NESN OT: NESN production issues (audio, video, graphics, programming)

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
Are they upgrading the cameras that they have on the moon that they typically cut to during a powerplay or shootout attempt making it impossible to see the net or the play develop?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That doesn't apply to us folks on DIRECTV

DirecTV is another kettle of fish.

NESN sends the uncompressed signal by fiber to WGBH-TV's uplink in Needham and then the fun begins. WGBH then sends a compressed package of EVERY NESN feed to here.

http://www.lyngsat.com/AMC-11.html

NESN Boston
MPEG-4/HD
PowerVu 5 510 500 E AC3
NESN Plus
MPEG-4/HD
PowerVu 6 610 600 E AC3
NESN Connecticut
MPEG-4/HD
PowerVu 7 710 700 E AC3
NESN Providence
MPEG-4/HD
PowerVu 8 810 800 E AC3
NESN National
MPEG-4/HD
PowerVu 9 910 900 E AC3
NESN Maine
MPEG-4/HD
PowerVu 10 1010 1000 E AC3
Catholic TV LyngSat Stream
MPEG-4/HD
PowerVu 11 1110 11.0 E AC3
NESN Xtra

DirecTV in Colorado then picks the feed that looks the cleanest to them - you can tell by what weather person you get in the pre and post game shows and then sends it here.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/DirecTV-USA-103W.html

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
DirecTV is another kettle of fish.

NESN sends the uncompressed signal by fiber to WGBH-TV's uplink in Needham and then the fun begins. WGBH then sends a compressed package of EVERY NESN feed to here.

http://www.lyngsat.com/AMC-11.html

DirecTV in Colorado then picks the feed that looks the cleanest to them - you can tell by what weather person you get in the pre and post game shows and then sends it here.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/DirecTV-USA-103W.html

I assume the same thing happens for FiOS? I always wondered why sometimes we get the local Fox 25 guy, and sometimes we get whoever it is in Rhode Island or Connecticut. Cue the "The More You Know" rainbow-star.

Heck, I sometimes wonder why we get the weather for a hockey game to begin with. Is NESN so baseball-centric that they forget where NHL hockey is played for 1226 out of the 1230 games per year? I get it if it's a big storm that's preventing fans from getting to a stadium, but the outdoor shots NESN often provides coming back from a break should help people figure out why there are so many empty seats if they play the game anyway.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I am not sure what the channel numbers are, but DirectTV has there dedicated channels playing Documentaries that are 4K, so it's not a known network per say, but is a dedicated.

As far as I know,no one broadcasts in 4K except maybe a a couple of outlets. The broadcaster,transmission service and receiver must all be 4K capable. With 8K on the horizon,not sure if they eventually do the step up or the giant leap.

flooredaccord

Apr 30, 2011
Anyone know what nesn is doing at the dunk? Out plowing and seen the trailer in back. Only thing I see happening is pc friars basketball and according to nesn TV schedule that's not on nesn

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Anyone know what nesn is doing at the dunk? Out plowing and seen the trailer in back. Only thing I see happening is pc friars basketball and according to nesn TV schedule that's not on nesn

Fox Sports (FS1) is renting the truck for the Providence game.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NESN Sports Today to launch a remodeled side panel

Starting Tuesday night following the Red Sox game, the news and highlights program NESN Sports Today will feature significant changes to its “side panel,†that familiar rail of information down the left side of the screen. Rather than using the space only to emphasize the topic being discussed at the time by the anchors or tease what is coming up — a format NESN uses now, as does ESPN’s SportsCenter — it instead will aspire to give a New England-based sports fan everything he or she needs to know in an 11- or 12-minute window.

It may sound like a daunting task, or perhaps one resulting in a busy screen overwhelmed with data. It’s true that it probably is daunting — NESN has been working on this project since last summer — but only because the network has done a remarkable job of making the presentation of a large and diverse amount of information seem viewer-friendly, concise, and informative.

nesn_panels.jpg

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
With Boston Sports Tonight on CSN becoming unwatchable I may give this show another chance.

What the heck are they doing over there. Self distruction? I don't want to go back to NESN.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What the heck are they doing over there. Self destruction? I don't want to go back to NESN.

CSN-NE was ordered to do this by the bosses in Philadelphia - all the CSN's have gone this route. Early returns indicate it has backfired badly in all markets.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
CSN-NE was ordered to do this by the bosses in Philadelphia - all the CSN's have gone this route. Early returns indicate it has backfired badly in all markets.

I hope some of those bosses didn't come from espn.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Not sure if this has been discussed, but the ticker that is running during the Bruins games is incredibly annoying and distractions.

It's been discussed here a lot - everyone hates it. It's not going anywhere; supposedly some weird relationship between FSN and NESN forces them to put the ticker on during Bruins games.

Of course, they would NEVER dream of putting the goddamn ticker up during Red Sox games. That would be sacrilege. We need the full screen to make sure we get to see every time a baseball player "adjusts" himself.

I won't say I like the bottom ticker. But it doesn't really block anything, and I've learned to not look at it....just like I never look at the two giant rings at the Garden, because they only flash advertisements.

I'm still going to say that the new graphics for hockey games are awful. Just like MLBAM ruined NHL.com by making a hockey website look like a baseball website (and by making the sites designed for a tablet, even on a desktop), NESN's homogenization of baseball and hockey graphics just doesn't work for me. I'll say it again: clock too small. NESN bug redundant and annoying, taking up 1/4 of the space. No use of team colors/logos. Power play clock in possibly the stupidest location possible. Probably took/takes new viewers 4-5 power plays to realize that there actually is a brown "code" to tell which team is on the PP...but FFS, just put it below the team on the PP like every other sane RSN. Preferably in that team's color.

On the bright side, during the playoffs, the Garden actually displayed some highly advanced technology - finally, after years, the jumbotron shows the number of shots not only during 5v5, but also during power plays. I can't wait until that thing gets taken down and they put in a real board that shows players on ice and TOI...and maybe even goals/assists?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad