OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies... IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who else?

Elway and Sakic are the clear answers for the other two teams.

Jokic might have displaced English this season.

Then Elway and Sakic obviously.

I think Jokic could get there, but 30 years removed, I don't think people realize how good Alex English really was. I'd argue he was a top 50 player of all time and certainly one of the best scorers of the 80s.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Elway and Sakic are the clear answers for the other two teams.

I think Jokic could get there, but 30 years removed, I don't think people realize how good Alex English really was. I'd argue he was a top 50 player of all time and certainly one of the best scorers of the 80s.
True, but Jokic is in the midst of greatest run by a Nugget.

Reactions: LostInMosEisley

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
True, but Jokic is in the midst of greatest run by a Nugget.

I don't even know about that... Jokic is in year 3 or 4 of what looks to be a great prime. English was a top ~10-15 player in the NBA for nearly a decade. Jokic has a higher high right now, but he hasn't sustained yet. If he plays at this level for 3-4 more years, he'll surpass English.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Mine would be: Elway, Davis, Sakic, and Forsberg.

Each is a HOFer. Each has multiple rings and greatly impacted that success. I think each has won mvps in their sports.

Helton can't touch that. Neither can English. The only people coming close are other Avs (Roy for example) or other Broncos (Miller maybe?).

The best ever season for a Rockies was probably Larry Walker in 1997. Helton hasn't come close to that. Its just that he played his entire career in Colorado.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I don't even know about that... Jokic is in year 3 or 4 of what looks to be a great prime. English was a top ~10-15 player in the NBA for nearly a decade. Jokic has a higher high right now, but he hasn't sustained yet. If he plays at this level for 3-4 more years, he'll surpass English.

I didn't watch English so I just have the stats/awards to go off of. English made 3 All-NBA 2nd teams, and his highest MVP finish was 6th overall. He did lead the league in scoring once and was consistently in the top 5. Jokic has made a 1st team All-NBA, 2nd team All-NBA, and finished 4th overall in MVP voting. He's going to win the MVP and grab another 1st team All-NBA selection this season.

I dunno. Jokic winning the MVP this year even if injuries played a role in it is huge. No Nugget has ever won it before. Even playoff success. Furthest English made it was the conference finals, same as Jokic.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I didn't watch English so I just have the stats/awards to go off of. English made 3 All-NBA 2nd teams, and his highest MVP finish was 6th overall. He did lead the league in scoring once and was consistently in the top 5. Jokic has made a 1st team All-NBA, 2nd team All-NBA, and finished 4th overall in MVP voting. He's going to win the MVP and grab another 1st team All-NBA selection this season.

I dunno. Jokic winning the MVP this year even if injuries played a role in it is huge. No Nugget has ever won it before. Even playoff success. Furthest English made it was the conference finals, same as Jokic.
And he should have been 1st team last year but the voters put in Unibrow out of position to kiss the Lakers asses.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jokic just scored 24 points....in a quarter

Easily the worst quarter/half Knicks have played all season, but the MVP is just too big for us to defend with a game being called this tightly. We had 3 fouls & a tech before the first two minutes of the game had even passed :laugh:

Some fun half-time stats: in starting PG Elfrid Payton's 8 minutes on the court we are -18. In the 16 minutes that Elf spent on the bench we were -3...just try to tell me that this FO didn't want to tank lol

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
My 4 would be Elway, Davis, Sakic and Forsberg as well.

English, Jokic, Helton, Billups, Missy Franklin, Dave Logan, Peyton Manning, Pat Bowlen would all be honorable mentions for me.

if I had to put together a miserable 4 it’d probably be Rae Carruth, Kenyon Martin, Carmelo and JR. I couldn’t stand that Thuggets era.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No doubt.

Shaq Harrison is almost making me forget about Gary, almost.
I was gunna ask; has Shaq Harrison been that feisty all year or did he just have the game of his life + we were just that sloppy? He was really hounding ballhandlers -- both on-ball & when he helped -- and did a great job of playing the passing lanes.

That combo of length & feisty guards around the Joker is a problem...even if MPJ still needs to realize that other players can't just shoot over everyone, so they actually move around without the ball when he's supposed to be defending them :laugh:

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Interesting to see that Malone went with a big lineup and beat the Knicks at their own game. Speaks to their versatility, they aren't necessarily a team that has to score a ton of points to beat an opponent.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Denver sports Mount Rushmore would be John Elway, Joe Sakic, Alex English, and probably Todd Helton. I get that Todd Helton was not ever the "greatest ever" Rockie, but he was the face of the franchise during their greatest successes. He was the number one biggest reason the team went on that insane tear in 2007. The man's a legend, I don't care what his stats say. It cannot be understated how he helped keep the Rockies franchise relevant despite the best efforts of the owner and GMs to make it otherwise.

The Greatest Evers are
Broncos - Elway
Avalanche - Sakic (yes, Sakic, not Forsberg)
Nuggets - English (that may change soon)
Rockies - Arenado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad