Confirmed with Link: [OTT/STL] Sens acquire Ben Bishop for 2nd 2013, signed to 1yr ext

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the trade because we have prospect depth now at Goalie and Forward unlike any other time in our history.

Lehner now is looking at another 1-2 years in the AHL - I wonder how he handles that knowing Bishop is signed for next season and is all but guaranteed that NHL spot behind Anderson?

Anyhoot, Bishops NHL stats are not that great, hopefully he gets us some wins and if not we always have Lehner to fall back on.

Talk about pressure, Bishop is now fully in charge of getting us into the playoffs - that is HUGE pressure espcially in Ottawa and I hope he handles it well.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
Does this mean Bishop will actually be getting starts in the NHL this season???

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
So has Brian Elliott... and anybody who thinks that Elliott is going to be a starter is out of their ****ing minds.

We'll see how he does, but we've overpaid for what he was at this moment.

The thing is Elliott was not playing well while Bishop has played very well yes its the ahl and you should not real to much into that but still i don't think you can say they overpaid.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Gotta love how it takes Ottawa's twitter/media department AGES to release any information. Social media puts it out at 11:30 and I'll assume to see something official from the Senators by around 5pm.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Murray handing out those 2nds like candy.

I'd much rather have long-term pieces like Turris and Bishop for my 2nd rounders with the way this team is going than 2 month rentals like Cullen and Sutton.

It's ok. We're good. System is stacked right now... get a defenceman with our 1st rounder, and we still have two 3rd rounders along with the rest of our picks. If we really like someone in the 2nd, I'm sure we'll trade up with the extra 3rd we have this year.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I hope he succeeds for you guys. All he needed was an opportunity.

For those asking about him getting beat out by Elliott, they signed identical contracts and were pretty much dead even at the end of the pre-season. Elliott got the nod because he had more experience which our GM/coach thought would benefit Halak more.

I really think he's going to be a very good NHL goalie. Good move for both teams.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Gotta love how it takes Ottawa's twitter/media department AGES to release any information. Social media puts it out at 11:30 and I'll assume to see something official from the Senators by around 5pm.

They have to make sure they deal gets the ok from the league before they say yes we have made a deal.

backdoorpass

i dont think this matters to much but how many games does he have to play to be no longer waiver exempt

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I know nothing about this guy, but couldn't we have just saved the second and signed a FA in the summer?

In the summer, we have to compete against teams who are WAY more desperate for goaltending than we are, and the $ price becomes ridiculously inflated, not to mention the chance we don't get him.

Trade for him now, lock him up, make him happy and feel comfortable with the organization. Show the kid a bit of confidence and loyalty, and reap the rewards later.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I know nothing about this guy, but couldn't we have just saved the second and signed a FA in the summer?

But we'd still need a goalie to fill in for Anderson until he gets better. Also, needed more goalie prospects.

Not to mention the likelihood of the 2nd rounder having Bishop kind of success isn't very good.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
The thing is Elliott was not playing well while Bishop has played very well yes its the ahl and you should not real to much into that but still i don't think you can say they overpaid.

Murray is probably the first GM in the history of the entire NHL to have given up a 2nd rounder for a 25yo goalie with 13 NHL games. If you can't say 'overpaid', how else do you describe it?

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Murray is a genius, I thought St.Louis would use Bishop to add a big piece to their roster for a playoff push, so the 2nd round pick is in a good way, surprising to me.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
In the summer, we have to compete against teams who are WAY more desperate for goaltending than we are, and the $ price becomes ridiculously inflated, not to mention the chance we don't get him.

Trade for him now, lock him up, make him happy and feel comfortable with the organization. Show the kid a bit of confidence and loyalty, and reap the rewards later.

I don't mean specifically him, just solid backup. Like I said though, this is coming from someone who knows nothing about him, so I'm not knocking the deal

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie

New plan was for Bishop to negotiate directly with OTT. General framework of deal is done, final details and signing expected this aft.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
i dont think this matters to much but how many games does he have to play to be no longer waiver exempt

Although I have no idea if that number means "Games PLAYED" (ie: literally getting time in the crease during a game), or "Games On An NHL Roster (as a backup, receiving an NHL paycheque)".

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Murray is probably the first GM in the history of the entire NHL to have given up a 2nd rounder for a 25yo goalie with 13 NHL games. If you can't say 'overpaid', how else do you describe it?

No there has been many deals that teams have overpaid for players a deal like this makes much more sense then giving up the farm for a rental player i will say it again this deal is fair i would say St Louis could have got more for him if they waited a bit longer.

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
Murray knows more about this kid then we do, which is why he is already extended for us..

Would we get a goalie as good as bishop in the 2nd round in 2013? All you have to do is think that way..

Getting Bishop for a so called make believe player is fine by me.

IMO in the past 2 years everything Murray has done has worked our great for us.. I have no reason to 2nd guess this.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie

New plan was for Bishop to negotiate directly with OTT. General framework of deal is done, final details and signing expected this aft.

I've used this gif already twice today, but it deserves another viewing for this news.

EzGp3.gif

I'm not going to lie, you guys might see this gif again later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland