Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Beast you keep talking about Bahl, Rossi etc coming back for a while should ahl, nhl not being an option early in the season. You are right that if the O is running and I suspect it will in September that it would be good for those players to play. The question is would it be good for the team? Sure financially it would put butts in the seats and heck I'd love to see Rossi some more. From a hockey perspective though those guys take the place of young guys that need icetime. Then at some point you lose Rossi, Bahl, Okhotiuk...maybe Quinn, Hoelscher so you gut the team midseason. You have to rebuild team chemistry and give bigger roles to kids who haven't been playing. I say it's not good for junior teams. If let's say Rossi is sent back by his pro team for the year....great!(won't happen) but if those players are not in for the whole year I say no.
I agree a 100%. Your sentiments on this subject are right on. We do not need distractions upsetting the whole team chemistry for a limited amount of time, so these guys can keep in shape and remain competitive.

The staff needs to concentrate on this season's projected team and work with what they have for the whole season. No need for theses type of disruptions.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
1 - Rossi is not coming back regardless of rule changes. There will be Pro opportunities for him in Europe.
2 - Okhotyuk won't come back regardless of rule changes. ottawa will draft two Imports. Makes zer sense to draft two Imports and release one for a temporary OA Import.
3 - Hoelscher is the only player in limbo. Maybe he is back. Maybe he isn't. This will not impact roster config in offseason. If he is back, he is back for the whole season.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ottawa may already have them signed. Right now signing a player and announcing it gets lost in the rest of the media. It makes more sense to announce the signings and introduce the players just before training camp to jump-start the media coverage of the team and build the excitement.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Just saying. The draft was 2 months ago and they have zero signed. Only team I believe.

Gens also have 0. I think most would consider Boyd/Hunt as 2 of the best GM's in the league too. Not sure why so many teams are committing to 3rd/4th/5th round picks who they've never even seen in an OHL camp yet. Lots of education packages are being wasted so that their fanbase feels like they had an active quarantine

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Import draft will be on june 30th. Hopefully Boyd can pull off magic again and get us a top player. Probably has known for a while that Rossi not returning. I suspect there were a few recruiting trips to Europe before the pandemic hit.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Import draft will be on june 30th. Hopefully Boyd can pull off magic again and get us a top player. Probably has known for a while that Rossi not returning. I suspect there were a few recruiting trips to Europe before the pandemic hit.

With Rossi and Okhotyuk being 1st and 2nd round NHL draft picks, the 67's should have some serious sway in convincing a couple of good players to come over.

Don't forget that the draft order doesn't really matter. From looking at the draft two years ago ( Elite Prospects - CHL Import Draft 2018 ), the best player drafted was Rossi at #18. Gatineau got David Aebischer, who was their #1 D and a standout in the WJC this year in the second round at #82 overall. Victoriaville got two players who have over 100 points each, including Mikhail Abramov, who had appx. 1.25 points per game last year at #97 overall.

In the O, Barrie got Matej Pekar (99 points in 84 games over 2 years) at #108 and the Soo got Jaromir Pytlik (69 points in 82 games and a highly ranked prospect for this year's draft) as the last OHL player picked at #118.

With the lack of a u18 and the NHL draft being pushed back, the teams like Ottawa and London will have a distinct advantage with better NHL team contacts and more resources than small market teams this year. The small market teams don't have the budget to employ a ringer like Jan Egert to source two top imports this year. I am very confident that Ottawa will draft two very solid roster players this year.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Both would have been worthy of the CHL Player of the Year award. Points per game ratio were Lafreniere 2.15 compared to Rossi's 2.14.

Both had phenominal years and both have great skills.

Good luck boys.

Reactions: BarberPole9

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
WJC probably helped Lafreniere in the final end.

We could have a pretty good WJC team again this year if they hold it.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Read a bit on Laforme. Big kid with good hockey sense. More of a playmaker and responsible in all three zones. Sounds like the type of player the coaches like to work with. Also over a point a game as a 16 y.o. in GOHL which I believe is junior B, pretty impressive. Obviously the brass like him to give up a 4rth. They are really building around that 2003 class!

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
If Ottawa is named host of the 2021 world men’scurling championship — and indications are that will be the announcement made by Curling Canada on Tuesday — the news could have a ripple effect.

It also puts some pressure on the city of Ottawa to spruce up decrepit TD Place in the next 10 months. And if it does add some corporate boxes, well, it has been 21 years since the 67’s hosted the Memorial Cup. Fix up their home and they could be in line to get the rights to Canada’s major junior hockey championships the next time it’s the OHL’s turn.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Read a bit on Laforme. Big kid with good hockey sense. More of a playmaker and responsible in all three zones. Sounds like the type of player the coaches like to work with. Also over a point a game as a 16 y.o. in GOHL which I believe is junior B, pretty impressive. Obviously the brass like him to give up a 4rth. They are really building around that 2003 class!

We don’t “need” wingers but do really NEED a centre or two. Hopefully he can fill a hole down the middle, even if it’s just the 4th line centre spot.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Ottawa is named host of the 2021 world men’scurling championship — and indications are that will be the announcement made by Curling Canada on Tuesday — the news could have a ripple effect.

It also puts some pressure on the city of Ottawa to spruce up decrepit TD Place in the next 10 months. And if it does add some corporate boxes, well, it has been 21 years since the 67’s hosted the Memorial Cup. Fix up their home and they could be in line to get the rights to Canada’s major junior hockey championships the next time it’s the OHL’s turn.

OSEG is the operator of Lansdowne. I’m not sure the City has any intention of investing anymore $$$ into Lansdowne. From what I hear, OSEG isn’t making any coin on that project either.

I wouldn’t think they’d fix the existing boxes or even bother tearing them down anytime in the near future.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
We don’t “need” wingers but do really NEED a centre or two. Hopefully he can fill a hole down the middle, even if it’s just the 4th line centre spot.
apparently he can play all three positions but has mostly played center. Hopefully he can be our third line center or left wing as beyond Beck and Robinson we're a bit thin there also.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Projection:
apparently he can play all three positions but has mostly played center. Hopefully he can be our third line center or left wing as beyond Beck and Robinson we're a bit thin there also.

Quinn-Hoelscher (OA)-Beck
Robinson-Tolnai-Clarke
Crete-IMPORT-Varga
Johnston-Laforme-Sirizzotti
Moldenhauer-Stonehouse

Rippon (OA)-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-Gill
Mayich-Sirman

Andree (OA)
Cranley
Donoso

We still have a spot for a 2nd Import as well. Not everyone not he list is signed. This is assuming Hoelscher doesn’t get a tryout because of the Minor leagues not being utilized as normal.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Projection:

Quinn-Hoelscher (OA)-Beck
Robinson-Tolnai-Clarke
Crete-IMPORT-Varga
Johnston-Laforme-Sirizzotti
Moldenhauer-Stonehouse

Rippon (OA)-Matier
Belanger-Costantini
Sawyer-Gill
Mayich-Sirman

Andree (OA)
Cranley
Donoso

We still have a spot for a 2nd Import as well. Not everyone not he list is signed. This is assuming Hoelscher doesn’t get a tryout because of the Minor leagues not being utilized as normal.
I noticed you did not include Daylon Groulx in your projection. I think Boyd will have to try and recoup some of the 3 draft picks sent over to Owen Sound if Groulx is not in the plans. I personally do not care if he is on the move. Only real positive he could provide is a little muscle.

In addition, I hope a deal can be made to ship Andree out. It is Cranley's turn and let's groom Donoso as our backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad