Confirmed with Link: [OTT/STL] Sens acquire Ben Bishop for 2nd 2013, signed to 1yr ext

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
6 years from now you guys are going to be furious about how we missed out on Joe Blow 2nd Rounder!

No we won't, because Murray drafts superstars with every single pick he makes. So if he dealt that pick, it was a bad pick.

He is infallible according to many of this board.

but even if he is a good backup for the next few years it is worth the 2nd.

What do you expect out of him to justify the price?
How many games a year? What level of performance? Does he ever have to legitimately challenge for the starters role?

Are you gonna tell me why this is relevant?

Or how often a player in Bishop's situation is available?

The price that is typically paid for certain types of players since the damn of time is what helps set prices. I'm just wondering why we paid $15 for a hotdog. Seems a little out of whack.

it is not at all uncommon for a goalie to spend his early 20's developing.

Secondly, I feel like this situation is a bit unique. Goalies of his skill at his age are not often available.

Goalies who spend their 20's developing don't usually have much value until they're proving themselves in the NHL. That's why the Leafs can keep signing all of these youngish goalies for nothing.

Even if you think he's worth a 3rd, the market for him (Tampa, among others, I'm guessing) probably pushed the price up a bit.

We'll never know. Murray could have just been bluffed out of his boxers too.

He's our GM and I'd love to believe that he ****s Gold Nuggets. But the fact of the matter is that he's been here a long time and has probably made a bad deal for every good deal he's made. That's pretty average in my books.

FreakyBunny

Sep 4, 2006
Ottawa
Agree with everyone who thinks this was a good move for Murray. All week-end long he was fielding questions about the goal tending situation here while he was obviously working hard behind the scenes to make this deal happen.

A NHL ready back-up with an upside about a thousand miles north of Auld is totally worth the 2nd in 2013. Lehner has some thinking to do...if he wants to be the man he needs to start acting like one. He's no longer the sole heir apparent.

Bishop's numbers aren't exactly stellar, though, but then again neither are Anderson's. Can one of the Blues posters comment on his performance and shed some insight that goes beyond the stats? Like, how does he play when the game is on the line? Has he stolen a game or two? Does he come up with spectacular saves when the team needs him to? Is he rattled easily?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
where is that quote from? the one about him being better than half the starts in the league

Brandi

Mar 21, 2006
Ottawa
I'm happy with this.

I also thought Bishop was doing well in St.Louis an contending for the #1 spot at the start of the year.

Anyhoo, it's keeps Anderson on his toes and provides us more depth.

Manny*

2060390-i_like_it.jpg

Anderson+Bishop next season, Lehner challenges the year after.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sounds like everyone is evaluating the trade too soon maybe? Bishop turns out to be a future NHL starting goalie and a stud, it was an excellent trade. If Bishop fades away into the night and doesn't make a dent with Ottawa, then it will be looked at as bad.

And the X-factor, if Bishop comes in RIGHT NOW and plays well and helps us solidy a playoff berth while Anderson is injured, then the trade is a win for the franchise.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
a question no one has asked yet is, how will lehner react? i've definitely been getting the sense that our organization has soured a bit on this kid's makeup. with the alleged pouting after being sent down, the suspension for fighting, and his mediocre play, and now a trade for another big goalie prospect, it has to mean we aren't so sure lehner is going to be our stud goalie of the future. and if lehner takes a suck attack and maybe even threatens to go back to sweden, you'd have to think he'll be done with us. i wouldnt be shocked now if lehner gets packaged up in a trade later today or tomorrow.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Murray is probably the first GM in the history of the entire NHL to have given up a 2nd rounder for a 25yo goalie with 13 NHL games. If you can't say 'overpaid', how else do you describe it?

Please. Its a SECOND ROUND PICK. Bishop is a better goalie than Lehner, and has the same potential. How can people be happy we spent a second on Lehner and upset we spent a 2nd on Bishop?

As for his age, not many goalies break into the NHL before their mid 20s. The same people that preach about how we shouldnt rush our prospects whine when we trade for a prospect that wasnt rushed.

Market Street Heroes

Nov 2, 2008
Blues fan here - You guys got a good young goalie, and I definitely don't think it was overpayment. I think a 2nd rounder is about proper value for a goaltender who was in Bishop's situation (a good young goalie who was gonna be lost to free agency by the Blues in the offseason, so they had to deal him).

Question - With Anderson out, do you think Bishop will be your starter? If so, i'll be catching some Sens games on Gamecenter. I've been wanting to see the kid get his shot for awhile now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
a question no one has asked yet is, how will lehner react? i've definitely been getting the sense that our organization has soured a bit on this kid's makeup. with the alleged pouting after being sent down, the suspension for fighting, and his mediocre play, and now a trade for another big goalie prospect, it has to mean we aren't so sure lehner is going to be our stud goalie of the future. and if lehner takes a suck attack and maybe even threatens to go back to sweden, you'd have to think he'll be done with us. i wouldnt be shocked now if lehner gets packaged up in a trade later today or tomorrow.

Lehner is what, 20 years old? Not many organizations expect a 20 yr old to be playing their way onto a NHL team. Give him time to develop, at 23, you might just see the stud we all hope he can be.

hockeyfan747

Oct 29, 2009
so happy for this. I have wanted this goalie for a while. I posted in our trade rumors section a couple weeks ago that with the Elliot extension the Sens should look at this guy. He has put up good numbers on an average AHL team and has 6'7 size. I think this will end up working out very well for us. We now have a solid starter in Anderson and two top tier goalie prospects.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Blues fan here - You guys got a good young goalie, and I definitely don't think it was overpayment. I think a 2nd rounder is about proper value for a goaltender who was in Bishop's situation (a good young goalie who was gonna be lost to free agency by the Blues in the offseason, so they had to deal him).

Question - With Anderson out, do you think Bishop will be your starter? If so, i'll be catching some Sens games on Gamecenter. I've been wanting to see the kid get his shot for awhile now.

We don't know but by the sounds of it he's stickin with the team in the short-term at least. I expect he'll get a game very soon at the least.

Alex Auld is no-go option and they didn't want to have to call up Lehner. I think they made this deal because they think he can play now and back up when Andy's back.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007

Good to hear.

To answer your question- IMO they brought Bishop in with the plan to use him as the starter while Andy is out, then to back him up once he returns. If he plays well then he'll likely get a decent amount of games next year to take the load off Andy a little.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
koreaboy
The only way i could see Lehner traded is if the return he a fair size and Ottawa gets a blue chip prospect back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad