NESN OT: NESN production issues (audio, video, graphics, programming)

FribbleLine

Jul 13, 2014
Ocean State
Not sure where else to ask, but did anyone watch that new NESN On Course With Andy Brickley show? First episode was yesterday with Krug

Haven't seen it yet wondering if its worth checking out

I thought it's pretty good. The episode with Bruce Cassidy was very good. I really like him.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
They have to do something with the arena lights, the leds around the balcony particularly,that affect the color of the ice. As TVs get better it's more noticeable. It was driving me insane last night on my new TV. Light hue of red, then light hue yellow, light hue blue, finally normal lighting, rinse repeat.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Curious how people found the picture quality for the Philly game?

I have a reason for asking.

On my new tv the game seemed much brighter. That's why I asked you if they had installed the new lights like some of the other teams have done.

They have to do something with the arena lights, the leds around the balcony particularly,that affect the color of the ice. As TVs get better it's more noticeable. It was driving me insane last night on my new TV. Light hue of red, then light hue yellow, light hue blue, finally normal lighting, rinse repeat.

I got get a hue change once and didn't again (yellowish).

Just brighter and sharper contrast.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth

I went to the game last night and the change in brightness from ribbon ads was more noticeable. I might be wrong, but I think they darkened the crowd like some other arenas do (not as much as some though). There used to be consistent lighting throughout the arena.

Am I wrong?

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
On the radio side, how did Johnston do? Was watching Jack and Brick so haven't had a chance to hear the auditioning play-by-play guys.

He was good. Just so different not hearing Goucher it's almost hard to make a judgement because you're so used to how Goucher calls the game. Such a professional, great at what he does.

You hear a difference when Postma scored, it just didn't sound the same for me. Something about the way Goucher says "SCOREEE" doesn't compare, but Johnston did fine...

I like listening to Dave Goucher can you tell??? :laugh:

Judge Smails

How 'bout a Fresca?
Jan 20, 2004
Bushwood CC
Curious how people found the picture quality for the Philly game?

I have a reason for asking.

It's hard for me to say because it's been a while since I've seen a game on NESN. Last year, I thought there was a noticeable improvement in picture quality in games that were in NBC/NBCSN over NESN.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
The only thing I really don't like about NESN broadcasts is the scoreboard scrawl at the bottom -- totally not needed in this day and age. It takes up space and is distracting and tedious. Plus, if you happen to be DVRing a different sporting event once and awhile it becomes even more irritating.

Why do they do it? There almost never seem to be ads associated with it, and if they wanted they could simply run occasional ads at the bottom of the screen.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
What can't NESN.com do a recap page like this - ( well I know the reason but .... )

Rangers 3, Bruins 2 (OT)

The NESN website looks like something from 10 years ago and that is being kind.
It's the worst. Never loads correctly with constant pop ups that screw up. Horrible website from a station like NESN.No app, cmon. They are really irrelevant lately. They're 15 minute updates are lame. Website is laughable. Seems like they're getting ready to sell. If the Red Sox aren't in season, they completely are unwatchable.
I guess they figure they don't need to invest in the product since they are the only one in town. Csnne is blowing them away. It's sad to say that I go to the other station to listen to lameboy Haggs over NESN. Jacobs is so out of touch with his 20percent ownership. Poorly run station IMO, for atop sports market.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
My son, who doens't notice shit even said the other night.. "Why is NESN so bad?"

I just laughed.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's the worst. Never loads correctly with constant pop ups that screw up. Horrible website from a station like NESN.No app, cmon. They are really irrelevant lately. They're 15 minute updates are lame. Website is laughable. Seems like they're getting ready to sell. If the Red Sox aren't in season, they completely are unwatchable.
I guess they figure they don't need to invest in the product since they are the only one in town. Csnne is blowing them away. It's sad to say that I go to the other station to listen to lameboy Haggs over NESN. Jacobs is so out of touch with his 20percent ownership. Poorly run station IMO, for atop sports market.
CSN hasn't existed in months, chizzler

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My son, who doens't notice **** even said the other night.. "Why is NESN so bad?"

I just laughed.

I do a better job posting highlights and dressing room interviews in the PGT than NESN does on the website.

Tom Werner had a good sense for sitcoms 30-35 years ago and made his fortune but he is clueless about the internet age.

NESN under John Harrington was one of the best RSN's in the country, now it ranks at the bottom.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I do a better job posting highlights and dressing room interviews in the PGT than NESN does on the website.

Tom Werner had a good sense for sitcoms 30-35 years ago and made his fortune but he is clueless about the internet age.

NESN under John Harrington was one of the best RSN's in the country, now it ranks at the bottom.
Yes you do!!

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Tom Werner also knew about Cosby’s treatment of women during that 80’s money grab

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tom Werner also knew about Cosby’s treatment of women during that 80’s money grab

Werner let Cosby call the shots on that show. Fox example Cosby demanded the show be taped in New York and Werner went along.

Right now he is involved with the Roseanne revival that comes back in January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad