Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
Possibly he is a great player and does bring another dimension as an offensive D. Myself I would prefer adding two OA forwards but others on this board, namely OMG, have been clamouring for a player of that type. They might be right but I think our D is just fine. Hoefenmayer is having a good year offensively and all our D recently except Wilson (solid stay at home D) have shown the ability to move the puck. So if we get Durzi who do we sit...Peric? So we do substract, but we have room for two forwards! That being said I'm not so sure OS should sell after handling London, you might be one goalie away from doing damage?
Owen Sound has no choice but to sell. Looks like you want Durzi and Hancock or Suzuki. What are they worth to you?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Owen Sound has no choice but to sell. Looks like you want Durzi and Hancock or Suzuki. What are they worth to you?

Durzi will have to return from injury and prove he is good for a run through the playoffs.

Hancock is a fine player but I am not sure if he adds a dimension we need. Personally, I feel Saigeon should be the target. We lack a bit of size and I feel he would be a better fit. Hancock would add more value to a team lacking in scoring.

Suzuki is another fine player but with two OA spots open, I feel the 67's need to fill those two spots before they decide on adding a stud 19 year old at a high cost.

The 67's have loads of draft pick capital and James Boyd is on record saying he is not interested in trading roster players to upgrade the team. Therefore, adding two OA's is probably the best course of action since OA's have a high tendency of being acquired with draft picks.

If Durzi can return to action and show his health, I believe his value is two 2nds and a 4th as the starting point. Depending on the market, that number could go up or down. It looks like Mattinen, Hollowell and Sambrook could become available. That may depress the return a little for OA D-Men.

Hancock is a big time scorer. But, with the likes of Saigeon, Brazeau, Maksimovitch and Howdeshell also being available, it may also depress the market for Hancock as well.

I think the absolute floor for good OA's is the value traded for Salinitri (two 2nds and a 4th). I wouldn't be surprised if there were an additional 3rd tossed in for the stud OA's like Durzi and Hancock but because of the potential for so many others to be on the market, that extra 3rd may not happen.

Suzuki falls into that stud 19 year old category. The sky is the limit. But, I doubt Ottawa enters into that forray. Any conversation involving Suzuki probably includes a 2018 1st. If not that, then four 2nds and two 3rds as the bare minimum, I would think.

Reactions: LDN and sirius67fan

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
Slowpace, as OMG points out, you missed my point. which was...

Almost nobody, save for the desperate and/or uninformed signs a "one-for-one" school package anymore. I'm not talking about 'add-ons' to make it similar to a gold package or anything they provide for during the high school years. I'm saying Player X, drafted in the 4th round (for example) is not signing a one-for-one. Maybe he was a 2nd round talent that told prospective GMs that he had NCAA interest in order to 'fall' to a more preferable situation. Maybe he had a 95% average in school in his draft year. Nobody but the principles (not principals) know for sure.

First rounders get Gold Packages. Second rounders get equivalent to Gold Package. Third/Fourth rounders, depending on their showing in camp, get two-for-ones or, more likely, three-for-ones (and some get four-for-ones!). Not counting goalies, Ottawa's current roster has 4 players drafted later than the 3rd round. If you think Bitten, Clark, Maggio or Yule gave up their NCAA eligibility for a 1-year, $12,000 conditional scholarship at a Canadian university, you'd be very mistaken.

And to your other point, yes, the more affluent clubs have way more flexibility to do this. And, contrary to your notion, London is the king of it. Remember, one night of London gate receipts is equal to that of Flint, Mississauga, North Bay and Peterborough COMBINED. Multiply that by 34 homes dates + playoffs + merchandise and you have financial clout. Ever wonder why clubs like Flint, Mississauga (unless the player is from the GTA), North Bay and Peterborough have trouble getting players to report? One, they're often not very good and, two, they often lack the resources to attract players with NCAA interest who refuse to sign for 'minimum wage' (i.e. one-for-one).

Thanks for the 'Education' :laugh::laugh: You make a lot of unfounded assumptions. You seem to know all the extras everyone is getting then you contradict yourself with "Nobody but the principles know for sure". Do I need to explain what assume means? Time to move on....

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
one item that has been overlooked but is very important to parents is the team that is drafting. Flint and Kingston are examples of teams that players do not want to play for. The parents and agent look at the teams where the player is going to get the most education on the ice, that NHL scouts follow religiously. and that treat their draft choices properly.

During the Agnew ownership being the first round draft pick of Kingston has in most cases meant sitting on the bench even if you were the first round draft pick, no development education nothing. and then you are traded.

Flint since they were created has had a very rocky and unproductive past.

London, on the other hand, is the coveted team to be drafted by because of the feelings from scouts and players that they develop NHL calibre talent or get the best out of each player.

Killer and Bert Templeton had the same following. If Tourigny stays here I think that he will achieve that as well.

That is huge when you have an NHL career in your plan.

Reactions: LDN and BadgerBruce

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
one item that has been overlooked but is very important to parents is the team that is drafting. Flint and Kingston are examples of teams that players do not want to play for. The parents and agent look at the teams where the player is going to get the most education on the ice, that NHL scouts follow religiously. and that treat their draft choices properly.

During the Agnew ownership being the first round draft pick of Kingston has in most cases meant sitting on the bench even if you were the first round draft pick, no development education nothing. and then you are traded.

Flint since they were created has had a very rocky and unproductive past.

London, on the other hand, is the coveted team to be drafted by because of the feelings from scouts and players that they develop NHL calibre talent or get the best out of each player.

Killer and Bert Templeton had the same following. If Tourigny stays here I think that he will achieve that as well.

That is huge when you have an NHL career in your plan.

Tourigny won't be here long. If he were to win an OHL Championship and Memorial Cup, I think he will move back to the NHL next year. Even if he doesn't win but has two solid back to back years this year and next, he's likely gone.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Thanks for the 'Education' :laugh::laugh: You make a lot of unfounded assumptions. You seem to know all the extras everyone is getting then you contradict yourself with "Nobody but the principles know for sure". Do I need to explain what assume means? Time to move on....
Mr Slowpace of the seven posts. Just so you know OMG is a well regarded poster on this board. His opinions are usually quite objective and based on past transactions. That being said does he make assumptions? Of course he does as do all of us, this is a message board for essentially armchair coaches/GM which is the fun of it. However unfounded assumptions...I think not.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mr Slowpace of the seven posts. Just so you know OMG is a well regarded poster on this board. His opinions are usually quite objective and based on past transactions. That being said does he make assumptions? Of course he does as do all of us, this is a message board for essentially armchair coaches/GM which is the fun of it. However unfounded assumptions...I think not.

Actually, he was poking at ETA. The irony of that is I make assumptions as you mentioned but ETA usually has better second hand knowledge from more reliable sources. When he says something, I usually take it as fact. That makes the Slowpace comments even more silly.

All that said, it is a message board full of opinions. Some we agree with and others are more far fetched or simply factually wrong. In the end it is up to us as individuals to make those determinations in as respectful manner as possible. Unfortunately, I haven’t been the most respectful at times so I am the pot in this conversation.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Thanks OMG I missed that, however my point still stands, as ETA usually knows what he's talking about.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
That was like watching a thoroughbred on a sloppy track (and still win).
Yes was at the game and possibly the most bored I've been at the rink this year. They better play better the next two days or they will be in trouble. In fairness we're kind of down to a one scoring line team right now. We need our D and Andree( as he did tonight) to pull us through the next two. On a positive note the beer was as usual very good.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Yes was at the game and possibly the most bored I've been at the rink this year. They better play better the next two days or they will be in trouble. In fairness we're kind of down to a one scoring line team right now. We need our D and Andree( as he did tonight) to pull us through the next two. On a positive note the beer was as usual very good.
Like coach Tourigny stated, use the trap, play well in your own end and hope for the best with your limited resources.

Main thing is to focus on the team's committment to playing right.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Were the attack more hungry than the 67s this afternoon? I know Ottawa is missing Rossi and Chemelevski but who else is on the IR?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Were the attack more hungry than the 67s this afternoon? I know Ottawa is missing Rossi and Chemelevski but who else is on the IR?
Dipietro WJC, Graeme Clarke and Kody Clark injured as well. As a result we have no 1st, 2nd. line centres. We have to use people who are normally 3rd. Or 4th. liners in these spots. We really only have 1 scoring line at present.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrunoDaBear

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Predictable loss imo but I loved their fight in the third. Hopefully they have some energy left for the Petes!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack missing their captain, top dman and start a rookie goalie .

They played a great road game, pp great.

You can't say lack of depth at centre for 67's. They won most faceoffs, and outshot the Attack by a wide margin g.

They wanted the win more today.
The 67's will be fine .

Nothing to prove b4 Christmas.

Reactions: dirty12

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

You can't say lack of depth at centre for 67's. They won most faceoffs, and outshot the Attack by a wide margin g.

The 67's will be fine .

We still have 2 overage spots which I think will probably be filled. Team will look different for sure in January when injured players return and other decisions are made.

Reactions: Millpond

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

The 67's will be fine .

I always say we should never look at games in December as a measuring stick. They are useful points in the standings but with the Holiday's fast approaching, players gone for the World Tournament and all the other distractions like exams etc, it can be a tough month for Junior aged players to stay focused.

Once the deadline passes, teams will ramp their energy levels back up and make that playoff push. That is when the measuring sticks come out.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Interesting reading from Brock Otten:

OHL Prospects: 2019 OHL Trade Deadline Preview

Including the following predictions:

Prediction: (Ryan) Cranford goes to Ottawa in exchange for SSM 3 2021, and OTT 4 2019

Prediction: (Kyle) Maksimovich goes to Ottawa in exchange for MISS 2 2019, PBO 3 2019, OTT 2 2020, OS 3 2020, KGN 2 2024

Prediction: (Nick) Suzuki goes to Ottawa in exchange for Cameron Tolnai, PBO 2 2019, OTT 2 2024, SSM 3 2021, OTT 3 2023

All plausible. The latter two interesting. Stay tuned.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Interesting reading from Brock Otten:

OHL Prospects: 2019 OHL Trade Deadline Preview

Including the following predictions:

Prediction: (Ryan) Cranford goes to Ottawa in exchange for SSM 3 2021, and OTT 4 2019

Prediction: (Kyle) Maksimovich goes to Ottawa in exchange for MISS 2 2019, PBO 3 2019, OTT 2 2020, OS 3 2020, KGN 2 2024

Prediction: (Nick) Suzuki goes to Ottawa in exchange for Cameron Tolnai, PBO 2 2019, OTT 2 2024, SSM 3 2021, OTT 3 2023

All plausible. The latter two interesting. Stay tuned.

Meh. To me, Cranford is a waste of an OA spot. If I am being real and Ottawa doesn't move a significant body, Cranford plays 4th line?

I think the posted value on Maksimovitch is slightly high.

I don't really see a need for Suzuki at all. Great kid but why waste the OA spot on Cranford and then pay through the nose for Suzuki? Wouldn't it make more sense to go after another prolific OA forward?

Reactions: sirius67fan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Meh. To me, Cranford is a waste of an OA spot. If I am being real and Ottawa doesn't move a significant body, Cranford plays 4th line?

I think the posted value on Maksimovitch is slightly high.

I don't really see a need for Suzuki at all. Great kid but why waste the OA spot on Cranford and then pay through the nose for Suzuki? Wouldn't it make more sense to go after another prolific OA forward?
I agree, Maksimovitch would be a good addition but at a slightly reduced price. Cranford is not required, so why waste our picks on an average overager. As a trading partner with Kingston I would target Neumann who would likely return as an OA next season.

As you stated the cost for Suzuki is too much to pay and is he not a mandatory addition seeing what should be available. I hope we can get a high quality OA, reduce the cost and keep Tolnai our round 1 pick this season.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I also agree about Maksimovitch. As OMG says can't see Cranford ( we can do way better), or selling the farm for Suzuki.Besides I like Tolnai despite his poor offensive stats. He'll come around and be a solid center in this league. Let's go for Saigeon or Hancock as a second OA and call it a day.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Th
I also agree about Maksimovitch. As OMG says can't see Cranford ( we can do way better), or selling the farm for Suzuki.Besides I like Tolnai despite his poor offensive stats. He'll come around and be a solid center in this league. Let's go for Saigeon or Hancock as a second OA and call it a day.

The general consensus is Hancocks stays in OS.

His return would likely be negligable for the Attack, who need 2nds and 17 yr old returns.

And he is the catylist of the Attack.

What you saw yesterday may well be the Attack post trade deadline.

Plenty good enough to guarantee 2 home playoff dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad