Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CAR] Ryan Dzingel for Cedric Paquette and Alex Galchenyuk

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
hasnt dzingel been kind of decent in carolina (just looking at stats here)? weird from their POV

Not really, I thought he was playing better than last season in which he was completely invisible most nights but he's an upcoming UFA who didn't really fit in here the way we were hoping he would. Him going back to Ottawa might be the best thing for him, at least he is familiar with the environment.

Carolina planning to play both players, or will one or both get waived and buried in the taxi squad/AHL?

Galchenyuk will likely not make the roster, we think Paquette will.

Reactions: Primetime8 and MMC

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I could see Ottawa retaining Dzingel beyond this season. Dzingel has scored at a 38pt pace outside of Ottawa, which I think is pretty realistic for what he can provide in a middle 6 role + PP. I wouldnt give him much but I think he can be a good stop-gap next year or even the next two so long as the price is right.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Like they were with Stepan and Galch himself and all these other veteran signings? I wouldn’t get my hopes up that Dzingel is going to increase his already marginal value in Ottawa.

That’s not to say it’s a bad deal for Ottawa...they traded two guys they got in the summer who are useless for them for one guy who potentially could be slightly less useless. It’s just not a very meaningful trade either way. Dzingel is not a very good NHL player at this stage.

Who in their right mind thought Galchenyuk would be reborn in Ottawa this year.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
hasnt dzingel been kind of decent in carolina (just looking at stats here)? weird from their POV

He was the odd man out after Williams came back last season. He would have been the odd man out again, if he had the Canes had acquired a forward at the deadline.

He was an awkward fit for Carolina's lineup construction. There's too much finesse with the Finns or Trocheck and Necas. Staal's is a grinding, matchup line.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Nice trade for both teams.

Carolina gets a 4th line C but most importantly gain a fair bit of cap space to bring in a big dollar player at the deadline.

Sens have a lot of cap space and dump two players who they didn't value well bringing back a vet who did well in Ottawa.

Reactions: Chrispy and DaveG

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Lol. Can't believe we got a real player for Paquette and Galchenyuk, but it's such an odd trade.

Paquette SUCKED here, but if he wanted out or whatever, maybe he'll suck less in Carolina. Repeat: he SUCKED here.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Clears cap for the Canes to trade for a future skater (maybe a goalie). Paquette is also a good guy to have come the playoffs.

Galchenyuk . . . well Idk what they'll do with him.

Reactions: DaveG

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Who in their right mind thought Galchenyuk would be reborn in Ottawa this year.

Lots of people if you go back and look at his signing thread. And to be fair, it wasn’t even mostly Ottawa fans. Guys who used to be high picks and or had a good season or two very early in their careers tend to linger in the minds of fans as potential reclamation projects long past their actual date of expiration.

It’s kind of related to that mentality where a prospect is good like in his 16 year old season and gets some shine but then completely falls off the map...and then when he gets taken in the 6th round of the draft, he’s gets crowned a “huge steal” even though he’s a completely marginal prospect at this point.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Paquette was miserable in Ottawa - had zero interest in being there and it was obvious. Maybe he'll be more invested in Carolina.
Was he really? I didn’t mind losing him from Tampa (especially before Stephens got hurt) but he was never apathetic. That’s surprising to hear. Sorry Sens fans. :(

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Galchenyuk is really talented.

Yet another new shot for him. Hoping this somehow works out this time.

Is he, though?

At 23 years old you could live with some of his flaws based on his age and his potential. But he's 27 now, he's likely as good as he's ever going to be. And he's still very much a flawed player.

He has some assets, but he never quite managed to put it all together and most likely never will at this point. It's also going to be his 5th team within 3 seasons. Something else has to be going on.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Was he really? I didn’t mind losing him from Tampa (especially before Stephens got hurt) but he was never apathetic. That’s surprising to hear. Sorry Sens fans. :(

Just terrible. He should be ashamed of himself to be honest. If he didn't want to be here, he really showed it. If it was just the way he is as a player, he's terrible.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Paquette is one of the worst players we’ve had on this team in years. Maybe he plays better in Carolina but just not having him here is a massive plus. The guy didn’t give a shit.

Can’t wait to see if Dzingel can get it going again now that he’s back.
In all fairness why should he give a shit when your ownership, management, and coach don't either?

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Just terrible. He should be ashamed of himself to be honest. If he didn't want to be here, he really showed it. If it was just the way he is as a player, he's terrible.
Damn, that’s disappointing to hear, even about a player I didn’t particularly care for.

Good on management for moving on quick, can’t have that kind of attitude set in amongst too many players if you’ve got a tough go of it the rest of the season.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I mean... Tampa fans watched Paquette for 6 years. Sens fans for 9 games. I wonder which fan base's opinion is more valuable.
It takes fewer than 9 games to see a player is checked out, even more so when the player in question gets by more on effort than talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad