OT: Other Sports 72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not a racing fan but it is nice to see Newman survived and will be okay (Still in serious condition but not life threatening injuries) after that horrific crash

Nascar has come long way in safety after the loss of Earnhardt

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This entire Astros thing is insane. I think i missed the discussion you guys had about it here. What do you think should have happened punishment-wise?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
This entire Astros thing is insane. I think i missed the discussion you guys had about it here. What do you think should have happened punishment-wise?

I think Manfred blew it by giving the players immunity. And you can't go back on that. I heard the argument that nobody would of talked if he didn't give immunity. But the one player already was talking, which blew this whole thing up.

I mean, you could of issued a 1 year suspension to every Astros player that was batting with the garbage can banging. The proof was already there without having to give them the immunity. It's all on video.

In a lot of ways, Manfred made this problem worse by being so light on the players, and even the team. What if they go on and win the World Series this coming season? Who isn't going to be sick to their stomach over that?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They should have been expelled from game and stripped of title

Shoeless Joe did less (If he even did anything wrong at all) then these Astros players and management and is banned for life

Manfred has been joke as commish and his comments about the WS trophy further show how pathetic he is

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
They should have been expelled from game and stripped of title

Shoeless Joe did less (If he even did anything wrong at all) then these Astros players and management and is banned for life

Manfred has been joke as commish and his comments about the WS trophy further show how pathetic he is
i have been waiting for someone to make this comparison and rightfully so. this is the only precedent that has brooch the subject of cheating...... regardless if it is to win or to lose games of importance. another example of possible using the game for one illegal benefit is Pete Rose.

as i said good job in bringing this up.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think Manfred blew it by giving the players immunity. And you can't go back on that. I heard the argument that nobody would of talked if he didn't give immunity. But the one player already was talking, which blew this whole thing up.

I mean, you could of issued a 1 year suspension to every Astros player that was batting with the garbage can banging. The proof was already there without having to give them the immunity. It's all on video.

In a lot of ways, Manfred made this problem worse by being so light on the players, and even the team. What if they go on and win the World Series this coming season? Who isn't going to be sick to their stomach over that?
this is a perfect example of big business interest ruling and not interfering with the personal interest of the owners.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

It's very unlikely that they could have suspended the players even without that, this all has come out in the last couple of days.

Without suspending the players, my ideal punishment would've been:
- Loss of 1st and 2nd round picks for 5 seasons
- 2 year ban on free agents
- 2 year ban on international signing
- Start 2020 with an 0-10 record (this is common in soccer, where a team will be docked points in the standings for financial issues)

But we all know those extremes would never be taken. In the end it's a business and you'd be punishing your customers more than anyone, who would say screw it and walk away from the game.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Stripping franchise of World Series title should have happened

It would be permanent acknowledgement of what they did and black mark on game

But of course MLB gave them slap on wrist

And then MLB will come down hard on teams when they throw at Astros ,, Frankly f*** em I hope they get hit every game

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Would’ve been nice to see SOMETHING for the players.

I think most baseball fans aren’t going to recognize the Astros 2017 WS or Altuve’s MVP anymore anyway. They should have at least been stripped of a lot of draft picks

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Would’ve been nice to see SOMETHING for the players.

I think most baseball fans aren’t going to recognize the Astros 2017 WS or Altuve’s MVP anymore anyway. They should have at least been stripped of a lot of draft picks

They should have banned them from post season play for a season or two

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
1. lawyers would need to be brought in to decide the outcome.
2. a trail and probably a public trail would need to have happen
3. pr's groups from both sides of the table, players and owners will then battle each other for the control of the public attentions (opinions).
4. at the end, baseball as a whole would take a huge black - eye.
5. corporate sponsors will need to determine what to do.
6. fans will be the last to this whole domino effect......

now tell me if either the players association nor the owners will wants all this crap ??

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
2 years is a huge ban. That would destroy a team
you know i respect your pov but no offense i disagree with you.

my reason is the cost of one's integrity and the msg is that it can be bought .......

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The Astros have yet to suffer any kind of punishment that would make me as a fan wish to undo a World Series title over, especially one that ended a long drought.

That should've been at the forefront here. If MLB's punishment is a slap on the wrist compared to the reward, then they sent the message that cheating's mostly okay. Even if they had a multiyear postseason ban, oh well.... still have the one championship, which for most teams with a window is probably the most they could reasonably expect anyway.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. We should all just collectively agree that the 2017 World Series never happened and refer to the Astros as still in the midst of a franchise-spanning drought. That's the only applicable response, and believe me as a Cubs fan if my team had cheated and everyone else just blasé acted like the win never happened, it'd be infuriating.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawksrule and LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Astros have yet to suffer any kind of punishment that would make me as a fan wish to undo a World Series title over, especially one that ended along drought.

That should've been at the forefront here. If MLB's punishment is a slap on the wrist compared to the reward, then they sent the message that cheating's mostly okay. Even if they had a multiyear postseason ban, oh well.... still have the one championship, which for most teams with a window is probably the most they could reasonably expect anyway.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. We should all just collective agree that the 2017 World Series never happened and refer to the Astros as still in the midst of a franchise-spanning drought. That's the only applicable response, and believe me as a Cubs fan if my team had cheated and everyone else just blasé acted like the win never happened, it'd be infuriating.
excellent end point to the whole sordid affair ......

btw ....... do not get me wrong in my thought process...... it was not the players who went to the front office with this idea......

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sure, but they still went along with it. If my title company told me to start charging outrageous or even false fees for title insurance, I'd still be an accessory to the fraud even if I wasn't the one that came up with the idea.

The Astros players took their marching orders and went along with the whole shebang. They were all dirty and knew they were breaking the rules.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Sure, but they still went along with it. If my title company told me to start charging outrageous or even false fees for title insurance, I'd still be an accessory to the fraud even if I wasn't the one that came up with the idea.

The Astros players took their marching orders and went along with the whole shebang. They were all dirty and knew they were breaking the rules.
i totally agree on everything you posted...... do not get me wrong, i am against both the players and org for this.

it is the pr people who is trying to use this as some sort of conventional social wisdom. for me conventional wisdom is define as an invention by some to paint an idea that all is well with a certain train of thought which is design to make it true.

they all deserve the exact degree of punishment that the Black Sox got, the same penalty of Pete Rose...... this was a concentrated effort by both side to cheat....

bottom line >>> Lady Justice is Blind for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->