Other Arizona Sports Thread 4: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Awwww, the poor kitty cats showed their true colors. USC > UofA.

I don't think Rich Rod's Rats can hang with bigger, more physical teams. They were ideally suited to beat Oregon, but it's not surprising that they lose to a reeling, pretty mediocre USC team. They'll probably lose to UCLA and Utah as well.

ASU needs to exorcise the demon and beat Stanford.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Rich Rod strikes again.

Cardinals win vs the Redskins the Seahawks lose to the Cowboys.

49ers vs Rams tonight.

DBacks have a new manager.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Anyone else going to the UFC fight in December? I just bought my tickets.
I would, but I'll be in Europe #firstworldproblems

Colt45Blast said:
I don't pay for events that could end in a matter of seconds.
Thankfully, there are 10 fights on the card, 2 have immediate championship implications and 4 others feature guys who have fought for the title in the past. Lots of good fights. If you're a fan of the sport, it's worth shelling out the money to go to see the UFC in person at least once. I got to see Michael Bisping win and Dan Hardy get KTFO by an American at UFC 120 in London a few years ago, and you've never heard a building louder / quieter than that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Cool article on BA and his journey to be the Cards coach. The part about bringing in a Slip N Slide to teach Stanton how to get down is pretty damn funny.

The concept is as foreign as a butterfly on an ice floe: an NFL head coach who exudes -- rather than stifles -- personality. An NFL head coach who doesn't sound programmed to emit the least illuminating banalities. An NFL head coach who says, "I love the bull's-eye. I'm going to do this my way. You can fire me if you want, but I'm going to do it my way."

"He thinks he's cool," says linebacker Larry Foote. "You see the way he dresses? He got that swag. He hip to the game. He's as cocky as all these athletes in here." Could it be, despite everything we're told about the grind and the drudgery and the Donner Party-like slog of an NFL season, that it's possible for an NFL head coach -- sign-of-the-cross and please don't tell Bill Belichick -- to enjoy himself? "Oh, hell yeah," Arians says, acting like it's the craziest question ever. "I'm having a blast every day. You know why? Because I'm not coaching for my next job."

The laugh that follows is a purge, emptying nearly 40 years of game plans and play calls and disbelief that this last great chance almost didn't happen at all. It's the perfect soundtrack to the Arians philosophy:

Coach it like you stole it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...arizona-cardinals-plans-coaching-nothing-lose

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
ASU defense showed up to play last night. That was a fun game to watch.

The five star #2 OLB prospect in the nation Osa Masina was in attendance and everything looks good so far. #22 overall. Important that ASU get him and not UCLA.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The five star #2 OLB prospect in the nation Osa Masina was in attendance and everything looks good so far. #22 overall. Important that ASU get him and not UCLA.

That's great news. The better news is our defense is so young, it's going to be great to see what they can do later this year and into next year.

Did Kelly suit up at all last night? I thought I read that he was going to be splitting time. Are we just going with Berc since he's on fire right now?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are we just going with Berc since he's on fire right now?

For the foreseeable future, yeah. Both are in their last year of eligibility if I remember right, so kinda rough for TK to lose the starting job like that. Injured on a nothing play against a team (Colorado) that was already put away.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
For the foreseeable future, yeah. Both are in their last year of eligibility if I remember right, so kinda rough for TK to lose the starting job like that. Injured on a nothing play against a team (Colorado) that was already put away.

I thought Berc had 1 more year left. The stories I heard was he was thinking of transferring, but decided to stick around because after Kelly left he would be the starter for his last season. I could be wrong though. But yeah, it's a shame Kelly went down like that. Not only was he great at running the offense, but just watching the games the guys were behind his decisions.

If they are both done after this year, who do we have lined up at QB? I haven't been to an ASU game in a while, went to the Oregon game last year, but where I was sitting last night I just saw the sidelines. So many extra players on the sidelines.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If they are both done after this year, who do we have lined up at QB?

Manny Wilkins is the next man up and he's a big deal. Went to the Nike camps and all that, dual threat style. Amazing dude. He personally recruits a lot of these big name players and he's 100% all about being a Sun Devil. A running joke among people who care about FB recruiting; "A big name is interested in us? Fire up the Manny signal!"

He may get the job next year.

Berco is a grad student so I'm not sure how that works. I think he could have transferred this year and played immediately due to having his degree, rather than having to sit out for a year like you normally do.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Manny Wilkins is the next man up and he's a big deal. Went to the Nike camps and all that, dual threat style. Amazing dude. He personally recruits a lot of these big name players and he's 100% all about being a Sun Devil. A running joke among people who care about FB recruiting; "A big name is interested in us? Fire up the Manny signal!"

He may get the job next year.

Berco is a grad student so I'm not sure how that works. I think he could have transferred this year and played immediately due to having his degree, rather than having to sit out for a year like you normally do.

Ugh, I wish I knew more about those coming up(not only with ASU, but all the teams I like).

But what you are saying sounds great. Where did he come from? If he were to play next year, how many years would he be with us?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Where did he come from? If he were to play next year, how many years would he be with us?

He's from California. That's the main recruiting territory for all the west coast schools. ASU has made some inroads to Texas, Utah, and Louisiana with Graham though, due to his connections. Jaelen Strong he knew about while at Pitt.

Guys can leave for the NFL after three years. With QBs, it's about when they feel ready and what the draft looks like.

Some reading: http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...anny-already-man-asu-fun-spring-game/7926445/

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
B0WKy31IQAIA22H.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad