OT: Other Sports 72

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
‘Dark Arts’ and ‘Codebreaker’: The Origins of the Houston Astros Cheating Scheme

On Sept. 22, 2016, an intern in the Houston Astros organization showed general manager Jeff Luhnow a PowerPoint presentation that featured the latest creation by the team’s high-tech front office: an Excel-based application programmed with an algorithm that could decode the opposing catchers’ signs. It was called “Codebreaker.”
This was the beginning of what has turned into one of the biggest scandals in Major League Baseball history. Throughout the 2017 season and for part of 2018, Astros baseball operations employees and video room staffers used Codebreaker to illegally steal signs, which were then relayed to batters in real time. Another Astros employee referred to the system as the “dark arts.”

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I wonder how someone like Harold Reynolds, who watches baseball all the time and makes a living pointing out any nuance on the MLB Network shows, or an ESPN guy they have in the dugout never heard any of this. Even Deshaies--seems like half the season he's bored out of his mind trying to find something to talk about in the 5th inning of game number 109. If it can be heard on a telecast, someone nearby or within a few hundred feet had to say, what's that noise? Once the noise is recognized, then it would be pretty easy for an ex-player to say, hmm it seems like it's always on off-speed pitches.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
White sox agree to a contract with international free agent pitcher
Norge Carlos Vera from Cuba. $1.5 million signing bonus. The sox have $3.9 left to use. He's 19 years old. Can be official on July 2nd.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Former sox gordan beckham signs a minor league deal with San Diego.

I was completely wrong about him. Thought he was going to be a stud.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Starting pitcher Taijuan Walker to audition for the cubs in their camp.
No deal has been agreed upon but he would fit in the offseason of meh cheap moves.
Audition is over walker signs with the mariners.

Last edited:

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I have always liked the idea of letting teams choose their opponents but I hate the expanding the playoffs to 7 teams idea.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Still not a fan of having a playoff series before the divisional round like this. All that does is rust up the teams with byes. This is a half measure for those that think eight teams in the playoffs per league is too much. If they're going to do this, then just go to two or four divisions per league with four to six wild card teams, with a best of three for the wild card round, a best of five in the divisional round, and a best of seven for the championship series and World Series.

Last edited:

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Baseball is truly a wonderful game for surviving as long as it has despite the idiots that have been in charge of it for decades.
I actually liked Manfred at the start of his tenure, he seemed willing to listen to fans and was interested in making positive changes to the sport.

He's become an absolute joke.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Manfred and Silver both looked great because their predecessors were horrible. And then we discovered they sucked and/or catered to idiotic owner demands just as much as the old bosses.

I'm honestly of the belief that Bettman is the least bad of the big four commissioners at this point.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Manfred and Silver both looked great because their predecessors were horrible. And then we discovered they sucked and/or catered to idiotic owner demands just as much as the old bosses.

I'm honestly of the belief that Bettman is the least bad of the big four commissioners at this point.

Stern was good commish

Only the Seattle situation tarnishes his legacy

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Something about a 162 game season being decided by a single wildcard game or a best of 3 series doesn’t fit. It seems gimmicky.

What would be wrong with 8 teams from the AL and 8 from the NL being seeded #1-#8 and handling it like the NBA?

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad