Confirmed with Link: [OTT/STL] Sens acquire Ben Bishop for 2nd 2013, signed to 1yr ext

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Murray is probably the first GM in the history of the entire NHL to have given up a 2nd rounder for a 25yo goalie with 13 NHL games. If you can't say 'overpaid', how else do you describe it?

See Mike Kiprusoff trade

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Is he UFA after next season? Hope he works out, a 2nd is a big price to pay...

Signing him is the least of your worries. At this point he just wants a 1 way contract. That's why the price may seem a little high. I'm really happy for him that he's getting his shot to be a regular. Hope it works out for the Sens and Big Ben! :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Murray is probably the first GM in the history of the entire NHL to have given up a 2nd rounder for a 25yo goalie with 13 NHL games. If you can't say 'overpaid', how else do you describe it?

There's a bit of context I don't think you're considering, but I won't fight your opinion, you're entitled to it. I just disagree.

Nothing wrong with that. Time will tell.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
A couple of things

- does this mean Anderson's injury is worse than a week to 2 weeks?
- when Anderson is back ,Auld is pretty much waived correct?

Discuss.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I remember seeing Bishop in the AHL all star skills competition and thinking man, this kid is a BEAST. Now he gets his chance to play in the big league, hope he makes the most of it!

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
A couple of things

- does this mean Anderson's injury is worse than a week to 2 weeks?
- when Anderson is back ,Auld is pretty much waived correct?

Discuss.

I think this has more to do with Lehner is not ready and Auld is not playing well.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Ok so Lehner better be in today. This trade should give the kid some motivation to play his best hockey. The Sens need a win against the Islanders this afternoon so hopefully we get to see a young goaltender with a chip on his shoulder.

SensFan1955

Oct 28, 2009
Anybody knows or did they announce who's in goal at 5? When would Bishop be able to play? as soon as...........? could he play today? Tuesday?

SensFan1955

Oct 28, 2009
Anybody knows or did they announce who's in goal at 5? When would Bishop be able to play? as soon as...........? could he play today? Tuesday?

I would assume and hope they would put in Lehner today if not Bishop, to give one chance to Lehner to prove himself capable.....

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
couple things to keep perspective.

Lehner is 20. He is not ready yet. As much as you pray and hope he is, he is not. He needs time. He is an RFA. We get to hold onto him for awhile. Even if he gets mad and goes back to the SEL.

Auld is signed and Murray is behind him. He will finish out the season, will not be extended.

Bishop wants a 1 way contract. He will be Andersons back up next season. This gives us a better tandem. This will allow Anderson to play 60 games and Bishop can pick up the other 22.

Anderson is signed to 3 more years. By this time Lehner will be ready and Bishop will be in his prime giving us a strong Bishop/Lehner duo.
If Lehner develops faster, Anderson does not have a ntc. We can move him at anytime. There is always a market for goalies.

My only question is what happens to Mike McKenna? Does Bishop report to Bingo or are we lending him to the Rivermen for the rest of the season?

Remember, keep calm and enjoy the show.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
See Mike Kiprusoff trade

Kipprusoff played 47 games, every single one of them for Darryl Sutter and he was dominating pro leagues long before then. Even so, it was still a risk by Sutter to pay that much for him.

We're taking a bigger risk on a less proven guy, despite being in a less desperate situation.

Toronto gave up a 1st, 2nd and Rask (who was a recent 1st) for Toskala (115 NHL games) and Raycroft (Calder Trophy). They were much more proven than Bishop and yet, turned out to be horrible mistakes.

So if someone offered a second round pick for Robin Lehner, would that be "overpaying"?

Lehner was a 2nd round pick just 2 years ago and his development has been stellar thus far. A 2nd rounder would probably be underpayment.

No there has been many deals that teams have overpaid for players a deal like this

When?

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
couple things to keep perspective.

Lehner is 20. He is not ready yet. As much as you pray and hope he is, he is not. He needs time. He is an RFA. We get to hold onto him for awhile. Even if he gets mad and goes back to the SEL.

Auld is signed and Murray is behind him. He will finish out the season, will not be extended.

Bishop wants a 1 way contract. He will be Andersons back up next season. This gives us a better tandem. This will allow Anderson to play 60 games and Bishop can pick up the other 22.

Anderson is signed to 3 more years. By this time Lehner will be ready and Bishop will be in his prime giving us a strong Bishop/Lehner duo.
If Lehner develops faster, Anderson does not have a ntc. We can move him at anytime. There is always a market for goalies.

My only question is what happens to Mike McKenna? Does Bishop report to Bingo or are we lending him to the Rivermen for the rest of the season?

Remember, keep calm and enjoy the show.

Bishop will report to Ottawa.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

What do you think drafting an ohl goalie in the first round is than.....

This is not so bad. If he turns out like snieder you can flip him for a good roster player. Low risk high reward in every way and low payment.

Plus you complain about every deal you just do not like Brian Murray it's pretty obvious to me.

Plus you seem to troll a lot about deals

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Kipprusoff played 47 games, every single one of them for Darryl Sutter and he was dominating pro leagues long before then. Even so, it was still a risk by Sutter to pay that much for him.

We're taking a bigger risk on a less proven guy, despite being in a less desperate situation.

Toronto gave up a 1st, 2nd and Rask (who was a recent 1st) for Toskala (115 NHL games) and Raycroft (Calder Trophy). They were much more proven than Bishop and yet, turned out to be horrible mistakes.

Lehner was a 2nd round pick just 2 years ago and his development has been stellar thus far. A 2nd rounder would probably be underpayment.

When?

There has been countless deals where teams have overpaid.

Jerk Store*

Wow, I'm very happy with this deal. Bishop's been putting up good numbers. Think of it this way, we were excited for Lehner to come up, even though his stats haven't been all that great so I'm psyched to see Bishop play.

The way I see it, he will either be a very solid back up and, long shot, could challenge for the number 1 job. Very long shot.

Murray stuck to keeping us young, so I don't mind the 2nd rounder. He's turning all of our assets into young, promising important pieces. Even if Bishop ends up as a solid backup, that's an important piece to any competing team.

Great move Murray. Really impressed. I didn't even know this guy was on the market.

My only concern is, the inury to Andy happened recently. Did the scouting staff have enough time to watch him?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
My only concern is, the inury to Andy happened recently. Did the scouting staff have enough time to watch him?

People have been watching Ben Bishop play for a while.

By the sounds of it, the chances of him challenging to be a starter aren't as poor as you may think. I have no idea though, never seen him play.

I imagine he built the hype around him because not only is he huge...but athletic and skilled as well.

Homer SENSson

Feb 1, 2012
I like this deal, finally some depth at the Goaltender position. It's going to be fun to watch Bishop/Lehner develop over the next few seasons.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
What do you think drafting an ohl goalie in the first round is than.....

This is not so bad. If he turns out like snieder you can flip him for a good roster player. Low risk high reward in every way and low payment.

Schneider was a 1st round pick, drafted 10-15 spots away from where that 2nd rounder could fall.

Also, listed all of the stupid things that could be done with a 2nd rounder doesn't protect this deal from criticism.

Plus you complain about every deal you just FO not like Brian Murray it's pretty on opus to me.

Every deal is judged on it's own merits.

I liked the Filatov deal, the Campoli deal, the Anderson deal and many others.

Well it's not quite 2-rescuer CPR, but you should probably let another sycophant know if your knees or lips get tired so that they can take over.

Were you going to elaborate on all of the times that 25yo minor leaguers with virtually no experience were dealt for 2nd rounders?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'll tell you this much: I'll take Bishop for a 2nd over ANY of the goalie re-treads that were out there as rentals. If Murray thinks we needed a new goalie, either because of Andy's injury or Auld playing like a Midget B goalie, Bishop might have been the best fit for us out of anyone on the market.

We'd have spent as much on a stop-gap goalie like Khabibulin, and there's nowhere to go but down with him. No future whatsoever.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I liked the Auld signing when it was done, but it just didn't work out. Time to move on. This is also a wake up call to Lehner, that he can't just go through the motions in the AHL until he brought up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00