you are trying to build around? Plus you have this year's draft picks, Stonehouse and Moldenhauer that need ice.

Some interesting decisions if Hoelscher comes back.

I am a firm believer that teams like Ottawa and London already have their draft picks all but signed. The difference between the Euro and OHL draft is that players agents can tell teams not to draft their players because they will not report.

That being said there is I believe a cost to teams that draft players so I am not sure drafting a player for one year is financially feasible also the ice surface and everything, as well as the cultural changes, can be tough for a player to assimilate in a short period of time. I would go for an 18-year-old D rather than a 1-year rental. If the team wants a 1 year D I think there are going to be many available this year that we could use.

The other thing to look at is goaltending if as we have almost all agreed we are going to trade Andree and there is a young goalie that is available that has the stats it would not be a bad thing to draft him. Look at the success we have had with Euro goalies.

I think the first round they take the player they want and the second they take the best available. We already have 5 D coming back this year so there really is not a lot of space on the team. Plus we have Sirman and Mayich.

I do agree though that if we draft a 17 year old in the first round we definitely do not want to draft a 17 year old in the second round.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am a firm believer that teams like Ottawa and London already have their draft picks all but signed. The difference between the Euro and OHL draft is that players agents can tell teams not to draft their players because they will not report.

That being said there is I believe a cost to teams that draft players so I am not sure drafting a player for one year is financially feasible also the ice surface and everything, as well as the cultural changes, can be tough for a player to assimilate in a short period of time. I would go for an 18-year-old D rather than a 1-year rental. If the team wants a 1 year D I think there are going to be many available this year that we could use.

The other thing to look at is goaltending if as we have almost all agreed we are going to trade Andree and there is a young goalie that is available that has the stats it would not be a bad thing to draft him. Look at the success we have had with Euro goalies.

I think the first round they take the player they want and the second they take the best available. We already have 5 D coming back this year so there really is not a lot of space on the team. Plus we have Sirman and Mayich.

I do agree though that if we draft a 17 year old in the first round we definitely do not want to draft a 17 year old in the second round.

If they can get Donoso to sign a contract, I think you have your 3rd goalie.

All that said, we shall see what happens. We will know a lot more tomorrow evening.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Ottawa 67s first pick is Vsevolod Gaidamak from Russia, a 6 ft. 187 lbs center. He was born on April 9 2003.

With their 2nd pick they chose Kasper Simontaival from Finland. A RW born Jan 11, 2002. Listed at 5ft. 9 in. and 172 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Two very, very solid picks. Gaidamak could step into the 2nd/3rd line Center right away. He was the Captain for his club team and was tied for second on Team Russia U17 scoring with 15 points in 16 games and is a perfect complement to the team's 2003 core. In comparison, the 1st overall pick to North Bay was Matvei Petrov who had 9 points in 9 games. If Ottawa can sign Gaidamak, this would be an immediate contributor. Vsevolod Gaidamak at eliteprospects.com

In round 2, Ottawa swung for the fences with Kasper Simontaival, who is ranked as high as #39 for this year's NHL draft. The experts are doubting whether or not he'd sign, but maybe Ottawa has some intel from a team like the Sens who may prefer seeing this prospect develop in Ottawa for arguably the best junior coach in the country. If he does report, he is an instant first line player in the O. Kasper Simontaival at eliteprospects.com

When Ottawa picked Marco Rossi two years ago, the general consensus on Import Draft day was that it was a wasted pick. We have yet to see this management team "waste" a pick in the import draft signing Okhotyuk, Rossi and Oliver True who unfortunately didn't work out for the team. My feeling is that I'd rather see them take an elite talent like Gaidamak and Simontaival than an "average" prospect.

I reiterate my previous statements that the import draft order really doesn't matter to prime teams like Ottawa, London, St. John's and Halifax. They will almost always find better players than the run of the mill teams in their leagues, regardless of their draft position. Let's hope James Boyd and Jan Egert can sign these two and we can start to plan the parade for Bank St. next summer! :)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
We'll I guess and hopefully the russian shows up. I see the finish kid as a bonus. If he shows up great and if he does't we take an import next year. I agree with barberpole better to go for a stud rather than an average player as we have plenty of depth on the team. Wouldn't hold my breath for that parade though;)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Two very, very solid picks. Gaidamak could step into the 2nd/3rd line Center right away. He was the Captain for his club team and was tied for second on Team Russia U17 scoring with 15 points in 16 games and is a perfect complement to the team's 2003 core. In comparison, the 1st overall pick to North Bay was Matvei Petrov who had 9 points in 9 games. If Ottawa can sign Gaidamak, this would be an immediate contributor. Vsevolod Gaidamak at eliteprospects.com

In round 2, Ottawa swung for the fences with Kasper Simontaival, who is ranked as high as #39 for this year's NHL draft. The experts are doubting whether or not he'd sign, but maybe Ottawa has some intel from a team like the Sens who may prefer seeing this prospect develop in Ottawa for arguably the best junior coach in the country. If he does report, he is an instant first line player in the O. Kasper Simontaival at eliteprospects.com

When Ottawa picked Marco Rossi two years ago, the general consensus on Import Draft day was that it was a wasted pick. We have yet to see this management team "waste" a pick in the import draft signing Okhotyuk, Rossi and Oliver True who unfortunately didn't work out for the team. My feeling is that I'd rather see them take an elite talent like Gaidamak and Simontaival than an "average" prospect.

I reiterate my previous statements that the import draft order really doesn't matter to prime teams like Ottawa, London, St. John's and Halifax. They will almost always find better players than the run of the mill teams in their leagues, regardless of their draft position. Let's hope James Boyd and Jan Egert can sign these two and we can start to plan the parade for Bank St. next summer! :)

I'm not too sure the word was Rossi was a wasted pick. Pretty much as soon as he was picked, the rumours were he would only go to Ottawa and that the deal was already in place.

Other than that, I pretty much agree. We'll see whether these two lads had already been contacted and contracts discussed. I do think the Finn will be the tougher get but who knows.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If those two show up we'll have quite the logjam at forward and Right wing in particular.

It will be interesting to see how they structure the roster. I think a lot of it has to do with hteir overall competitiveness. If the team can compete at a high level, we'll probably see the '04 birth dates drafted this summer take a backseat a little.

One of the things I've been wondering about is Sirizzotti. Rumours were he was going to Peterborough in the deal for Thomas (to be announced this summer). I'm wondering if he is in their plans? Was that a situation where we had to give something to get something of is he a kid that wants to play a little closer to home? time will tell.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It will be interesting to see how they structure the roster. I think a lot of it has to do with hteir overall competitiveness. If the team can compete at a high level, we'll probably see the '04 birth dates drafted this summer take a backseat a little.

One of the things I've been wondering about is Sirizzotti. Rumours were he was going to Peterborough in the deal for Thomas (to be announced this summer). I'm wondering if he is in their plans? Was that a situation where we had to give something to get something of is he a kid that wants to play a little closer to home? time will tell.
Interesting, first I've heard about Srizzotti and the petes. Obviously we didn't get Thomas (good in retrospect) but he would likely be pricey after his season. Anyway I hope he's in Ottawa as fits our window. I suspect if he was to be traded it would have been done by now.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting, first I've heard about Srizzotti and the petes. Obviously we didn't get Thomas (good in retrospect) but he would likely be pricey after his season. Anyway I hope he's in Ottawa as fits our window. I suspect if he was to be traded it would have been done by now.

I had heard he was in that proposed deal when it looked like Ottawa had Thomas but Niagara was able to work it out with the Petes after Thomas invoked his no trade.

The aspect of Sirizzotti not wanting to be in Ottawa is pure speculation on my part. I wouldn't even say it is speculation, more of a question since he was dangled last year. This is not something I have heard from ANYONE.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
By the way OMG after re-reading your post did you mean Niagara instead of the Petes? Thomas was traded by niagara.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I had heard he was in that proposed deal when it looked like Ottawa had Thomas but Niagara was able to work it out with the Petes after Thomas invoked his no trade.

The aspect of Sirizzotti not wanting to be in Ottawa is pure speculation on my part. I wouldn't even say it is speculation, more of a question since he was dangled last year. This is not something I have heard from ANYONE.
Did Thomas block a trade to Ottawa?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Assuming Simontaivaal doesn’t come over, what’s the projected team looking like next year? Anyone expected to improve vastly? I saw a couple live 67s games this year and it was a fantastic team.

Reactions: BarberPole9

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Assuming Simontaivaal doesn’t come over, what’s the projected team looking like next year? Anyone expected to improve vastly? I saw a couple live 67s games this year and it was a fantastic team.
i think if Hoelscher returns that we will have a good team ( 3-6 in the east) but won't be the juggernaut of last year. If I had to pick one guy for a big jump it would be Tolnai based on the last ten games of last year. Second one is Cranley in goal.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
If we could get the imports to play next year we would be a top 5 team for sure. I believe Hoelscher will be back and Tolnai has finally grown enough to feel confident. I see him being a much i.proved player.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Did Thomas block a trade to Ottawa?

No. Rumours were the Ice Dogs and Petes had a deal done but Thomas had balked at going to PEterborough. It was delayed a day. During the delay, a rumour surfaced the 67’s had offered a picks based deal including Sirizzotti moving there in the offseason. In the end, he ended up going to the Petes.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If we could get the imports to play next year we would be a top 5 team for sure. I believe Hoelscher will be back and Tolnai has finally grown enough to feel confident. I see him being a much i.proved player.

If we get both Imports signed, it is VERY possible we will be very competitive. We’d need to add a veteran D-Man to eat Top two pair minutes but that player doesn’t need to be offensively dynamic, just solid defensively. Someone like Rippon.

Quinn-Hoelscher(OA)-Simontaival
Robinson-Tolnai-Clarke
Beck-Gaidamak-Varga
Johnston-Crete-Sirizzotti
Moldenhauer-Stonehouse

Rippon(OA)-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-Gill
Sirman-Mayich

Andree(OA)
Cranley

That lineup would have Quinn as a 1st rounder, Simiontaival as a top 3 round pick, Clarke as a Team Canada invite, Gaidamak as a pivotal Russian player, emerging Tolnai as well as Sirizzotti and Johnston plus a steady Beck. On top of that you have Hoelscher as an elite OA centre.

Andree is proven in net with Cranley a more than capable backup. The defense is a little young but one trade solves that. Someone that can play big minutes with Belanger on the 2nd pair would be ideal.

If that roster cannot finish with home ice advantage in round one of the playoffs, the Eastern Conference would be pretty stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad