NESN OT: NESN production issues (audio, video, graphics, programming)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Can we bet through the NESN app yet?
Actually, the app is ready to go if and when Massachusetts approves it

NESN sees big bucks in gambling revenue BUT

The big hangup in Massachusetts is the Senate wants to forbid lines from being shown during a game broadcast and uses the UK as an example.

There is no way Massachusetts can enforce this as they have NO control over broadcast or cable stations.

Reactions: dafoomie

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
This new betting show on NESN (Ultimate Betting Show) just might be the worst thing they have ever aired.

View attachment 564009

I think “Sox Appeal” is the worst thing they’ve ever aired, but I’m sure that won’t stop them from trying to lower the bar.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think “Sox Appeal” is the worst thing they’ve ever aired, but I’m sure that won’t stop them from trying to lower the bar.
Sox Appeal was bad

Ultimate Betting Show is a complete train wreck.

The Bruins are not thrilled with NESN and concede they blundered when they had the first option of buying out the original stake of 20% that WSBK had in the channel when it was formed in 1984. At the time it was Red Sox 50%, Bruins 30%, and WSBK 20%.

NESN was the brainchild of 2 despicable people -Buddy LeRoux and Paul Mooney.

Mooney started skimming Papa Jacobs when he became involved with WPLM-FM that somehow became the flagship of both the Red Sox and Bruins. Mooney was 'fired' but Jacobs still arranged for Mooney to get a job with the Sabres.

When NESN launched in 1984 it was barebones but there were eager freelancers looking for a shot (including myself)

When NESN was based at Fenway Park (1984-2006) the studio was designed for radio but some very credible shows were shot there.

NESN moved to Watertown in 2006 and it was the second-best studio north of Manhattan with the exception of ESPN in Connecticut.

Things then fell apart behind the camera - Werner/Henry decided to eliminate health insurance to staffers who then tried to join a union. NESN workers had full benefits without joining a union under John Harrington. Werner demanded that had to end. It was ugly.

The reality is the Bruins are stuck on NESN as they have no viable options. At NBC Sports Boston they would be #2 behind the Celtics.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Sox Appeal was bad

Ultimate Betting Show is a complete train wreck.

The Bruins are not thrilled with NESN and concede they blundered when they had the first option of buying out the original stake of 20% that WSBK had in the channel when it was formed in 1984. At the time it was Red Sox 50%, Bruins 30%, and WSBK 20%.

NESN was the brainchild of 2 despicable people -Buddy LeRoux and Paul Mooney.

Mooney started skimming Papa Jacobs when he became involved with WPLM-FM that somehow became the flagship of both the Red Sox and Bruins. Mooney was 'fired' but Jacobs still arranged for Mooney to get a job with the Sabres.

When NESN launched in 1984 it was barebones but there were eager freelancers looking for a shot (including myself)

When NESN was based at Fenway Park (1984-2006) the studio was designed for radio but some very credible shows were shot there.

NESN moved to Watertown in 2006 and it was the second-best studio north of Manhattan with the exception of ESPN in Connecticut.

Things then fell apart behind the camera - Werner/Henry decided to eliminate health insurance to staffers who then tried to join a union. NESN workers had full benefits without joining a union under John Harrington. Werner demanded that had to end. It was ugly.

The reality is the Bruins are stuck on NESN as they have no viable options. At NBC Sports Boston they would be #2 behind the Celtics.

They need to start looking at options and possibly light a fire under that jerk Werner. Can they talk to NBC and maybe make some plans for the future?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
however, if it wasn't for CMO would we have either Behind the B OR Bruins Academy, since it's Charlie's production company that does both of those shows,

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Can we list them as “1A” and “1B” on that list? CMO is really, really awful.

That works for me :nod:

They need to start looking at options and possibly light a fire under that jerk Werner. Can they talk to NBC and maybe make some plans for the future?

There isn't anything stopping them from selling their interest in NESN and using that money to help fund going on their own- look at the Evil Empire's YES channel. Yeah I know the Skanks are worth a lot more than the Bruins but the example is there to follow.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That works for me :nod:

There isn't anything stopping them from selling their interest in NESN and using that money to help fund going on their own- look at the Evil Empire's YES channel. Yeah I know the Skanks are worth a lot more than the Bruins but the example is there to follow.
YES is more the Devils like SNY is to the Mets it's like why MSG has the Islanders/Rangers/Sabres all on one RSN but starting a 3rd RSN here is problematic in itself then you've gotta convince the Comcasts/Charters et all to carry it... that's why even divesting them off NESN, AS @Fenway said you're not even the primary on NBC Sports Boston you're in the same position as the B's are now TV-Wise, the difference is NBC Sports Boston doesn't have the overflow channel that NESN already has as a must carry when two events collide as NESN+ became that option

MrMars

May 26, 2006
NESN is beta testing 4K streaming on the AppleTV starting tonight. Curious if a Xfinity login would work for the 4K.

As a NESN 360 subscriber, you have early access to Red Sox home games in 4K HDR on the NESN 360 app. Starting tonight, you may see a third live feed on your Apple TV or iPhone when a 4K HDR viewing experience might be available.

If you've had your Apple TV open, please re-start it to see the third feed.

Please note that this is still a beta experience, meaning we’re actively working on how to perfect the experience so you can enjoy the enhanced viewing quality. If you run into issues, feel free to switch to the regular NESN live card on the app to go back to the HD feed.

We would love to hear your feedback as we continue to work on this experience! For some frequently asked questions and to send us your feedback, visit NESN.com/4KFeedback.

I use a Verizon login (don’t subscribe to 360 directly) and got this email.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
NESN is beta testing 4K streaming on the AppleTV starting tonight. Curious if a Xfinity login would work for the 4K.

As a NESN 360 subscriber, you have early access to Red Sox home games in 4K HDR on the NESN 360 app. Starting tonight, you may see a third live feed on your Apple TV or iPhone when a 4K HDR viewing experience might be available.

If you've had your Apple TV open, please re-start it to see the third feed.

Please note that this is still a beta experience, meaning we’re actively working on how to perfect the experience so you can enjoy the enhanced viewing quality. If you run into issues, feel free to switch to the regular NESN live card on the app to go back to the HD feed.

We would love to hear your feedback as we continue to work on this experience! For some frequently asked questions and to send us your feedback, visit NESN.com/4KFeedback.

I use a Verizon login (don’t subscribe to 360 directly) and got this email.
Enjoy paying $30 a month

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad