Confirmed with Link: [OTT/STL] Sens acquire Ben Bishop for 2nd 2013, signed to 1yr ext

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Even so, it was still a risk by Sutter to pay that much for him.

We're taking a bigger risk on a less proven guy, despite being in a less desperate situation.

What's a bigger risk, betting your playoff life on Auld and Lehner, or Bishop, Auld and Lehner? This is actually a risk averse move, that's why it was made.

This could end up being an excellent move by Murry, I don't think Bishop is the next Dominic Hasek but even if he is a good backup for the next few years it is worth the 2nd.

DethAlive

Dec 27, 2008
My only concern is, the inury to Andy happened recently. Did the scouting staff have enough time to watch him?

Goalie coach used to be with St-Louis and worked with him a lot. So they probably got a lot of input from him..

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Well it's not quite 2-rescuer CPR, but you should probably let another sycophant know if your knees or lips get tired so that they can take over.

Were you going to elaborate on all of the times that 25yo minor leaguers with virtually no experience were dealt for 2nd rounders?

Are you gonna tell me why this is relevant?

Or how often a player in Bishop's situation is available?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Were you going to elaborate on all of the times that 25yo minor leaguers with virtually no experience were dealt for 2nd rounders?

First off, respectfully, goalies and skaters develop at a MUCH different pace. it is not at all uncommon for a goalie to spend his early 20's developing.

Secondly, I feel like this situation is a bit unique. Goalies of his skill at his age are not often available.

Even if you think he's worth a 3rd, the market for him (Tampa, among others, I'm guessing) probably pushed the price up a bit. I have no problem upgrading the pick if it means we can have him for this crucial period where Craig Anderson is going to be out recovering from a near-fatal knife attack by a crazy old Craig Anderson.

Like I said, though, no reason to call this an overpayment until he actually plays some games for us. We paid for potential (that quite honestly, a LOT of hockey people readily say is there), and potential will always have a price. If it's next January, and Bishop completely sh!ts the bed for us, then we'll talk about overpaying for UNACHIEVED potential.

Like ANY deal where you trade for "potential", you can't evaluate the price paid until the proof is in the pudding. As for now, the deal is probably right.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Interesting move. Took him a while to develop though. I wonder how smooth his transition to the NHL will be though. For a big goalie, I would wonder how mobile he is and how he could adapt to a much faster NHL. Don't think it's an overpayment as he is much further along his development path.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Well it's not quite 2-rescuer CPR, but you should probably let another sycophant know if your knees or lips get tired so that they can take over.

Goalie Guild
To only give up a second-round draft pick in 2013 to bring in one of the best AHL goaltenders, in my opinion, is a great trade-out.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
6 years from now you guys are going to be furious about how we missed out on Joe Blow 2nd Rounder!

Man, I HOPE St.Louis picks the best player in the 2nd round with that pick.

I mean, if we can't have him, then keep that good player in the west, keep him out of our own division, and we get a stud goalie. Win-win.

SChan*

good deal since sens is stacked on prospects already so ottawa dont really need picks right now.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I love this move. It addresses one of the biggest organizational weaknesses: lack of goaltending depth. We now have two guys with potential to become NHL starters in Bishop and Lehner.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Love it.

I've wanted Bishop for awhile. I was willing to offer as much as Hoffman + 3rd 2012 for him given his potential and need for a quality young goaltender in the system.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Lehner was a 2nd round pick just 2 years ago and his development has been stellar thus far. A 2nd rounder would probably be underpayment.

Ah, I see, so a guy with one year's worth of experience in the AHL with below average statistics and a Calder Cup run and about a handful of games in the NHL is worth more than a second round pick but a guy with a few years of experience in the AHL with very good statistics taken in the third round and working with goalie coaches that have put Halak and Elliott at the top of their game isn't worth a second?

Gotcha.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Sens Chirp also tweeted to Yost that the Sens were looking at a goalie with their first pick this year, so obv they feel we need depth, badly

Love this deal, by that time that second in 2013 is NHL ready Lehner will be the starter if not dang close to it, and nobody will even care

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Take that Lehner, as I was saying earlier in the season I thnk he became a question mark when he flipped in the AHL on the referee this season and has had a poor season.

Good pick-up by us and I hope he does well, but this is a huge F** U to Lehner.

Take that Lehner?

I am so glad they went after another goalie the team clearly has no confidence in Auld. From what I hear this guy has alot of potential but I havent watched him at all. I hope he can step in right now and calm everything down.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
To St Louis: 1st in 2010 (Ott)
2nd in 2013 (Ott)

To Ottawa: Kyle Turris (PHX)
Ben Bishop (STL)

To Phoenix: David Rundblad (STL)
2nd in 2012 (OTT)

If you look at it like a three way deal, we did very well.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I guess this means that the Blues have gone all in with Elliot. I know he is having a great year with a very, very good team, but that is a big gamble. We have seen a lot of goalies be anointed as the one after a year that can't keep it up.

No ill will to Elliot or the Blues, I hope it works out, IMHO they are playing with fire.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To St Louis: 1st in 2010 (Ott)
2nd in 2013 (Ott)

To Ottawa: Kyle Turris (PHX)
Ben Bishop (STL)

To Phoenix: David Rundblad (STL)
2nd in 2012 (OTT)

If you look at it like a three way deal, we did very well.

Interesting way to look at it, to be honest no one will know who won this 3 way deal for 10 to 15 years.

I just looked up Bishop on hockeys future its very out of date.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/ben_bishop

However his talent analysis makes him sound like the greatest goaltender to ever play hockey.

'Thanks to his incredible height, Bishop gives shooters very little net to aim for. But despite his size, he is deceptively quick, and often relies on his athleticism to make saves. He is a good technical goaltender who covers his angles well.'

So he is gigantic, incredibly athletic and is a good technical goaltender that covers his angles well. Wow I cant believe the sens got him for a 2nd rounder haha....

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guess this means that the Blues have gone all in with Elliot. I know he is having a great year with a very, very good team, but that is a big gamble. We have seen a lot of goalies be anointed as the one after a year that can't keep it up.

No ill will to Elliot or the Blues, I hope it works out, IMHO they are playing with fire.

They have Jake Allen coming up too, which is probably why he wasnt kept in St Louis as it would hinder Allens development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad