OT - Genie Bouchard

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
That's not the point...Why not women's hockey next or figure skating or lacrosse? This forum is getting filled with more and more crap unrelated to the Leafs..Pretty soon people will be ignoring the entire forum...Just my 2 cents.
Carry on...

Well, there used to be a single OT thread for these kinds of things, but that got shut down after **** was flipped and everything went out of hand.

Besides, to have 2 Canadians this high up in the world tennis rankings is a huge accomplishment. It deserves some recognition.

mikebel111*

Thought I would bump this. Genie's fall from grace is unexplainable. Looked like a superstar, and now looks like one who just wants too get off the court ASAP.
Is it because the fame got too her head? Is it because her run was just a fluke? Is it because she is just in a big slump? I don't know but to see this huge fall, you have too feel for her.
My opinion and I thought of this when she was doing great, I thought people were overrating her a tad even during this great span of tennis and its starting to show in the last year. Now I am not ripping her or anything, I just think she isn't as good as that run, but she also isn't as bad as the last year. I think somewhere in the middle which is still good mind you. Now she has potential to be amazing but for a girl whose mental game was one of her strengths, has quickly become a negative

I am hoping she turns it around though

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Thought I would bump this. Genie's fall from grace is unexplainable. Looked like a superstar, and now looks like one who just wants too get off the court ASAP.
Is it because the fame got too her head? Is it because her run was just a fluke? Is it because she is just in a big slump? I don't know but to see this huge fall, you have too feel for her.

Doesn't seem to me much different than a hockey player having a career year, shooting up the scoring leaders for a year, then regressing. I think if she was destined to be one of the elite players she would have been ranked in the top 10 by age 17-18. At that level all it probably takes if you're not one of the elite players is one tiny nagging injury or one little flaw in your game to drop a lot in the rankings. I don't really follow Tennis though.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It seems as if she does fine up until her serve gets broken, then the white flag is unfurled and the floodgates open for the rest of the set. Hell, even if she's ahead a break in the set, if she gets broken, the floodgates still seem to open.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Her head got to big for her. Luckily she is young, and if she learns from this year's mistakes. She may overcome this blip.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
It seems as if she does fine up until her serve gets broken, then the white flag is unfurled and the floodgates open for the rest of the set. Hell, even if she's ahead a break in the set, if she gets broken, the floodgates still seem to open.

Pretty much this.

She gets rattled, and then becomes overzealous.

Every single shot she tries to rifle for a winner... she needs to pick her spots a lot better. I admire her tenacity, but it's almost as if she's bought into the hype a bit too much... like people have told her when she's down, she can always just hammer her way to the top.

She's not Serena.

I was the same way when I played competitively (was nationally ranked as a junior at one point, though many years ago)... I did the same thing. I had a crazy forehand winner that I thought was my ace in the hole... so every single forehand I got, I tried to smash it down the line. It worked... sometimes... until I realize I was costing myself a whole ton of points based on unrealistic shots.

Overall though, she has to make a choice - she's either gonna choose to be a hot piece of ass that plays tennis, or she's going to be a world class tennis player. The way things ended with Savarino spoke a great deal to her mindset. She needs to beg his forgiveness, beg him back as her coach, and take a couple of tournaments off to find her game.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well I think she got a little too big for her britches for the most part. + I think it's a bit mental (like Sharapova slipped big time before she came back up) so it's not like she can't over come it - but she needs to seriously get her poop together.

If it were me - i would just take the rest of the year off, and figure out everything. get a proper coach, cancel all the modeling and what not - and decide you're going to be a tennis super star. and then work at that.realise that she was incredibly lucky last year (I think the only people she beat ranked higher than her was Halep?) and start winning smaller tournaments (like Benic the girl who beat her - beat Serena AND won her 2nd. which is 2 things better than Genie who never beat Serena, and only has 1 tour victory).

then come back and like Swerv said - just.. don't break down if you get broken, or don't pretend your Serena and slug it out. that's not your game.

I agree with TribalPhoenix. (this was on a piece with Mark Masterson TSN) - a lot of people make it sound (or assume) that Genie dumped Saviano - but on the circuit it's actually the other way around. Saviano dumped Genie. Admit your wrong and go back. (or find someone else) or - you're just the next Anna Kournikova

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The hype on this girl last year was enormous, and it all came crashing down when she came back to her home town. Her head needs to get back 100% on tennis and away from all of the attention she is getting on the side (like all the modeling).

Don't really get how people are saying 21 is some how not young? She's already cracked the top 5 if I'm not mistaken, lots of time to get back.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
for what it's worth the player she lost to in the first round won the tournament this past week, and yes I do realize after her terrible year it's not worth much at all.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
21 isn't all that young for tennis.

In tennis it is a prime age. I remember when Seles and Graf when they were just in their teens.

I do think she has a maturity problem. I don't know why she dumped her coach she had so much success with, I do not know why she refused to shake hands with opponents, I know she passed on playing Davis Cup atleast once for Canada, and from what I read in papers it sure seems her head got too big too soon.

Hopefully, she will learn from this year. Humility can teach such wonderful lessons in life.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
I think she over-achieved early in her career, and probably shouldn't have fired her coach(Saviano) whom she was having success with.
Hopefully she can turn things around.:nod:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
In tennis it is a prime age. I remember when Seles and Graf when they were just in their teens.

I do think she has a maturity problem. I don't know why she dumped her coach she had so much success with, I do not know why she refused to shake hands with opponents, I know she passed on playing Davis Cup atleast once for Canada, and from what I read in papers it sure seems her head got too big too soon.

Hopefully, she will learn from this year. Humility can teach such wonderful lessons in life.

She didn't shake that girl's hand in a pre match presser, not after a loss or win. Huge difference, and she has stated that she just doesn't believe in wishing her opponents luck before they play, but would never stiff someone after the match.

Not exactly a classy gesture, but lots of athletes have dumb rituals.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
She didn't shake that girl's hand in a pre match presser, not after a loss or win. Huge difference, and she has stated that she just doesn't believe in wishing her opponents luck before they play, but would never stiff someone after the match.

Not exactly a classy gesture, but lots of athletes have dumb rituals.

Sportsmanship is lame? It wasn't mature however one wants to excuse it. Look at her laugh it off while her teammates look totally unimpressed.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
Well I think she got a little too big for her britches for the most part. + I think it's a bit mental (like Sharapova slipped big time before she came back up) so it's not like she can't over come it - but she needs to seriously get her poop together.

If it were me - i would just take the rest of the year off, and figure out everything. get a proper coach, cancel all the modeling and what not - and decide you're going to be a tennis super star. and then work at that.realise that she was incredibly lucky last year (I think the only people she beat ranked higher than her was Halep?) and start winning smaller tournaments (like Benic the girl who beat her - beat Serena AND won her 2nd. which is 2 things better than Genie who never beat Serena, and only has 1 tour victory).

then come back and like Swerv said - just.. don't break down if you get broken, or don't pretend your Serena and slug it out. that's not your game.

I agree with TribalPhoenix. (this was on a piece with Mark Masterson TSN) - a lot of people make it sound (or assume) that Genie dumped Saviano - but on the circuit it's actually the other way around. Saviano dumped Genie. Admit your wrong and go back. (or find someone else) or - you're just the next Anna Kournikova

Actually, Genie did beat Serena at the start of this year(Jan.) in Perth at the Hopman Cup 2015.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
she should focus more on tennis and less on modeling.

and this losing streak is well deserved karma for firing Coach Saviano.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
She has the kind of game--taking the ball extremely early on her ground strokes--that can get out of sync really fast, and lack of confidence only makes the situation worse. She needs good coaching and a ton of commitment if she is going to turn her career around, and there is no guarantee that either are forth-coming. She is in a really tough spot right now.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

I do think she has a maturity problem. I don't know why she dumped her coach she had so much success with, I do not know why she refused to shake hands with opponents, I know she passed on playing Davis Cup at least once for Canada, and from what I read in papers it sure seems her head got too big too soon.
She couldn't play in the Davis Cup if she wanted to as it is a men's competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad