NESN OT: NESN production issues (audio, video, graphics, programming)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the link. You're right that he seemed upset about the value of the show.

What I didn't see, however, is where Werner said he knew about Cosbys treatment of women as the other poster stated.

Cosby was fodder in the New York Post gossip pages pretty much weekly in the 80's. Werner didn't care, NBC didn't care and if someone needed to be paid off it was done out of petty cash.

How big was Cosby in the 80's? Game 5 of the World Series was pushed back so Cosby could air at the regular time.

Reactions: BMC

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Cosby was fodder in the New York Post gossip pages pretty much weekly in the 80's. Werner didn't care, NBC didn't care and if someone needed to be paid off it was done out of petty cash.

How big was Cosby in the 80's? Game 5 of the World Series was pushed back so Cosby could air at the regular time.
He was certainly a TV giant and icon back in the day. The good news for him is that he doesn't look as bad as he once did thanks to Charlie Rose, Matt Lauer, etc, etc, etc...............

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
THAT DOESN'T BEGIN until March to almost April

ABC has pushed it back to late March but production on the highly-anticipated revival’s nine episodes, which will air Tuesday nights at 8:30 p.m., wrapped this week in Studio City, California.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The folks that work in the trenches at NESN are just as frustrated as viewers are.

The graphics for hockey pale compared to other RSN's. Studio segments that are sandwiched around live action have become dull. Alex Kraemer has been a disaster as a rinkside reporter. I have seen better production values on stations in Maine than what we see on NESN Today.

NESN has now agreed to pick up a weekly variety show taped in Bangor called cleverly 'The Nite Show' :help:

The infomercials are a fact of life and the truth is they bring in over a million dollars a year in revenue at no up front cost to NESN.

Reactions: talkinaway

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
The folks that work in the trenches at NESN are just as frustrated as viewers are.

The graphics for hockey pale compared to other RSN's. Studio segments that are sandwiched around live action have become dull. Alex Kraemer has been a disaster as a rinkside reporter. I have seen better production values on stations in Maine than what we see on NESN Today.

NESN has now agreed to pick up a weekly variety show taped in Bangor called cleverly 'The Nite Show' :help:

The infomercials are a fact of life and the truth is they bring in over a million dollars a year in revenue at no up front cost to NESN.

Alex Kraemer is horrible.
I want Jamie Erdahl back

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Is she ever. She is an absolute failure and the word disaster is bang on. NESN is hopelessly stuck in an ESPN early 2000's mindset. "Tune in after the game to get the latest on..." Really? Where else would I find that info??? :laugh:

Reactions: BMC and Fenway

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Werner let Cosby call the shots on that show. Fox example Cosby demanded the show be taped in New York and Werner went along.

Right now he is involved with the Roseanne revival that comes back in January.

Werner let the stars of his shows run amuck- anything they wanted they could have or do. I know someone who was one of Roseanne Barr's handlers in the 90s- she became a terror in that respect. I won't watch the re-boot for the same reason I won't watch the re-boot of Will & Grace: been there, done that and nothing new to see.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Oh.my.God. I'll watch anything but that jerk. I keep waiting for one of his fishing guests to toss his ass off of the boat but no luck so far.

Now THAT I would even watch. :thumbu: From the little I've seen Charlie Moore comes off like one of those guys that just doesn't belong where he is (he's definitely outkicked his coverage) but acts like the guy who wants everyone to know how "great" he's doing. Shows how bad NESN is, who even watches this show?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Werner let the stars of his shows run amuck- anything they wanted they could have or do. I know someone who was one of Roseanne Barr's handlers in the 90s- she became a terror in that respect. I won't watch the re-boot for the same reason I won't watch the re-boot of Will & Grace: been there, done that and nothing new to see.
it may only be 9 episodes.... the rest of that's up to ABC, BUT THERE ARE OTHER producers other than Werner involved.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I'm a terrible viewer - I literally can only focus on the actual action, and can only "hear" Jack and Brick between the whistles. And I always ignore the rinkside reporting - how many ways can a breathless athlete say "We have to be stronger on the puck" and "We're glad we're not giving them many chances"? I forgive Alex Kraemer being a disaster simply because I don't notice.

But the graphics in-game are absolutely horrible. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: fans are not going to figure out that you're shading the team on the PP that weird orange-brown color until maybe the fifth or sixth time they see it, if that. PP clock under PP team - it's that frikkin' simple. SN does it. NBCSN/NBC/NBCSRegional does it. Fox Sports Regional does it. In my insta-survey just now of the NHL YouTube condensed games, the only PP graphic I saw that's close to as bad as NESN is the AT&T/Sweet Golden Knights graphics, but there's at least a little bit of shading under the team on the PP. I'm glad there's a little frustration in the trenches, and hope that it trickles up.

I do have to say that I like Behind the B, especially the first classic program, which should be titled "The July the Fourth Massacre". And hell, the big kid in me even likes Bruins Academy a little bit - with the exception of Charlie Moore introducing segments. I'd recommend doing a shot every time he uses a form of the verb "love" and the noun "hockey" in an overly enthusiastic sentence, but I'd fear I'd be responsible for some blackouts. I thought it was just part of his schtick because it's supposed to be a kids' program, but I accidentally left NESN on and saw him talking about cherrys, chocolate, and vodka in the EXACT same way he talks about hockey....basically, Romper Room for adults.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad