Paul-Lazar-McCormick/Neil
Neil/McCormick, Puempel

Methot-EK
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman
Boro

Andy
Hammond

This is what I'd do as well. We still need a UFA top-6 forward to solidify our offense, especially with Ryan being so streaky, and MacA probably needing a lot of time to get back to normal.

Also, anyone who is already breaking up the Smith-JGP-Stone line was obviously not paying attention last month of the season. It's a blessing that these three have turned into a "2b" line when Turris went down, and it means we finally have very competitive depth up front. I'm also confident Nick Paul will cement his spot on the 4th line and will likely be used on other lines throughout the year as injuries inevitably happen.

Last thing I'd really like to see is to bring in a veteran d-man to play on the third pairing. It's almost a necessity, as I'm tired of having one pairing that looks like it belongs in the AHL.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
This is what I'd do as well. We still need a UFA top-6 forward to solidify our offense, especially with Ryan being so streaky, and MacA probably needing a lot of time to get back to normal.

Also, anyone who is already breaking up the Smith-JGP-Stone line was obviously not paying attention last month of the season. It's a blessing that these three have turned into a "2b" line when Turris went down, and it means we finally have very competitive depth up front. I'm also confident Nick Paul will cement his spot on the 4th line and will likely be used on other lines throughout the year as injuries inevitably happen.

Last thing I'd really like to see is to bring in a veteran d-man to play on the third pairing. It's almost a necessity, as I'm tired of having one pairing that looks like it belongs in the AHL.

To be fair, it's not like it's a guarantee that lines that are thrown together and perform great one season will continue to do so the next.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
To be fair, it's not like it's a guarantee that lines that are thrown together and perform great one season will continue to do so the next.

I don't know, I think to be really fair, they should start the year together, and if the magic is gone, then you mix it up.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Really curious to see what Boucher/Crawford come up with for combinations. Could be very different

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
So far most of you envision a line up with the same cast of characters and are hoping that a new coach will make them a championship team. I have my doubts. IMO the club needs to make some player upgrades to make it out of the first round.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

New coach, new system.

Far from a guarantee that Smith, JGP and Stone stay together.

Predicting the lines seems a bit silly at this time because of that.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Is Boucher a big line juggler? I hope not anyways.

Maclean was by far the worst for it, and Cameron just sucked at making the lines in general, so I'm hoping for a big improvement there.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
So far most of you envision a line up with the same cast of characters and are hoping that a new coach will make them a championship team. I have my doubts. IMO the club needs to make some player upgrades to make it out of the first round.

Maybe not a championship team, but a playoff team certainly.

This team has to become a consistent playoff team before we even start talking about a cup contending team.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Samboni

Ottawa was one of the highest scoring teams in the league so that's really not a issue.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Samboni

Ottawa was one of the highest scoring teams in the league so that's really not a issue.

True, but in order to become a better defensive team, scoring will be sacrificed... unless we get better players on D.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Teams blow when players aren't able to develop chemistry because the coach juggles the lines every game.

So what came first, the chicken or the egg?

I think it's safe to say lack of chemistry was not the reason why the Senators had a bad season.

Very safe.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
True, but in order to become a better defensive team, scoring will be sacrificed... unless we get better players on D.

Not necessarily true.

The problem isn't really the skill. It's the system they're playing in, or to be more specific the lack of a system at all.

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci

That's a very realistic top 4.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I share your concern. Just one great UFA upgrade could help a lot.

My dream is:

Hoffman - Stamkos - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris -Stone
Smith - Zibanejad - Lazar
Paul - Pageau - Neil/Puempel

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki/Wiercioch - Wideman

Anderson - Hammond

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Purcell/Hudler/Weise/Santorelli...
Dzingel-Lazar-McCormick/Robinson/Paul/Neil...

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson/Borowiecki/Harpur-Wideman
Chabot

Chabot could play himself on that 3rd pairing, and he's gonna be verryyyy sheltered with Methot-Phaneuf ahead of him as LHD.

But Dorion doesn't seem keen on rushing players, so maybe he'll sign a vet for the 3rd pairing. Options? I think it would be a LH to play with Wideman. Russell? Probably too pricey.

Last edited:

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
We need a good two way RW to plug in and play in the top 9.

It will make the forward group so much better. And could be in our price range

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Will be interesting to see if they choose to bring in any ufas. Heard some talk that are line up was stagnate from not bringing in anyone this last summer. Not really sure if i agree but it will be interesting to see if even a minor ufa is added. Might depend on how Mac is

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I agree with your first comment, offence will decline if the forwards are required to do a better job defending without the puck. I do not blame the defensemen solely for the high shots against as the forwards also are responsible for defending when they do not have the puck. With the addition of Phaneuf, the top 4 defensemen are ok. I have doubts about the third pair. Wiercioch, if he signs again as well as Wideman are too soft. I can live with Borowiecki on the third pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad