Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CAR] Ryan Dzingel for Cedric Paquette and Alex Galchenyuk

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I mean... Tampa fans watched Paquette for 6 years. Sens fans for 9 games. I wonder which fan base's opinion is more valuable.

Meh, players fall off.

It's like when we got legwand who was very valuable his whole career and even just the year before. Then in Ottawa looked like he didn't belong and didn't look better in Buffalo then was out of the league.

Maybe Paquette is at that stage In his career.

Or maybe he just didn't care( which looks just as bad on his character to give up that quickly)...I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Guttersniped

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Damn, that’s disappointing to hear, even about a player I didn’t particularly care for.

Good on management for moving on quick, can’t have that kind of attitude set in amongst too many players if you’ve got a tough go of it the rest of the season.

He'll probably do better on a competitive team, but it's really a poor show when you don't care enough to show up for the team that has acquired you. We needed him and Stepan to be decent and they have been disappointments. Again though, I'm sure he'll be better for a competitive team.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
dzingle was not needed in Carolina IMO.

Cedric will help Carolina and is a perfect fit with Rod Brindamours style...

Galy, who knows perhaps he finds a fit with one of the top three lines in Carolina

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In all fairness why should he give a shit when your ownership, management, and coach don't either?

I guess it depends on your character. Plenty of players try on crappy teams with crappy management or ownership. To throw in the towel before the season even starts (because he didn't even put much effort in his first game) it would indicate a weak or fragile character I would think? To throw in the towel before everyone else? I don't know... Maybe I'm overthinking it.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Dzingel is very much the ‘productive player on a bad team but can’t make things work when surrounded by talent’.

In over a year in Carolina he hasn’t gelled with anyone and can find out how to be useful if not scoring.

He has skills and talent but his impact is less than the sum of those parts.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This is a good trade for Ottawa if only for the roster spot it opens up for a young player.

For Carolina, besides cap space, Pacquette likely meets a need as a veteran 4th line player. Galchenyuk is cheap enough to play sparingly, and can theoretically replace Dzingle's meagre offence.

Much like Galchenyuk, I don't see Dzingle being a DJ player. And he won't be available until March with cross borders quarantine rules IIRC. So from an on ice perspective I don't see the gain, unless Dorion is trying to actively flip him actively to another US based team. Maybe with some retention he can get a pick, open up another roster spot, and save on payroll.

I loved Zinger before he was traded out of Ottawa, but hasn't really had much success since then. If he was acquired with the intent to play him, I hope DJ will give him the opportunity to succeed. As an Ottawa fan, the team needs any offence it can get, which is a bigger need, than any veteran leadership type jabronie journeyman, for the Sens prospects to grow under less duress.

As I started by saying, it opens up a spot, so in that sense I endorse the trade while waiting to see how things pan out as more moves are in the offing for Dorion I am sure.

Reactions: DaveG

DG

Sep 19, 2006
Toronto

d47sqw45bzu01-e1582542632454-1000x537.jpg

Reactions: DaveG

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Any word on how long these players will need to sit out due to border crossing?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I dunno, Galchenyuk looked better than Paquette... Didn't think it was even close either.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Good deal for the Canes while Ottawa continues to play for better draft picks.

Paq toughens up the Canes a bit, while still adding the ability to chip in offensively and provide a bit of face off presence (career 49%).
Galchenyuk will get yet another chance to show he isn't done in the NHL...... perhaps playing on a shooting happy team like the Canes will help revive him a bit.

He doesn't even have to be superb. A good 25-30 points from him in the games left should suffice for Carolina.

Reactions: jstaal and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think we know what were getting in Dzingel. I said it before Dzingel was dealt out of Ottawa. He's a good scorer on a bad team but on a good team he isn't good enough to be in a scoring role .

That kind of sums it up. On Carolina for last season and this season, he is dead last in 5v5 goals / 60 of all forwards on the team. When signed, I expected that we'd get a guy that was fast, could score goals, and would chip in on the PP, but wasn't great defensively. Instead, we got a guy that wasn't great offensively, wasn't good enough to be in the top 6, and wasn't cut out to be a 4th liner.

I know he can score goals and he probably will if he gets better opportunities in Ottawa, but it wasn't the case in Carolina where he never really fit in and I don't think the coach was a big fan of his either. He was scratched for some of the RTP/Playoffs. Some times players and teams aren't a good fit and that seems to be the case with Dzingel and Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad