Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Barron is a shot a game only 16 games with 2 goals and an assist.

The question, of course, is would he get more competitive ice time if he came here.

It might be interesting.

OMG if he does come back where do you see him fitting in

I still think it is a pie in the sky scenario he returns but for the 67’s to be on record waiting for that possibility does suggest the Av’s haven’t closed that door. Usually they will tell the junior team that he won’t be back so stop calling.

To answer your question, it is tough to say. It depends on who else they acquire.

I’d have to assume when Rossi returns he will work his way back to centring Felhaber and Keating.

There’s a strong possibility that if he were to come back, no matter who they acquire, he’d be beside Chmelevski. Clark would probably be the RW on that line.

That puts Clarke on the 3rd line. So, if they acquire a centre, he plays with Clarke. But, if it is Hancock, for example, would it be insulting to essentially take the scoring leader and give him a 17 year old left over winger? Hancock would probably go with Felhaber and Keating. That would push Rossi down with Clarke. If thet is the case, would they balance out that line with Barron and leave Bitten and Clark with Chmelevski?

So many questions really. It will come down to whom they acquire at the deadline for the 3rd OA.

Something is fishy though. I really think if they are even hinting at this possibility it feels like a done deal that he is returning. He’ll play pro through the Holiday break and join the 67’s after New Years. IT is just too weird for them to even talk about it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I still think it is a pie in the sky scenario he returns but for the 67’s to be on record waiting for that possibility does suggest the Av’s haven’t closed that door. Usually they will tell the junior team that he won’t be back so stop calling.

To answer your question, it is tough to say. It depends on who else they acquire.

I’d have to assume when Rossi returns he will work his way back to centring Felhaber and Keating.

There’s a strong possibility that if he were to come back, no matter who they acquire, he’d be beside Chmelevski. Clark would probably be the RW on that line.

That puts Clarke on the 3rd line. So, if they acquire a centre, he plays with Clarke. But, if it is Hancock, for example, would it be insulting to essentially take the scoring leader and give him a 17 year old left over winger? Hancock would probably go with Felhaber and Keating. That would push Rossi down with Clarke. If thet is the case, would they balance out that line with Barron and leave Bitten and Clark with Chmelevski?

So many questions really. It will come down to whom they acquire at the deadline for the 3rd OA.

Something is fishy though. I really think if they are even hinting at this possibility it feels like a done deal that he is returning. He’ll play pro through the Holiday break and join the 67’s after New Years. IT is just too weird for them to even talk about it.

Nice little problem to have. I thought Barron was the type of player the ‘67s were targeting, and that he would seamlessly slot on the left side of Chemelvski.
If Barron is returned, would the ‘67s entertain the possibility of:
Barron-Chemelvski-Brazeau
Felhaber-Rossi-Keating

Last edited:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Should Barron return, then why not look at Neumann from Kingston and Eliot from Sarnia.

Neumann is a 19 yr. old with good numbers and we could sure use a defenseman who is a right shot that can contribute on offense.

Would be great to get Durzi or Hollowell but their is a good possibilty that they will not be available.

Just another option that could contibute to the overall team succcess.

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It would not surprise me that if and I agree it is a BIG IF Travis does come back that Boyd is finished trading.

The problem that yu have is the players that are playing now. Everyone is doing a good job including the 3rd and 4th lines.

I think that to bring in and sit some of the talented younger players are going to be a bad thing for next year. Yes I know we are talking about this year
If Barron comes back you have to send one to the stands who is it.

With Barron back we would have the size that we need we would also have 3 lines that will make a difference and a 4th line that is playing well

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
It would not surprise me that if and I agree it is a BIG IF Travis does come back that Boyd is finished trading.

The problem that yu have is the players that are playing now. Everyone is doing a good job including the 3rd and 4th lines.

I think that to bring in and sit some of the talented younger players are going to be a bad thing for next year. Yes I know we are talking about this year
If Barron comes back you have to send one to the stands who is it.

With Barron back we would have the size that we need we would also have 3 lines that will make a difference and a 4th line that is playing well
I understand what you are saying but I do not think Barron alone will put us over the top. London and Niagara are going to add every possible addition they can.

If we really want to go for it all, we better go after the best available players that can compliment our team. We also have 4 2nds. for the upcoming draft so I can see something happening.

When it comes down to it probably Tolnai and Maggio will be the odd men out. They may not be pleased but as 16 yr. olds these things unfortunately happen. They have gained valuable experience this year and would be very capable to fill in for injured players.

Reactions: sirius67fan

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
The other part that makes me hopeful for a Barron return is that they still haven't named a Captain for the team. It seems odd, and I can't think of another team that I've followed to wait this long before naming a Captain,

No matter what, this team needs to add another D for some depth. Not saying that the player needs to be a first line player, just somebody solid in case of injury at some point.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I understand what you are saying but I do not think Barron alone will put us over the top. London and Niagara are going to add every possible addition they can.

If we really want to go for it all, we better go after the best available players that can compliment our team. We also have 4 2nds. for the upcoming draft so I can see something happening.

When it comes down to it probably Tolnai and Maggio will be the odd men out. They may not be pleased but as 16 yr. olds these things unfortunately happen. They have gained valuable experience this year and would be very capable to fill in for injured players.
Wondering out loud if Boyd will use those 4 2nds for buying power this year or does he trade a couple off for future 2nds in April during the pick trade window? If not much upgrade is needed now why not trade the 2nds for further out picks and maybe gain a 3rd round pick in the deal. Gives the 67"s more currency to extend the competitive years.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is usually a duck...

1> The 67’s are still talking about Barron coming back
2> No captain named
3> Two open OA spots at Christmas
4> Barron not really producing at the AHL ever yet

As much as I still doubt he returns, there is a lot of things stacking up that would suggest he is at least a potential addition. The more this goes on the more it seems likely he returns.

Regarding 19 year olds for trade, anyone significant will have a more significant cost than an OA. We need to first know where we stand with respect to the two OA spots before we start to even discuss 19 year olds.

There is one interesting possibility no one has put forth as a theory. Boyd has said our competitive window is this year and next and that he won’t trade a skater. However, what if we were to trade for a player that would return next year? Maybe someone like Dellandrea? That is the sort of deal I could potentially see Tolnai traded for. Or, maybe a 19 year old that has virtually no chance of graduating and would return as an OA.

Keating and Wilson are the only two viable OA’s next year. Clark and Hoefenmeyer may also enter into that mix but I doubt either will be back, or at least it is very doubtful. So, we can reasonably assume we will have one OA spot available to fill next year.

So, there may be a few additional scenario’s out there that may make sense.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Keating and Wilson are the only two viable OA’s next year. Clark and Hoefenmeyer may also enter into that mix but I doubt either will be back, or at least it is very doubtful. So, we can reasonably assume we will have one OA spot available to fill next year.
Clark has signed an ELC. I would assume he would play AHL next year.
Hoefenmeyer hasn't signed an ELC. Unless that happens I would assume he is back next year.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Clark has signed an ELC. I would assume he would play AHL next year.
Hoefenmeyer hasn't signed an ELC. Unless that happens I would assume he is back next year.

Hoef was a third round NHL pick playing top pairing minutes for the top team in the league and a good character to boot. If he doesn’t sign, I and many others would be shocked.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
There is one interesting possibility no one has put forth as a theory. Boyd has said our competitive window is this year and next and that he won’t trade a skater. However, what if we were to trade for a player that would return next year? Maybe someone like Dellandrea? That is the sort of deal I could potentially see Tolnai traded for. Or, maybe a 19 year old that has virtually no chance of graduating and would return as an OA.

Not 100% sure of the trading first rounders window but if you were Tolnai (or parents/agent) would you waive your NTC to go to a dumpster fire no matter how disappointing your season has been?

Flint doesn't need picks (who won't report). They need players. If they trade Dellandrea it'll be for 2 or 3 bodies that can help right away.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not 100% sure of the trading first rounders window but if you were Tolnai (or parents/agent) would you waive your NTC to go to a dumpster fire no matter how disappointing your season has been?

Flint doesn't need picks (who won't report). They need players. If they trade Dellandrea it'll be for 2 or 3 bodies that can help right away.

OF course I wouldn’t. I actually said that in another thread with Evangelista in the same sort of deal.

That said, it doesn’t discount the possibility of a kid like Tolnai being used in a manner like that. I can’t see him go in a deal for Suzuki as a half year rental but could if the player were a two year guy, especially with what we lose after this season.

Our drafts have been strong enough to probably swallow a loss like that.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
I could see Tolnai going to Mississauga (close to home in Oakville) for Tippett (drafted by Boyd so one could assume a good relationship).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I could see Boyd not trading players from the roster because he said that is the plan. Every thing seems to be going even better than planned for the 67’s so far.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OK

Let's look at this in a reasonable light.

The decision about Barron has to be made in the next 2 weeks or Ottawa has to bite the bullet.

That being said there are a number of possibilities out there as has been pointed out.

Tolnai is not going anywhere this year. He along with Rossi and maybe more so is the future of this team. I say more than Rossi because if Rossi is a high draft pick like he is slated then i can see him making the NHL jump quick. Tonai may be a Keating and that is OK too.

Boyd is in the driver's seat. there are so many friggin teams that emptied their cupboards for a chance at the M that they are going to be grovelling for the picks

Hockypops ELC's mean shit. The only thing an ELC does is makes sure the player does not go back into the draft. They still have to have enough skill to make the team. Look at Barron and some of the others that have signed contracts not to be playing well and bounced between the A and the ECHL.
Are there players that we are going to lose Yes are there a lot of players that will be hungry next year YES.
imagine Rossi next year playing with Keating.
We are going to have a great lineup next year if we do not blow it up this year.

Being short one OA is not a bad place to be it will allow us to fill any holes that we have.

This years team is set no matter what the only thing we need is a role player. Will it be Barron or someone else I am not sure.

Am I worried about next year? ONly if Boyd does some bad acid and trades players that we have.

Reactions: bobber

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hockypops ELC's mean ****. The only thing an ELC does is makes sure the player does not go back into the draft. They still have to have enough skill to make the team. Look at Barron and some of the others that have signed contracts not to be playing well and bounced between the A and the ECHL.
Thanks for supporting my point. Signing an ELC means they will play in the 'N' 'A' or 'E' next season. Not signing one means they will be back in the draft and most likely playing in the 'O'.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Question: Is the January 10th deadline a trade deadline only or a roster freeze as well? The reason I ask is wondering if the Barron decision needs to be made by then or he could come along later if 67's keep an OA spot available.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Question: Is the January 10th deadline a trade deadline only or a roster freeze as well? The reason I ask is wondering if the Barron decision needs to be made by then or he could come along later if 67's keep an OA spot available.
Trade deadline only - you can bring in a player from your 50 man protected list up until mid February. You do need to have an available card for them.

Reactions: TheCoach

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Delete ^answered above^

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’m starting to open up regarding the trade of Tolnai this deadline. Although it isn’t ideal, I think if we look at it pragmatically, there is a scenario that does allow for it.

Tolnai will not play a significant role this season. With Rossi and Hoelscher set to play the top two centre spots next year, I would suggest Tolnai’s role would be somewhat limited next year as well. That means his real value will come as an 18-19 year old. So, really, we will eventually get two solid seasons from him.

If we open up the possibility of trading him for an 18 year old that has a high chance of returning as a 19 year old, we’d get a season and a half out of that player. Heck, if it is a somewhat undersized player, we could potentially get an OA year out of that player too.

I know I mentioned Dellandrea before and I think that is the type of player we should be looking at. I know it is doubtful Tolnai would waive his no trade to go there but it doesn’t discount the possibility of a player of that category potentially becoming available on a team Tolnai would waive to go to.

We would trade 1.5 development years and 2 productive years for a player that gives 1.5 productive years. IT really isn’t that bad of a trade off for the right player.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rangers are selling and don't look to contend next year either. Perhaps an expanded deal involving picks could be made involving 00 born Riley Damiani, the type of player you just described along with one of our Ottawa based 99's who'll be back for their OA season. Meireles or McHugh. Tolnai would come our way.

Of course the deal would involve picks as well.

Tolnai, an Oakville native, may welcome a trade closer to home. Especially once he considers where he would stand in the depth chart in Ottawa next year.

Damiani will play next year is a 19-year-old and there is an outside shot he plays an overage season as well but I don't expect him to. The kid is too good. Believe he is better than where he was selected in the NHL draft. Be getting a complete player. He is great all around centre who is putting up points this year. As well, last year he, Meireles and McHugh comprised the checking line who shut down Jordan Kyrou and Morgan Frost in the playoffs. These high scorers were virtually non existent vs this line. That's valuable come playoff time.

Last edited:

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
Ottawa should be all over Brazeau , he is in on more than half his teams goals, on pace for 70 goals, 6' 6" scoring machine, who knows what he could do with this supporting cast

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Rangers are selling and don't look to contend next year either. Perhaps an expanded deal involving picks could be made involving 00 born Riley Damiani, the type of player you just described along with one of our Ottawa based 99's who'll be back for their OA season. Meireles or McHugh. Tolnai would come our way.

Of course the deal would involve picks as well.

Tolnai, an Oakville native, may welcome a trade closer to home. Especially once he considers where he would stand in the depth chart in Ottawa next year.

Damiani will play next year is a 19-year-old and there is an outside shot he plays an overage season as well but I don't expect him to. The kid is too good. Believe he is better than where he was selected in the NHL draft. Be getting a complete player. He is great all around centre who is putting up points this year. As well, last year he, Meireles and McHugh comprised the checking line who shut down Jordan Kyrou and Morgan Frost in the playoffs. These high scorers were virtually non existent vs this line. That's valuable come playoff time.

HE is a player that fits the description. Possible OA but like you said, probably not. Either way, it wouldn’t matter too much. He isn’t quite the high profile 2000 that I was thinking but the combination of him and MEirles or McHugh would be interesting.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa should be all over Brazeau , he is in on more than half his teams goals, on pace for 70 goals, 6' 6" scoring machine, who knows what he could do with this supporting cast

I haven’t had an opportunity to really watch Brazeau much. I know he is putting up points but with his size he may not be the right fit. Butler plays a slow dump and chase type of game with heavy work along the boards. That suits a player like Brazeau. The 67’s play more of a free flowing speed game. I am not sure if Brazeau would be a fit for that style.

MAybe someone more familir with Brazeau’s skating and overall speed could chime in on whether he would fit a speed type game from a perspective of net presence.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I haven’t had an opportunity to really watch Brazeau much. I know he is putting up points but with his size he may not be the right fit. Butler plays a slow dump and chase type of game with heavy work along the boards. That suits a player like Brazeau. The 67’s play more of a free flowing speed game. I am not sure if Brazeau would be a fit for that style.

MAybe someone more familir with Brazeau’s skating and overall speed could chime in on whether he would fit a speed type game from a perspective of net presence.

Haven't seen much of Brazeau. But NB was at the Aud a few weeks ago and the Damiani, Meireles, McHugh shut down line shut him down period. He got nothing vs that line. The one goal Brazesu did get in the game was when our rookie line got caught out on an icing.

Brazeau has impressive size and can shoot, but the wheels are lacking. If it's wheels your looking for, our shutdown line has it in spades. All three have wheels , varying levels of grit, great 200 foot games, all PPG players and have experience going deep in the post season. No perimeter players on this line. All go to the dirty areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad