Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
Just łooking up waiver eligibility looks like Dzingelast and Mcormick do not need to clear waivers this coming season whereas Puemple and Robinson do.

Can anyone confirm?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I know not many people share this opinion, but I think that Lazar becomes that dependable 3rd line RW next year.

I still think he's going to eventually be a real good player for us, and gets written off far to quickly sometimes. He has looked lost for sure at times, especially offensively, but he was mishandled by Cameron.

I'm sorta afraid we Kyle Chipchura'd or Gilbert Brulé'd Lazar in terms of bringing him into the NHL too early so he was never able to develop his offensive game.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm sorta afraid we Kyle Chipchura'd or Gilbert Brulé'd Lazar in terms of bringing him into the NHL too early so he was never able to develop his offensive game.

Its definitely a real concern. But having said that, I dont think that Chipchura ever had the same pedigree that Lazar does (he never had a dominant junior year like Lazar did after being drafted), and his career high in the NHL at age 27 was 20pts, which Lazar has already matched at the tender age of 20. Brule probably had higher ceiling at one point, but he always had that bust potential, and he didnt have the same tools to play in the bottom 6 that Lazar does.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Its definitely a real concern. But having said that, I dont think that Chipchura ever had the same pedigree that Lazar does (he never had a dominant junior year like Lazar did after being drafted), and his career high in the NHL at age 27 was 20pts, which Lazar has already matched at the tender age of 20. Brule probably had higher ceiling at one point, but he always had that bust potential, and he didnt have the same tools to play in the bottom 6 that Lazar does.

If Lazar ends up being a solid 2way third liner that can play center or wing and ups his intensity when the games intensify . . that's an important player, the kind teams that win have rounding out the roster.

He's already looking like he'll be that kinda guy imo.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I think so too, Lazar could have an opportunity to play RW in the top 9 next season or 4th line centre if he would prefer to play centre. Either way works with the Sens but that could give Chiasson another opportunity to play in the top 9 too if Lazar stays at centre. I think Lazar going into his 3rd season needs to take that next step & start producing offensively, hopefully he will be placed on a scoring line where he will have the opportunities to produce consistently.

I wonder if Dorion decides to keep Puempel & Robinson to start the season rather than place either on waivers & Claesson on defence.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think so too, Lazar could have an opportunity to play RW in the top 9 next season or 4th line centre if he would prefer to play centre. Either way works with the Sens but that could give Chiasson another opportunity to play in the top 9 too if Lazar stays at centre. I think Lazar going into his 3rd season needs to take that next step & start producing offensively, hopefully he will be placed on a scoring line where he will have the opportunities to produce consistently.

I wonder if Dorion decides to keep Puempel & Robinson to start the season rather than place either on waivers & Claesson on defence.
Paul/Zib/Lazar ,big physical shut down line

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Paul/Zib/Lazar ,big physical shut down line

Good line but I'm not sure I want three centres on the same line. This would be my starting lineup for next season. I would sign UFA Matt Martin who would be affordable if he became available, as our 4th line LW & have Paul start in Bingo. Switching Stone & Chiasson might balance the lines a little better.

2. Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
2. MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
2. Puempel - Lazar - Chiasson
4. Paul - Smith - Robinson/Neil

1. Methot - Karlsson
2. Phaneuf - Ceci
3. Boroweicki - Wideman/Claesson

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Good line but I'm not sure I want three centres on the same line. This would be my starting lineup for next season. I would sign UFA Matt Martin who would be affordable if he became available, as our 4th line LW & have Paul start in Bingo. Switching Stone & Chiasson might balance the lines a little better.

2. Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
2. MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
2. Puempel - Lazar - Chiasson
4. Paul - Smith - Robinson/Neil

1. Methot - Karlsson
2. Phaneuf - Ceci
3. Boroweicki - Wideman/Claesson

What happened to pageau? Why are we resigning Chiasson?

Also I have to ask in your lineup are you really saying puempel-lazar-chiasson is equal to a 2nd line?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Also, if you're signing Martin, why is he not in the lineup?

Puempel Lazar Chiasson? That line will combine for what? 10 goals?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Puempel Lazar Chiasson? That line will combine for what? 10 goals?

Hey, if all three suddenly become what people were hoping they'd be at this stage in their respective careers, then suddenly we've got the best 3rd line in hockey!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If Chiasson comes back I'm gonna find Dorion and kick him in the balls

What if he comes back as a 15-goal scorer?

I'd be OK with that. He's not a good player, but if he could get to 15, he'd be good enough to justify his small-ish salary ($1.2ish mil) and play in the bottom 6 for a few more years provided his salary continues to be low.

I'm not holding my breath, but crazier things have happened. He's a better defensive player at this point than he was at any point in Dallas. Maybe Boucher can work some magic on the guy?

If he can improve, there's a spot on the 4th line for him. He does the physical work at least. That's not good enough for right now, but it might be good enough if he can get 30 points on the regular out of a support role. I'm not counting on it, but I could see it.

*EDIT*
Obviously, 2CHAINZ and I are sharing a deep bond at the moment.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Legit question...
I'm looking at the top end talent, defense corps, goaltending and depth of the 4 teams in the 3rd round. Is anyone intimidated by these teams? Is the there any reason why Ottawa couldn't get there? I'm only jealous of about 3 players, otherwise I just see them playing infinitely better as a team than the Senators do.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot

I'd be OK with that. He's not a good player, but if he could get to 15, he'd be good enough to justify his small-ish salary ($1.2ish mil) and play in the bottom 6 for a few more years provided his salary continues to be low.

I'm not holding my breath, but crazier things have happened. He's a better defensive player at this point than he was at any point in Dallas. Maybe Boucher can work some magic on the guy?

If he can improve, there's a spot on the 4th line for him. He does the physical work at least. That's not good enough for right now, but it might be good enough if he can get 30 points on the regular out of a support role. I'm not counting on it, but I could see it.

Enter Z.Smith name and bang on after this year right?

But really, Chiasson's offensive upside seem no nearly as legit. And honestly for his size, his physical work should be much more....

If Dorion doesn't re-up him whatever...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Enter Z.Smith name and bang on after this year right?

But really, Chiasson's offensive upside seem no nearly as legit. And honestly for his size, his physical work should be much more....

If Dorion doesn't re-up him whatever...

Yeah, I mean, if Dorion walks away this summer, I'm totally fine. Honestly, I don't think he'll let Chiasson walk, but that's just me. Chia will get offered the minimum qualifying offer, and he'll take it.

I'm just saying I'll give Chia like half a season under Boucher before 100% writing him off.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Legit question...
I'm looking at the top end talent, defense corps, goaltending and depth of the 4 teams in the 3rd round. Is anyone intimidated by these teams? Is the there any reason why Ottawa couldn't get there? I'm only jealous of about 3 players, otherwise I just see them playing infinitely better as a team than the Senators do.
Same ,Ottawa if we can finally stay healthy, and have a coach that can implement a solid structure.Ottawa can hang with almost any team:nod:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I mean, if Dorion walks away this summer, I'm totally fine. Honestly, I don't think he'll let Chiasson walk, but that's just me. Chia will get offered the minimum qualifying offer, and he'll take it.

I'm just saying I'll give Chia like half a season under Boucher before 100% writing him off.

certainly worth considering. Chiasson isn't really hurting us for all the complaining he gets (well, except on the PK, I hate him on the PK). And, at 25 yrs old, there have been a few players take a step forward in development; Read didn't play an NHL game until 25, Giordano didn't establish himself as an NHL regular until 26, Hudler didn't really establish himself until 24-25.

The risk involved in re-signing Chiasson is pretty close to nothing, and maybe a new coach can unlock some potential in him. If not, no big loss.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
What if he comes back and scores 15 - 20 ? Does Dorion get to kick you you in the balls 15 -20 times ?

*EDIT*
Obviously, 2CHAINZ and I are sharing a deep bond at the moment.

What exactly about Chiasson's season last year makes you think that's a possibility?

Serious question, not being facetious.

Neil had one less point...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What exactly about Chiasson's season last year makes you think that's a possibility?

Not much about last season, but if you look at the two seasons before last, there's a glimmer of hope. One season should not define any player, good or bad.

Also: Dave Cameron's inability to coach at this level. I'm willing to give a certain number of mulligans to guys based on Cameron's complete and total lack of a system or any cohesive development from the coaching staff.

Like I said, I don't think there's a superstar waiting in the shadows here or anything, but I don't think "30 point mucker" is out of Chiasson's reach. I'm not super confident he'll get there, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
id rather sign let chiasson go and sign a cheap preferably vet 4th liner.

Chiasson is too in between. Not very skilled, not very tough, not very hard to play against. Can't be counted on to win a shift when hes on the ice

It might be a good thing to bring in some outside blood too

Maybe Gordon, D.Jones, Eaves, Bernier, Weise, Upshall

In the end though its not chiasson that makes or breaks this team..although it does hurt this team quite a lot more then it should when hes on the pp and pk

Last edited:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Serious question, not being facetious.

Neil had one less point...

I once saw an Asian guy hook up with a black girl. Anything is possible man.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Not much about last season, but if you look at the two seasons before last, there's a glimmer of hope. One season should not define any player, good or bad.

Also: Dave Cameron's inability to coach at this level. I'm willing to give a certain number of mulligans to guys based on Cameron's complete and total lack of a system or any cohesive development from the coaching staff.

Like I said, I don't think there's a superstar waiting in the shadows here or anything, but I don't think "30 point mucker" is out of Chiasson's reach. I'm not super confident he'll get there, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

It isn't his lack of production. It was just his skills. Maybe he was playing the whole season with no confidence? But he just didnt seem to knwo what to do when he got the puck and that troubles me.

If he comes back around his current cap hit then whatever, I'm not going to ***** and cry. We're thin at RW.

More troubling the situation is if he and Neil are both dressed. Should be one or the other.

I once saw an Asian guy hook up with a black girl. Anything is possible man.

This is a good point.

I retract my comment! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad