Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
We need a good two way RW to plug in and play in the top 9.

It will make the forward group so much better. And could be in our price range

I would go all in for Eriksson. Six years $6 million. I think that might be enough to get him. It would make us basically a cap team. So he team needs to be committed to a signing that big, and willing to make difficult decisions in a year and 2/3 years down the line. But it is needed and worth it in my opinion. Karlsson would like having him here and we need a good vet two way winger to take us to the next level.

I think while we could use a RW more then a LW in theory, both Loui and Ryan can play RW. And while I wish MacArthur a lot of success in a comeback, he just might not play much, or have declined significantly. Getting the top LW available would be a good move.

I think White should absolutely get signed and play pro next season. He would learn more in the AHL then NCAA. I think the team signs him to give him the 8/9 games to start the season and go to Bingo after... But he ends up playing a lot in Ottawa and is pretty ready for the NHL. Intended AHL player spends most of the year in Ottawa.

Also think Chabot impresses a ton again in canp and preseason. They really intend to send him back to junior but he is just too good. They give him the 8/9 games and he is awesome. They don't want to rush him but he is the 3rd best LD and makes the team and plays well.

I also think that Phaneuf will be with Karlsson not Ceci. Ceci started playing very well when Pganeuf arrived but kept it up after Phaneuf was injured and has been amazing in the World Championships. Phaneuf is just better then Methot. And all the weakest parts of EK's game are the huge strengths of Phaneuf's game. Phaneuf is amazing standing defending in front of the net. This is the only bad part of Karlsson's game. Methot will still be a very competent partner for Ceci. World's better then Wiercioch or Cowen.

I think Wideman will improve his overall game with a better partner and with a very effective top 4.

I totally trust Hammond to be a great backup and more consistent then last year.

This what my team would be. And besides Eriksson as a UFA how it probably will be.

1a) Eriksson Turris Ryan
1b) Hoffman Zibanejad Stone
3) MacArthur Pageau Lazar
4) Paul Smith White
Spares Dzingel Neil

Phaneuf Karlsson
Methot Ceci
Chabot Wideman
Spare Boro

Anderson
Hammond

Trade for whatever picks we can get Wiercioch, Chiasson, Puempel.

I don't think that is an elite team. But it is easily a contending team with depth. More then just a playoff team or a bubble team. A team as good as the remaining 4 teams in the playoffs basically. Many "elite" teams Caps and Hawks and Ducks and Kings lost out. I think that team, if we had a great coach and health and bounces and some luck happened could win the Cup next year. Probably not, but a decent shot. A top ten/top eight team.

Doesn't have many changes, but I think our core is pretty darn good and has much talent and skill and youthful upside.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would wait until January or February before making any big moves, at the earliest. We need to see how these guys respond to Boucher and Crawford first. See how these guys respond to a real system in place.

Now, if we want to get rid of some minor pieces like Weir, Chiasson, Puempel, etc, then go for it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Puempel-Paul-Lazar/Neil
McCormick

Methot Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman
Borowiecki

Anderson
Hammond

Chiasson and Wiercioch traded at the draft

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We need a 3rd line RW. That's a very real "hole" in our lineup.

Dzingel,Paul,McCormick,Robinson,etc. = our depth. None of those guys should be handed a top 9 spot, they should have to work for it IMO.

For that you need to sign someone in the Hudler,Santorelli,Weise,Purcell mold to play with Smith and Pageau.

Dzingel is the only real darkhorse imo, because he had a good showing last year with the Sens.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Puempel-Paul-Lazar/Neil
McCormick

Methot Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman
Borowiecki

Anderson
Hammond

Chiasson and Wiercioch traded at the draft
I would maybe swap Hoffy for Mac , if just to help Zibby even more with the possession part of the game

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We need a 3rd line RW. That's a very real "hole" in our lineup.

Dzingel,Paul,McCormick,Robinson,etc. = our depth. None of those guys should be handed a top 9 spot, they should have to work for it IMO.

For that you need to sign someone in the Hudler,Santorelli,Weise,Purcell mold to play with Smith and Pageau.

Dzingel is the only real darkhorse imo, because he had a good showing last year with the Sens.
This guy is who i want :handclap:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would go all in for Eriksson. Six years $6 million. I think that might be enough to get him. It would make us basically a cap team. So he team needs to be committed to a signing that big, and willing to make difficult decisions in a year and 2/3 years down the line. But it is needed and worth it in my opinion. Karlsson would like having him here and we need a good vet two way winger to take us to the next level.

I think while we could use a RW more then a LW in theory, both Loui and Ryan can play RW. And while I wish MacArthur a lot of success in a comeback, he just might not play much, or have declined significantly. Getting the top LW available would be a good move.

I think White should absolutely get signed and play pro next season. He would learn more in the AHL then NCAA. I think the team signs him to give him the 8/9 games to start the season and go to Bingo after... But he ends up playing a lot in Ottawa and is pretty ready for the NHL. Intended AHL player spends most of the year in Ottawa.

Also think Chabot impresses a ton again in canp and preseason. They really intend to send him back to junior but he is just too good. They give him the 8/9 games and he is awesome. They don't want to rush him but he is the 3rd best LD and makes the team and plays well.

I also think that Phaneuf will be with Karlsson not Ceci. Ceci started playing very well when Pganeuf arrived but kept it up after Phaneuf was injured and has been amazing in the World Championships. Phaneuf is just better then Methot. And all the weakest parts of EK's game are the huge strengths of Phaneuf's game. Phaneuf is amazing standing defending in front of the net. This is the only bad part of Karlsson's game. Methot will still be a very competent partner for Ceci. World's better then Wiercioch or Cowen.

I think Wideman will improve his overall game with a better partner and with a very effective top 4.

I totally trust Hammond to be a great backup and more consistent then last year.

This what my team would be. And besides Eriksson as a UFA how it probably will be.

1a) Eriksson Turris Ryan
1b) Hoffman Zibanejad Stone
3) MacArthur Pageau Lazar
4) Paul Smith White
Spares Dzingel Neil

Phaneuf Karlsson
Methot Ceci
Chabot Wideman
Spare Boro

Anderson
Hammond

Trade for whatever picks we can get Wiercioch, Chiasson, Puempel.

I don't think that is an elite team. But it is easily a contending team with depth. More then just a playoff team or a bubble team. A team as good as the remaining 4 teams in the playoffs basically. Many "elite" teams Caps and Hawks and Ducks and Kings lost out. I think that team, if we had a great coach and health and bounces and some luck happened could win the Cup next year. Probably not, but a decent shot. A top ten/top eight team.

Doesn't have many changes, but I think our core is pretty darn good and has much talent and skill and youthful upside.

While I like the idea of adding Eriksson I see a few problems with your lineup. First, I believe White is returning to school so he should be out. The Chabot/Wideman tandem is a concern since one is a rookie & the other has seen limited play in the NHL so far. Boro adds an element of toughness this team lacks & the numbers could play a part in the team's selection as it does every yr. Let's try this instead.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Eriksson
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan - Dzingel can sub for Mac, if needed
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Puempel - Lazar - Chiasson/Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boro - Wideman/Claesson - not sure if Chabot makes the team

I would wait until January or February before making any big moves, at the earliest. We need to see how these guys respond to Boucher and Crawford first. See how these guys respond to a real system in place.

Now, if we want to get rid of some minor pieces like Weir, Chiasson, Puempel, etc, then go for it.

I agree, I think this is exactly what will happen unless they come out of the gate flat again & changes are needed but they might go internal too. The other point is that they may move some bodies at the draft to move up or to get extra picks. It seems very difficult now to make trades in the NHL & most teams seem to wait until the trade deadline to see if they are buyers or sellers. Of course, if you wait too long you could find yourself out of the playoffs pretty quick too. I think they move Wier or Puempel at the draft, if Wier is even re-signed & Chiasson or Wideman at the trade deadline.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Adding a guy like McGinn or Shaw would be a good move to round out the top 9 IMO.

As of right now, we have 8/9 filled out, and that will go down to 7/9 when 1 is bound to get injured: Mac, Turris, Stone, Hoff, Zbad, Ryan, Smith, & Pageau

The Redden Rocket

Nov 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
Adding a guy like McGinn or Shaw would be a good move to round out the top 9 IMO.

As of right now, we have 8/9 filled out, and that will go down to 7/9 when 1 is bound to get injured: Mac, Turris, Stone, Hoff, Zbad, Ryan, Smith, & Pageau

Only problem I have with either is what their salary will be. Shaw is 2+ RFA and McGinn is coming off 2.95. Weiss is coming off a 2 year 1.025 deal. Just need a stop gap until White makes the team as the third line could end up

Paul/Dzingel-Pageau-White after next season and beyond that who knows. Point being I feel they will want term on the next contract and we don't need a long term option (IMO).

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
McArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Dzingel
Paul - Lazar - Mccormick

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is a young player is given that opportunity. Doubtful we sign anyone.

Agreed, they might have to move some bodies out at the draft or before next season to add a UFA or two. The roster limit is 23 players & a couple of them are not waiver exempt which is why I think they will be on the team. It's potentially possible that Dzingel, Robinson, McCormick, even Wiercioch if re-signed or Paul could make the team out of camp or someone else. Unless traded or new players signed, I think these are the 22 players who will be on the roster to start the season & I've added Robinson as the 13th forward because I think he is NHL ready & huge & will eventually replace Neil's position, not his role. I also think Hoffman, Chiasson & Ceci will get re-signed, not sure about Wiercioch although they could move him at the draft.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Chiasson
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Puempel - Lazar - Neil/Robinson

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Claesson

Anderson - Hammond

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Agreed, they might have to move some bodies out at the draft or before next season to add a UFA or two. The roster limit is 23 players & a couple of them are not waiver exempt which is why I think they will be on the team. It's potentially possible that Dzingel, Robinson, McCormick, even Wiercioch if re-signed or Paul could make the team out of camp or someone else. Unless traded or new players signed, I think these are the 22 players who will be on the roster to start the season & I've added Robinson as the 13th forward because I think he is NHL ready & huge & will eventually replace Neil's position, not his role. I also think Hoffman, Chiasson & Ceci will get re-signed, not sure about Wiercioch although they could move him at the draft.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Chiasson
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Puempel - Lazar - Neil/Robinson

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Claesson

Anderson - Hammond

I know it's rolling lines not like lines 1, 2, 3, but seeing Chiasson listed as RW1 makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
We need a good two way RW to plug in and play in the top 9.

It will make the forward group so much better. And could be in our price range

I know not many people share this opinion, but I think that Lazar becomes that dependable 3rd line RW next year.

I still think he's going to eventually be a real good player for us, and gets written off far to quickly sometimes. He has looked lost for sure at times, especially offensively, but he was mishandled by Cameron.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
This team clearly needs to be re evaluated by the new coaching staff before we truly know what we really need.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I know not many people share this opinion, but I think that Lazar becomes that dependable 3rd line RW next year.

I still think he's going to eventually be a real good player for us, and gets written off far to quickly sometimes. He has looked lost for sure at times, especially offensively, but he was mishandled by Cameron.

This team clearly needs to be re evaluated by the new coaching staff before we truly know what we really need.

I agree with both. I see something in Lazar and am hopeful we can see him grow under a new coach. Mac being healthy and growth from Lazar could be huge for how Boucher implements his system.

I supported Cameron but it did seem like he ran out of ideas when things started unraveling. Hearing Boucher and Crawford talk about strategy is really refreshing, can't wait.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

right. unless boucher in his 30 game viewings has seen something/one he really doesn't like and it's agreed with management that the player should be moved. :dunno:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
right. unless boucher in his 30 game viewings has seen something/one he really doesn't like and it's agreed with management that the player should be moved. :dunno:

But almost everything sucked in those 30 games so if he's going to evaluate the players and team from those then he will want the whole team traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad