Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Really?

I wasn't aware of that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is true though. NCAA has some draconian rules regarding their "student" athletes.

I will admit that I find it a bit unnerving that White has not yet signed with the Sens, but it's not worth worrying about yet. There's still plenty of time before he becomes a UFA.

If he signed an ELC with the Sens, would it void his eligibility for NCAA? Again, I don't know exactly how this works.

Yes. That's a big no-no. Anything to do with a professional organization (gratuities, lodging, meals, money, etc.) and ANY kind of compensation voids his NCAA eligibility.

I mean, if White were to play in an exhibition game in August with the Bathurst Titan, he would lose his eligibility.

Him not signing, as a 19 year old, is not worrying, at all. It's par the course.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes sir.....and my hunch is fueled a little of what he posted about our team before we drafted him .Also its not that uncommon for an American not to want to play in Canada .As for the injury ,i had already stated i understood that may have been a reason for his lack of actual attendence in anything on ice related.

But you also have to wonder why we wouldnt be trying to sign a kid that just went over a ppg as a freshman,and looks as ready as ever to actually cracking our squad.Or playing in the ahl for a season

Well, injuries and the NCAA, which you seemed to forget. How many guys can you name drafted by a Canadian team that refused to sign with the team because they were in Canada, which you seem to imply is commonplace?

You mean like Patrick Wiercoich?

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
Yes sir.....and my hunch is fueled a little of what he posted about our team before we drafted him .Also its not that uncommon for an American not to want to play in Canada .As for the injury ,i had already stated i understood that may have been a reason for his lack of actual attendence in anything on ice related.

But you also have to wonder why we wouldnt be trying to sign a kid that just went over a ppg as a freshman,and looks as ready as ever to actually cracking our squad.Or playing in the ahl for a season

White slowed down significantly last year as the year went on. Although it has been mentioned he was injured, Ottawa probably also wants to see him play a full healthy season (something he hasn't done in a while). I'd rather see him play a full healthy season in ncaa, where he is strong start to finish, instead of playing in Ottawa or Bingo, where he might struggle with fatigue and such with a 60+ game schedule.

If he the decision between all parties involved was made that he it is best to stay at ncaa for another year, means he might also not be mentally ready to play that much in a year or he might not feel ready for the NHL or AHL. He (or the sens) could also feel he has untapped potential to hit that he can only get to through dominating a league as the go to guy in all situations, something that is extremely hard to do as a freshman.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well, injuries and the NCAA, which you seemed to forget.

You mean like Patrick Wiercoich?
Sure, he would be one.He has had a checkered career for sure .But iam rather certain he probably has enough money to go back to school if he wanted too.Like i have said repeatedly i hope iam wrong about this kid ,but i dont think iam .Time will tell i suppose

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sure, he would be one.He has had a checkered career for sure .But iam rather certain he probably has enough money to go back to school if he wanted too.Like i have said repeatedly i hope iam wrong about this kid ,but i dont think iam .Time will tell i suppose

No, Wiercioch wasn't one.......

He put up a PPG in his Freshman season, and we never signed him until after his second season, something you are questioning with White now.

I definitely don't trust your gut, time certainly will tell.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No, Wiercioch wasn't one.......

He put up a PPG in his Freshman season, and we never signed him until after his second season, something you are questioning with White now.

I definitely don't trust your gut, time certainly will tell.
That,s fine ,i didnt say anybody has to trust anything .Its my opinion,there is some logic behind it whether you choose to see it or not is entirely your choice

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yep ,getting an education is important so he can get a good job that will pay him...He has a chance to make big dollars at a young age .Its not as if he wont have enough money after signing his elc .That he couldnt go back to school,if hockey doenst work out .But what if he has a career ending injury ,without a contract ??

If he were to sign an ELC right now, he could guarantee himself around 300k in signing bonuses, plus his AHL salary (I think, I'm not sure the signing bonus just means he gets that portion of his AHL salary right away) assuming that's were he's injured. You're right that that's more money than if he plays in college, but I highly doubt players go around signing contracts that may not be in their best interest just because they're afraid of getting injured, so I doubt he lets the fear of a career ending injury in college hockey come into his decision making process all that much.

The kid chose the college route prior to being drafted. He obviously sees value in being there. He also may feel he "owes" his team another year. Staying in Boston is not wasting a year to him, nor is it wasting a year to us. There is no rush to get him over here.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Yes sir.....and my hunch is fueled a little of what he posted about our team before we drafted him

Huh?? Did he say something about Ottawa (negatively) after he was drafted?? I missed that if he did.

Either way, Im really not worried about it myself. The situation makes total sense for everyone. If he goes back to college for a 3rd year, then we need to start worrying big time.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Huh?? Did he say something about Ottawa (negatively) after he was drafted?? I missed that if he did.

Either way, Im really not worried about it myself. The situation makes total sense for everyone. If he goes back to college for a 3rd year, then we need to start worrying big time.
Before he was drafted by us

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He was a Pittsburgh fan and made a comment during the playoff series vs. the Sens, as a 14-15 year old....\

Exactly, him going back for his 2nd season is commonplace. Actually, more than commonplace.

If he goes back next year we are in trouble, then we can start the conspiracy theories.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If he were to sign an ELC right now, he could guarantee himself around 300k in signing bonuses, plus his AHL salary (I think, I'm not sure the signing bonus just means he gets that portion of his AHL salary right away) assuming that's were he's injured. You're right that that's more money than if he plays in college, but I highly doubt players go around signing contracts that may not be in their best interest just because they're afraid of getting injured, so I doubt he lets the fear of a career ending injury in college hockey come into his decision making process all that much.

The kid chose the college route prior to being drafted. He obviously sees value in being there. He also may feel he "owes" his team another year. Staying in Boston is not wasting a year to him, nor is it wasting a year to us. There is no rush to get him over here.
Him playing against Pro competition ,either on the AHL or the NHL is what we should want for him .

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He was a Pittsburgh fan and made a comment during the playoff series vs. the Sens, as a 14-15 year old....\

Exactly, him going back for his 2nd season is commonplace. Actually, more than commonplace.

If he goes back next year we are in trouble, then we can start the conspiracy theories.
Knock it off ,never said it was a conspiracy.Just doesnt seem logical for a highly rated draft pick ,to forgo his shot at turning pro to go back to school.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Knock it off ,never said it was a conspiracy.Just doesnt seem logical for a highly rated draft pick ,to forgo his shot at turning pro to go back to school.

I'm not going to knock it off, I'm going to be on the other side of ridiculousness that you are to counter it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I said it just seemed illogical and didnt sit well ,you claim it as conspiracy .Thats a reach buddy

That's it though, it isn't illogical to anyone with an understanding. If he stays after this year, it's very illogical.

If we took him out now, it would be illogical, as he'd be the first ever Sen drafted player to play 1 NCAA season and turn pro.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And.........your point is??Just because one player does one thing. Doesnt automatically make another follow suit

So what are you basing him leaving on?

The 4 guys that have used this the past xxxx years?

I mean, who. Vesey, Wheeler, Schultz.

We are never going to agree, on pretty much anything hockey related, so I'll just leave it be.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So what are you basing him leaving on?

The 4 guys that have used this the past xxxx years?

I mean, who. Vesey, Wheeler, Schultz.

We are never going to agree, on pretty much anything hockey related, so I'll just leave it be.
No you,re to closeminded,and not up for reasonable discussion .You just have to win an arguement when there really isnt one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad