NESN OT: NESN production issues (audio, video, graphics, programming)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Incridably annoying watching a baseball game with so many distraction on the screen.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
No NESN Red Sox telecast tonight unfortunately. Instead we get to watch the ESPN Crew with the ladies softball player as an "analyst". How they could let Shilling go for this dribble is beyond me.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No NESN Red Sox telecast tonight unfortunately. Instead we get to watch the ESPN Crew with the ladies softball player as an "analyst". How they could let Shilling go for this dribble is beyond me.

I agree her being named an analyst for a game she never played is odd but that is the direction Bristol Clown College decided to go.

As far as why Schilling was fired it was self inflicted. If my boss was paying me $2.5 million and suggested to me not to use social media I would go out and buy a flip phone. ESPN gave him a chance to rebuild his life after he was wiped out financially but he couldn't help himself.

NO DISCUSSION OVER THE CONTENTS OF SHILLING'S TWEETS PLEASE

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I agree her being named an analyst for a game she never played is odd but that is the direction Bristol Clown College decided to go.

As far as why Schilling was fired it was self inflicted. If my boss was paying me $2.5 million and suggested to me not to use social media I would go out and buy a flip phone. ESPN gave him a chance to rebuild his life after he was wiped out financially but he couldn't help himself.

NO DISCUSSION OVER THE CONTENTS OF SHILLING'S TWEETS PLEASE
One question: as a fan, to whom would you rather listen describing the game, a guy who has played the game with distinction over many years, or a former softball player who has no experience in professional baseball?

And, if Shilling had to go because Bristol Clown College curriculum, couldn't ESPN have found someone who is fluent in the nuances of the game and the ability to articulate it?

Thank you, NBC, for showing the SC Finals with capable announcers and analysts at the same time as ESPN's disappointing efforts.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One question: as a fan, to whom would you rather listen describing the game, a guy who has played the game with distinction over many years, or a former softball player who has no experience in professional baseball?

And, if Shilling had to go because Bristol Clown College curriculum, couldn't ESPN have found someone who is fluent in the nuances of the game and the ability to articulate it?

1. Of course

2. I will just say bring back

joe-morgan.jpg

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
At least Schilling could articulate to what was in front of him. The best second baseman ever Morgan most of the time couldn't point out which teams were playing in front of him.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I know I'm late on this but feel it's an important piece of information a lot of you are missing. 're: Remys opinion on translators: Sanchez is a Spanish speaking kid who doesn't speak English yet and also has a translator in dugout. Just another piece of the situation.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I know I'm late on this but feel it's an important piece of information a lot of you are missing. 're: Remys opinion on translators: Sanchez is a Spanish speaking kid who doesn't speak English yet and also has a translator in dugout. Just another piece of the situation.
I don't think anyone has a problem with interpreters in the dugout or clubhouse. Matsusaka had one.It's dragging them onto the field with the coach or manager that bothered Remy and many fans. It's frustrating when the league is trying to speed up the game. I mean, Okajima, Uehara and Tazawa learned enough "baseball English" to get by without a problem.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't think anyone has a problem with interpreters in the dugout or clubhouse. Matsusaka had one.It's dragging them onto the field with the coach or manager that bothered Remy and many fans. It's frustrating when the league is trying to speed up the game. I mean, Okajima, Uehara and Tazawa learned enough "baseball English" to get by without a problem.

Does it actually take significantly longer to bring out a translator along with the coach and manager? I genuinely would like to know, and my gut says no. It's the same 30 second clock with or without a translator, right? Start the clock when any member of the manager/coach/translator entourage starts to get up to go to the mound, instead of when they reach the mound...if that's not how they do it already.

If the real goal is to cut the length of baseball games, banning translators on the mound would likely be an example of "penny wise, pound foolish" - there are other places to tighten up. For example, limiting the number of visits to the mound in the first place. Throw the book at pitchers who constantly throw to first on players who aren't going to steal. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not really a "baseball person". Heck, if they were really serious about it, they could nuke some of baseball's traditions. The home team is no longer the team that bats last...it's the team with the better record, to cause more 8.5 inning games. Heck, make it eight inning games. Limit foul-tips on the third strike.

Back on topic...is it just me, or is NESN doing a LOT more fast-paced cutting, and picking a lot of different angles for Sox games now? I don't watch Sox games with rapt attention, and whenever I look up at a batter, it seems they're picking a shot other than the main angle...and, consequently, the score and other info isn't on screen. I don't like it...it feels like it's catering to and/or triggering ADHD folks.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

Right, I get that....but when you're talking about Tanaka and Sanchez trying to communicate with each other, can those against translators at mound at least understand the miscommunication that could happen to those two if no translator? Neither has a strong grip on the language, never mind the respective language of each other. Besides, it took 10 seconds. Remy finds something to complain about every game it seems. He sounds like a crotchety old man.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Perhaps, in the future, we get to the point where everything is customizable.

Be able to go with no box score if you so choose.

Be able to mute the commentators, change camera angles, etc.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Not sure what the complaint is, you want more screen dedicated to fans in the background? At least there's something to look at in times of lull

On behalf of the other members of anti-sidebar nation:

The problem isn't really when its on a shot like that, at least in my opinion. They've toned it down, but the first game the sidebar was over almost everything in the entire game

I don't have a problem with it on cut away shots like that quickly, but the fact that they're giving news updates while guys are pitching is annoying

I don't have a problem with how they're doing it now, which is sparingly, and not over any action

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Not sure where else to ask, but did anyone watch that new NESN On Course With Andy Brickley show? First episode was yesterday with Krug

Haven't seen it yet wondering if its worth checking out

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Not sure where else to ask, but did anyone watch that new NESN On Course With Andy Brickley show? First episode was yesterday with Krug

Haven't seen it yet wondering if its worth checking out

I saw the episode with Jim Rice and loved it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad