Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CAR] Ryan Dzingel for Cedric Paquette and Alex Galchenyuk

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Weird trade right ? Why not sign Galch as free agent if CAR wanted him ? And Paquette would have been cheaper ?

I'm doubtful that the Canes actively wanted Galchenyuk, but as far as Paquette, a veteran 4C to a team that lacks it, goes, the cap space wasn't available to do it. Dzingel's name was on the TSN trade bait board early in the offseason. Most likely, it came off because no one wanted him at that number, particularly in that leaguewide cap crunch environment.

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
Annnnnnd that's number 6.

Attachments

• 2ECEDDA8-EEC8-4CC3-B6C7-8FDD855ECA69.jpeg
    2ECEDDA8-EEC8-4CC3-B6C7-8FDD855ECA69.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: DaveG

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
It’s crazy how much he has fallen off from his 30 goal season at 21 years old. Don’t quote me on this but I just looked on nhl dot com for the list of players who had a 30 goal season by the time of 21 years old and there’s like 15 players or so since 2010! And Galchenyuk is one of them...nuts.

now onto his 6th team in 4 years...
Montreal
Arizona
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
Ottawa
Carolina

this could very well be the last stop ...

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I like this deal for both teams. Ottawa should get more out of Dzingel. Galchenyuk is looking done. Probably heading to waivers but Paquette is a good role players and this deal gives Carolina some added cap flexibility

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I remember wanting him so badly his draft year. Good thing I'm not a scout.

To be fair, he showed every sign of being a future star. His junior numbers are pretty stellar. And despite questionable development with the Habs, he had several good seasons, including a 30 goal one. He just... could never seem to build from there and fell off drastically. Kind of funny how Bergevin dodged two massive bullets no one saw coming in dumping Galchenyuk and Subban before they both imploded.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Poor Galchenyuk he's been such a suitcase and can't find security when it comes to an NHL team.
Poor Dzingel because he just can't escape the Ottawa Senators.

Wonder if Galchenyuk could break a record for most NHL teams played for.

Other question for me here is why wasn't it Stepan considering I understand he wants out of Ottawa.

It’s crazy how much he has fallen off from his 30 goal season at 21 years old. Don’t quote me on this but I just looked on nhl dot com for the list of players who had a 30 goal season by the time of 21 years old and there’s like 15 players or so since 2010! And Galchenyuk is one of them...nuts.

now onto his 6th team in 4 years...
Montreal
Arizona
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
Ottawa
Carolina

this could very well be the last stop ...

Carolina will issue him a uniform for taxi squad practice but unless a lot of forwards aren’t available I doubt Gally plays a single game for them.
ED3FFD6D-FBAD-47C9-8E5E-44D2BD14AD57.png

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
What else is there to say about someone who played a limited amount of games? He played solid when he played. The coach just favored other players for their roles, not against Galchenyuk. :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yes. Didn’t mesh with anyone in the top 6 and isn’t a good bottom 6 player so he basically wasn’t bringing anything to the team while being paid $3.3 mil

Why wouldn't he be a good third liner? He's speedy and chippy and can get in on the forecheck and apply pressure and crash the net scoring at a 30+ point pace. Isn't that an ideal third liner? He's not skilled enough to run an offensive line but he can play a speedy game and provide secondary scoring on the third line, no?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Other question for me here is why wasn't it Stepan considering I understand he wants out of Ottawa.

Paquette is actually a better fit for what Carolina needs right now. Geekie could use a bit more seasoning down in the A right now to get his mojo back since he doesn't have to clear waivers. Staal seems rejuvenated this season and Trocheck is playing like his 2017-18 form. A 4th line of Martinook-Paquette-Foegele would be one of the best energy lines in the league.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Montreal -> Arizona -> Pittsburgh -> Minnesota -> Ottawa -> Carolina

In 4 years.

Hes literally the new David Schlemko , kinda Hilarious
You’re comparing Galchenyuk to David Schlemko?

Schlemko was an undrafted player who managed to stay in the NHL until he was 31, he deserves to be shown more respect than that.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why wouldn't he be a good third liner? He's speedy and chippy and can get in on the forecheck and apply pressure and crash the net scoring at a 30+ point pace. Isn't that an ideal third liner? He's not skilled enough to run an offensive line but he can play a speedy game and provide secondary scoring on the third line, no?

Because our 3rd line is Staal down the middle with either Foegele, McGinn, or Fast on the wings. It’s a defensively responsible line and it’s working quite well. Necas filled in on RW when Fast was out as it was a good opportunity for him to learn defensive responsibility.

Dzingel just doesn’t do anything good enough to supplant those players. They are as good as him for offensive output (or better going by his time in Carolina) and miles better defensively.

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Galchenyuk is on his 6th(!) team in 4 seasons.

Yup, and to think some of the Habs fanbase though Michel Therrien was shortchanging this headcase. How clueless they were.

The truth is, nobody ever got better performances out of Galchenyuk than Michel Therrien did. And nobody will ever come close.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad