OT: Other Sports 72

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Watched the first two episodes last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Now, a couple things to note:

It's very important to realize that this is, so far, coming with a very pro-MJ tilt, and he's had a very acrimonious relationship for years with Krause prior to his death, so while I have no doubt that it was foolish for him to really be so obviously eager to blow it up, we are so far getting just the opinions of people that didn't like him with the occasional compliment sandwich in there. The stated breaking point of Krause not wanting to risk MJ's career on rushing him back too early just seems like a no duh move to me that it being painted insinuously is mind-boggling to me.

Also important to note that Pippen getting paid so low was in large part a coefficient of Jordan getting paid so damn much. I'm not remotely suggesting the Jordan didn't deserve every penny, but he was making over $30 million a year at a time when only one other player was making over $15 million.

1. Michael Jordan (Chi) ..... 33,140,000
2. Patrick Ewing (NY) ....... 20,500,000
3. Horace Grant (Orl) ....... 14,285,714
4. Shaquille O'Neal (LAL) ... 12,857,143
5. David Robinson (SA) ...... 12,397,440
6. Alonzo Mourning (Mia) .... 11,254,800
7. Juwan Howard (Was) ....... 11,250,000
8. Hakeem Olajuwon (Hou) .... 11,156,000
9. Gary Payton (Sea) ........ 10,514,688
10. Dikembe Mutombo (Atl) .... 9,615,187
11. Reggie Miller (Ind) ...... 9,031,850
https://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/misc/salaries98.txt

For comparison's sake, the equivalent to that would be if the top two salaries in the NHL today were McDavid at $12.5 million and some other superstar at $20.2 million.

When someone on the team is making so damn much, is it really a surprise that the team has to penny pinch on other guys? Pippen had every right to want more, and Jordan had every right to want to keep his, but Jordan being annoyed decades later at Pippen being selfish when he already got paid was something that should've been hit a bit more than just passing comments by Jordan, imho.

But sensational documentary so far. Move over, Tiger King.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Watched the first two episodes last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Now, a couple things to note:

It's very important to realize that this is, so far, coming with a very pro-MJ tilt, and he's had a very acrimonious relationship for years with Krause prior to his death, so while I have no doubt that it was foolish for him to really be so obviously eager to blow it up, we are so far getting just the opinions of people that didn't like him with the occasional compliment sandwich in there. The stated breaking point of Krause not wanting to risk MJ's career on rushing him back too early just seems like a no duh move to me that it being painted insinuously is mind-boggling to me.

Also important to note that Pippen getting paid so low was in large part a coefficient of Jordan getting paid so damn much. I'm not remotely suggesting the Jordan didn't deserve every penny, but he was making over $30 million a year at a time when only one other player was making over $15 million.

For comparison's sake, the equivalent to that would be if the top two salaries in the NHL today were McDavid at $12.5 million and some other superstar at $20.2 million.

When someone on the team is making so damn much, is it really a surprise that the team has to penny pinch on other guys? Pippen had every right to want more, and Jordan had every right to want to keep his, but Jordan being annoyed decades later at Pippen being selfish when he already got paid was something that should've been hit a bit more than just passing comments by Jordan, imho.

Yeah, the way the slanted MJ's injury against Bulls management was interesting with one exception. You have him on this 14-minute restriction until they make the playoffs and then boom, no restrictions! I think Reinsdorf was fairly clear when he said the Bulls were not winning any championships that year, so why not have a better chance in the draft and rest Jordan.

Pippen signed that deal and while he was underpaid, 18 million over seven years is still good money at the time. Nobody was sure how much revenues would increase and Jerry told him it was a bad deal. Pippen just made a bad decision and acting out the way he did was not the way to earn a restructure of that deal. Prior to waiting to get the surgery, he had the whole fiasco of refusing to go into a playoff game because the last-minute shot was drawn up for Kukoc.

Jordan made way more off endorsements and Pippen had some as well. Pippen did have some issues when he was with the team, domestic abuse allegations and stopped with a gun in his vehicle. This may have limited his opportunities. It is like Jordan and Pippen don't understand at times if we pay both of you at the high point, you're going to have a bunch of scrubs around you. Hawks are an example of this right now.

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

For context, until 96-98 Jordan was making around $3m per year, which was ridiculously low.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
For context, until 96-98 Jordan was making around $3m per year, which was ridiculously low.

Very true, but in other consideration that'd be praised as insanely good cap management to get players to sign longterm at a low hit as an upswing in revenues is starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad