Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good effort shorthanded in a third game in 3 days. Want to point to Andree's solid performance, great kid taking the acquisition of Mikey in stride. After years of so so tenders we have two great ones! I can stop dreaming of Mrazek now.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Good effort shorthanded in a third game in 3 days. Want to point to Andree's solid performance, great kid taking the acquisition of Mikey in stride. After years of so so tenders we have two great ones! I can stop dreaming of Mrazek now.
It is awesome to have great goaltending. The foundation.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
You think Ottawa brass will be making an offer for Sean Durzi? I know he's been out for a bit with an injury but he's a right shot and has great vision from the back end. Also scored 15 goals last season in 40 games. I feel like he could be a player that could potentially put Ottawa over the top.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
You think Ottawa brass will be making an offer for Sean Durzi? I know he's been out for a bit with an injury but he's a right shot and has great vision from the back end. Also scored 15 goals last season in 40 games. I feel like he could be a player that could potentially put Ottawa over the top.
Possibly he is a great player and does bring another dimension as an offensive D. Myself I would prefer adding two OA forwards but others on this board, namely OMG, have been clamouring for a player of that type. They might be right but I think our D is just fine. Hoefenmayer is having a good year offensively and all our D recently except Wilson (solid stay at home D) have shown the ability to move the puck. So if we get Durzi who do we sit...Peric? So we do substract, but we have room for two forwards! That being said I'm not so sure OS should sell after handling London, you might be one goalie away from doing damage?

Jack Attack

Mar 19, 2016
Hancock is an amazing and underated player. Just because the Attack beat London once doesn't mean they shouldn't sell. They were heavily outshot and Kooy had a bad game.
Yes, the Attack are one goalie away from being a really good team but they don't have the assets/picks to get a good goalie. They have no 2nd rd picks for several years. Sucks that this is the way it is with some of the great players they have but if they dont sell they will likely be the lowest scoring team next year as most of their offense is Suzuki and Hancock (and their 2nd rd pick from this year is committed to US).

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
You lost against a very bad team with a mediocre goalie at best. It's the first half of the season, teams get better as the season goes. Ottawa has already peaked.
Was checking out the 67's board and this post jumped out. Last year Hamilton lost a game to Flint, of all teams. Doesn't mean they peaked at that point. They also lost 10-0 to Soo after beating them 5-2 the weekend prior in the regular season, and they never had a regulation win against Niagara all season, while Niagara earned a point in every game. All of this meant nothing going into the playoffs. A lot of people also expected a Kingston/Barrie eastern conference finals. To say the least, they looked good on paper but were still underestimated because of a few poor results that some people handpicked for excuses of why Hamilton would underperform. It's too easy for people to predict that ___ team will choke... because each team technically only has a 1:10 chance of winning their conference, and 1:20 odds of winning the league.

Ottawa has a huge opportunity here and can be serious contenders. As an outsider, I think they already are serious contenders but could use some more firepower and depth up front and depth on D. The 67's cupboards of assets is probably the largest any team has available, and I wouldn't expect the 67's to exhaust all picks. DiPietro alone can be a difference maker and steal games. He did it many times last season, and had done a phenomenal job in Windsor. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what the 67's do in the next few weeks. I wish the 67's and their fans good luck while they aim for a championship this season.

Reactions: 1967

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
So am I right to think the 67's have 9 solidified forwards when healthy? Rossi, Felhaber, Keating, Chmelevski, Clark, Clarke, Quinn, Bitten, Hoelscher? So via trade we are looking to add one or two?

Then 5 solidified D? Hoefenmayer, Bahl, Rippon, Wilson, Okhotyuk. So looking to add one?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
So am I right to think the 67's have 9 solidified forwards when healthy? Rossi, Felhaber, Keating, Chmelevski, Clark, Clarke, Quinn, Bitten, Hoelscher? So via trade we are looking to add one or two?

Then 5 solidified D? Hoefenmayer, Bahl, Rippon, Wilson, Okhotyuk. So looking to add one?

On D, Lucas Peric has been very good all year in the team's third pairing and Alec Belanger has looked good as a 16 year old in his short bursts. That being said, if they can add a Sean Durzi/Jordan Sambrook type of player, they should.

At F, Quinn Yule has been a good contributor in a limited role and should continue to have a role as a tough, physical forechecker. Matt Maggio has shown well in some limited opportunities and Cam Tolnai has certainly progressed. If the team can add a high impact player as well as a good third line penalty killer, they would be fully set.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Hancock is an amazing and underated player. Just because the Attack beat London once doesn't mean they shouldn't sell. They were heavily outshot and Kooy had a bad game.
Yes, the Attack are one goalie away from being a really good team but they don't have the assets/picks to get a good goalie. They have no 2nd rd picks for several years. Sucks that this is the way it is with some of the great players they have but if they dont sell they will likely be the lowest scoring team next year as most of their offense is Suzuki and Hancock (and their 2nd rd pick from this year is committed to US).

2nd round picks are overvalued (especially in the next draft). 25% of the 2015 2nd round is not playing in the OHL. Players are more valuable. If 67's wont move players as they stated, why trade with them. If +20% of second rounders are not even in the league 3 or 4 years after and its thin draft why? 67's should keep the picks and will be strong for a number of years going forward. Should not give it all up for one shot. Don't need much more.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I would be surprised if Ottawa makes a trade this week. I think the issue is not that we do not know what we want. it is that
a.some of the sellers are not sure if they are
b. those that are looking to see what they can get and fielding offers

The kid of players that we are looking for are also the players that London and other teams will be looking at

personally I am looking for the hard hitting forward that will be most effective in the playoffs.

Finese does not with playoffs hitting and defence wins.

Who can stay the healthiest

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can you not call up players.

Someone can correct me on the actual finer points of this but my understanding is there are two types of cards:
1> Full
2> Developmental

You only get something like 30 full cards. Once you have exhausted those cards, you cannot add to your roster.

Developmental cards are usually assigned to players you have drafted but don’t intend to use. I believe there is a rule that allows a team to call up those players during the Christmas holiday’s window. I am not sure what the start date of that window is.

So, as of right now, i don’t believe the 67’s can “call anyone up’ as they don’t have signed player occupying a player card outside of Belanger and Crete. I guess JEsse Dick is one they just signed last week.

I think as soon as the players come back after Christmas, they can bring up drafted players on developmental cards to help fill empty roster spots and take a look at them.

Again, I am not 100% sure of all the rules around this but I think I have it right in the broad strokes.

Reactions: three dog night

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
London says they don't need Nick Suzuki so could he be Ottawa bound? Possibly along with Markus Phillip's?

What would be going to Owen Sound for these 2?

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Someone can correct me on the actual finer points of this but my understanding is there are two types of cards:
1> Full
2> Developmental

You only get something like 30 full cards. Once you have exhausted those cards, you cannot add to your roster.

Developmental cards are usually assigned to players you have drafted but don’t intend to use. I believe there is a rule that allows a team to call up those players during the Christmas holiday’s window. I am not sure what the start date of that window is.

So, as of right now, i don’t believe the 67’s can “call anyone up’ as they don’t have signed player occupying a player card outside of Belanger and Crete. I guess JEsse Dick is one they just signed last week.

I think as soon as the players come back after Christmas, they can bring up drafted players on developmental cards to help fill empty roster spots and take a look at them.

Again, I am not 100% sure of all the rules around this but I think I have it right in the broad strokes.

Not sure about the 'card' rule but any player who shows up on a gamesheet loses his NCAA eligibility. No player with any kind of advice (parents, agent or both) is going to give up their eligibility for the chance to play a game or two. Most players these days, save for the ridiculously eager and uninformed, won't even give up college eligibility for the standard one-for-one (one year of school paid for each year of service). Most players will hold out for two-for-one or three-for-one or even full four-year deals. Keep in mind the second "one" (i.e. service) is one game (pre- or regular-season or playfoff) on a gamesheet.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
And whatever the card rule is, the London thread suggests they have only two left and we know paying for extra school tuition isn't a problem for them!

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
And whatever the card rule is, the London thread suggests they have only two left and we know paying for extra school tuition isn't a problem for them!

London high-school age players attend Blyth Academy. Ottawa players do also if not mistaken?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
London high-school age players attend Blyth Academy. Ottawa players do also if not mistaken?

I believe ETA was more referring to additional inclusion above the minimum for scholarship packages. There is a maximum for the full gold packages but some teams have the resources to be a little more liberal with the additional inclusions.

Regarding Blyth, there is probably a discount of some sort for the 67's players as they advertise in the rink for that school. So, there must be some sort of contra trade involved. I doubt the 67's are paying for the full ride scholarship.

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
I believe ETA was more referring to additional inclusion above the minimum for scholarship packages. There is a maximum for the full gold packages but some teams have the resources to be a little more liberal with the additional inclusions.

Regarding Blyth, there is probably a discount of some sort for the 67's players as they advertise in the rink for that school. So, there must be some sort of contra trade involved. I doubt the 67's are paying for the full ride scholarship.

Yes, I'm aware of the gold package system...and although 'some teams' have the resources to be liberal with extra inclusions for the other scholarships, I wouldn't make the assumption London is doing that. First of all, they don't need to and secondly, the Hunters are tight with the dollar.

As for the Blyth Academy, I believe the Knights probably have a similar arrangement... .paying discounted tuition in exchange for promoting Blyth.

Last edited:

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Slowpace, as OMG points out, you missed my point. which was...

Almost nobody, save for the desperate and/or uninformed signs a "one-for-one" school package anymore. I'm not talking about 'add-ons' to make it similar to a gold package or anything they provide for during the high school years. I'm saying Player X, drafted in the 4th round (for example) is not signing a one-for-one. Maybe he was a 2nd round talent that told prospective GMs that he had NCAA interest in order to 'fall' to a more preferable situation. Maybe he had a 95% average in school in his draft year. Nobody but the principles (not principals) know for sure.

First rounders get Gold Packages. Second rounders get equivalent to Gold Package. Third/Fourth rounders, depending on their showing in camp, get two-for-ones or, more likely, three-for-ones (and some get four-for-ones!). Not counting goalies, Ottawa's current roster has 4 players drafted later than the 3rd round. If you think Bitten, Clark, Maggio or Yule gave up their NCAA eligibility for a 1-year, $12,000 conditional scholarship at a Canadian university, you'd be very mistaken.

And to your other point, yes, the more affluent clubs have way more flexibility to do this. And, contrary to your notion, London is the king of it. Remember, one night of London gate receipts is equal to that of Flint, Mississauga, North Bay and Peterborough COMBINED. Multiply that by 34 homes dates + playoffs + merchandise and you have financial clout. Ever wonder why clubs like Flint, Mississauga (unless the player is from the GTA), North Bay and Peterborough have trouble getting players to report? One, they're often not very good and, two, they often lack the resources to attract players with NCAA interest who refuse to sign for 'minimum wage' (i.e. one-for-one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->