Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Would we be looking for another new coach if we miss the playoffs the next two years?

I'm cringing at the thought, but I'd have to think so, perhaps even a new GM to conduct a fire sale. This team needs to be making the playoffs or heads need to roll. It's waaaay too early for that kind of talk, though, so let's just not even think about it any further than that.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO there is no way we can miss the playoffs going forward.

None. That's why Im so adamant on bringing on another top 6 forward cause we need to cover all our bases. I aint risking another top 6 injury and then settling for "oh we didnt make it cause of injuries." Naw, that won't fly. Obviously a lot makes a diff but you get what I mean.

IF we can't target the likes of Eriksson, Hudler or Boedker, I'd love to get McGinn. Here's a guy who can score 15-20 guys from bottom 6 but fill in nicely in top 6 when needed and he has much needed IQ and skill to help the likes of Pageau/Lazar or whoever.

If the Senators aren't atrocious on special teams, they're probably in the playoffs.

You need to look at Ryan for that. Guy must be better flat out. How many looks at the net did the guy wiff or blow a chance after Karlsson and Hoffman drew penalty killers thheir way?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
IMO there is no way we can miss the playoffs going forward.

None. That's why Im so adamant on bringing on another top 6 forward cause we need to cover all our bases. I aint risking another top 6 injury and then settling for "oh we didnt make it cause of injuries." Naw, that won't fly. Obviously a lot makes a diff but you get what I mean.

IF we can't target the likes of Eriksson, Hudler or Boedker, I'd love to get McGinn. Here's a guy who can score 15-20 guys from bottom 6 but fill in nicely in top 6 when needed and he has much needed IQ and skill to help the likes of Pageau/Lazar or whoever.

You need to look at Ryan for that. Guy must be better flat out. How many looks at the net did the guy wiff or blow a chance after Karlsson and Hoffman drew penalty killers thheir way?
Add Zibby to that ,guy cant have 8 goals 30 games in :nod:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
What if the reason they are playing infinitely better is partly because of the roster?

We play with so little grit and toughness, I'm not convinced we can elevate our play to match what I'm seeing out of the playoffs at the moment. And that's not just on the coaching, that is a roster "issue".

It has more to do with coaching.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
New Line Up:

MacArthur should be healthy to start the yr assuming he survives training camp & the exhibition games & adding him is like adding a top 6 forward. I assume that Puempel & Claesson will be on the team after TC because they are not waiver exempt & that one of Dzingel or Robinson could also be on the team unless they sign a UFA. Should be interesting if Zibanejad starts the yr at centre or wing & whether Paul makes the team or starts the yr in Bingo.

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
MacArthur - Paul - Zibanejad
Pumpel - Lazar - Robinson/Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Claesson

Anderson - Hammond

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
2017/2018 line up

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Smith - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Paul - White
Dzngiell - Lazar - Robinson/Neil

Hedman (he's a UFA in 2017) - Karlsson
Chabot- Phaneuf
Methot- Ceci

Anderson - Hammond[/QUOTE]

Stanley Cup

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
2017/2018 line up

Smith - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Paul - White

Chabot- Phaneuf
Methot- Ceci

Anderson - Hammond

Stanley Cup[/QUOTE]

That forward group is not good enough to win a cup.

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
2017/2018 line up

Smith - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Paul - White

Chabot- Phaneuf
Methot- Ceci

Anderson - Hammond

Stanley Cup[/QUOTE]

How about we make the playoffs first or how about our PP gets a goal every 5 tries.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
For the offseason, I would keep my powder dry on the big signings, because there really aren't any great fits. Leave yourself cap room to add a player during the season, depending on where the need is greatest. Try to sign some college free agents and perhaps a European or two, on two-way deals.

Otherwise...

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
MacArthur - Zibanejad - Lazar
Puempel - Dzingel- Neil

Guys like Paul and Robinson will compete for a spot, but I think Paul could use another season in the AHL developing his offence. Guys like Pyatt and McCormick start in the minors, as would Perron, who should be interesting to watch in Bingo. I presume White will return for one more season in the NCAA.

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman

Hopefully Claesson is back and can be a 7th d-man who stays in Ottawa. You basically need 7 d-men all season, just like last year, and the 7th guy will get 40 games minimum. Englund will be over, so he'll get a look, but is probably better served with a full year in Bingo and adapting to the ice. Harpur, Erkamps and a few others populate Bingo. I think Chabot should do one more year of junior, like White. He can't play in Bingo, so I think it's awkward to keep him here, although he could get the 8 game look if he is a standout in camp.

Anderson - Hammond

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
With that defense, I don't think it matters. Forward group should still be in top 15 in goals and that defense is stupidly nasty. 2 top 5 defenders and a 2nd pair that could potentially play like top pair and bottom pair that could too on a weak team, lol.

Sure, but Hedman won't come here, that's a pipe dream. We also can't bank on Chabot becoming a top 4 dman before he's even played a game in the nhl. I'm sure that team could do well in nhl 16 though, so we got that going for us.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Hoffman Duchene Ryan
MacArthur Turris Stone
Puempel Paul Lazar
Smith Pageau Dzingel

Chabot Karl
Phaneuf Ceci
Methot Wideman

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Centre depth is insane. Turris should be good for 70points labeling him a 1C.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone - This line was the best line in hockey till it was broken up to "spread the offence"
MacArthur- Zibanejad - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Lazar
Paul - Smith - Neil
Puempel

Phaneuf - EK
Methot - Ceci
Cleasson - Chabot
Wideman

dom116

May 18, 2016
ott gets: nyquist or tatar to play with turris and mac for next years 1st

hoff-zib-ryan
smith-jg-stone
mac-turris-tatar/nyquist

ott would have one of the best top 9 in the league

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Of all the choices to bring in Loui Eriksson would solidify the RW side a lot. Where would he play in relation to Stone, Ryan Neil, etc I'd think as the 1RW

Hoffman - Turris - Eriksson
Smith - Pageau - Stone
MacArthur - Zibanejad - Ryan
Paul - Lazar - Neil/Dzingel

or
Hofmann - Turris - Eriksson
MacArthur - Zibanejad - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Ryan
Dzingel - Paul - Lazar/Neil

Flip Zibanejad and Pageau if they want, but I can't see Ryan as the 3RW. He would not bump Eriksson or Stone

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Of all the choices to bring in Loui Eriksson would solidify the RW side a lot. Where would he play in relation to Stone, Ryan Neil, etc I'd think as the 1RW

Hoffman - Turris - Eriksson
Smith - Pageau - Stone
MacArthur - Zibanejad - Ryan
Paul - Lazar - Neil/Dzingel

or Dzingel - Paul - Lazar/Neil

I can't see Ryan as the 3RW, but he would not bump Eriksson or Stone

Line numbers don't matter. Finding chemistry with our forward groups does.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Line numbers don't matter. Finding chemistry with our forward groups does.

Fair enough, but the matchups certain groups get will play into the equations. Whomever is second over the boards will match differently from whomever is third. And I guess factoring in how the first is used as well plays into it.

Assuming 5 on 5; what is the hoped for line use formula in a first period when we get the first change:
Line 1 - 8 minutes
Line 2 - 5 minutes
Line 3 - 4 minutes
Line 4 - 3 minutes

Is there even something as specific as that? Of course I guess it is also dependant on the opposition's strengths. Second and Third periods would be adjusted slightly differently?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Fair enough, but the matchups certain groups get will play into the equations. Whomever is second over the boards will match differently from whomever is third. And I guess factoring in how the first is used as well plays into it.

Assuming 5 on 5; what is the hoped for line use formula in a first period when we get the first change:
Line 1 - 8 minutes
Line 2 - 5 minutes
Line 3 - 4 minutes
Line 4 - 3 minutes

Is there even something as specific as that? Of course I guess it is also dependant on the opposition's strengths. Second and Third periods would be adjusted slightly differently?

If we had 3 good lines like you described, why not roll all 3 pretty equally? 6,6,6 and 2 minutes for the 4th line? Keeps everyone fresh. Later in the game if any of the lines is playing particularly well (or not that well) adjust the minutes accordingly.

Then you have at least one line playing a mismatch vs the other teams 3rd line and or 4th line if they roll them enough.

Like Pittsburgh has the Crosby line, Malkin line and Kessel line. Three scoring lines.

I don't know if we get Ericksson... But if we did:

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Smith Pageau Stone
Hoffman Zibanejad Eriksson

3 scoring lines, all with good defensive players on each. All with playmaking wingers. All with goal scorers. Every player could get 20 goals and 40-65 points and play 16/17/28 mins a game (depending on special teams and which line was "hottest".

4th line could be fresh and take several 30 second shifts a period.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
If we had 3 good lines like you described, why not roll all 3 pretty equally? 6,6,6 and 2 minutes for the 4th line? Keeps everyone fresh. Later in the game if any of the lines is playing particularly well (or not that well) adjust the minutes accordingly.

Then you have at least one line playing a mismatch vs the other teams 3rd line and or 4th line if they roll them enough.

Like Pittsburgh has the Crosby line, Malkin line and Kessel line. Three scoring lines.

I don't know if we get Ericksson... But if we did:

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Smith Pageau Stone
Hoffman Zibanejad Eriksson

3 scoring lines, all with good defensive players on each. All with playmaking wingers. All with goal scorers. Every player could get 20 goals and 40-65 points and play 16/17/28 mins a game (depending on special teams and which line was "hottest".

4th line could be fresh and take several 30 second shifts a period.

As awesome as those lines would be, I'd be very hesitant to lock up another 30+ year old winger long term.

Not even saying I wouldn't do it, but with that move our top 9 would be pretty much set in stone moving forward, and I'm not sure yet if that group is capable of wining a cup.

I'd rather wait and see what we have with this group under Boucher before making any big signings.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Oooooh I really love these lines! With fairly equal ice time distribution, who cares what the 4th line looks like.

Dzingal Paul Lazar plus Neil. With depth in the AHL. We could make a fast strong 2 way 4th line with those guys as well. Use Neil half the games and Dzingal/Paul in half.

You wouldn't really need to shelter that 4th line. Use Paul and Lazar on the PK maybe.

We are deep at forward even without getting Loui Eriksson. But that would be icing on the cake.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Hoffman -- Turris -- Ryan
Smith -- Pageau -- Stone
MacArthur -- Zibanejad -- Lazar
Chiasson -- Dzingle -- Paul / Neil (til 1000 / Paul takes Neil's spot after)

Methot -- Karlsson
Phaneuf -- Ceci
Chabot -- Wideman

ADD a top 9 Forward to take Lazar out of there regularly (only for injuries). Paul and Neil switch spots on 4th line (put Neil in for physical games until he reaches 1000).
[ ] acquire a top 9 winger with the skill of a ~ top 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad