NESN OT: NESN production issues (audio, video, graphics, programming)

hawk93x

May 18, 2009
MA
I couldn't find any recent threads on this. I just hooked up a surround sound system in my basement. NESN only comes through in 2 channels (my left and right front speakers) -- even when I switch through the sound field options. Most of the other cable channels seem to be fine.

Is this a NESN broadcast issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I couldn't find any recent threads on this. I just hooked up a surround sound system in my basement. NESN only comes through in 2 channels (my left and right front speakers) -- even when I switch through the sound field options. Most of the other cable channels seem to be fine.

Is this a NESN broadcast issue?

NESN has always stunk when it comes to audio. They claim it is 5.1 but they do not mix it properly. Not to mention the levels of on ice and crowd noise compared to Jack and Brick is terrible. You can barely here any on ice or crowd but it feels like Jack and Brick are right next to me yelling in my ear.

It is the same with Red Sox games as well.

A great comparison is the next time Bruins are playing or you have it DVR'd and NBC Sports is broadcasting a game, switch back and forth. It is night and day.

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
NESN has always stunk when it comes to audio. They claim it is 5.1 but they do not mix it properly. Not to mention the levels of on ice and crowd noise compared to Jack and Brick is terrible. You can barely here any on ice or crowd but it feels like Jack and Brick are right next to me yelling in my ear.

A great comparison is the next time Bruins are playing or you have it DVR'd and NBC Sports is broadcasting a game, switch back and forth. It is night and day.

There was a moment during the Pitts game where I couldn't hear Jack over the P.A. guy announcing penalties.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Nesn audio described in two words

Pure ****

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Well, I don't know about that. I think NESN is uneven. But NBC Sports isn't great either. There are times it sounds like they're playing in an empty arena when they're on NBC.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Well, I don't know about that. I think NESN is uneven. But NBC Sports isn't great either. There are times it sounds like they're playing in an empty arena when they're on NBC.

Good point.

Then make a comparison when NBC Sunday games start back up. That I know is definitively a better mix.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
Listen closely next time the end-of-period buzzer sounds, the sound switches from absolute **** to tremendous 5.1 for the intermission, then goes right back to absolute **** once Jack and Brick come back. I don't understand it but I am getting sick of it. What the **** NESN

edit: I have FIOS if anyone experiences the same issue...

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Listen closely next time the end-of-period buzzer sounds, the sound switches from absolute **** to tremendous 5.1 for the intermission, then goes right back to absolute **** once Jack and Brick come back. I don't understand it but I am getting sick of it. What the **** NESN

I forgot about that.

Also when there are sound effects for when the NESN scoreboard appears. Pure 5.1 all around.

I have DirecTV and from what I have read in DBSTalk and AVS forums it is not the provider, it is the source that is responsible.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
It sucks so bad. I'd rather be hearing the skates on the ice, sticks, and boards than Jack Edwards being overzealous on everything. NBCSN has a much more balanced sound. It's disappointing.

Last edited:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Yes, it's very noticable, like someone flipping a switch. Weird.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
They must be doing something deliberate too as I noticed at the end of each period when Jack & Brick do the wrap up paragraph kind of thing before sending it to Dale, there's some kind of switch that happens where a word or two will echo or someone turns the treble or whatever.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
the center channel issue is new. ive always had jack and brick on the center, but this year it isnt working.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Watched Philly-Chicago on NBCSN last night and the audio was quite different from a NESN broadcast.

IrishBruin

Mar 17, 2011
Recife, Brasil
I hope that, in the future, technology allows for viewers to watch the games with ot without announcers.

Skysports had that option for the Premier League games in the UK and Ireland. Was a bit of a gimmick that wore off quickly. Not sure if the option is still there or not. I would take it ten times out of ten though, if it meant not listening to a Pens broadcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad