Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Let’s get some OA players in here soon , enough with the preseason roster.
Agreed would be nice to get help now but it takes two to trade. I'm sure Boyd has been trying but teams are probably waiting closer to deadline to decide if unloading or not and/or try to get a better return. That strategy could be risky this year as might be a buyer's market.

Reactions: LDN

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I see my post got erased. Sensitive eyes on this board? Anyway as I was saying after last night and Ottawa's inability to take out a very weak Quebec league team, I can't see the 67's with the horses to make a serious run for the OHL Finals. Would probably get taken down by the Ice Dogs or Kitchener. And if left standing, London is my pick as OHL champs.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
I see my post got erased. Sensitive eyes on this board? Anyway as I was saying after last night and Ottawa's inability to take out a very weak Quebec league team, I can't see the 67's with the horses to make a serious run for the OHL Finals. Would probably get taken down by the Ice Dogs or Kitchener. And if left standing, London is my pick as OHL champs.
Explain to me how Kitchener could take down Ottawa, when you call London to win the OHL? Both West division teams. You people gotta relax . It was one game.lol

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

A single 2-1 loss, after a string of 20 plus games without a loss in regulation, is the best way to access a team's chance for future success. You, Sir, are clearly a genius.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Ottawa has a very thin lineup at the moment. The 4th. line consists of 2 players who never played in the league prior to last night plus a 16 year old defenseman. The 3rd. line consist of 2 16 year olds and a defensive minded winger. The top 2 lines are a mixture of what we have left.

They still almost managed to pull out a win but the Gatineau goalie was really on his game.

It will be like this until at least some time in Jannuary or until we fill our overage spots.

Make sure you know the facts when you make this statement. Ottawa has options that will be used in the future. 1 game loss is not a complete disaster considering our injuries.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Explain to me how Kitchener could take down Ottawa, when you call London to win the OHL? Both West division teams. You people gotta relax . It was one game.lol
I said Kitchener could probably take out Ottawa in a 7-game series. Never said the Rangers would win the OHL Title. London IS the team to beat. Too much talent up front and they can roll 4 lines! 67's are soft!

Reactions: TheCoach

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
A single 2-1 loss, after a string of 20 plus games without a loss in regulation, is the best way to access a team's chance for future success. You, Sir, are clearly a genius.
You lost against a very bad team with a mediocre goalie at best. It's the first half of the season, teams get better as the season goes. Ottawa has already peaked.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You lost against a very bad team with a mediocre goalie at best. It's the first half of the season, teams get better as the season goes. Ottawa has already peaked.

(minimum) ‘67s will have DiPietro taking the larger share of a G rotation, have added two OAs and get Rossi back by the trade deadline. Not many teams will improve as much as the ‘67s.

Sep 24, 2018
Clearly obvious to all that this team in its current configuration would fail in the playoffs with a few injuries.
I’m sure the hickey minds of this team know that they need 2 strong forwards to add to this group as insurance and to also lift the talent level of this team.
We are currently a mediocre team until we get the bodies back from the injuries.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Clearly obvious to all that this team in its current configuration would fail in the playoffs with a few injuries.
I’m sure the hickey minds of this team know that they need 2 strong forwards to add to this group as insurance and to also lift the talent level of this team.
We are currently a mediocre team until we get the bodies back from the injuries.

Not many teams can remain uber competitive with that many bodies lost.

The reality is, I don’t care what they do now. This point in the season is virtually meaningless. IT is the finish that matters now. The games between now and the end of the WJHC have meaning for standings only. They do not tell the tail of anything other than standings. Our team will be short and other teams will be short. The measuring sticks are gone for about a month.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Every single team will struggle if you take out 3 of their top 9 forwards.

Right now the 67s just need to get through the next month or so without losing any more players and bag as many points as they can. Once the calendar flips to 2019, they'll get Chmelevski and Dipietro back from the WJC, Rossi and the Clarkes back from injury, and probably acquire player or two in trades. That's when we'll see, for the first time, the real 67s.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Only blemish is injury to Belanger, looked like a separated shoulder. Too bad he played quite well as a forward. I like this kid, very talented.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
nice crowd today around 5000 I hope most will come back. well that's one cup down

Probably not as you can imagine most of those extra fans were from Gatineau

This team is short a couple of role players.

I still would like to see a platoon of goalies but also think we need a player that will not only take a hit but can dish it out.
In the playoffs you are going to see teams key on Rossi and Sasha with the big hits.

It is not so much to injure but to wear them down. We need a player that can go out and either do the same to their ace or can protect ours.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Probably not as you can imagine most of those extra fans were from Gatineau

This team is short a couple of role players.

I still would like to see a platoon of goalies but also think we need a player that will not only take a hit but can dish it out.
In the playoffs you are going to see teams key on Rossi and Sasha with the big hits.

It is not so much to injure but to wear them down. We need a player that can go out and either do the same to their ace or can protect ours.

A few notes on the above:

1> You can't hit what you can't catch. I don't think many will be able to line up Rossi. Maybe Chmelevski but he doesn't play the type of game that allows for him to get caught unless it is a dirty hit.
2> The acquisition of DiPietro could potentially be a bonus for the organization. If he is the starter for Team Canada and they win Gold, that would be a big bonus for the 67's because they will finally have a marketable player.
3> I don't think we are short role players. I think we already have "today's game" role players. We have guys that can contribute offensively that also control the play on the defensive side. Guys like Bitten and Hoelscher are solid in that department and Chmelevski is also pretty solid in the back zone. Of course a guy lke Saigeon would add some grit but the flat out fighter types are dinosaurs now. Adding a guy that plays a role that can't score is almost useless now.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Careful troll. I'll be putting crow on the open fire for you.

I think the current 67's team has peaked. I agree with Zod.

Where I disagree is this team has not added anything of consequence yet. Sure, we added DiPietro and he played today but he will now be gone for a month so we don't really add his services until he is back.

It is hard not to be considered as peaked when a team doesn't lose a game in regulation for 23 games and then loses a game. Clearly that one loss is a considerable step backward so technically he is correct. In a 23 game stretch we missed out on 4 points and then missed out on two points in one game...

We'll see what the 67's add for experience. We have won a lot of one goal games which is good but this team should be able to bury a lot more teams on a regular basis. Andree has had a significantly good first half. If he was just average, we wouldn't be in the position we are in. The team does need to play better overall if we want to win a championship. No disrespect intended, just honest criticism.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
The suggestion that this team has peaked is absolutely absurd. They lost one game in regulation in twenty odd games. One game! Sample size gentlemen. That one loss was against a very hot goaltender, which is part of the reason hockey teams play 7-game series to decide a winner. It's not the NFL where you play a one-game Conference Championship and a one-game Super Bowl.

If Ottawa were to play a 7-game series against Gatineau, admittedly a lower half team in the Q, they would likely win 4 games to 1. And that's with this present lineup which is missing Rossi and the Clark(e)s. Rossi and the Clark(e)s represent nearly 1.5 goals per game. They will be back. That production will return to the lineup.

Of course the 67's have to "play better overall if (they) want to win a championship". It's December. They just went 23 games without a loss in regulation. Then lost one game. One. Even though I despise the phrase, 'if the playoffs were to start tomorrow', Ottawa would host Barrie, a .500 team. Let's say Ottawa beats Barrie 4 games to 1. Seems a likely scenario. Does that one loss mean Ottawa has peaked?

This team, in my humble opinion (it's the only one I have), is on a long, evenly paced, potential championship trajectory. There will be bumps and bruises along the way (did you really think they were going to 'run the table'!?). Significant contributors will miss games and new faces will be given the opportunity to show they can possibly contribute in the future. The GM and his HC will sit back and patiently access. They have OA spots to fill and draft capital to spend. They will add the pieces they believe will enhance the lineup on their own timetable. There's no reason for them to rush. The one coveted piece available they already got. Other pieces will become available before the trade deadline. There's no 'must-have' players out there. It's such a luxury for a team to be in this position. The idea that this team has peaked is, quite simply, ridiculous.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The suggestion that this team has peaked is absolutely absurd. They lost one game in regulation in twenty odd games. One game! Sample size gentlemen. That one loss was against a very hot goaltender, which is part of the reason hockey teams play 7-game series to decide a winner. It's not the NFL where you play a one-game Conference Championship and a one-game Super Bowl.

If Ottawa were to play a 7-game series against Gatineau, admittedly a lower half team in the Q, they would likely win 4 games to 1. And that's with this present lineup which is missing Rossi and the Clark(e)s. Rossi and the Clark(e)s represent nearly 1.5 goals per game. They will be back. That production will return to the lineup.

Of course the 67's have to "play better overall if (they) want to win a championship". It's December. They just went 23 games without a loss in regulation. Then lost one game. One. Even though I despise the phrase, 'if the playoffs were to start tomorrow', Ottawa would host Barrie, a .500 team. Let's say Ottawa beats Barrie 4 games to 1. Seems a likely scenario. Does that one loss mean Ottawa has peaked?

This team, in my humble opinion (it's the only one I have), is on a long, evenly paced, potential championship trajectory. There will be bumps and bruises along the way (did you really think they were going to 'run the table'!?). Significant contributors will miss games and new faces will be given the opportunity to show they can possibly contribute in the future. The GM and his HC will sit back and patiently access. They have OA spots to fill and draft capital to spend. They will add the pieces they believe will enhance the lineup on their own timetable. There's no reason for them to rush. The one coveted piece available they already got. Other pieces will become available before the trade deadline. There's no 'must-have' players out there. It's such a luxury for a team to be in this position. The idea that this team has peaked is, quite simply, ridiculous.

The team, as it currently sits, has peaked. That doesn't mean they can't continue to operate at this level.

We went 23 games and lost 4 points. It we haven't peaked it means we will go the next 23 losing less than 4 points. By definition, if this team doesn't do better than losing 4 points in 23 games, we have already had our best stretch of the season.

Clearly I am tongue in cheek here but technically Zod is correct. I've just decided to poke fun at his assertion by agreeing and slanting it differently.

This team will add a player or two and it will then be a different team. But make no mistake, other teams will improve as well and if the 67s decide to stand pat, those other teams will catch up talent wise. It will be more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->